2019-20 A-10 Predictions

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2019-20 A-10 Predictions

Unread post by ramster »

luke wrote: 4 years ago Has anybody been watching Dayton lately ? They have shocked me with how good they are . They look way better than VCU right now . They beat Georgia and after Virginia Tech beat Michigan St. Dayton beat them by 27. Today Dayton lost to Kansas in OT. .
Yes. I watched the Georgia and the Virginia Tech Games plus most of the 2nd half of today’s game with Kansas.

Dayton looks great. Certainly not just a 1-man star in Obi Toppin.

They can shoot the 3-ball very well, an explosive scoring team plus they play an aggressive defensive game. Seems to be Dayton, VCU behind Dayton and then could be any of about 6 teams in the 3rd and 4th spots.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

No. The 3rd and 4th best teams in the league are URI and Davidson. There are some other teams that seem like they may be much better than people would have thought (Richmond, UMass, Duquesne), but a lot of that is scheduling. We know who is what in this league for the most part. The league as a whole has been better than expected so far, but relative to one another I don’t see much has changed.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......after having watched Dayton take Kansas to OT, we may well be in the 3-4 in the league, but I think the top two may be placing more space between 3 and 4......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Davidson has been a disappointment so far. I dont understand why. They seem to have most of the pieces back.
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Davidson has been a disappointment so far. I dont understand why. They seem to have most of the pieces back. Richmond could challenge URI for 3rd
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Roz wrote: 4 years ago Davidson has been a disappointment so far. I dont understand why. They seem to have most of the pieces back. Richmond could challenge URI for 3rd
A recent aggregate poll has Rhody 6th behind Davidson, Duquesne & Richmond.
Mason is 8th and they are 8-1.
“We will be good when we are good.”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

At this point in the season, the metrics are still pretty funky. I’m very happy that mid-pack A10 teams are doing well in OOC. Ultimately it accrues to our benefit. But as far as Duquesne and some of these other teams go, it is going to come out in the wash once the schedules balance out in conference play.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Davidson plays Marquette today so that’s another key game there
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
Roz wrote: 4 years ago Davidson has been a disappointment so far. I dont understand why. They seem to have most of the pieces back. Richmond could challenge URI for 3rd
A recent aggregate poll has Rhody 6th behind Davidson, Duquesne & Richmond.
Mason is 8th and they are 8-1.

Luddecke shows the individual systems used to create the aggregate poll. Not sure if he fix this or Someone else did.
Don’t know how recent these results are. GMU, Dayton and LaSalle just had very good runs in their recent Tournaments that just finished up yesterday.

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

URI’s games vs Richmond, Mason & Duquesne are going to be a lot tougher this year. Richmond and Duquesne are home. G Mason is away.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

It seems most polls have Richmond ahead of URI. I am glad this year’s game is at the Ryan Center.
Rhody could be battling Richmond at the end of the year for the A10’s third a Tournament birth.

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It is amazing to me that people are getting fooled by Richmond. They are going to turn back into a pumpkin any game now.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago It is amazing to me that people are getting fooled by Richmond. They are going to turn back into a pumpkin any game now.
They can real shoot. Gilyard is most likely first team all A10. They have Golden down low and Cayo just came back. I think you are wrong about them turning into a pumpkin TP.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

have to agree with 83 here...they also added a good shooting guard from Wagner (Francis) who is knocking down threes at 40%+ clip. They don't have any depth, probably even less than we have once we get Walker back, but they do have a very solid starting 5. They wont be a pushover, but getting them at home is key. That will be a must win as its likely we are battling Richmond and St. Louis for the 3rd possible bid.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I respect both of your opinions about basketball, but I just haven’t seen anything they’ve done so far this year as moving me off my preseason conception of what they are. I’m glad they’ve played well because I think that’s good for URI. We’ll see, I guess.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Well they are definitely better than last year...but the perception right now might be better than the reality.

They will be a top half team, maybe top 6. Agree though, need to beat them.

Of course we're going to say that about a lot of A10 teams this year. Not many easy ones, really.

If we take the night off, we could lose to anyone in conference no matter who it is.

I think 12-6 is likely, 13-5 puts us on the right side of the bubble imo. And we need to be 9-3 OOC also.

I want to be optimistic about this at this point. If Walker makes us better, it could happen.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I was watching VCU tonight and realized they have played 8 home games and 2 neutral site games. They haven’t played a road game yet. They lost the two neutral site games to Purdue and Tennessee (both close games). Their only quality win is LSU at home. It will be interesting to see how this team does on the road. They are @ College of Charleston and @ Wichita State this week.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody at VCU on Jan 11th.

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I was watching VCU tonight and realized they have played 8 home games and 2 neutral site games. They haven’t played a road game yet. They lost the two neutral site games to Purdue and Tennessee (both close games). Their only quality win is LSU at home. It will be interesting to see how this team does on the road. They are @ College of Charleston and @ Wichita State this week.
VCU has an Achilles heel, they are offensively challenged. If you can limit turnovers against them you can beat them. I think the separation between them and us is much smaller than the separation between Dayton and VCU. I like our chances against the southern Rams, we are also 6-1 against them in our last 7. Go Rhody!
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Richmond hasn't won against anyone good as far as I can tell. Vandy & Wisconsin aren't great thus far and their out of conference schedules look weak - mediocre at best in my opinion. I think we'll see what Richmond is all about when they play Alabama. We'll at least be able to see how they faired against a shared opponent.
I think URI and VCU are pretty much even at this point and could see either team finishing 2nd in the A 10 behind Dayton. I see the A 10 getting 3 bids in the NCAA Tournament this year.
We'll see how things play out. If Long, Toppin, & Martin continue to improve this team is going to be deep and dangerous by the end of conference play.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The Dude wrote: 4 years ago Richmond hasn't won against anyone good as far as I can tell. Vandy & Wisconsin aren't great thus far and their out of conference schedules look weak - mediocre at best in my opinion. I think we'll see what Richmond is all about when they play Alabama. We'll at least be able to see how they faired against a shared opponent.
I think URI and VCU are pretty much even at this point and could see either team finishing 2nd in the A 10 behind Dayton. I see the A 10 getting 3 bids in the NCAA Tournament this year.
We'll see how things play out. If Long, Toppin, & Martin continue to improve this team is going to be deep and dangerous by the end of conference play.
I agree with most of your points. If you say the Alabama game will give us a gauge on Richmond, dont you have to apply our common opponentS with VCU? VCU beat LSU by 3 at home and Rhody lost to LSU by 13 on a neutral court. VCU beat N Texas by 3 at home and Rhody beat N Texas by 13 on a neutral court. VCU’s two losses are by 3 points. I think right now VCU should be a little ahead of Rhody.

To me Jeff is the key to Rhody’s success much more than Long, Toppin or Martin . If Fatts, Cyril & Jeff all average 15 points or more, Rhody will be very tough.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

No way Richmond should be 6 spots ahead of us on that mid major poll
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Walker is the wild card imo.

If he's good we will be better.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

A-10 Net Rankings:
10. Dayton, 20. Duquesne, 22. Richmond, 52. VCU, 66. Saint Louis, 67. George Mason, 72. Rhode Island, 101. Davidson, 130. La Salle 158. Massachusetts, 189. St. Bonaventure, 228. Saint Joseph’s, 235. George Washington, 258. Fordham
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody's losses to the NET ranked #6, #17, #23
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago A-10 Net Rankings:
10. Dayton, 20. Duquesne, 22. Richmond, 52. VCU, 66. Saint Louis, 67. George Mason, 72. Rhode Island, 101. Davidson, 130. La Salle 158. Massachusetts, 189. St. Bonaventure, 228. Saint Joseph’s, 235. George Washington, 258. Fordham
7th. Ouch. What drives that? Is it too early for the NET also? I know KenPom is useless this early.
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago No way Richmond should be 6 spots ahead of us on that mid major poll
Not that the mid major rankings mean anything, especially in December, but Richmond is 9-1 with wins over Wisconsin, BC, Vanderbilt and Charleston, all 4 of those wins are better than any of our wins so far.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I think us sitting at 72 in the NET right now is pretty good.

It's a pretty good place to start.

I was thinking we would begin in the 80's or 90's.

Take care of our next three games and we will go into A-10 play with six teams ahead of us when we have a NET in the 60's or maybe even late 50's.

If Richmond takes care of business until our game with them then that gives us an opportunity to get a quality win and a potential big bump in the NET right away.

The A-10 usually does not provide us with so many opportunities.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Shinze88 wrote: 4 years ago
reef wrote: 4 years ago No way Richmond should be 6 spots ahead of us on that mid major poll
Not that the mid major rankings mean anything, especially in December, but Richmond is 9-1 with wins over Wisconsin, BC, Vanderbilt and Charleston, all 4 of those wins are better than any of our wins so far.
Disagree that all 4 of those wins are better. BC sucks and Vandy sucks too (not as much as BC).
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Wisconsin and BC are decent wins, comparable to Bama/PC for us. Vandy is always bad. Charleston is nice too. The spiders are hot, until they arrive in Kingston.
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It’s all going to come out in the wash in conference play. This is fine to check in on to see where things are at as a snapshot, but it’s heavily influenced by the portion of the schedule where teams have had control over who they play and where. That control goes away in a couple weeks. I will bet my house that the final order of A10 teams will not be the same as what it is today.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Disagree that all 4 of those wins are better. BC sucks and Vandy sucks too (not as much as BC).
Really the only one that's better is the Wisconsin win on a neutral court. Our home win against Alabama is the equal of their home win against Vanderbilt and our home win against PC was better than their wins against BC and Charleston, mostly because of the rivalry nature as opposed to the quality of the opponent.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago It is amazing to me that people are getting fooled by Richmond. They are going to turn back into a pumpkin any game now.
They can real shoot. Gilyard is most likely first team all A10. They have Golden down low and Cayo just came back. I think you are wrong about them turning into a pumpkin TP.
I agree with TP. To me Grant Golden has really done a great job of inheriting the most overrated player in the conference crown from Yuta Watanabe. You always hear about winning plays and winning players, those two are just the opposite. When you look at their box scores they look great, but when you watch them play they really don't do a ton to help their teams, they're great compilers of empty numbers
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago

Really the only one that's better is the Wisconsin win on a neutral court. Our home win against Alabama is the equal of their home win against Vanderbilt and our home win against PC was better than their wins against BC and Charleston, mostly because of the rivalry nature as opposed to the quality of the opponent.
Well Charleston beat PC, so i'm not sure how our win (at home) vs PC is considered better than Richmond's over Charleston. I'm not sure if BC is going to be a good team but they did just win a true road game at Notre Dame. Regardless, neither Alabama or PC will be considered good wins at the end of the season and I've seen Richmond play a few times this year, they are every bit as good as we are. I'm glad we have them in the Ryan Center this year.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Unless I missed something we have 9 chances in conference play to pick up quality wins. Obviously this can change.

Western Kentucky would be our best win so far in my opinion.

Richmond- QUAD 1

@VCU-QUAD 1

Duquesne-QUAD 1

@George Mason- QUAD 1

VCU- QUAD 2

@Dayton- QUAD 1

@Davidson- QUAD 2

Saint Louis- QUAD 2

Dayton- QUAD 1
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago

Well Charleston beat PC, so i'm not sure how our win (at home) vs PC is considered better than Richmond's over Charleston. I'm not sure if BC is going to be a good team but they did just win a true road game at Notre Dame. Regardless, neither Alabama or PC will be considered good wins at the end of the season and I've seen Richmond play a few times this year, they are every bit as good as we are. I'm glad we have them in the Ryan Center this year.
According to the NET rankings PC is 146 and Charleston is 134, and Charleston beat them by 8 on a neutral court, so I'll agree that so far Charleston is the better team but they're pretty close to even and like I said, I think the PC win is better than Richmond's win over Charleston because of the rivalry nature of the game. There wasn't a lot of pressure for Richmond in the Charleston game but there was a ton of pressure on us to beat an inferior PC squad in our own building.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

The NET has us with the 17th hardest schedule with an average opponent ranking of 110.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

0-3 in Quadrant 1. We need to get some Q1 wins!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Richmond and George Mason won't be Q1 wins down the road.

Both will come back to earth sooner or later.

Beating VCU and Dayton once each would be huge. We need to do that.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What are the NET of the 6 teams we beat ???
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago What are the NET of the 6 teams we beat ???
LIU - 231
Alabama - 96
Nicholls St. - 114
North Texas - 98
Manhattan - 260
Providence - 146
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That’s 2 top 100 wins baby !!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Richmond and George Mason won't be Q1 wins down the road.

Duquesne won’t be a Q1 when the season is over either. Let’s see where the NET is at the end of January.
To think Duquesne (#20) is better than VCU (#52) is crazy.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Richmond and George Mason won't be Q1 wins down the road.

Duquesne won’t be a Q1 when the season is over either. Let’s see where the NET is at the end of January.
Better that Duquesne is 20 entering conf play than 100, no? The more teams are ranked high the better.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

Better that Duquesne is 20 entering conf play than 100, no? The more teams are ranked high the better.
This is exactly where I’m at. I’m thrilled that so many A10 teams come into conference play with good numbers. I don’t think many of them are actually better than I thought before the season, but the numbers game is going perfectly. Sets up well for URI if they have a good conference season, which I am expecting.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

I’m with TP and co. Who cares if BC or Vandy or Wisconsin or anyone are “good” wins. They’re P5’s who’s ratings will go up based on their conference schedules alone.

This is the first year in at least the last 5 that the A10 is taking care of business in the OOC. I’m very happy if the Richmonds and Duquesnes suck and go to the bottom of the conference in February.

If teams like that are our basement, it will be a great year for the conference if 4-6 teams get separation.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Blueman their rankings will go up because the conference has low NET numbers. It's not rocket surgery, if the league as a whole is under 100 in NET to start conference, that is a powerhouse conference. The A10 just needs to figure it out and start conference play with the lowest NET possible.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Just thought this was funny