Your Pick for the next Head Coach (2018)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

I want URI's next Head Coach to be...

Poll ended at 6 years ago

John Becker
1%
David Cox
76%
Nate Oats
5%
Rick Pitino
13%
Other (please write-in)
5%

Total votes: 147

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Your Pick for the next Head Coach

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If Dan had stayed his star probably would have dimmed a little this year...he knew that they would struggle some this year...the timing of the UConn effort to hire him away was good timing...for him that is.....he did waffle some at the end when URI came close to matching UConn's offer which likely did surprise him. Before URI's last ditch offer, he was 99% gone, no doubt about it.

He also felt that UConn's ceiling was higher than URI's, like it or not, and not just about the money and perks.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Point is he did not jump ship as some are insinuating because he saw this kind of year coming. Do you honestly think URI would be on the losing end of 6 of their last 7 games if Hurley was here?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago If Dan had stayed his star probably would have dimmed a little this year...he knew that they would struggle some this year...the timing of the UConn effort to hire him away was good timing...for him that is.....he did waffle some at the end when URI came close to matching UConn's offer which likely did surprise him. Before URI's last ditch offer, he was 99% gone, no doubt about it.

He also felt that UConn's ceiling was higher than URI's, like it or not, and not just about the money and perks.
Do you really think Dan would be letting Fatts chuck up a 17% 3 pt average with no consequence? Cmon man. And if Fatts didn't listen to DH for an end of the game play? You think that would happen?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago Point is he did not jump ship as some are insinuating because he saw this kind of year coming. Do you honestly think URI would be on the losing end of 6 of their last 7 games if Hurley was here?
It’s all hypothetical, but I (selfishly) would have liked to see him coach this group. It’s a different kind of challenge than the one he has this year (which is challenging in other ways).
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

With Dan we would not be as bad I agree....but not good enough for a postseason tourney either.

He struck while the iron was hot after last season.....who can blame him?

Yes with Dan Fatts would have bench sores, along with CT......what worries me about next season, will Cox STILL give Fatts and CT free reign to suck?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The title of this thread keeps making me think about who our NEXT coach will be after Cox.

Might be sooner than we all thought when DC was hired.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago With Dan we would not be as bad I agree....but not good enough for a postseason tourney either.

He struck while the iron was hot after last season.....who can blame him?

Yes with Dan Fatts would have bench sores, along with CT......what worries me about next season, will Cox STILL give Fatts and CT free reign to suck?
CT won't be here.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ace wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago Point is he did not jump ship as some are insinuating because he saw this kind of year coming. Do you honestly think URI would be on the losing end of 6 of their last 7 games if Hurley was here?
It’s all hypothetical, but I (selfishly) would have liked to see him coach this group. It’s a different kind of challenge than the one he has this year (which is challenging in other ways).
I’m not sure we would be good this year with Dan, but we probably wouldn’t be bad. Next year, though, I think Dan could have done a lot with. We will see what Cox can do with it.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
I’m not sure we would be good this year with Dan, but we probably wouldn’t be bad. Next year, though, I think Dan could have done a lot with. We will see what Cox can do with it.
I wouldn’t even venture a guess of the record. I’ve just really come to like URI basketball.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

You probably like it more than about half of the posters on this board right about now.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I wouldn’t even venture a guess of the record. I’ve just really come to like URI basketball.
Glad you stuck with us, Ace. I always enjoy your posts.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years agoBecker...no way.
What is the objection to John Becker at Vermont?...resume is not bad at all, 8 years(including this year): 2 ncaat, 2 nit, and projected to make the ncaat this year.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

My concern with Becker is recruiting. I’m not saying he wouldn’t be able to recruit at a high level in the A10, I just don’t know anything about what his recruiting pipelines are or what his staff would have looked like. I view Vermont as kind of a niche program. It’s basically in Canada. They’ve had a long run of decent success up there, but in an uncompetitive conference and selling a pretty unique experience to players. I’m not sure how it would translate at a different type of school. Maybe I’m wrong and he’ll eventually get the opportunity and crush it, but as a fan I was not at all excited about the idea of my school hiring him.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago

Agreed!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I wonder if Dan and DC will get together after the season and talk......I know they've talked already, but it couldn't hurt.

I'm sure DH has been watching what's happening with us at least a little bit...and has to be concerned. That's the kind of guy he is.

And yes, he has his own issues with his own team.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago My concern with Becker is recruiting. I’m not saying he wouldn’t be able to recruit at a high level in the A10, I just don’t know anything about what his recruiting pipelines are or what his staff would have looked like. I view Vermont as kind of a niche program. It’s basically in Canada. They’ve had a long run of decent success up there, but in an uncompetitive conference and selling a pretty unique experience to players. I’m not sure how it would translate at a different type of school. Maybe I’m wrong and he’ll eventually get the opportunity and crush it, but as a fan I was not at all excited about the idea of my school hiring him.
I think there are two things to think about with recruiting:
1) What type of assistant coaches would Becker look to have? If he hires guys who have good AAU/recruiting ties, he'll competitively recruit. Look at what Preston did for D. Hurley? Not just that, but someone like Preston has a fantastic developmental reputation with guards. If you find someone with good ties and a decent reputation developing some talent, they can help mitigate some of the challenges with a head coach jump, but that coach needs to be able to lure those coaches and the school needs to be able to competitive pay them.
2) Does Becker have any current AAU/prep ties? He could have good relationships with certain programs, but obviously their top talent is not going to consider Vermont. My guess with this one is that he probably doesn't, because if he did, reputation probably lands him a bigger job by now. He did turn down Duquesne a few years ago.

But he had some quotes a few weeks ago that I think would really allow him to fit ... I saw that he wants to make Vermont the Gonzaga of the North, so there is that.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Speaking of Preston, was he interested in the job last year? I know many here are against hiring someone with no head coaching experience, but since that's what we did..... I'm not saying Preston would be a better head coaching candidate than Cox. I'm just wondering if he was interested /applied /interviewed.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

My thoughts when I was like 8 years old. Come one, come all.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago

Thanks, that’s nice of you to say.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

time to wake up RHODY

THINK BIG DO WE

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/un ... o-1600641/
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago Thanks, that’s nice of you to say.
I'll say it too!

What's goin on in Old City?

One of my fav spots in USA!

We are lucky to have you as a fan Ace.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Speaking of Preston where is he now ?? He left Creighton didn’t he ???
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Speaking of Preston where is he now ?? He left Creighton didn’t he ???
He's still listed as an assistant:

https://gocreighton.com/coaches.aspx?path=mbb&
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

My pick for the next coach is someone who will play Jeff Dowtin as the point guard.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

They can’t fire Cox after one year. Give him a second year and set the bar at NIT or bust.

Any talk of Pitino is ridiculous. Do you really want that circus here for 2 years max? Then what?!?!?

I think Oats is a really good coach. Would love to see him at Rhody, but since he already is making $600k it probably is not realistic. He is signed thru 2023, not that that matters, except URI would need to offer him $1M per to entice him away. Check this out...
“Since taking over as Buffalo head coach, Oats added what the story called "a blue-collar element to his program that reflects Buffalo itself" — the coaching staff charts what it calls "blue-collar points", defined as any play that contributes to a win but is not recorded in a traditional box score, with examples including but not limited to pass deflections and taking charges. The player with the most such points in a given game receives a construction helmet.”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Why NIT or bust? The bar doesn't get lowered because we were bad this year. If we don't make the NCAA tournament next year, assuming standard injuries, with Dowtin and Langevine as seniors and the 50th recruiting class in the country as sophomores, with everyone having a year to get acclimated then next year is a failure
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......50th recruiting class in the country, 1st in A-10.....if those are the before season ratings I would love to see what the actual end of season ratings would be......if there was such a thing....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I want to see major improvement across the board....but as long as Fatts and CT are here we will have the same problem we have now.

Dowtin should be handed the keys to the PG position and Fatts should only spell him when he needs a break.

And CT should play less because he just isn't good enough to play major minutes if we want to be really good.

I really have very little confidence that Cox will figure it out.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I can see a 17-13 kind of season next year if we have the same issues....unfortunately that will probably be good enough to keep Cox around for a 3rd year.….and then we have Fatts at the point full time.....while any PG recruit sits.....wonderful

Forget any NCAA appearances.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Remember, almost universally, just 5-6 short months ago next years team was projected to be one of the best in URI history.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Urifan91 wrote: 5 years ago They can’t fire Cox after one year. Give him a second year and set the bar at NIT or bust.

Any talk of Pitino is ridiculous. Do you really want that circus here for 2 years max? Then what?!?!?

I think Oats is a really good coach. Would love to see him at Rhody, but since he already is making $600k it probably is not realistic. He is signed thru 2023, not that that matters, except URI would need to offer him $1M per to entice him away. Check this out...
“Since taking over as Buffalo head coach, Oats added what the story called "a blue-collar element to his program that reflects Buffalo itself" — the coaching staff charts what it calls "blue-collar points", defined as any play that contributes to a win but is not recorded in a traditional box score, with examples including but not limited to pass deflections and taking charges. The player with the most such points in a given game receives a construction helmet.”
Agree on Cox being here 2 years, but the notion that $600k is our coaching market is what is killing us.

You want the Dan Hurley’s? Pay them. Dan’s last contract was what we should’ve offered him a year earlier, and what we should be offering prospective coaches.

Otherwise this is what you get.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man, also look back to when Cox was trying to hire assistants.....without much luck.....what were we offering?

Chump change is what. 425K for the entire assistant staff?

You get what you pay for.

And now we're paying for it.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago Why NIT or bust? The bar doesn't get lowered because we were bad this year. If we don't make the NCAA tournament next year, assuming standard injuries, with Dowtin and Langevine as seniors and the 50th recruiting class in the country as sophomores, with everyone having a year to get acclimated then next year is a failure
Injuries.... Have said it before, but part of what is surprising about the team is that it's having this kind of season (not a good one)...with no real injuries to speak of...
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago Why NIT or bust? The bar doesn't get lowered because we were bad this year. If we don't make the NCAA tournament next year, assuming standard injuries, with Dowtin and Langevine as seniors and the 50th recruiting class in the country as sophomores, with everyone having a year to get acclimated then next year is a failure
Injuries.... Have said it before, but part of what is surprising about the team is that it's having this kind of season (not a good one)...with no real injuries to speak of...
Well we did lose our point guard.

He might as well be hurt since 2 guard Jeff Dowtin is about 60% of the player PG Jeff Dowtin was.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

I say NIT or bust because realistically URI is not the type of program that can withstand losing their head coach and 5 seniors, all who were major parts of the rotation, and expect to just continue to roll off one NCAA bid after another. Not many programs can. Am I disappointed in this years results? Yes. But let’s be realistic here, with all that turnover there was very little chance they were going to make the NCAA Tournament this year. So my bar going into this year was NIT, and that is where it will be for next year too. If coach Cox cannot attain that after two years with this group, which I think should be good enough, then yeah I would start looking for a new coach.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I do not expect URI to fire Cox at the end of this season. I myself think coaches should get more than just one year to prove themselves. I however am quickly losing confidence and hope that David Cox has what it takes to coach at this level. He looks lost and in over his head and does not seem to have any answers in righting this ship. This is very troubling. All the momentum that this program had recently built up is quickly fading away. If Cox cannot get things turned around next season in a big way, URI needs to take decisive action and quickly dump him. It cannot let this go on beyond two seasons.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Agree with everything you say, even not firing coach after one season. However, if it becomes so obvious that a coach cannot do the job at this point in his life, there is no reason to go with a second year.

So, the question is do we believe that coach cox will be a better coach next year???
theblueram
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote: 5 years ago Agree with everything you say, even not firing coach after one season. However, if it becomes so obvious that a coach cannot do the job at this point in his life, there is no reason to go with a second year.

So, the question is do we believe that coach cox will be a better coach next year???
Doesn't matter. DC will be the coach next year.
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

My Nate Oats vote is looking good right now... (Yes, I know there was zero chance we could get him, but still.)
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Maybe DC just doesn't have the personality to be a head coach. I guess you don't know until you try?

He's a nice guy, maybe too nice....most successful coaches are dicks....see Auriemma, Calhoun, Coach K, Calipari, Knight.....

Oats here would have been awesome.....love the way Buffalo plays....the way we should play....fat chance.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

But did we offer him $1.4 million? Not sure his salary, but I'm getting tired of hiring unproven people on the cheap.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

My guess is Thorr and Dooley will learn from this...of course if the Cox "experiment" fails, which we'll know for sure by next season.....

Reading the UConn board, it seems that most on there thought Hurley almost singlehandedly willed his team to victory today, getting his players and the crowd worked up big time. Watching a few replays, it did seem like his players were really into it.....it helps.

Our players and coach are sleepwalking. Nothing good can come from that.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago My guess is Thorr and Dooley will learn from this...of course if the Cox "experiment" fails, which we'll know for sure by next season.....

Reading the UConn board, it seems that most on there thought Hurley almost singlehandedly willed his team to victory today, getting his players and the crowd worked up big time. Watching a few replays, it did seem like his players were really into it.....it helps.

Hurley did that every game for us. It worked.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote: 5 years ago I need to know how much caffeine our new friend TJrams91 consumes in a day. It seems like a lot.

Decided to go back and read through this thread since it was brought up/ resurfaced in discussion earlier this week.

On page 2 this is one of the funniest posts I’ve read on KB, in hindsight. :D
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago My guess is Thorr and Dooley will learn from this...of course if the Cox "experiment" fails, which we'll know for sure by next season.....

Hurley did that every game for us. It worked.
Yep, because if his team was 'even' on talent, they almost always had a heart/hustle edge. He made sure of it. Oh well, just a different kind of 'fun' I guess...
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 5 years ago I need to know how much caffeine our new friend TJrams91 consumes in a day. It seems like a lot.

Decided to go back and read through this thread since it was brought up/ resurfaced in discussion earlier this week.

Who drank more coffee? DCRams or TJRams

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We need another Al Skinner, someone who wanted to stay here, and had a modicum of success in line with what realistic expectations should be for this program.

In other words, someone who can get us to the dance every few years, and a few NIT's....

Trying to find the "splash hire" who gets us a couple years of great results, and then bolts for greener pastures, just continues the boom or bust cycle that leads us to more David Cox's.

Until we can fund the MBB program in line with the VCU's of our conference, we won't meet Thorr's stated expectations.

Hurley knew that better than anyone...I remember him saying at the RI State House, that the MBB budget needed to be increased a couple million a year in order to consistently compete at the top of the A10.

To date, that hasn't happened, and here we are.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Who drank more coffee? DCRams or TJRams
That’s easy……

Because TJ Rams responded to Ace with this
Tjrams91 wrote: 5 years ago Haha!! Thanks! But only one iced coffee per day my man!! 😀
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Hahahaha Great find
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Jeez reading back we had this pegged ahead of last year’s dumpster fire too.

So basically every year since hiring it was apparent Cox was not the guy.

The only loud voices in support of Cox since he moved Dowtin off the ball were either PC trolls or DCRams burner accounts.

Ugh. Please donors do the right thing.

Give to Rhody's NIL