Top 25 Polls 2019-20

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Re: Top 25 Polls 2019-20

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

McRam wrote: 4 years ago Recruiting is enough reason to want to be ranked by others in the top 25- do you think these kids we have offers out to want to tell their friends they are going to go to a top 25 basketball school. ?????? :D :D
THIS I agree with. However, it looks like the 2-3 kids that are listed on our recruiting page aren't making a decision anytime soon, so I would still rather be ranked to finish out the year, rather than for less than one week in early February.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

And you can disagree but many teams loss once ranked and dont get punished for losing to a higher ranked team and winning there other game that week and dont see a change in there ranking. Every fan should want to see there team ranked its an honor for the hard work put in all year. Losing at #6 dayton will not change any of our metrics. Its not like getting ranked and losing to UMass. It wont all of sudden make us an overrated team.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I think this is Seth’s list of teams just outside his Top 25
“We will be good when we are good.”
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago And you can disagree but many teams loss once ranked and dont get punished for losing to a higher ranked team and winning there other game that week and dont see a change in there ranking. Every fan should want to see there team ranked its an honor for the hard work put in all year. Losing at #6 dayton will not change any of our metrics. Its not like getting ranked and losing to UMass. It wont all of sudden make us an overrated team.
Ok. I'm not voting, so why do you care? It's like you are pleading with me to change my mind. We disagree on some subtle points.

Like I said, hold the vote on Wednesday, and this discussion doesn't even take place.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

He has Providence listed at #31. Did we not mop the floor with them? Or did I imagine that?
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yes we did
GO RAMS
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

URI'21 wrote: 4 years ago Some of these top 25 takes have been unbelievable. Have we done enough to earn it? YES!

LOSSES:
WVU, LSU, MD - no problem.
Richmond: Fine. They're a solid squad (#55 NET)
Brown: DISASTER!!!

With us winning our other 18 games including Bama, PC (SUCKS!), VCU (2x) Duq, Bona we have absolutely done enough to earn a top 25 ranking. Not to mention casually rattling off 10 straight!

In other words, rhodyfan3000 questioning if we deserve it is wrong because we have done plenty to earn this "honor".

Rhody83 believing that a ranking would change the players' mindsets is delusional because it's not going to affect our game play at all. On the other hand, a top 25 ranking gives our program NATIONAL RECOGNITION which is FANTASTIC! Rooting against that, as a URI fan, is just crazy to me.
I'm not going to say we do or don't deserve a top 25 ranking, but to list our accomplishments is only half of the story. No where in there did we beat a team currently in the top 30. You have to look at every other school's accomplishments and weigh them against ours. Maybe you've already done that.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago He has Providence listed at #31. Did we not mop the floor with them? Or did I imagine that?

"mop the floor" may be a bit of an exaggeration.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Did we not defeat the gentlemen from our immediate north in a convincing fashion, enough to establish who was the better team on that particular day?
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I think I'll be opting out of reading this page until next week, but then I'll probably have to catch up on meaningless back and forth between a few grouches.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Did we not defeat the gentlemen from our immediate north in a convincing fashion, enough to establish who was the better team on that particular day?

the final score was not totally indicative of how the game was played. we were ahead by 2 points and the game very much hanging in the balance with 6:30 left. we ended up winning going away, but to say we "mopped the floor with them" is pure hyperbole.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

did we win by one point or more?
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago did we win by one point or more?

yes...you win 3000. we mopped the floor with pc.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Butler beating #10 Nova and Illinois losing to #9 Maryland. Neither are dropping out of Top 25.
I hope Rhody doesn’t get in Top 25 this week. No need to change the players’ us against them/no respect attitude before Tues.
If they beat Dayton, they will be in next week. If they get in this week at #25 and lose to Dayton, they most likely will be out next week.
I do not think that URI being rated on Monday Morning will cause this URI Team's performance vs Dayton on Tuesday night. I understand the psychological impact and the superstitious feeling that some posters might have, but at the end of the day I don't think being Ranked #25 Monday will negatively impact performance, in fact, if anything I think it could give the players a boost of confidence. No way do I see these players/coaches taking their foot off the offensive or defensive gas pedals.

URI was not ranked last season. I would grab a National Ranking every chance we can get. These opportunities just don't come along that often for any team, and especially Mid-Majors. I think it makes quite a statement to have 2 Atlantic 10 Teams in the Top 25. This Season the AAC only has 1 team in the Top 25 and that being Houston who is barely in.

IF URI were to get in the Top 25, then lose a close game to Dayton then beat St Josephs at the Ryan Center on Saturday, I think URI could hold onto the Top 25 - especially if other teams lose as well.

IF URI were to get in the Top 25, then lose by a considerable margin to Dayton and get knocked out of the Top 25, then AT LEAST these players and Coaches can say they were Nationally ranked during the 2019-2020 Season - not many teams can say that.

Bottom line, Being Nationally Ranked is a great honor. Take it every chance you can and run with it. These Players and Coaches deserve it - even if it ends up being for only 1 week.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

What the hell are you trying to prove?

Seth Davis has us ahead of PC, what are you bitching about?
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago

yes...you win 3000. we mopped the floor with pc.
PCs last lead came about 3/4 through the first half. They made a push at the end but we were up double digits for a substantial part of the second half. Mopping the floor is a little exaggerated, but definitely won going away.
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

I don’t think we get ranked this week - I think we’re just outside it.

I won’t be mad or butthurt if any voters leave us out.

That said, anyone not wanting this team to have a top 25 number next to “Rhode Island” on every national outlet and publication for even a week, is a moron of the highest order and can get right off this bandwagon if they so choose.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago What the hell are you trying to prove?

splitting hairs
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Can't leave the bandwagon now. The next game is the best part.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Listen here 3000, being tentative about getting ranked ahead of the UD game because we don't want to be ranked for one week is making the assumption we will lose Tuesday. Yet, you want to be ranked as of the next week and stay ranked for the rest of the season, which is the making the case that we win Tuesday, so which is it? If we get ranked Monday (still unlikely) and win Tuesday we stay ranked for the rest of the season.

We have a good shot at winning even on their home court, they know it, their fans know it and our team knows it. We've had their number on their home court more than any other team in recent years, just like taking care of VCU, we're in their heads. It's not such a leap to believe we are going to win this game.

If say, for the sake of argument we come in at 25 Monday and win out the week, then we come in 22 or higher next Monday, that's the scenario any fan with their wits about them endorses. Get ranked as soon as possible and stay ranked as long as possible.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I looked back on all the game casts - we were within single digits and in the game at UMD and neutral LSU for 30 minutes. Went toe to toe in Morgantown with a Top 15 team with a 1 possession game in the last minute. Handily beat 3 teams ranked anywhere from 30s to 50s (VCU x2, Bama, PC). We are not a Top 15-20 team but we have dam well played like a 25–40th ranked team. Both with eye test and metrics. At beginning of the year I thought our window was 40-60 so to this point Coach Cox is maxing out in my book. Helluva job. Just. Keep. Winning.
Go Rhody.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I want to win on Tues.

If this game were at Ryan, I think we do win. It's going to be more of a challenge in Dayton.

I still think they can win though. This team is exceptionally talented and if they don't lose focus they can play with anyone. You'll be able to tell if they lose focus or not, based on if they turn the ball over frequently. If they take care of the ball, they'll be in this game to the very end.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

So if you want to win Tuesday and think we can, you should endorse the idea of being ranked Monday.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

We aren't going to be ranked, so it's a moot point.

We have been ranked before, for only one week, several times over the years, and we were called pretenders by the rest of college basketball. I don't want to be pretenders.

It was a nice footnote for Sports Information to list on the GoRhody.com website, and to list in the annuls, but the rest of Division 1 mocked us. When you reach the top-25, bring a Cardi's furniture truck, move in, stay a while. It all falls on the next game, as it should.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago We aren't going to be ranked, so it's a moot point.

We have been ranked before, for only one week, several times over the years, and we were called pretenders by the rest of college basketball. I don't want to be pretenders.

It was a nice footnote for Sports Information to list on the GoRhody.com website, and to list in the annuls, but the rest of Division 1 mocked us. When you reach the top-25, bring a Cardi's furniture truck, move in, stay a while. It all falls on the next game, as it should.

Yea, we were pretenders when we were ranked for multiple weeks, peaking in the teens, with a 16 (?) game winning streak two years ago...
Go Rhody
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I am obviously not talking about that time. Can you not see the difference?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Well we are probably going to be 25th 26th or 27th and I am praying we are 25th that’s quite an honor if it happens
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago You honestly believe I just joined 4 months ago?

That UMass bus trip to Amherst they keep talking about, I remember doing that in '99 when Odom was on the team. 20 years ago.
If you didn't just join four months ago what was your previous screen name and why aren't you posting under it anymore?
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago We aren't going to be ranked, so it's a moot point.

The rest of division one mocked us when we were ranked for only a week? Can't say I remember being mocked in that situation once let alone by all of division one
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

It was more then a week lol
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago

The rest of division one mocked us when we were ranked for only a week? Can't say I remember being mocked in that situation once let alone by all of division one
I remember distinctly being Ranked Top 25
I don’t ever remember being mocked.
I don’t recall hearing of any team ever being mocked for being Ranked Top 25
Given the choice of:
A. Ranked AP Top 25 and running the risk of being mocked by all of Division 1
B. Not being Ranked AP Top 25 and having no risk of being mocked by all of Division 1

I’ll pick

Hmmmm
Hmmmm
Hmmmm
Hmmmm

Option A :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I don’t even know what that means, “the basketball world mocked us” heh? Weird comment. The goal is to be amongst the best teams in the country, they conveniently rank them every week so you know where you stand...net net you want to be ranked.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

what's the color of the sky in your world? You sound more and more like a pathetic PC troll sitting in mommy's basement with nothing better to do

no one mocked us. what do you mean "stay for a while"

Are you referring to the 2007-08 team? because they were ranked for 4 weeks before falling out with the collapse.
The 2017-18 team was ranked for 7 weeks
The 2016-17 team was ranked for 3 weeks
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Dude you are literally just making things up.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Huh? And who cares what anyone thought as long as the right people thought we belonged, for however long that stint was.

I do, however, have concerns about how we will handle prosperity, but I don’t have concerns about wanting to be ranked. We all should want to be ranked.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

Huh? And who cares what anyone thought as long as the right people thought we belonged, for however long that stint was.

I do, however, have concerns about how we will handle prosperity, but I don’t have concerns about wanting to be ranked. We all should want to be ranked.
There are only 2 posters I’ve seen here who have said they do not want to be Ranked today when Top 25 Polls are released.

All other KB Posters want to be Nationally Ranked today.

Also all Posters on the PC Board do not want URI Ranked today.
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Andy Katz Power 36 Released

URI Ranked #17

17. Rhode Island (24): The Rams are rolling in the A-10, heading for a showdown with Dayton.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ncaa.c ... andy%3famp
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Love it! Get a good look committee.
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Here are the voters who picked URI in the Top 25 last Monday and those who did not
URI received
1 vote for #25th place = 1 person *1=1
2 votes for #24th place = 3 people *2=6
3 votes for #23rd place = 1 person *3=3
4 votes for #22nd place = 2 people *4=8
Total of 18 Votes for URI

Note that Rothstein and Kevin MAC did not vote for URI
AAB505C0-FB9F-4A4D-9939-7203ABB82AC3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Katz doesn’t get a vote?
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I see 7 names. So hows that equal 18 votes?
GO RAMS
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

Looking forward to the ProJo's "pillow soft" coverage of the accomplishment if we crack the top 25.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago I see 7 names. So hows that equal 18 votes?
Probably better to call them points rather than votes
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Votes are all on a point system.

There are 65 AP pollsters who submit a ballot every week.

Each ballot spot (1-25) has an inverse amount of points attached to it.

For example: a #1 rank in a pollsters ballot = 25 points, and a #25 rank is worth 1 point.

So the maximum you can see for a unanimous #1 seed is 1625 (65 polls x 25 points each).

URI last week had 7 voters put them in their polls as: #25 (1 point), 3 #24's (2 points each), a #23 (3 points), and 2 #22's (4 points each).

That totals 18 points.

Hopefully that helps clear it up!

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
Probably better to call them points rather than votes
You can cal it either. AP Poll refers to it as “others receiving votes”

I explained how the 18 votes or points or whatever you want to call them are derived.

If 2 voters pick URI 22nd then it is 2 voters times 4 = 8.

7 voters picked URI between 25th and 22nd adding up to a total of 18

Others receiving votes:
Texas Tech 66, Marquette 31, Ohio State 19, Tulsa 19, Rhode Island 18, Northern Iowa 17, Wichita State 17, BYU 14, Rutgers 12, Stanford 7, Stephen F. Austin 3, Yale 1, Winthrop 1, Michigan 1, Virginia 1, Bowling Green 1
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Note that Ohio State and Tulsa were only 1 point ahead of URI last week at 19.

With URI wins over UMASS and a dominating performance on the road vs GW to go to 10 straight Atlantic 10 wins I’m expecting URI Voters a s Associated Points to be up significantly and Rhody to be anywhere from 23rd to 25th in the AP Poll To be released today!
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Note that Ohio State and Tulsa were only 1 point ahead of URI last week at 19.

With URI wins over UMASS and a dominating performance on the road vs GW to go to 10 straight Atlantic 10 wins I’m expecting URI Voters a s Associated Points to be up significantly and Rhody to be anywhere from 23rd to 25th in the AP Poll To be released today!
Marquette and Texas tech won today. I think both of them will be ranked so idk how URI will sneak in! But hopefully they at least give us 25th
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago Note that Ohio State and Tulsa were only 1 point ahead of URI last week at 19.

Marquette and Texas tech won today. I think both of them will be ranked so idk how URI will sneak in! But hopefully they at least give us 25th
mjg13x wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
mjg13x wrote: 4 years ago #16 Michigan State lost to #22 Penn State and Michigan.

#17 Iowa got blown out by Purdue, 104-68, and beat Nebraska.

#18 LSU lost to Vanderbilt and #11 Auburn.

#19 Butler beat #10 Villanova and plays #27 Marquette today [Update: Lost to #27 Marquette.].

#20 Illinois lost to #9 Maryland.

#21 Creighton lost to PC and beat St. John's.

#22 Penn State beat #16 Michigan State and Minnesota.

#23 Arizona beat USC and lost to UCLA.

#24 Colorado beat Cal and #35 Stanford.

#25 Houston beat Tulane and plays #32t Wichita State today [Update: Beat #32t Wichita State.].

#26 Texas Tech beat Texas and Oklahoma.

#27 Marquette beat DePaul and plays #19 Butler today [Update: Beat Butler.].

#29t Ohio State beat Michigan and plays Wisconsin today. [Update: Lost to Wisconsin.]

#29t Tulsa lost to UCONN and plays UCF today [Update: Lost to UCF].

#30 Rhode Island best UMass and George Washington.
I think there are enough losses here to put us at 25
Losses by #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #23, and both teams tied for #29
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I think MSU stays in top 25 (because they're MSU + showed up in top 16 show) and LSU edges us out. Below is what I expect.

My guess:
17: Penn State
18: Houston
19: Colorado
20: Texas Tech
21. Iowa
22: Marquette
23: Butler
24: Illinois
25: MSU
26. LSU
27: Rhode Island