'20 UK PF - Josh Ogundele (Iowa ---> Middle Tennessee)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Re: '20 UK PF - Josh Ogundele (Offer)

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago One weak picture by Univ of Cincinnati. The visit seemed generic. Tour of the facilities. They didn’t seem to personalize it like URI did.
Jesus, what did they use, a 2001 camera phone to snap that picture?
I believe they used a potato
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Not for nothing, but he looks like a traditional bearcat in that uniform, from years back when they were really good and had some beasts in the paint.

He looked really good in the Rhody uniform as well. The Iowa uniform didn't look all that impressive on him at all. I know that means nothing in the greater scheme of things, but fwiw...
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Did Cooley just wake up from a long nap. The kid announced his final 5 last week. PC must be missing on all the primary targets to be offering now.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If we lose him to them...
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

That's a tough pill to swallow
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

At this stage of the game, it's kind of obvious that he likes the additional attention and the buzz that goes along with it. Who wouldn't?

However, pitting Rhode Island vs Providence isn't the way to go about it.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He will likely listen because of locality.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Kind of a dick move by Ed.

Counting on Josh being much smarter than that. He will see right through that BS.
Deep down Josh knows that URI is the place he needs to be. I feel good about this one.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

That is because Ed is a big DICK.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Well, I think that pretty much solidifies that this kid has some significant talent, where he wouldn't just sit on the bench for a few years.

Whenever we are involved with a big man that has any kind of significant worth, and isn't just fools gold, WITHOUT FAIL, P.C. will try to swoop in at the last second. If they didn't, it's likely because the big man we were looking at was a project or a risk of some sort or just wasn't worth the scholarship.

So, I'm feeling pretty good about this guy, should he commit.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Well, I think that pretty much solidifies that this kid has some significant talent, where he wouldn't just sit on the bench for a few years.

Whenever we are involved with a big man that has any kind of significant worth, and isn't just fools gold, WITHOUT FAIL, P.C. will try to swoop in at the last second. If they didn't, it's likely because the big man we were looking at was a project or a risk of some sort or just wasn't worth the scholarship.

So, I'm feeling pretty good about this guy, should he commit.
What recruits are you referring to that PC has swooped in at the last second on?
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

4 decades waiting for payback ..... can you say Sly Williams
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I'm going back 20-30 years. Kevin Mac even wrote that PC was in the "Odom" sweepstakes at one point. Rico Harris was another. Let's put it this way, it hasn't happened often, and that's the point, usually they have no interest in the big men we are looking at.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Josh may take the bait....I’m sure Cooley and staff reached out and spoke to them before offering.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If it's truly about building relationships PC should have zero chance......
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago If it's truly about building relationships PC should have zero chance......
Kid doesn’t seem to care too much about that aspect judging by things he has said....
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

McCleod 2.0..
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

PC can just about sell him the same thing we are....
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I don't really want to say anything further until he declares where he is going. If he goes to any of his top 5, including the two schools who haven't even offered him, then I'll be disappointed if it's someone other than Rhody, but that's fine.

If someone like PC or anyone else swoops in at the last possible moment and he elopes, the kid is a mercenary just looking for the highest bidder.

One thing about our last two recruits and the other half dozen for this year, none of them were Merc's.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Article on Cincinnati visit. Not sure the writer knows much about the recruiting process. There is no early December signing period.

Cincinnati Head Coach John Brannen and his staff hosted a priority recruiting target when Worcester Prep (MA) Center Josh Ogundele made his official visit to Cincinnati last weekend. Bearcat Journal caught up with the British born big man for thoughts on his visit, his most recent offer, and the status of his recruitment.

“My host was Robert Banks (freshman walk on, also originally from England) and he talked to me about how good of an experience he’s had at Cincinnati (so far) and he would like for me to come to Cincinnati. He spoke about what Coach Brannen was able to achieve at Northern Kentucky,” said Ogundele.

Ogundele has taken recent official visits to Rhode Island and Iowa and he picked up an offer from Providence today and he might take a visit there but that has not been determined yet.

“I liked the campus, it’s in the city and I liked that. All of the buildings and athletic facilities look new and it’s one of the nicest campuses I’ve seen. I also had a good talk with two of the academic advisers for 35 or 40 minutes about the education at Cincinnati,” said Ogundele.

“I was able to watch two practices and the team plays at a fast pace and they play through their big men. (What stood out) was the team plays for each other and they really focused on defense in practice. The coaches talked about how they have a good class coming in with the twins (Gabe and Mason Madsen) and a fast point guard (Mike Saunders Jr.) and that I can play early if I work hard, it won’t be given to me. Coach Brannen also talked about having connections in the business world and basketball after college is over,” said Ogundele.

With the early signing period looming in December Ogundele may pick a school in the near future and sign early, but left the door open for choosing a school.

“I would play center and I’d have freedom on offense and that appeals to me because I’m not a big man who just plays in the post. I can step outside and handle the ball a bit.

“I was able to talk to Zach Harvey, Jeremiah Davenport and Mamoudou Diarra and they told Coach Brannen has a vision and has connections outside of basketball. I also saw Cincinnati was one of 16 teams favored to win it all (Cincinnati was mentioned in a recent article as a dark horse national title contender),” said Ogundele.

“I also met with the strength and conditioning coach (Mike Rehfeldt) and he spoke me about having a training plan to better my body.”

“I really like the vibe of the city and the team,” said Ogundele.

Stay tuned to BCJ for all of your Cincinnati football and basketball team news and recruiting info.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago McCleod 2.0..
McLeod was ranked #119, Ogundele is #297
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago McCleod 2.0..
McLeod was ranked #119, Ogundele is #297
That’s not the point. Suffice it to say, Josh is being recruited by better schools. All in P5 conferences, except for us.

McLeod’s final list was URI, LaSalle and FSU.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Xavier Foster - Ranked #51 ESPN, is now waiting until Nov 11 to decide
Ogundele visited Iowa with Foster. Some comments from Ogundele were made about how they would like to play together after having spent time visiting Iowa together.

So is this Cooley strategy to get Xavier Foster to PC by now making a recent offer to Ogundele? Certainly looks like it. Smart strategy for Cooley if he gets a Top 50 recruit and a guy in Ogundele with potential (plus steal away Rhody’s most coveted big man recruiting target)

From the DesMoine register article......
So, what now?
There's less than a month until decision day.
The Fosters will try to schedule one more in-home visit with Iowa, Iowa State, Providence and Virginia Tech. Baylor added four-star 7-footer Zach Loveday in late September, filling Foster's potential spot.
DaJuan said both Iowa and Iowa State have respectfully encouraged Xavier to commit when he knows in his heart where he wants to play. But DaJuan honestly doesn't think his son knows where that is yet.

And this from a previous desmoine register article regarding PC

In other news, the Fosters' Sept. 20-22 official visit to Providence went well. DaJuan said they didn't really know what to expect, but they were impressed with the city and the campus. And it was very clear that Providence is a basketball school. "The school was cool. Being there — it was so small. And the resources are unbelievable," DaJuan said.
Xavier Foster is set to take his final official visit to Iowa from Oct. 11-13, the weekend of the Penn State football game. Baylor landed four-star 7-footer Zach Loveday last week, which probably completes its 2020 recruiting class and pulls the Bears out of the running for Foster. DaJuan said they're trying to work out final in-home visit dates with the schools in the mix, which, if Baylor is out, would be Iowa State, Iowa, Providence and Virginia Tech.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... 994672002/
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Iowa just got 2 more verbals, so there already up to 4 for 2020 which may take the Foster/Ogundele duo thing off of the table for them.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The 6’8” identical Murray twins committed yesterday to Iowa

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/spor ... a-20191021
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Iowa did get commits from twins Keegan and Kris Murray. Their father played for Iowa.
Class is PG, SG & 2 SF.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Bodes well for us IF Josh doesn’t go through with the PC visit.

Cincy telling Josh that he’d have to earn his spot there likely turned him off a bit. Here, they will likely insert him a lot sooner into the offense.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The Murray twins did not have high D1 offers out of HS, at Basketball prep school in Daytona. They were not sure if both would get offers from Iowa, when they did they jumped.
Scholarships currently full now at Iowa but for sure they would find room for Foster.

The timing of offering the Murray twins makes one wonder if Fran McCaffrey already knows Foster and Ogundele are headed to Fryatown.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The Iowa move makes no since. They could use one big no matter what.
I can’t believe that there is any way McCaffrey would have been told by Foster AND Ogundele they are both committing to PC. No way Josh has made that decision yet before evening visiting PC. I also believe the verbal commitment from the Iowa twins happened before PC even offered Josh.

Josh also sits his Fr year behind Watson and Foster. Nichols would be ahead of Josh at PF too.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Package deals for players who grew up together or play AAU together for years or play at the same prep school together rarely actually happen. Package deals for players who met and got along on a weekend visit I think just got invented in this thread.
If Foster and Ogundele go to Iowa its because both individually really want to play there.
PC didn't offer Ogundele to get to Foster. PC offered Ogundele because they aren't hitting on their other targets including Foster.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iowa might be able to make room for Foster if he were to select them, but very doubtful now that Ogundele could go to Iowa. Interesting how Fran Mc told Foster family and HS Coach week or more earlier that he would likely get the Murray twins. About the same time Big Ed offered Ogundele.

bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago Package deals for players who grew up together or play AAU together for years or play at the same prep school together rarely actually happen. Package deals for players who met and got along on a weekend visit I think just got invented in this thread.
If Foster and Ogundele go to Iowa its because both individually really want to play there.
PC didn't offer Ogundele to get to Foster. PC offered Ogundele because they aren't hitting on their other targets including Foster.
well said and hopefully puts the conspiracy theories to bed.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Well with this Iowa news happening do you guys think we are the favorite now ???
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Well with this Iowa news happening do you guys think we are the favorite now ???
Not with PC swooping in
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We still don't know if he will be visiting PC....I'd say we have a good chance as of right now.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC Rams lives in fear of the Friar 😜
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

One of his comments after the Cincy visit is that he loved that the campus is in the city. If that's a factor, we're done.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago DC Rams lives in fear of the Friar 😜
Hahaha!

It’s a no brainer. It’s a quick drive to be wined and dined. He has OV’s to burn, why not go?
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago DC Rams lives in fear of the Friar 😜
It's like several years back when I had a shih tzu puppy, almost full grown, white and brindle, and either a hawk or an owl, some sort of bird of prey, mistook him for a rabbit and tried to snatch him out of the back yard. He had big claw mark lacerations in his neck, the bird must have misjudged his size and dropped him before getting too high off the ground.

After that, that dog never went in the back yard without his head on a swivel, looking around yapping at the least little thing.

That's us watching PC trying to "swoop in" on this recruit lol
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Who is the last recruit that URI was in his final 5 and lost to PC?
Serious question because I didn’t follow recruiting that closely until the last three years.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Who is the last recruit that URI was in his final 5 and lost to PC?
Serious question because I didn’t follow recruiting that closely until the last three years.
None that I recall.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

:oops: o
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Who is the last recruit that URI was in his final 5 and lost to PC?
None that I recall.
The reverse has happened. Need I mention Sly?
Slava Ukraini!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Did Cooley just wake up from a long nap. The kid announced his final 5 last week. PC must be missing on all the primary targets to be offering now.
He listed his Top 5 “that he was focusing on.” He never technically said “this is my final list of schools.” Maybe it’s parsing words, but with PC offering at this point, it’s because there has been some indication that the party is still open to seeing what’s out there. Doesn’t mean he chooses any of those new options.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

We were in Jared Terrell’s final 10 with pc. Not sure about final 5.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
We were in Jared Terrell’s final 10 with pc. Not sure about final 5.
I think URI won that recruiting battle 😜
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bruce “Soup” Campbell broke my heart when he chose PC. Soup played with URI great PG Jiggy Williamson at Wilbur Cross High School. We were hoping Soup would chose to play along with Jiggy at URI but he selected the Fryuzzzz.

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... 136447.ece

Jiggys older brother was Super John Williamson who played in the NBA and ABA. Super John also played at Wilbur Cross and averaged 40 ppg his senior year. Jiggy, Soup and Super John all died too soon.
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago He listed his Top 5 “that he was focusing on.” He never technically said “this is my final list of schools.” Maybe it’s parsing words, but with PC offering at this point, it’s because there has been some indication that the party is still open to seeing what’s out there. Doesn’t mean he chooses any of those new options.

Is it customary for the Swooper to console the Swoopee while in the process of swooping in?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RJ you are parsing words. However, there are plenty of examples of schools offering late in the process and getting the commitment including some where the recruit put out his final list without that school on it.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago He listed his Top 5 “that he was focusing on.” He never technically said “this is my final list of schools.” Maybe it’s parsing words, but with PC offering at this point, it’s because there has been some indication that the party is still open to seeing what’s out there. Doesn’t mean he chooses any of those new options.

Is it customary for the Swooper to console the Swoopee while in the process of swooping in?
Who is swooping? People here are talking like a PC offer is an automatic commitment. Just because the door may have been ajar enough for PC to feel comfortable making an offer doesn’t mean anything. It may, it may not. You should continue to be confident unless you hear other rumblings. It’s not like Ogundele came out and said he wants to completely reopen his recruitment and slow things down.

PC was recruiting Shakeel Moore out of NC and were considered the leaders until Moore decided to “completely reopen his recruitment.” That’s a negative sign.