Dana Tate Transfers to Siena

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
FDshoes
ARD

Re: Dana Tate to Transfer

Unread post by FDshoes »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago FD, answer this direct question please...

Do you think Thorr Bjorn thinks to himself "no worries, that's just college basketball in 2019?"

I bet Thorr is pretty happy sitting with only 3 losses one of which was a near win on the road at one of the toughest places to play in the country to a top 15 team. Zero bad losses. Im sure he wasnt happy with the Dana situation. But we DON'T know what happened. He sees 2 very good recruits already signed for next year. He sees our young guys, who play, making strides in the correct direction. He sees other potential recruits still coming for visits and watching us play live. And yes as an AD he does realize the current nature of turnover in D1 ball.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

There are people on here who know exactly what happened, and they aren't going to tell us.

That's fine. I've been on these URI boards for 23 years,. You have to accept that there are some things we aren't meant to know and we aren't going to know.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

There are absolutely people who know what happened. Would i like to know? Yup. If i did i also wouldnt share blasting it out on the internet.
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

I would like to know as well. I want to see if this is a one-off or a trend because of team policy. I wish him well, but with our foul troubled front court in past games we can use all the depth possible.
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago I may be way off on this, but did he perhaps envision himself the heir apparent to CL with just one year to go?

Now with the emergence of Harris, Walker, and possibly Doherty and maybe even Richards, not to mention Toppin, perhaps he doesn't see that happening and wants a fresh start somewhere else.
I dont understand how these kids dont take the recruiting as a personal challenge and work harder. I dont want to be “get off of my lawn guy”, but thats the way we rolled.
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Recruiting of other players is what I meant
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I just looked back at game tracker and Dana tech happened with us down 4 with 347 left and they hit 1 tech free throw to go up 5 that definitely didn’t cost us the game
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Tate isn't leaving because he is shrinking away from competing for minutes, if not for the fact that he messed up, he would have been no deeper than 7th.

Since he was suspended for so long and it is concluding with him transferring, I'm left to imagine my own narrative and it's not pretty. Then when combined with the rest of the roster fluctuations, including swings and misses on Sheppard and Hammond it leaves us very thin, which I'm sure is a concern for both Bjorn and Cox, if you guys want to act like no biggie bully for you.

No, it's not the end of the world, but I bet after that dismal football season Thorr would love to see the men's bb team go dancing this year and I'm sure he understands our chances are diminished by the fact that we are so thin.

Anyone who reads my posts knows I give Cox a lot of credit when its due, I've been impressed with his rapid growth, I like his game management, I can count on one hand how many times I've scratched my head about an in game choice he's made, actually think he's shown to be better managing games so far than Skinner, Barron, Hurley, of course Jerry D, only guys in my life time better were Harrick and Penders. So no I'm not attacking Cox or running around stock piling for the end of the world, I'm stating that our depth is a reason for concern and an area that can and needs to be improved upon if we want to be a program that sends teams to the tournament with regularity.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I think the tenor of comments on this board toward Dana have changed considerably since the transfer was announced. I was lambasted on this Board when I told you this was the likely outcome. Now many posters realize how little he will be missed while others are delusional in thinking his basketball contribution will be missed. Dana is a good person who wants to play basketball.

Dana's departure has little to nothing to do with potential depth issues for URI. We don't have a reliable third guard. That is the issue. Got it!

At this point in the season you just need warm bodies for 5-on-5 practice time. It is about keeping players fresh and healthy while scheming for the next opponent. The hard practices are over.

At this point in the season you are not going to work your way up in the line-up in practice.

Commitments made in recruiting Harris based on his potential had more to do with Tate's opportunity at URI than their play freshman year. Walker's availability sealed Dana's fate here. Would Dana have considered URI knowing that Harris and Walker were here? Of course not. What's so hard to understand about what happened to Dana here and why he is leaving. URI is losing its connections to the Boston recruiting market.
NCAAs or Bust!
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Heard from reliable source it was indeed over the technical in WVU game.
Seems harsh.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I find that hard to believe.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago Heard from reliable source it was indeed over the technical in WVU game.
Seems harsh.
Tate was replaced by Harris when he committed the foul and got the Technical with 3:47 minutes left. We were down 4 points. WVU hit 2 FTs to go up 6.

Tate has not played since the foul.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If it was something he said, it had to be something REALLY bad.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I see it somewhere between our 6th man and a warm body.
Outside of a couple minute stretch of Bama game Dana had not played particularly well this year. If Walker and Sheppard were on board day 1 he would have been at best our 8th man. He bumped up to 6th due to that. Walker will have in short order bounced him to 7th/8th/9th amongst him, Toppin, Long. Sure if he played much better than he had he may have been 7th, but his play was trending more towards 8th/9th man IMO.
I would agree.
Things changed from the summer. Many were very high on Tate, quoting I believe 4% body fat, etc.
Page 2 of Harris Improvement thread had some calling for Tate to start in place of Harris

But Tate went only 2-15 on 3Ps, 3-6 on FTs, did rebound particularly well, defense had to be compared to Toppin, Long and now Walker.

While Tate appeared destined to be the 6th man, and some argued for Harris’ replacement, and at times Martin got criticism, he seems to have slid to:
-Langevine
-Dowtin
-Russell
-Martin
-Harris

1-Toppin
2-Walker
3-Long
4-Tate
Explain 19.5 minutes per game (6th) and 18+ minutes in every game but Manhattan.
Ok, to explain my view.......
Tate was the 6th man going into the season, 1st off bench
He still has the minutes to be called the 6th man, agreed...but since the West Virginia game.....

1) Harris has improved
2) Russell and Dowtin are getting more assists, low turnovers, clicking and Harris and others are benefiting from the ball movement
Combined Assists for Dowtin and Russell for games 1 to 11;

3) Walker has become eligible and looked great defensively, good outside shot, poise, leadership, ball handling.
4) Toppin has continued to show very good potential. Enthusiastic, good passing, signs of good shooting, a crowd favorite, flair for excitement.
5) Long was first off bench vs PC and played very well. Good ability to steal the ball. Cox started Long for Langevine last game.

Looking at the play of Harris, Walker and Toppin my opinion is Tate plays behind those 3 guys going forward. To me it’s close between Long and Tate but appears Cox has significant faith in Long

First 9 games I’d agree Tate was the 6th man

Looking forward towards the next 9 games Tate was likely 9th man, arguably 8th. Part of that drop from 6th to 9th is Tate’s okay play but more related to Walker eligibility (and performance) plus the play of Toppin and Long. Competition and performance related that he dropped from 6th to 8th or 9th.
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think your source does not have the entire story, or didn’t share it.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I think your source does not have the entire story, or didn’t share it.
I know nothing but, you’re right. There had to be more than that. Maybe Cox reprimanded him and he didn’t take it well and shit escalated from there. While I’m disappointed he’s leaving we just need to look forward. I don’t blame Cox; it’s the nature of CBB today.
Slava Ukraini!
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago Heard from reliable source it was indeed over the technical in WVU game.
Seems harsh.
Wrong.....I believe that is bad info. Much more going on.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Seems harsh.
Tate was replaced by Harris when he committed the foul and got the Technical with 3:47 minutes left. We were down 4 points. WVU hit 2 FTs to go up 6.

How can you get this wrong? Reef posted the correct details before your post. You can look up the play-by-by on espn.com.
Dana committed a foul on a rebound. WV had got the offensive rebound and had the ball. Dana then got called for the tech.
McBride made one out of two FTs on the Tech. Tshiebwe (who Tate fouled) then made one out of two FTs. The tech cist Rhody one point.
“We will be good when we are good.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Had to be something that happened after the tech...either between Tate and Cox or other players.

Whatever it was, it wasn't good. Something unrepairable at least in Dana's mind.

Time to move on.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ramster, no way Tate would drop to 9th made. That is projected in your head. He played 20 minutes vs WV and Long played 3 minutes.
The WV was arguably the most important OOC games and a very close game.
Explain that if Long had passed him in the rotation?
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
Seems harsh.

How can you get this wrong? Reef posted the correct details before your post. You can look up the play-by-by on espn.com.
Dana committed a foul on a rebound. WV had got the offensive rebound and had the ball. Dana then got called for the tech.
McBride made one out of two FTs on the Tech. Tshiebwe (who Tate fouled) then made one out of two FTs. The tech cist Rhody one point.
338948F4-2F2B-4576-A109-1973C557E2F6.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Lots of good posts in this thread.

I believe it’s natural for our forum members to downplay the importance of this player and the transfer as we remain loyal to our Rhody laundry. Most of the emotions expressed here have crossed my mind.

However bottom line for me is whilst this is not a death blow to the season it does leave us razor thin. The team has moved to a offense less dependent on position and dribble drive and more on execution. Tate could fill multiple roles in our sets and was also a strong finisher on the fast break making him in my opinion a highly valuable player. No way he was going to get buried on the bench prior to this “incident”

We can still accomplish our goals with 8 but this loss leaves us very at risk. One injury or loss of an additional player for any reason could be devastating.

Don’t know what the scholly situation is there presently but perhaps Bryant might be a landing spot as they try and build a meaningful D1 program.

Good luck Dana.

Go Rhody.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago Finally had the chance to catch up on this thread. I sincerely wish Dana the best, he is a great player and has a ton of charisma. My days at URI are some of the fondest memories I have, so I always get a little sad when I see anyone transfer.
This is a great post. Need more of these.
I think this is what we’re all feeling, just unable to write it down on the inter web.
Last edited by SandorClegane 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago Lots of good posts in this thread.

I believe it’s natural for our forum members to downplay the importance of this player and the transfer as we remain loyal to our Rhody laundry. Most of the emotions expressed here have crossed my mind.

However bottom line for me is whilst this is not a death blow to the season it does leave us razor thin. The team has moved to a offense less dependent on position and dribble drive and more on execution. Tate could fill multiple roles in our sets and was also a strong finisher on the fast break making him in my opinion a highly valuable player. No way he was going to get buried on the bench prior to this “incident”

We can still accomplish our goals with 8 but this loss leaves us very at risk. One injury or loss of an additional player for any reason could be devastating.

Don’t know what the scholly situation is there presently but perhaps Bryant might be a landing spot as they try and build a meaningful D1 program.

Good luck Dana.

Go Rhody.
I would guess somewhere even closer to home, say Northeastern with Bill Coen.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Seems harsh.
This is a LIE and far from fact.

Totally irresponsible to post fallacies like this. His issues were 100% OFF COURT!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago Lots of good posts in this thread.

Good luck Dana.

Go Rhody.
I would guess somewhere even closer to home, say Northeastern with Bill Coen.
Yes, thought that too. Good call. I like Dana and selfishly would like to see the Bryant program succeed.

Zero inside info here just hope he has a nice D1 career.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Seems harsh.

Totally irresponsible to post fallacies like this. His issues were 100% OFF COURT!
You got enough wrong in this thread and others, maybe sit this topic out
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

People loved getting on TruePoint in this thread, but he was closest to right. Clearly a suspension of at least a month was unacceptable in Dana's eyes for whatever happened and when Cox didn't let him play at Middle Tennessee or if Cox told Tate upon returning from the trip that he'd also be sitting out against Brown, Dana had his final straw. Yet another data point that shows David Cox has no clue when it comes to roster construction and management.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The one problem I had with the suspension (and like most others here, I have no idea what he did) was the 'indefinite' part of it. After Dana was suspended for his first game, Cox was asked in the press conference if Dana would be available for the next game. He said he hadn't made up his mind yet. I think he should have made up his mind and given it a number. If it was minor, 1 game. If it was moderate, 3 games. If it was bad 5 games. If it was REALLY bad, throw him off the team. I'm just throwing out numbers, but I believe Cox should have given Dana a number instead of just letting him hang. It's almost as if Cox was thinking, when I'm no longer pissed about what you did, I'll let you play. Since Dana was left hanging, he might have been wondering if he was going to play this year because 'indefinite' could mean that also. I just didn't like that part of it. Pick a number.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
Seems harsh.

You got enough wrong in this thread and others, maybe sit this topic out

Whatever helps you sleep at night.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago People loved getting on TruePoint in this thread, but he was closest to right. Clearly a suspension of at least a month was unacceptable in Dana's eyes for whatever happened and when Cox didn't let him play at Middle Tennessee or if Cox told Tate upon returning from the trip that he'd also be sitting out against Brown, Dana had his final straw. Yet another data point that shows David Cox has no clue when it comes to roster construction and management.
Speculating and having a strong opinion on something without having any of the facts is a slippery slope. Do you think Antwan Walker was a decent addition to the roster?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's what I'm thinking too Billyboy.

Dana didn't know when or if he was going to play again....and with Walker likely to play a lot his minutes would be cut even when he came back.

Can't say I blame him for leaving. If Cox didn't want him to leave, then settle it with him and not leave him twisting in the wind for so long.

This one is on Cox. Another goof, this one could be costly.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago The one problem I had with the suspension (and like most others here, I have no idea what he did) was the 'indefinite' part of it. After Dana was suspended for his first game, Cox was asked in the press conference if Dana would be available for the next game. He said he hadn't made up his mind yet. I think he should have made up his mind and given it a number. If it was minor, 1 game. If it was moderate, 3 games. If it was bad 5 games. If it was REALLY bad, throw him off the team. I'm just throwing out numbers, but I believe Cox should have given Dana a number instead of just letting him hang. It's almost as if Cox was thinking, when I'm no longer pissed about what you did, I'll let you play. Since Dana was left hanging, he might have been wondering if he was going to play this year because 'indefinite' could mean that also. I just didn't like that part of it. Pick a number.
I think we are all speculating that it was “indefinite” as I do not believe that came officially from Cox. If I am correct, it came from people on this Board who act like they are “in the know.”

I myself, at this point, will wish Dana well, though I am disappointed that he is leaving. I hope it is not symptomatic of problems with the team in general, but issues specific to Dana.

Frankly, no sorrow over Mading departure and a bit perplexed that Hammond didn’t stick it out. I had faith that Dana was going to be a big contributor as time went on.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago That's what I'm thinking too Billyboy.

Dana didn't know when or if he was going to play again....and with Walker likely to play a lot his minutes would be cut even when he came back.

Can't say I blame him for leaving. If Cox didn't want him to leave, then settle it with him and not leave him twisting in the wind for so long.

This one is on Cox. Another goof, this one could be costly.
Speculation is not fact. Why do you all insist on coming to your own conclusion then attributing blame?

That makes absolutely NO SENSE.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago The one problem I had with the suspension (and like most others here, I have no idea what he did) was the 'indefinite' part of it. After Dana was suspended for his first game, Cox was asked in the press conference if Dana would be available for the next game. He said he hadn't made up his mind yet. I think he should have made up his mind and given it a number. If it was minor, 1 game. If it was moderate, 3 games. If it was bad 5 games. If it was REALLY bad, throw him off the team. I'm just throwing out numbers, but I believe Cox should have given Dana a number instead of just letting him hang. It's almost as if Cox was thinking, when I'm no longer pissed about what you did, I'll let you play. Since Dana was left hanging, he might have been wondering if he was going to play this year because 'indefinite' could mean that also. I just didn't like that part of it. Pick a number.
I think we are all speculating that it was “indefinite” as I do not believe that came officially from Cox. If I am correct, it came from people on this Board who act like they are “in the know.”

I myself, at this point, will wish Dana well, though I am disappointed that he is leaving. I hope it is not symptomatic of problems with the team in general, but issues specific to Dana.

Frankly, no sorrow over Mading departure and a bit perplexed that Hammond didn’t stick it out. I had faith that Dana was going to be a big contributor as time went on.
BINGO!!!

Thank you.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago

BINGO!!!

Thank you.
When Cox said after that first game that he hadn't decided how long the suspension would be, that is pretty much the definition of 'indefinite'.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

And if anybody knows the reason for the suspension, I'll gladly accept a PM from someone. Maybe then I could form a better opinion. But, until then....
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago And if anybody knows the reason for the suspension, I'll gladly accept a PM from someone. Maybe then I could form a better opinion. But, until then....
Cmon Billy, that wouldn’t change anything.

The powers that be, know, that should be enough.

One thing is for certain, Cox will get more bodies in the program.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago And if anybody knows the reason for the suspension, I'll gladly accept a PM from someone. Maybe then I could form a better opinion. But, until then....

It won't change Dana's situation. It might change my view on it, not that that's important.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago

It won't change Dana's situation. It might change my view on it, not that that's important.
Well, in that case...moving on. :lol:
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

I think we can speculate and try to draw up uninformed opinions on the situation and who is at blame and why he left. But none of it will change the situation at hand Dana is leaving and not coming back. If this team goes out and has a good A10 performance then people will forget about all this very quickly. I think it is time to move on and focus on bringing the next group of Rhody ram members to replace the ones that left. Developing opinions about things we will never know will just drive us all crazy. Time to accept the situation and fill the spots wisely with you never know the next Antwan Walker.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I wonder how Todd Quarles feels about this?
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

I wish Dana well, seemed like a good person, loved his efforts. We will never know what transpired between he and coach Cox. I realize these boards are for guessing and speculating, but what goes on in team/individual dynamics is unique every time. I think this is a combination of internal(b-ball) and external issues, with the emphasis on external non basketball related. These kids have the same issues we all have, but they are in the limelight because they can jump and shoot. I never played NCAA ball and was besides myself when my son walked away after a decent couple of years playing at Babson. I took it harder than him but he graduated there and is doing great now. Things work out.

That being said, should we now pull the plug on DJ’s redshirt and see what he can do? I know we really need a guard, but I cannot see playing only 8 guys. DJ is skinny as shit though.

Lastly, does Walker have 1 or 2 seasons left after this semester?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Ramtastico wrote: 4 years ago
Lastly, does Walker have 1 or 2 seasons left after this semester?
Two. This is how the classes stack up right now-

Dowtin
Langevine

Russell
(Sheppard)
(Johnson*)

Harris
Martin
Walker

Long
Toppin

————
Leggett
Wood
(open)
(open)
(open)
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

The bottom line is that Coach Cox is accountable for the success of the program. Its upon him to enforce the team rules anyway he chooses. I am a little worried about depth but am pretty sure that when the coach was giving out playing time he had the goal of building a very competitive team in mind. If he has made a few little mistakes in retaining players hopefully he learns from them. If not he just needs to remain consistent and find more student athletes who will get with his program. Coach Cox is a bright guy and I think the program is in good hands.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Seems harsh.

Time to crank up the specualtion and argumentation...ladies and gentlemen....START YOUR ENGINES!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
Seems harsh.

Time to crank up the specualtion and argumentation...ladies and gentlemen....START YOUR ENGINES!
Just peoples lives we are talking about, no biggie.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

In way around it. It sucks Dana left.

We are not as good a basketball team without him and we are playing with fire now with 8 scholarships.

Just gotta move on and pray that we dont have any serious injuries.

Maybe the karma from our transfer issues will balance out and keep us from getting hurt.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

For all we know, the tech could have been the final straw in an accumulation of things behind the scenes we don’t know about.

I highly doubt he was suspended strictly because of the T and then transferred.

Stuff had to have been building up before the WVU game.
Go Rhody
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Ok, I've gathered enough data to conclude that this is what happened/is happening, Dana going through some tough emotional growing pains, girlfriend issues, personal matters, it was affecting his ability to be focused on BB. Players and coaches were giving him a wide birth while trying to be supportive, Dana's situation kept spiraling and then the tech. Dana crossed lines on court and off court, people lost their patience with him, including coaches, one coach in particular, who had a close relationship with Dana, took things personally because he was so disappointed in Tate and allowed a disciplinary suspension to become punitive, which left an emotional teenager with tons of stress, swinging with uncertainty.

Now go ahead and tell me how irresponsible it is to post my speculations, or better yet counter with speculations of your own because that's what we are left with, speculation. So, unless more info comes out, the former explanation will be what I believe.

and again I give Cox tons of cred in many area's of the job, but nobody is perfect and he is the head coach, so when the roster is down to 8 of 13 scholarship players it's on him.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'