PC game cancelled - WHY???

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: PC game cancelled - WHY???

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago
rhodyruckus wrote: 3 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago If you told me that I could play in a “Champions Classic” every year and play one of Kentucky, Duke, and Kansas on a rotating basis but I’d have to sacrifice the URI game for 10 years, Id choose the Champions Classic today, tomorrow, and for just about the rest of eternity.
Strawman much? It's not Kentucky, Duke and Kansas you're choosing this year, it's FDU.
That comment was meant to be tongue-and-cheek to whoever earlier said that they should have played even if their schedule already included Duke, Kentucky, etc. Point being I’d trade 10 years of URI for one shot at those guys.

I’m aware they went from URI to FDU, which appears to round out their OOC with 4 Q1/Q2 opportunities and 1 Q4 game.
And PC is flying to Ft Worth to play TCU, picked preseason to finish 8th in Big 12. Long trip for just a single game. But selfish Ed C has it all under control.

PC only playing 25 games. Only 5 OOC games.

The idea is to lessen travel in COVID times but Driscoll and Cooley know better. Just like PC had the proper procedures in place to prevent COVID spreading with the start of school.(cs)
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Scheduling Trend is to:
-limit travel
-play multiple games in one place
-Play more local games even restart some old former rivalries
-minimize or eliminate flights
-play at facilities that have COVID prevention plans in place

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Saint Louis has now dropped Orlando and will play in theory Lincoln Nebraska MTE.

SLU will be given at least 2 games vs NET 50 Teams.

A 6 hour drive from St Louis to Lincoln. Get to play 3 games in bubble environment.

Travis Ford wants to play 9 OOC Games.

SLU-Memphis home-home just got moved to Starting next year Instead of this season.

rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

And PC is flying to Ft Worth to play TCU, picked preseason to finish 8th in Big 12. Long trip for just a single game. But selfish Ed C has it all under control.
PC/Cooley didn't schedule TCU. The Big East and the Big 12 scheduled PC to play TCU in the spring. It was a league decision. The two conferences have had a great working relationship and they decided to play games this season.

But as an aside, you point out that TCU is picked preseason to finish 8th in the Big 12. The Big 12 regularly sends 6-7 teams to the tournament. In the last 5 tournament seasons, in two of them, the #8 team in the Big 12 was a 1 seed in the NIT. In two others, the #8 Big 12 team missed the NIT but was a Top 55 KenPom team. The game is basically a stone-cold lock to at worst be a Q2 game, with the chance of being a Q1 game.

It's still going to be a decent opponent for a matchup he had no control over. And truth be told, who even knows if the game is played...
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I actually think with everything going on, they end up playing each other at some point in the season. Games will be cancelled and they will end up realizing they are the only good options for each other.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PC/Cooley didn't schedule TCU. The Big East and the Big 12 scheduled PC to play TCU in the spring. It was a league decision. The two conferences have had a great working relationship and they decided to play games this season.

But as an aside, you point out that TCU is picked preseason to finish 8th in the Big 12. The Big 12 regularly sends 6-7 teams to the tournament. In the last 5 tournament seasons, in two of them, the #8 team in the Big 12 was a 1 seed in the NIT. In two others, the #8 Big 12 team missed the NIT but was a Top 55 KenPom team. The game is basically a stone-cold lock to at worst be a Q2 game, with the chance of being a Q1 game.

It's still going to be a decent opponent for a matchup he had no control over. And truth be told, who even knows if the game is played...
TCU finished #8 last year too. (16-16) and (7-11).
Predicted #8 this year too.

Northwestern was dropped from PC Schedule as the Big 10 was smart to cancel. Northwestern is picked to finish #14 in the Big 10 out of 14 teams. A perennial bottom dweller.

Big12/Big East are not smart keeping this series. Dumb and risk taking to fly to Ft Worth for just a single game (And with no fans??????) To play a bottom Big 12 opponent. Makes no common sense.

https://bustingbrackets.com/2020/09/21/ ... son/amp/4/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago I actually think with everything going on, they end up playing each other at some point in the season. Games will be cancelled and they will end up realizing they are the only good options for each other.
URI is lining up games now. We will have a full schedule.
Cooley, Driscoll and RJ only want 25 games with 5 OOC Games:
Maui at Asheville NC - 3 games
At TCU
FDU

URI wants 27 games so 9 OOC games.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Northwestern was dropped from PC Schedule as the Big 10 was smart to cancel. Northwestern is picked to finish #14 in the Big 10 out of 14 teams. A perennial bottom dweller.

Big12/Big East are not smart keeping this series. Dumb and risk taking to fly to Ft Worth for just a single game (And with no fans??????) To play a bottom Big 12 opponent. Makes no common sense.

I mean you are kinda wrong because Northwestern was never on PC's schedule ... Gavitt Games never announced opponents and PC played at Northwestern last season.

The problem is you are looking at the PC/TCU game wrong -- PC has no control over the game, zero. I'd guess if Cooley had it his way he'd get out of that. But it's a league decision, not his. I'm sure he's not sitting there saying "I can't wait to fly to Dallas and play TCU." In fact his quotes the other day were rather somber on just trying to play games, period. But at least it's still a solid opponent (Q1/Q2) as far as pre-arranged games go.

So yes, I think that's why they are cool with 25 games. So are many other teams. It's been reported that many teams were only looking to schedule max 25 games. It was reported by Rothstein I think, maybe two weeks ago. Teams want to allow more time for conference games over cramming OOC games into a small window.

If you think about it, playing 9 games over 4 weeks as you suggest for URI is over 2 games a week for a month. Is that realistic unless living in a bubble for a month? You think teams are going to come and go from court-to-court playing every 2-3 nights and not have significant issues with postponing games? College football can't even do it with playing once per week.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Smart move by Maryland and George Mason announced today. December 4.

Only 33 miles between the schools

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Smart move by Maryland and George Mason announced today. December 4.

Only 33 miles between the schools

Doesn't Maryland have those 20 VERY tough Big Ten Conference games? And they are still scheduling an A-10 school? I thought things like that don't happen. ;) ;) ;)
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Allegedly Colley has no control over the TCU game but he can talk to the Big East honchos and ask them how much sense it makes to travel to TCU under the current COVID circumstances. It should not take much of an argument to convince them the trip should be canceled this year. He wants "to protect his players" but this more of his bull shit. How does he protect his guys by making this trip?

FTF
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago Allegedly Colley has no control over the TCU game but he can talk to the Big East honchos and ask them how much sense it makes to travel to TCU under the current COVID circumstances. It should not take much of an argument to convince them the trip should be canceled this year. He wants "to protect his players" but this more of his bull shit. How does he protect his guys by making this trip?

FTF
Nah.
Driscoll and Cooley have no control. Boo Hoo 😭 😭 😭

Games like that make no sense. The Big East and Big 10
keeping single games requiring air travel when majority of teams are choosing to play more local opponents and going to play in nearby MTEs such as in Mohegan Sun, Orlando, Lincoln, Boise and more opportunities popping up most every day.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I mean you are kinda wrong because Northwestern was never on PC's schedule ... Gavitt Games never announced opponents and PC played at Northwestern last season.

The problem is you are looking at the PC/TCU game wrong -- PC has no control over the game, zero. I'd guess if Cooley had it his way he'd get out of that. But it's a league decision, not his. I'm sure he's not sitting there saying "I can't wait to fly to Dallas and play TCU." In fact his quotes the other day were rather somber on just trying to play games, period. But at least it's still a solid opponent (Q1/Q2) as far as pre-arranged games go.

So yes, I think that's why they are cool with 25 games. So are many other teams. It's been reported that many teams were only looking to schedule max 25 games. It was reported by Rothstein I think, maybe two weeks ago. Teams want to allow more time for conference games over cramming OOC games into a small window.

If you think about it, playing 9 games over 4 weeks as you suggest for URI is over 2 games a week for a month. Is that realistic unless living in a bubble for a month? You think teams are going to come and go from court-to-court playing every 2-3 nights and not have significant issues with postponing games? College football can't even do it with playing once per week.
I’d disagree that Cooley and Driscoll have no control over this game. None? BS.
They could bring it to the BE and Big 10 leadership. PC could go to Dannyboy Gavitt. They could offer to move the game to next season. TCU doesn’t care, its their home game. For PC to travel and play a projected 8th place Big 10 team is stupid and COVID reckless.

As for 9 games its made simpler by MTEs such as are taking place around the country.
Iona will be playing 4 games at Mohegan Sun. Travel only 1 time. Playing in a well organized, COVID safety driven environment or bubble.

I’m 100% sure that players prefer 27 games instead of 25.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

They could bring it to the BE and Big 10 leadership. PC could go to Dannyboy Gavitt. They could offer to move the game to next season. TCU doesn’t care, its their home game. For PC to travel and play a projected 8th place Big 10 team is stupid and COVID reckless.

As for 9 games its made simpler by MTEs such as are taking place around the country.
Iona will be playing 4 games at Mohegan Sun. Travel only 1 time. Playing in a well organized, COVID safety driven environment or bubble.

The complaints about travel I think are definitely overstated -- Do you think when Seton Hall comes to play URI they are going to take a 4 hour bus ride, show up at the Ryan Center 3-4 hours before the game, and drive home that night? No ... They'll more than likely bus the day before, stay in a hotel, and play the game the next day and leave that night. PC is doing the same thing, except they'll charter a plane. They aren't going to be running through airports and sitting on crowded planes with civilians. It's the same thing every team will be doing once conference play starts. Reckless? That's your Keaney colored underwear talking. Now is it more risky? Sure, but I don't think it's reckless. And if the situation is reckless, at that point the games will be cancelled.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The complaints about travel I think are definitely overstated -- Do you think when Seton Hall comes to play URI they are going to take a 4 hour bus ride, show up at the Ryan Center 3-4 hours before the game, and drive home that night? No ... They'll more than likely bus the day before, stay in a hotel, and play the game the next day and leave that night. PC is doing the same thing, except they'll charter a plane. They aren't going to be running through airports and sitting on crowded planes with civilians. It's the same thing every team will be doing once conference play starts. Reckless? That's your Keaney colored underwear talking. Now is it more risky? Sure, but I don't think it's reckless. And if the situation is reckless, at that point the games will be cancelled.
Seton Hall takes a bus for 4 hours? What happened to charter flights?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You and Cooley keep talking about the small window of time to Play the OOC games. TCU will require at least a day to travel before the game, day of game and then likely fly home on the 3rd day. URI - PC would take less than a day for both teams.
Get rid of TCU and you can easily get another game in.

The MTE’s are great. Travel only to and from a relatively nearby location. play 2,3 or even 4 games. Stay in one hotel for all of the games, very COVID controlled environment. This is the way to go. Not single games against lower tier teams from P5 Conferences long distances away requiring airports.

Big 10 and BE should cancel this series this year. Dr Fauci has 3 children who told him they were not coming home For Thanksgiving. Fauci said Thanksgiving should be canceled today. I know what Dr Fauci would say about Traveling to Ft Worth for 1 single basketball game.

I get you will never question anything Cooley does, being his defense attorney, but seems you have PC underwear on just as I have my Keaney Blues. I admit it.

Drop TCU, play URI. But URI will have the schedule filled out soon, so don’t wait too long.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago Allegedly Colley has no control over the TCU game but he can talk to the Big East honchos and ask them how much sense it makes to travel to TCU under the current COVID circumstances. It should not take much of an argument to convince them the trip should be canceled this year. He wants "to protect his players" but this more of his bull shit. How does he protect his guys by making this trip?

FTF
I'm going to bet the game doesn't happen...
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

For the last time, there is no “drop TCU.” If the Big East decides not to play, they won’t play. If they decide to play, they play. It has nothing to do with what Cooley and PC want. They are one out of 10 voices.

As for questioning Cooley, I can absolutely question Cooley. I just challenge you guys because I think on many of these situations you approach it from a “what is best for me?” Or “what is best for URI?” Or “I hate PC” perspective. It’s very obvious, in this situation you are pissed the game isn’t being played so you’ll try to harp on every different reason why it should be played. Next will come that PC should fight the Big East to play less conference games.

If you don’t believe me go look at my comments today on the end of the Hurley/URI era on my board.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago For the last time, there is no “drop TCU.” If the Big East decides not to play, they won’t play. If they decide to play, they play. It has nothing to do with what Cooley and PC want. They are one out of 10 voices.

As for questioning Cooley, I can absolutely question Cooley. I just challenge you guys because I think on many of these situations you approach it from a “what is best for me?” Or “what is best for URI?” Or “I hate PC” perspective. It’s very obvious, in this situation you are pissed the game isn’t being played so you’ll try to harp on every different reason why it should be played. Next will come that PC should fight the Big East to play less conference games.

If you don’t believe me go look at my comments today on the end of the Hurley/URI era on my board.
I approach it as a fan. The students of both schools get robbed in this one. Once again, sports are entertainment. And yes, they're also big business, but the main purpose of these big businesses is to entertain fans. Businesses goals are to make money. No fans means no money. No, cancelling this game isn't going to end the business of college basketball. But it's still a horrible look.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago For the last time, there is no “drop TCU.” If the Big East decides not to play, they won’t play. If they decide to play, they play. It has nothing to do with what Cooley and PC want. They are one out of 10 voices.

I approach it as a fan. The students of both schools get robbed in this one. Once again, sports are entertainment. And yes, they're also big business, but the main purpose of these big businesses is to entertain fans. Businesses goals are to make money. No fans means no money. No, cancelling this game isn't going to end the business of college basketball. But it's still a horrible look.
I thought it was a bad look and was absolutely CRUSHED when the Sox let Bruce Hurst walk...it took me til that moment to realize, sports are a bidness that does not care about the fans, unless there is a big financial implication. Seems a waste of energy to get wound about something over which I have zero control, or influence.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Truthfully, I don't give a shit about PC at all. If they want to play, sure let's roll as it's highly convenient. If they don't want to play, then fine, whatever...I trust Cox to be able to put together a good OOC schedule and can replace PC with another team (it just won't be as convenient as playing a team inside our own small state).

It's the shenanigans PC pulled that aggravate me. The BS joint statement and then the slap in the face of scheduling FDU for literally the next day. For that reason, I truly hope it backfires on PC. Cooley's virtual presser didn't help at all either by providing zero accountability or explanation. I basically felt like he was Dave Chappelle working for Pop Copy...why cancel the URI game for FDU?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago why cancel the URI game for FDU?
Within the field of Psychology there is a notion held by many that there are one of two reasons we present any behavior which is not motivated by biology, fear and/or love. So, the answer to your question RhodyKyle is the love for playing FDU lol nah.

it's................................................................. wait for it........................................................... ............................ .......................................................................................................................................FEAR........................................................

take our psychological school of thought and wrap it up in Occam's razor and vouala we have 99.999% certainty.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

He should have been pressed on it by reporters.

I had been hearing rumblings for a while that Cooley wanted a cupcake or two on the schedule and felt the OOC as was drawing up wasn't going to get his younger or inexperienced players any real playing time before Big East play. So when it's obvious now they are anticipating a 25 game schedule, and 20 of those games are conference games, and 3 are MTE games, and 1 is a conference-challenge game, that leaves one game left to manuveur a cupcake into. See FDU.

I too would agree I don't know why the joint press release as it's evident it's garbage, although I would argue URI is just as culpable in that as they went along with it in the first place. I had said going back 2 weeks that I didn't mind the decision I just wanted them to own it, and Cooley did say that it was selfishly motivated and that he wanted to do what he felt was in the best interest of his team so that was sufficient for me. I'm glad that he didn't fall back on the BS press release.

Now, Ramster claimed the other day I can't say anything negative about Cooley. That is patently false. You might not see it as much here because I often defend PC/Cooley among the sea of Keaney Blue speedos, but I'm far from a Cooley hardo, and I have many criticisms of him. Anyone who has read my posts at all over the past decade, at least on the other board, would see that. This just isn't one thing that I think is that big a deal, frankly in the scope of my fandom, I might care less than 1%.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Let's not forget that the press release was issued BEFORE it was announced that the FDU game was scheduled for that Friday. Dropping our game for a clear cupcake was what started the controversy. The reasons the Friars used to justify cancelling our game were clearly made up.
Needless to say: FTF
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

I had been hearing rumblings for a while that Cooley wanted a cupcake or two on the schedule and felt the OOC as was drawing up wasn't going to get his younger or inexperienced players any real playing time before Big East play. So when it's obvious now they are anticipating a 25 game schedule, and 20 of those games are conference games, and 3 are MTE games, and 1 is a conference-challenge game, that leaves one game left to manuveur a cupcake into. See FDU.

I too would agree I don't know why the joint press release as it's evident it's garbage, although I would argue URI is just as culpable in that as they went along with it in the first place. I had said going back 2 weeks that I didn't mind the decision I just wanted them to own it, and Cooley did say that it was selfishly motivated and that he wanted to do what he felt was in the best interest of his team so that was sufficient for me. I'm glad that he didn't fall back on the BS press release.

Now, Ramster claimed the other day I can't say anything negative about Cooley. That is patently false. You might not see it as much here because I often defend PC/Cooley among the sea of Keaney Blue speedos, but I'm far from a Cooley hardo, and I have many criticisms of him. Anyone who has read my posts at all over the past decade, at least on the other board, would see that. This just isn't one thing that I think is that big a deal, frankly in the scope of my fandom, I might care less than 1%.
I get it and my post wasn't aimed at trying to call you out. I've agreed with dozens and dozens of your posts over the years and I have posted here in defense of you and the perspective you bring so I hope you didn't think it was a shot towards you because that wasn't my intention.

I wish instead of giving a Bill Belichick answer of "I just do what's best for the team" Cooley owned it and said the rest of our OOC is a grind and we felt like we needed a game to catch our breath. There's no need to worry about FDU's feelings - they know what they are. Cooley seemed to just try and brush past the question instead of explicitly stating it was his decision to cancel and there is no interest in trying to reschedule this year.

I do want to point of Baylor as an example of a team going the complete opposite direction of PC. They have a B12 conference slate which, objectively and unequivocally, is harder than the BE slate. Baylor also has their MTE and challenge games. With their "limited/compressed OOC window" they went and scheduled a neutral game against Gonzaga. Baylor is loading up their non-con schedule with as many difficult games as possible.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago
I do want to point of Baylor as an example of a team going the complete opposite direction of PC. They have a B12 conference slate which, objectively and unequivocally, is harder than the BE slate. Baylor also has their MTE and challenge games. With their "limited/compressed OOC window" they went and scheduled a neutral game against Gonzaga. Baylor is loading up their non-con schedule with as many difficult games as possible.
I understand that, but I would like to point out that Baylor and PC are in slightly different spots. Last year Baylor went 26-4, and more than likely would have been a #1 seed in the tournament. Every major publication has Baylor as a preseason Top 3 team in the country, some with them as the preseason #1.

Compare that to PC, PC lost their starting 1, 4, 5, and their top reserve guard from a team that would have been a 8/9 seed in the tournament. They need to work through a lot of new faces, specifically get their transfers Bynum, Goodine, and Horchler comfortable, and try to get their freshmen (Breed, Davis) and more inexperienced players (Nichols, Monroe) some minutes to see what is there. If they don't get those guys any minutes in the OOC, it's going to be really hard to find them minutes in Big East play.

I've seen many publications suggest solid preseason metrics for PC, but seem to be consistent with a team beginning the season in bubble territory. I think there are too many variables there for PC to go the "gauntlet" route. If PC had an established roster without many question marks, I'd be more accepting of the approach.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago I understand that, but I would like to point out that Baylor and PC are in slightly different spots. Last year Baylor went 26-4, and more than likely would have been a #1 seed in the tournament. Every major publication has Baylor as a preseason Top 3 team in the country, some with them as the preseason #1. This I agree with and they're scheduling like they're gunning for the #1 overall seed come March.

Compare that to PC, PC lost their starting 1, 4, 5, and their top reserve guard from a team that would have been a 8/9 seed in the tournament. They need to work through a lot of new faces, specifically get their transfers Bynum, Goodine, and Horchler comfortable, and try to get their freshmen (Breed, Davis) and more inexperienced players (Nichols, Monroe) some minutes to see what is there. If they don't get those guys any minutes in the OOC, it's going to be really hard to find them minutes in Big East play. Every team has transfers and freshmen that need to get settled in (I'm sure you recall the ~800 transfers in the portal this Spring and Summer) so I won't buy that excuse. I will buy into losing 3 starters so resetting the starting line-up is legit. Though Watson did play almost as much as Young (19 mpg vs 20 mpg) so it's not like Watson played 10 mpg and is replacing a 30 mpg player. I think the biggest loss in terms of minutes is Diallo.

I've seen many publications suggest solid preseason metrics for PC, but seem to be consistent with a team beginning the season in bubble territory. I think there are too many variables there for PC to go the "gauntlet" route. If PC had an established roster without many question marks, I'd be more accepting of the approach. Fair points.
Added comments in red.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Chris Disano's take on this. He's got it right.

PROVIDENCE VERSUS RHODE ISLAND

This is simple. When you have a rivalry game, you play it.

Is this a rivalry game? That is Question 1. For a host of reasons historical, geographical, and emotional, we know PC v. URI qualifies. If you need an additional nudge, understand that two athletic directors do not feel compelled to issue a joint statement on the cancellation of a game when it is not a rivalry.

If the answer to Question 1 is yes, then Question 2 which is, “How does “X” game fit into our strategic scheduling,” becomes moot. The arguments related to metrics, taking care of our team, and tournament aspirations – like the ones we have heard since facts came to light about the no-play decision being driven by Providence – are cute and convenient. They are also nonstarters. That is because Question 2 is an annual question. It is a fresh analysis that staffs must conduct, anew, each year when piecing their schedule together. It’s also the same analysis that the staffs at Providence and URI have ignored since Woodrow Wilson was President.

Why? Because rivalries transcend players, coaches, administrators, metrics and — not only years — but decades.

Rivalries are anything but annual. They are unassailably perennial, like the 132 game all-time series between these programs.

So, when you back into an annual argument attempting to justify the shelving of a century old, perennial engagement, expect the blowback.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Chris Disano's take on this. He's got it right.

PROVIDENCE VERSUS RHODE ISLAND

This is simple. When you have a rivalry game, you play it.

Is this a rivalry game? That is Question 1. For a host of reasons historical, geographical, and emotional, we know PC v. URI qualifies. If you need an additional nudge, understand that two athletic directors do not feel compelled to issue a joint statement on the cancellation of a game when it is not a rivalry.

If the answer to Question 1 is yes, then Question 2 which is, “How does “X” game fit into our strategic scheduling,” becomes moot. The arguments related to metrics, taking care of our team, and tournament aspirations – like the ones we have heard since facts came to light about the no-play decision being driven by Providence – are cute and convenient. They are also nonstarters. That is because Question 2 is an annual question. It is a fresh analysis that staffs must conduct, anew, each year when piecing their schedule together. It’s also the same analysis that the staffs at Providence and URI have ignored since Woodrow Wilson was President.

Why? Because rivalries transcend players, coaches, administrators, metrics and — not only years — but decades.

Rivalries are anything but annual. They are unassailably perennial, like the 132 game all-time series between these programs.

So, when you back into an annual argument attempting to justify the shelving of a century old, perennial engagement, expect the blowback.

Perfect demonstration why Chris DiSano is an incisive and insightful sports writer going places while Bill Koch's writing is pedestrian and predictable.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago Let's not forget that the press release was issued BEFORE it was announced that the FDU game was scheduled for that Friday. Dropping our game for a clear cupcake was what started the controversy. The reasons the Friars used to justify cancelling our game were clearly made up.
Needless to say: FTF
And now they’ve got a whole year to cook up new excuses for backing out of next year’s game.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......me thinks they will gladly take us on next year at the Dump, and Cooley will somehow see the light, that this game is good for RI......then complain about having to go to Kingston and revert to that the game should only be played at the Dump.......no?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

DiSano sums up my feelings. He hit the nail on the head. Rivalry games are that for a reason and are not strategically scheduled or not...
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

If I remember correctly Cooley is on record of not thinking the game is a rivalry. What planet is he on? He is great in front of a TV camera but pretty pedestrian when on the bench coaching his team. Admittedly he wants to see how some of his new players and players who have not played a lot of minutes can perform on the court as the Big East schedule looms. What does he expect to learn about what they can do vs FDU.
FTF
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Cooley grew up in this state and even coached at URI. He knows it's a rivalry. When he said it wasn't,he was lying.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

This whole thing is great locker room material for FDU...PC backed out of an almost century old rivalry game to play us so they could get their young players a chance to play, and not risk losing a game. They think we suck that bad.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

What a message this sends to the PC players. We don’t think you can easily beat URI, the team we have every perceived advantage over, and who only has 3 returning players, so we will cancel our annual rivalry game with them and play these pansies instead. Way to instill confidence in your team and teach them to step up to the challenge.

Not to mention also showing them authority figures publicly lying about it. This is a Catholic school still, isn’t it?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Cooley grew up in this state and even coached at URI. He knows it's a rivalry. When he said it wasn't,he was lying.
Absolutely he was lying when he said it wasn’t a rivalry. He just loves to get in front of the microphone and spout off his BS. The local press (or Some to be fair) just eat up Cooley’s bs and reprint it verbatim.
He also lied when saying the game was cancelled This year because both schools couldn’t find a date to play.

I’ve not been a Cooley fan for a long time.

I’ve posted long ago here I’d take Dan Hurley over Cooley. Today? It’s not even close. Hurley in a slam dunk. I’ll take David Cox straight up over Cooley as well.

But I hope Cooley stays at PC for life as they gave him one of those Jim Baron contacts. Cooley and PC deserve each other.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RIFan wrote: 3 years ago What a message this sends to the PC players. We don’t think you can easily beat URI, the team we have every perceived advantage over, and who only has 3 returning players, so we will cancel our annual rivalry game with them and play these pansies instead. Way to instill confidence in your team and teach them to step up to the challenge.

Not to mention also showing them authority figures publicly lying about it. This is a Catholic school still, isn’t it?
You just don’t cancel rivalry games.

Unless you are Driscoll and Cooley.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You are right. I don’t see it here.

Cooley and Driscoll, (along with Thorr and Cox) said the game was cancelled because they couldn’t find a date to play. A lie - not even close to the full story.

You went to great lengths to justify why the game should not be played. PC doesn’t need the URI game. PC needs cupcakes. PC has too many tough games in the brutal Big East Conference. PC has so many Quad 1, Quad 2 games it’s beyond brutal - they just had to drop URI. Cry me a River.

You sound like Bill Koch feeling the need to support the PC decision by Cooley and Driscoll.

Who cares if URI needs or benefits from the game more than PC. That’s been the case for 50+ years. It’s irrelevant.

The game should never have been cancelled.

PC and URI used to play 2 games per year. Later 1 and it was played at the Dunk every year. PC feels they are doing URI a favor playing home games at the Ryan. They hate that. Would surprise me to see the series cancelled just like Xavier cancelled the Dayton rivalry when Xavier joined the Big East.

Bill Reynolds, Kevin McNamara, Chris Disano, Jon Rothstein, Jeff Goodman and many others know it. You and Bill Koch spent your time justifying why this was such a good decision. Looking for any reason to justify it. Parroting Cooley and Driscoll words and not challenging any of their reasoning. Instead of questioning Cooley some just parrot his words and print them Verbatim like he’s some prophet.

It was a bad decision. Period.

Close proximity within 50 miles - perfect for COVID
No flights or hotels needed - perfect for COVID
Long time rivalry - except Cooley who lies and says it’s not a rivalry
Biggest sporting event in RI - year in, year out

Why we can’t have good things in Rhode Island

Paw Sox to Worcester because of selfish politicians
PC-URI cancelled because of selfish AD and HC

Players and Fans suffer

Thanks to Chris Disano, Bill Reynolds and Kevin McNamara for calling PC out on this joke of a selfish decision.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Some good quotes from Dan Hurley in KMAC’s Twitter

Hope UConn demolishes the Fryuzzz

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Add Jim Donaldson among R.I. Sports Reporters (new and old) who Questioned the logic of cancelling this gane

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

At least I don't have to root for PC to win this year. They have no impact on us. Just another slight against URI and another chapter in the history of the series.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 3 years ago You sound like Bill Koch feeling the need to support the PC decision by Cooley and Driscoll.
I think from a fan base perspective, the depths of the rivalry are overstated. Any PC fan born in RI, URI is often among the top opponents on the home schedule. Most out-of-state alumni though, they really don't care about the URI game. Most of it has to do with when they went to PC and if URI was any good. If URI had good teams for an extended period, they might be more passion. If URI was in a bad stretch, no hatred or anticipation built there, so they really don't care. And PC does have a significant out-of-state alumni base passionate on the basketball side, so that does make an impact.

Most CT-based Friar fans/alumni care more about UCONN. Other out of state alumni care about the Big East competition, and the elite games they bring into the Dunk.

So when you talk about this outcry like the fans are lost and missing something great, I think there are a fair amount of the RI PC fans that may feel that way, but many have plenty of other quality games they are looking forward to. For that reason from the totality of the fan base you are going to see mostly indifference to the loss of the game from PC fans. If this was a normal year (fans in the stands), URI would probably be the 4th or 5th most anticipated home game. If it were more anticipated among the fanbase, perhaps it's more of an unmovable object.

Just how it is...
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

RIFan wrote: 3 years ago At least I don't have to root for PC to win this year. They have no impact on us. Just another slight against URI and another chapter in the history of the series.
Good point. we don't want them bringing our metrics down when they go 7 and 18 this season.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago You sound like Bill Koch feeling the need to support the PC decision by Cooley and Driscoll.
I think from a fan base perspective, the depths of the rivalry are overstated. Any PC fan born in RI, URI is often among the top opponents on the home schedule. Most out-of-state alumni though, they really don't care about the URI game. Most of it has to do with when they went to PC and if URI was any good. If URI had good teams for an extended period, they might be more passion. If URI was in a bad stretch, no hatred or anticipation built there, so they really don't care. And PC does have a significant out-of-state alumni base passionate on the basketball side, so that does make an impact.

Most CT-based Friar fans/alumni care more about UCONN. Other out of state alumni care about the Big East competition, and the elite games they bring into the Dunk.

So when you talk about this outcry like the fans are lost and missing something great, I think there are a fair amount of the RI PC fans that may feel that way, but many have plenty of other quality games they are looking forward to. For that reason from the totality of the fan base you are going to see mostly indifference to the loss of the game from PC fans. If this was a normal year (fans in the stands), URI would probably be the 4th or 5th most anticipated home game. If it were more anticipated among the fanbase, perhaps it's more of an unmovable object.

Just how it is...
Just like I have been saying for several years now. PC is physically located in RI but really isn't anymore a "Rhode Island" school in character and makeup. Only draws about 10% of its enrollment from RI. No longer the school where children of the once plentiful Irish and Italian Catholic families from RI's urban core go for an education. Specifically caters itself to outside the state.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Just how it is...
The rivalry is overstated?????? LMAO!!!! How old are you?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

How about this? Yes, the schedule should have changed this year due to COVID. They should be playing each other TWICE!!!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago The rivalry is overstated?????? LMAO!!!! How old are you?
I'm 31. I'm also not saying I don't appreciate the rivalry. Perhaps my earliest definitive PC memory is sitting at the PCC with my parents (mid-90s) for a PC/URI game. I can remember sitting with my grandparents maybe a year or so later when PC was a "road" team at the PCC. I made it mission for a long-time to attend every PC/URI game, home or road, until the last few years when it became impossible to get tickets. I was at the RC in '05, '07, '09, '11, '13, '15. '09 was probably my favorite when Jim Baron got on the mic and asked the students to storm the court :lol: :lol: But me, little RJ who grew up in RI is not the person I'm really talking about here.

I'm talking about the numerous alumnus from CT who really don't care that much about URI. I'm talking about the numerous alumnus from the Boston area who really don't care that much about URI. I'm talking about the numerous alumnus from out of New England who really don't care about URI. There is a huge base of PC fans who really could not care all that much about URI or this game.