11/24 | Stony Brook Seawolves | 2PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: 11/24|Stony Brook|2PM

Unread post by theblueram »

As soon as they realize Steph Curry is not on this team, then we move forward.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Agree with all that say Dowtin should run the point, ALL the time
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago
RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Fatts shooting from the field is killing this team right now. Making matters even worse, is that he has made more attempts than any other player. Even Dowtin who has logged more minutes (20m more YTD thus far) has less shot attempts.

Fatts Shooting:
17-63 FGA .270
6-31 3FGA .194
18-21 FTA .857

The problems are however bigger than just Russell. The only player that has performed well thus far is Dowtin. Every other player on the team has been a disappointment. Langevine may have a good FG % but he turns the ball over far too much, shoots free throws poorly, and gives too many fouls. Thompson has not gotten anything going yet. Freshmen are all too green and make the expected mistakes with none really breaking out.

Stony Brook in my opinion was not just a better team on this day, they are a better team overall thus far this season. This was their third road win as they have registered victories at GW, South Carolina, and now URI. This Rhody team will probably not reach that many OOC wins away from Kingston. With just two more OOC games at home, maintaining a .500 record before league play probably will not be attained. Looks like this team has a fairly low ceiling.
For the most part I disagree with your assessment on Cyril. He's practically averaging a double double with 13.5 points per game and 9.8 rebounds. He's only averaging 2.5 fouls per game, that feels reasonable for an interior guy averaging 30 minutes per game. His foul shooting isn't great, but he's improved from 50.6 percent last year to 63.2 this year, so he's clearly been working on it. Yes the turnovers are an issue, but they're so out of line with the rest of his career that I have to assume it's a product of him and Jeff being the only two effective players so far for the most part. I just don't see how Cyril can be considered a disappointment so far and have to wonder what you expected from him to feel that way
Agree.
Cyril right now is leading all 14 A10 Players in rebounding with 9.8 rpg - he is the best rebounder in the League.

Versus Stony Brook Cyril had 15 points on 5-8 shooting and 12 rebounds in only 26 minutes of play. I would have loved to have seen him get more minutes since he only had 3 fouls. Russell played 33, Dowtin 38 and Thompson 33.

Cyril and Dowtin right now are leading this team. Others will step up, it is still very early for a team that lost 7 of its top 10 scorers:
Top scorer -Terrell
2nd scorer - Matthews
4th scorer - Robinson (3rd was Dowtin)
5th scorer - Berry
8th scorer - Garrett (6th was Langevine, 7th was Russell)
9th scorer - Akele
10th scorer - Layssard
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago
RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Fatts shooting from the field is killing this team right now. Making matters even worse, is that he has made more attempts than any other player. Even Dowtin who has logged more minutes (20m more YTD thus far) has less shot attempts.

Fatts Shooting:
17-63 FGA .270
6-31 3FGA .194
18-21 FTA .857

The problems are however bigger than just Russell. The only player that has performed well thus far is Dowtin. Every other player on the team has been a disappointment. Langevine may have a good FG % but he turns the ball over far too much, shoots free throws poorly, and gives too many fouls. Thompson has not gotten anything going yet. Freshmen are all too green and make the expected mistakes with none really breaking out.

Stony Brook in my opinion was not just a better team on this day, they are a better team overall thus far this season. This was their third road win as they have registered victories at GW, South Carolina, and now URI. This Rhody team will probably not reach that many OOC wins away from Kingston. With just two more OOC games at home, maintaining a .500 record before league play probably will not be attained. Looks like this team has a fairly low ceiling.
For the most part I disagree with your assessment on Cyril. He's practically averaging a double double with 13.5 points per game and 9.8 rebounds. He's only averaging 2.5 fouls per game, that feels reasonable for an interior guy averaging 30 minutes per game. His foul shooting isn't great, but he's improved from 50.6 percent last year to 63.2 this year, so he's clearly been working on it. Yes the turnovers are an issue, but they're so out of line with the rest of his career that I have to assume it's a product of him and Jeff being the only two effective players so far for the most part. I just don't see how Cyril can be considered a disappointment so far and have to wonder what you expected from him to feel that way
Agree.
Cyril right now is leading all 14 A10 Players in rebounding with 9.8 rpg - he is the best rebounder in the League.

Versus Stony Brook Cyril had 15 points on 5-8 shooting and 12 rebounds in only 26 minutes of play. I would have loved to have seen him get more minutes since he only had 3 fouls. Russell played 33, Dowtin 38 and Thompson 33.

Cyril and Dowtin right now are leading this team. Others will step up, it is still very early for a team that lost 7 of its top 10 scorers:
Top scorer -Terrell
2nd scorer - Matthews
4th scorer - Robinson (3rd was Dowtin)
5th scorer - Berry
8th scorer - Garrett (6th was Langevine, 7th was Russell)
9th scorer - Akele
10th scorer - Layssard
I agree, this team really misses the production from Akele and Layssard. Although Harris is doing a nice job of filling in the Akele role.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I don't see a Brown thread yet, so I'll just mention that they've won 5 in a row and are Top 25 in nation in defending 3-point shot. So this game is not a bunny, especially considering how we've played so far.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I agree that Dowtin needs to be the playmaker initiating the offense and definetly not Fatts

We shoot so poorly from 3 that I am certain we will see lots of zone moving forward, teams will dare us to shoot it
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......I must have missed the “production” from Layssard.......and honestly, if all Harris turns out to be an Akele role, that was a swing and miss.......no?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago .......I must have missed the “production” from Layssard.......and honestly, if all Harris turns out to be an Akele role, that was a swing and miss.......no?
But This is my point. Only 3 of the top 10 scorers of on last year are back. And this returning are Dowtin 3rd, langevine 6th and Russell 7th. Sure Layssard and Adele were 9th and 10th on the list but they are not back so they are obviously not candidates to back fill 4 of the top 5 scorers missing from last season.
You can scoff at Layssard and Adele but 11th high scorer was Ryan Preston who now is asked to fill in for those missing scorers from last year.
One might say Hurley left the cupboard bare.
Bottom line point is there is a lot of change to this seasons playing time and all to be managed by a new coaching staff.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I guess one might say Hurley left the cupboard bare, in the sense that anyone can say anything they want, it would just be a completely inaccurate thing to say. Cox just isn't getting enough out of the core and freshmen so far.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramrod wrote: 5 years ago Rewatching the game, because I missed it and I'm a glutton for punishment I guess. I wanted to see the carnage with my own eyes.

I have to say I was surprised to see the team was actually playing decently well for the first 12 minutes of the game. Up 19-18 at the under 8 with a bunch of opportunities to grow the lead. The team was actually playing with some good energy, even with Cyril on the bench with foul trouble. Definitely a few poor shots, but not outrageous. There did look to be an offensive game plan at this point in the game, the defense was good enough, but not great, considering Cyril was out of the game for 8 of those 12 minutes.

What I did notice was the freshman playing way too many minutes at that point in the game and all making some pretty poor freshman mistakes. Tate with an offensive foul on a transition layup when he should have passed it to Silverio. Silverio with a bad early three on one possession and a turnover on a forced drive on another. Harris with a bad early three. Martin was out there but was kind of invisible. At one point Cox had all 4 freshman on the court at once which I was surprised to see. The offense really stalled at this point and even when the vets came back in. Fatts, who had been playing decently well up until that point, started taking some really ill-advised threes. Preston took some wide open (for a reason) outside shots. None of our shots fell (or were even close), and SB went on a run of 3 three's in a row. That was basically all she wrote.

Cyril has to learn to not get these offensive fouls. He's made the same mistake over and over again of just barreling his shoulder into the guy who is standing right in front of him. It's not acceptable. If I was scouting him, it would be the first thing I would do is just stand and hold my ground when defending him. Don't ever try to go up and block his shot, just wait for him to charge into you. Overall, the first 12 minutes weren't as atrocious as I was expecting. The wheels came off after that, and coach never got the team back on track.

Agree with the posters that said expectations for this team (mine included, and even I had them on the lower end at 16-14 with an outside shot at top 4 in the A10) were just too high with 4 out of 9 core players as freshmen, and a freshman head coach. This is going to be a year with more moments like this, but hopefully a few bright spots. I do believe in this team's talent and the talent coming in next year as well.

My reset expectations are that the non-conference is going to be pretty ugly, and if the team can weather that storm and start clicking come A10 play, they can surprise folks come A10 tourney time.
Ramrod,
I also went back and watched the game on Sunday - wanted to hear the announcers and see it on TV.
- Similar observations to yours, especially the first 10 minutes of the game
1st half
- In the 1st minutes Jermaine Harris had an excellent offensive rebound and put-back.
- Harris hit a long shot that he banked in that was lucky, but then he missed a couple that looked like good shots. He had good energy
- Interesting at about the 11:40 mark 1st half when the announcers said that there was water on the floor, repeatedly said this, even after showing a close up camera view of Preston having his hand looked at
- Finally Dan York announced there was blood on the floor - the announcers finally recognized what everyone seemed to already know - even then they did not connect the blood with Preston until later. I think Preston cut his hand on the rim when he went for the put-back slam and missed - but he played about 30 seconds more before the timeout and blood started getting cleaned up.
- Don't know why with 6 minutes to go Ryan Preston is taking a deep 2. His shots should be from 8 feet in
- Langevine was a beast
- Dowtin had some excellent passes - just not enough of them

2nd half
- 1 minute into the 2nd half a Stony Brook 3 missed and was headed out of bounds in front of the SB bench. For some reason Fatts decided to try to save it, did, but threw a blind, off balance, lazy pass to Harris as he was headed up the court. Harris was not looking back but neither was anyone else. Announcers said Fatts didn't need to save it. Fatts yelled at Harris shortly thereafter. It was really Fatts' fault imho and he should not have mouthed at Harris
- Saw Cox having some not good words with Harris
- About the 18 minute mark Harris is pulled out
- At 9:38 remaining URI pulled to within 8 points 51-43 then had the ball to reduce to 6 points or even 5 with a three :) :)
- Very costly Turnover when Omar traveled 30 feet from the basket as he went to drive. This was a killer because Garcia then hit a deep 3 from the corner and the lead went to 11 points :( :(
- With the score 54-45 Langevine got called for a foul that was non-existent. Replay showed there was no foul at all

Observations:
- Langevine had an awesome double-double game but only played 26 minutes with 3 fouls. He needs to play as much as possible. Leading the A10 in rebounds with 9.8rpg he could be 1st team A10. He looks strong and healthy. Maybe the best rebounder in the league this season. His offensive rebounding is strong and his ability to put the ball back has improved
- Dowtin is 2nd in the A10 in Assists/Turnover ratio to no surprise. He had 3 great assists in this game. His shooting is solid even though he had several go in and out. Challenge for Cox will be to get the ball in Jeff's hands more
- Harris looked good versus SB in limited minutes. Didn't like seeing Cox go to the 4 guard offense, even though SB was going with 4 guards at the time. We got hurt inside as SB drove to the hoop for numerous easy buckets. Need Harris and Langevine both in the game - not one or the other
- Fatts running the danger of having the ball in his hands too much and the other players then will tend to watch. Cox has to manage this
- Martin needs to hit a couple of 3 balls to gain confidence. Needs to demonstrate more energy, especially on defense
- Saw Langevine giving Fatts a look one time during the game and had some words for him, clearly was not happy
- Losing 4 or the top 5 scorers from last year's team (Terrell, Matthews, Berry and Robinson) leaves a big gap to fill. Will be an interesting year as we watch which players step up and to what degree and how Coach Cox and Staff handle the process
Last edited by ramster 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago I guess one might say Hurley left the cupboard bare, in the sense that anyone can say anything they want, it would just be a completely inaccurate thing to say. Cox just isn't getting enough out of the core and freshmen so far.
Sorry if that came across as negative, because that was not my intent, but certainly can see why you would take it that way.

In essence, it's how things worked out, especially with EC's injury that pushed him into a Class that he was not originally part of. Also, Berry stepping up like he did his Senior year made him a solid starter as well so we lost 4 of our top 5 Scorers from an NCAA Tournament - Matthews, Terrell, Berry and Robinson - with only Dowtin returning. That is a lot of change management to orchestrate.

I loved Hurley, sad he left, but have moved on. Still root for him at UCONN so I am a minority here, but shows I am not critical of him leaving the cupboard bare - I still think this recruiting class is a good one - just will take more time than I estimated it would
Still very high on Harris, and high on Martin and Tate.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

When I think of the cupboard being bare in sports I think of a team devoid of talent, essentially the type of roster Hurley inherited. Having inexperienced talent around a good returning core doesn't feel like an empty cupboard to me
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

As I said RR2, I love Hurley, still do and am optimistic about this recruiting class. Substitute whatever you want for "cupboard is bare" but 7 of our top 10 scores from last year's team are gone, 4 of the top 5 are gone, and our Coaching Staff is gone, so that is a lot of change to manage. I like the incoming freshman class especially Jermaine Harris, love the Antwan Walker transfer, but for me the "cupboard went bare" and now the "cupboard has been refilled" with new talent by Dan Hurley and his staff before they left (except for Walker)
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Its a sobering reminder of what we lost, but we all knew this. Cox needs to get offenses moving and stop trusting the team to run streetball. I was watching Miami/Seton Hall last night, flawless offensive motions in their sets. Constant movement and attacking the basket, curling screening and basketball weaves. It was mighty refreshing to see and I'm not a fan of either school.
GO RAMS
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I hate the 4 guard lineup. Especially when they back Fatts down and just get points and fouls. Fatts needs to emulate Jarvis Garrett right now. Get to that level and then go from there. The defense cant stop once the guy gets Fatts to and inside the 3 point line.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Still think this team has a lot of talent and will boil down to whether Cox can mold Fatts. Simple as that. We are approaching 200 shots from three point land for Fatts and he is well below 30%. The fact that he can take early shot clock threes, especially contested ones, is beyond me. That would be an insta-bench for me. Lot of time left but that will be the story of the year. Fatts is the perfect complement to an alpha player on a team, as showed at the end of last year. Not afraid of a big moment and brings energy. Problem is he plays like Russ Westbrook and isn't quite good enough at everything else to make up for tons of bad jumpers. I am bullish here but will be mostly looking at that.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Looking at Stonybrooks remaining schedule they will likely be favored in all games going forward - likely going for America East title.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Gonebarongone wrote: 5 years ago Still think this team has a lot of talent and will boil down to whether Cox can mold Fatts. Simple as that. We are approaching 200 shots from three point land for Fatts and he is well below 30%. The fact that he can take early shot clock threes, especially contested ones, is beyond me. That would be an insta-bench for me. Lot of time left but that will be the story of the year. Fatts is the perfect complement to an alpha player on a team, as showed at the end of last year. Not afraid of a big moment and brings energy. Problem is he plays like Russ Westbrook and isn't quite good enough at everything else to make up for tons of bad jumpers. I am bullish here but will be mostly looking at that.
Agree for most part. I think their are some other variables that impact our W/L's besides Fatts but as 1 of the 2 main perimeter scoring options right now fixing him is definitely priority #1. CT also has to turn into a legit 3rd perimeter scoring option and can't just be a 6-8ppg guy if we are going to reach our ceiling. He needs to be a consistent 10-12 ppg guy IMO. We need that 3rd scorer or too much falls on Jeff and Fatts to create in the half court. And we are seeing what Fatts does when feels the burden to carry the load. Bad shots. Lots of them.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think URI hurt themselves in general by not pushing the envelope. When the other team doesn't make the basket URI should be looking to put more pressure on that team's transition defense. URI walking the ball up off a turnover or missed basket bails out the opposing team. Especially a team that is supposed to be less athletic.

Just running full speed would have gone a long way in this game.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I know most everyone watched the game. Some might just be commenting on the box score.
Cyril didn't play more because he picked up 2 fouls very early in the first half. Every college coach sits a post player with 2 fouls early. I wasn't as impressed with Cyril as others. He has hands of stone. He missed shots from 2 feet where touch fouls were called (4 of them). He needs to score and get a chance at a 3 point play. Instead he shoots 56% FTs.

In two of the other games he had a 0-8 first half and had 7 turn overs.
I thought he was going to be me much better offensively this year. I thought his injury impacted his offense last year but he still seems to struggle with the ball. Where is the Cyril that had 19 points vs St. Johns.

Overall, I was expecting more out of Harris and Martin but this year is on Jeff, Cyril, Fatts and Thompson. They need to deliver consistently.

Someone mentioned Layssard. Please get your head out of the stat sheet. He scored meaningless points in mop up time last year. He never played a significant minute last year. To just use math to project him into the top 6 in scoring this year is foolish.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Layssard was not an A10 Player, nothing personal, just the truth. Cyril has definitely improved his post moves and footwork. Lack of control sometimes is the problem. Like most players on this squad, they don't use basketball IQ to back out of a bad spot but keep going until they turn over the ball. Again, its a coaching issue.
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Agree with 83 in that I don't think feeding Cyril just based on his FG% is our best strategy. He is not a classic back to the basket type player. He can't pass well. He tends to get called for at least 1 charging foul a game when he is backing his guy in, and if I scouted him i would tell every guy to flop the minute he makes contact. As 83 also said, he misses tons of bunnies, could have had 2-3 3 point plays vs Stony Brook. To me the success of the season depends on 2 things: Fatts turning it around and us finding a consistent 3rd scorer. That isn't Cyril, he needs to score on put backs and dump offs, not be the focal point of the offense. Jeff is good as our #1. Fatts needs to solidify himself as a reliable #2. And we need a #3. Should be CT, but he isn't assertive enough yet on offense. At beginning of the year I said the biggest issue was who would be the 3rd scorer, that is still the same concern IMO.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I know most everyone watched the game. Some might just be commenting on the box score.
Cyril didn't play more because he picked up 2 fouls very early in the first half. Every college coach sits a post player with 2 fouls early. I wasn't as impressed with Cyril as others. He has hands of stone. He missed shots from 2 feet where touch fouls were called (4 of them). He needs to score and get a chance at a 3 point play. Instead he shoots 56% FTs.

In two of the other games he had a 0-8 first half and had 7 turn overs.
I thought he was going to be me much better offensively this year. I thought his injury impacted his offense last year but he still seems to struggle with the ball. Where is the Cyril that had 19 points vs St. Johns.

Overall, I was expecting more out of Harris and Martin but this year is on Jeff, Cyril, Fatts and Thompson. They need to deliver consistently.

Someone mentioned Layssard. Please get your head out of the stat sheet. He scored meaningless points in mop up time last year. He never played a significant minute last year. To just use math to project him into the top 6 in scoring this year is foolish.
Layssard is being taken out of context, please read the whole article before making a statement like some idiot just read the stat sheet. I simply said we only have 3 of the top 10 scorers back from last years team. That being Dowtin #3, Langevine #6 and Russell #7. I could have said 4 of the Top 11 as Preston was #11 but didn’t, just took the top 10.
The point being we have a lot of change here and a lot of guys need to step up especially for those like me, who idiotically it appears went way overboard on the contest :roll: :roll:
Akele and Layssard were planned for this years team but are not here for reasons. Would they have made a difference? Likely not much but they were still planned on being here just 6 months ago and unexpectedly are gone.

On the plus side, this Gives more opportunity to the Freshmen and to the returning Thompson but they need to grasp the opportunity. So far nobody has made a move towards A10 Rookie of the week - hopefully that changes soon and we get Rookie of the week performances from Harris, Martin, Tate and/or Silverio.
So far Preston and Thompson have not overly impressed as might have hoped - we need them too to step up.

Defensively as well as offensively the team needs to improve before the all important conference play begins in a month.

Now the Team is still led by Dowtin and Langevine with Russell in dire need to improve performance.

But is is very very early.

Brown Is big big big this Wednesday and PC is huge Saturday. Two wins this week will make a huge difference on this board, two losses and we all know how the board will be :lol:
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I think we really could have used Laysaard and especially Akele this year.

Akeles experience would have been nice to have and I'm sure Laysaard is a better alternative to our Greek Salad...

I agree about Cyril. He's not a smooth player. He's a bull in a china shop that sometimes pulls off a good move or two with his superior strength and athleticism. I can see him improving though.

I feel like Fatts is supposed to be the leading scorer for us. At least that is how they envisioned it. He's the only one who was expected to be a high scoring option coming out of high school. He is supposed to be putting up points, but then you have Jeff going out of his comfort zone jacking up jumpers as well. Just giving it to Cyril down low and letting his less refined post skills go to work.

Fatts has to get it going and we are going to have to move the ball more and set up some scoring options for the freshman.

Jeff is obviously the best player on the team. The second best is bound to be Christion Thomspon. He is doing his job about perfectly. He is playing his ass off out there and making play after play on defense and he has scored reasonably well. Charges, steals, rebounds he's getting after it.

This whole ship can turn around fast if Fatts gets going and at least one of the freshman starts making shots.

Add that to Jeffs play, CT's hard nosed playmaking and Cyrils double doubles and things will be looking up.
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Layssard and Akele were both 75% shooters in lay-up lines. That kind of production doesn't just replace itself.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 5 years ago Layssard and Akele were both 75% shooters in lay-up lines. That kind of production doesn't just replace itself.
Some of those were dunks. They were 90% on those.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago
Not Mike Powell wrote: 5 years ago Layssard and Akele were both 75% shooters in lay-up lines. That kind of production doesn't just replace itself.
It’s not like anyone replaced either one of these guys. They were both lost to the team. Adams was also lost from last April.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......perhaps both Layssard and Akele saw the lay of the land of the incoming freshmen and thought their PT would not increase much, if at all......Tertsea stayed......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Akele would be playing A LOT right now.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago I guess one might say Hurley left the cupboard bare, in the sense that anyone can say anything they want, it would just be a completely inaccurate thing to say. Cox just isn't getting enough out of the core and freshmen so far.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

We lost a PRO in Nicola Akele. He was ready for professional basketball, hence why he left early. Was poised for an All-Atlantic 10 Academic year.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PRT, the “we really could have used Layssard” comment has to be a joke. To group him with Akele who played 13 mins/game as a Soph and 9 mins/game as a Jr is ridiculous too.

Ramster, here is you comment on Layssard that I interpreted as if he were here he might “back fill” one of the top scoring spots from last year.

“Sure Layssard and Adele were 9th and 10th on the list but they are not back so they are obviously not candidates to back fill 4 of the top 5 scorers missing from last season.
You can scoff at Layssard and Adele but 11th high scorer was Ryan Preston who now is asked to fill in for those missing scorers from last year.”
“We will be good when we are good.”
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Akele would be playing A LOT right now.
Akele would have helped quite a bit this season. He has been though some battles, plays reasonable defense, can hit wide open shots, ran the floor, and also knows how to practice. I believe that the former head coach, in his own self-interest, would have probably convinced him to stay for his senior year. My expectations for this season were adjusted downward to hopefully having a winning record, when Akele and Laysaard left the team as well as the Adams decommit.

The coaching staff has many areas to work on and it's going to take some time. The team has little depth and to a certain extent it is hard to even make players earn playing time.

The one positive from this game for me was, I liked how Jeff Dowtin set up Dana Tate for a couple of easy buckets and good on Tate for moving without the ball. It usually takes time for players to learn how to move effectively without the ball. Jeff is an excellent player and want to see him continue to share the ball and help build up some of his teammates instead of trying to do it all by himself.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......probably, even being a starter from day one, even though I was neva big on Akele, I saw his minutes being reduced with the touted freshmen.......but that is clearly on me buying into the hype.......I gotta get off that......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago
.......probably, even being a starter from day one, even though I was neva big on Akele, I saw his minutes being reduced with the touted freshmen.......but that is clearly on me buying into the hype.......I gotta get off that......
So here we are, discussing the benefits of Akele. Gonna be a tough year if the freshmen don't assert themselves soon.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
section(105) wrote: 5 years ago
So here we are, discussing the benefits of Akele. Gonna be a tough year if the freshmen don't assert themselves soon.
.......yes, I gotta say, yes it will....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Akele would have been very helpful this year. A 5th. Year transfer would have been better yet.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

no way anyone on this team shoots 90% on dunks in the layup line. i bet they don't even make 50% as team! i know it's nitpicking, but it actually pi$$es me off to see all of them (including walk ons) trying to make these trick dunk shots and very rarely succeeding...i actually find it embarrassing.
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

RhodyRam86 wrote: 5 years ago

no way anyone on this team shoots 90% on dunks in the layup line. i bet they don't even make 50% as team! i know it's nitpicking, but it actually pi$$es me off to see all of them (including walk ons) trying to make these trick dunk shots and very rarely succeeding...i actually find it embarrassing.
old.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We’re at the point of thinking NICOLA AKELE would have been our savior right now?!

Hahahahahahah.

Yea he’s a “pro.”

I bet Dowtin Langevine and Fatts this very second could become a “pro” overseas in some league.

Spare me the Akele hype.
Last edited by Rhody15 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 5 years ago We lost a PRO in Nicola Akele. He was ready for professional basketball, hence why he left early. Was poised for an All-Atlantic 10 Academic year.

He left early because he was told he would not be playing this year.
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

And based on what we have seen in the first 4 games he was told something prematurely, because he would be playing. Not a savior by any stretch, merely a role player, but a veteran 6'7" guy that has high IQ, can hit open threes and defend his position would be playing on this team right now.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Where is Mike Layssard, anyway?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I am not really an Akele fan but he definitely would be a rotation player on this team
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago And based on what we have seen in the first 4 games he was told something prematurely, because he would be playing. Not a savior by any stretch, merely a role player, but a veteran 6'7" guy that has high IQ, can hit open threes and defend his position would be playing on this team right now.
.......maybe, in that the collective production of the freshmen, right now, is way less than expected.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938