Week #15 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Week #15 - Games of Interest

Unread post by ramster »

During the game they were showing Akok and his face was flooded with tears. His foot was in a boot. You could tell by the reactions it must be serious.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

That sucks so bad.

That is a really hard injury to come back from.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Hartford Courant reporting Akok tore his Achilles. They were definitely tending to him as it was serious. Akok and Hurley were emotional. Dan wiping away tears at halftime.
Compared it to EC Matthews in postgame presser
I feel bad for Akok but the EC situation was different. Akok is a Fr that needs to develop his game and is on a team going nowhere. He will recover and have several years to start developing. EC was injured the first game of his Jr year after he was invited to the NBA Prospects Camp in the summer. He was the star player on a team expected to have a good chance at making the Tournament.

I wish the best for Akok.
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rough news from Akok that’s a killer injury
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I feel really bad for these kids with serious injuries. They are career altering in many cases.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Big Ten Bubble Games today 02-16-2020:

Wrong side of the bubble team Minnesota lost at home to Iowa 58-55 getting outscored 11-0 in the last 5:25. Minnesota is now 12-12 and 6-8 in the conference. The Golden Gophers are likely now off the bubble for good.

Michigan strengthened its position with a home win 89-65 today over one of the last in bubble teams Indiana. The Hoosiers are now 16-9 and had a shaky NET rank of #57 prior to tip off.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Wrong side of the bubble team Minnesota lost at home to Iowa 58-55 getting outscored 11-0 in the last 5:25. Minnesota is now 12-12 and 6-8 in the conference. The Golden Gophers are likely now off the bubble for good.
While Minnesota’s chances at the tournament took a bit of a hit today, I wouldn’t count them out yet. Their NET rating was 40 as of yesterday and losing to Iowa won’t negatively influence it much. I hate the fact that 11 of their 14 teams are still in play (I think Indiana played its way out today) and hope it ends up something like 8, but I’m preparing for as many as 10.
The good news is, if you think this conference is overrated, one of these teams would make a great first round opponent for Rhody.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Going to be at least 10 teams from Big 10

If both IU and Purdue both make it that makes 11
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Hartford Courant reporting Akok tore his Achilles. They were definitely tending to him as it was serious. Akok and Hurley were emotional. Dan wiping away tears at halftime.
I feel bad for Akok but the EC situation was different. Akok is a Fr that needs to develop his game and is on a team going nowhere. He will recover and have several years to start developing. EC was injured the first game of his Jr year after he was invited to the NBA Prospects Camp in the summer. He was the star player on a team expected to have a good chance at making the Tournament.

Completely agree with this. I was actually talking about EC with someone yesterday. That whole situation still tugs at my heart.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

BC Nc State winding down into a close one in quiet center forum.

Could be a devastating loss for the Wolfpack. They have Duke and Louisville after this one.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I was thinking of EC when I saw him come back wearing a walking boot.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ASU gets a much needed win for their bubble chances
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago BC Nc State winding down into a close one in quiet center forum.

Could be a devastating loss for the Wolfpack. They have Duke and Louisville after this one.
BC beats NC State at Conte 71-68

Will hurt the Wolfpack as their record falls to 16-9 and 7-7 in the ACC. Their NET rank was already in the danger zone at #61 before this loss.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Exactly, let’s cut the sanctimonious crap like our students wouldn’t do the same thing in the same situation. Hell ours didn’t even show up yesterday bc it was Valentine’s Day, are you F’ing kidding me. That is WAY more embarrassing than some students being overzealous and running on the court early.
Woah, woah, woah....hold on one second. Booty or basketball? Hmmm....let's think about this one for a second. I give the students a pass on that. Booty or basketball?
I'll let everyone else be the judge on this. :P
All I can say is that when the Mrs. calls, the Dude abides.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

It amazes me some of the takes on this board.

Like people have never watched college basketball before.

Storming the court is unique and awesome. If you beat a top 10 team at home, you should celebrate.

Like a few sanctimonious people on here like to say: THEYRE KIDS.

PC kids should’ve stormed the floor - knocking off a top 10 team. Anyone casting stones at them should have looked in the north end zone yesterday before they thought about admonishing any other program’s fans.

Yelling, drinking, and storming the court is FUN. It’s apparently allowed everywhere else in the college basketball world but the Ryan Center.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody players taking advantage of a few off days. Cyril back in NJ and Tyrese home in PA. IG story shows Walker, Long & Toppin all in the RC practicing.
“We will be good when we are good.”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

In an unanticipated event involving a tee shirt yesterday, I nearly (safely) tumbled out of our section into 107. Upshot is, if there's a court-storm necessary, I know I can survive getting down there - it's not that far. Just don't ask me to climb back up.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Not a big upset as Seton Hall was favored by only 2 points.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago

When a player goes down with a traumatic injury during the game, especially in the first minute or so, it brings back bad memories. Not sure it’s necessary to “well actually” this and clinically break down the differences later. None of that changes how it feels to his coaches and teammates. UConn already lost another starter to an ACL tear a few weeks ago, but that didn’t seem like EC’s. We all know the situation around EC’s injury. Aside from that, UConn’s a team who, before the injury, started three freshmen and were improving almost every game. No, they’re not a tournament team, but “going nowhere” isn’t right, either. Great atmosphere at the game today- sold out (15,000+), lots of alum and recruits, it feels like the whole thing’s getting right- and then that happens right out of the gate. It felt very similar, like you can have one good thing (the win) but also here’s this gut punch and maybe see you in 21-22. Injuries are so incredibly unfair and brutal when they happen to college kids. Akok’s one of the good ones, such a great young man and so easy to root for.
Last edited by ace 4 years ago, edited 6 times in total.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Yeah, I’m posting UConn stuff, hope he can deal with it. This thread will be over soon, anyway, but look at Akok up on one leg celebrating this Bouknight dunk. Damn, I hate this for him.

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Strong win by San Diego State at Boise State
SDSU favored by 5, won by 17 to stay undefeated
steviep123
Sly Williams

Would love a Dayton vs. SD State championship. Of course the selection committee will probably have them set in the same region
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Airing of grievances- “I’ve got a lot of problems with you people “

(For those too young or don’t get the reference, this is from Seinfeld’s Festivus episode).
Bleed Keaney Blue!

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

ace wrote: 4 years ago Yeah, I’m posting UConn stuff, hope he can deal with it. This thread will be over soon, anyway, but look at Akok up on one leg celebrating this Bouknight dunk. Damn, I hate this for him.

That one was tough to watch, can’t help but feel bad for Akok who was openly weeping on the bench. Total gut punch for Dan. Same injury Durant is currently recovering from. 9-12 month rehab usually. He was a foundational piece for Dan so it’s definitely a big loss.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago In today's bubble action

Third to last bye Arizona State at California at 6 on ESPNU
Fourth to last in Wichita State vs Tulane on CBSSN. Wichita State was up 42-16 with 3:50 left in the first half at last check
Third to last in NC State at Boston College at 6 on ACCN
Second to last in Cincinnati won at Eastern Carolina 70-67 in OT
Third out Memphis at UConn at 3 on ESPN
Arizona State won 80-75
Wichita State won 82-57
NC State lost 71-68
Memphis lost 64-61

Bubble teams are 65-59
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago Would love a Dayton vs. SD State championship. Of course the selection committee will probably have them set in the same region

Please, just anybody but Duke.

I'd rather it be Kansas than Duke!

We have been on a pretty good streak here with Villanova x2 and UVA winning.

Need a Gonzaga, SDSU, Dayton win.

Somebody is going to have to stop Fatts Jeff and Cyril to get there though...
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

GO RAMS
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Re: Storming the court

If you're old, you'll remember this. Once upon a time, just about all the games involving Philadelphia's Big 5 schools were played at the Palestra, where by tradition when the home team scored its first basket, students in the end zone would throw streamers onto the court. Everyone knew it was coming. The referee would blow the whistle, the ball boys would gather them quickly and the game would then continue.

Imagine the reaction if that happened today.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Ah the Palestra. What a place to watch a hoops game. I saw 2 A10 tourneys there in 92&93. One of the games was St. Joe’s Cs. Temple and it was a great atmosphere!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago Re: Storming the court

If you're old, you'll remember this. Once upon a time, just about all the games involving Philadelphia's Big 5 schools were played at the Palestra, where by tradition when the home team scored its first basket, students in the end zone would throw streamers onto the court. Everyone knew it was coming. The referee would blow the whistle, the ball boys would gather them quickly and the game would then continue.

Imagine the reaction if that happened today.
I remember those days going back to the late 1970's. There used to be double and triple headers at the Palestra on Saturday afternoons as the Big-5 schools played all their games there. They were televised on one of the then three major networks. Back then there was no ESPN and other sports channels with very few games on tv. The Palestra looked big time in those days and it was cool with the sun shining in through some of the windows. Play was stopped after the post first score streamers.