3/9 | VCU Rams | 12PM (NBCSN) (A10 Quarterfinal)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: 3/9 | VCU Rams | 12PM (NBCSN) (A10 Quarterfinal)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhodyRam86 wrote:Definitely great to be back in the win column. Something did jump out in the box score that I wasn't aware of while watching. In most games our guys top out at 32-33 minutes. Jarred play 40 and Jeff played 38. Just something to keep an eye on this weekend. Maybe we give Joes a little payback and can give these guys some rest...
One reason being that I don't think Jarvis is feeling well enough to give his usual 18-20 minutes. He only played 8. Dan had to change up the rotation a little bit.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:Definitely great to be back in the win column. Something did jump out in the box score that I wasn't aware of while watching. In most games our guys top out at 32-33 minutes. Jarred play 40 and Jeff played 38. Just something to keep an eye on this weekend. Maybe we give Joes a little payback and can give these guys some rest...
One reason being that I don't think Jarvis is feeling well enough to give his usual 18-20 minutes. He only played 8. Dan had to change up the rotation a little bit.

yup...that and Andre and Cyril being in foul trouble.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
ramster wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:

I just read the VCU message board. They complained about officiating throughout. How Tillman had to get tackled to get a call. I guess it's a matter of perspective. But i'll reiterate that I never complain about officiating. Heck...I even defended the refs on the EC charge call against Oregon last year. Tillman was definitely getting calls he didn't deserve and I have a hard time with someone that didn't watch the game having such a strong opinion on any part of it.
How can you say you never complain about officiating but you are complaining about Tillman? At the game and never did the URI contingent lend one to believe that URI was getting screwed. Tillman even had 4 fouls. He was a beast. Got to give him credit even hitting threes.
If we had lost this game it would not have been due to the refs. Crowd there didn’t show it. Maybe it looked different on TV.

In my 2 to 3 years on this board I have never complained about officiating until today and have often griped at those that do complain about officiating. If you don't believe me, go back and look at my posts and prove me a liar. Tillman is a beast. Played a great game, but he also benefitted from several weak foul calls. I don't think the URI contingent at the game could have nearly the same perspective as the URI contingent at home when determining the validity of calls. Did you have the benefit of seeing a instant replay. The ability to see a play 2 or 3 times? Perhaps you had angles and views of plays that we at home didn't get to see...
Nobody was complaining. And if you go to games like this and the officiating is bad, believe me, the URI contingent will not be shy. Were the announcers on TV thinking URI was getting screwed? Surprising if they did.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

They said the play where Tillman knocked over Berry while scoring in the post was a clear charge.....
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Listened on the radio today - Steve and Don were complaining that Tillman got a foul every time down the floor and how the game was being called tighter than the games yesterday.

I personally thought that neutral floor would benefit us in that the refs would not call the game as tight.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

hrstrat57 wrote:They said the play where Tillman knocked over Berry while scoring in the post was a clear charge.....
Which would have been Tillman's 5th foul.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

no...the announcers did not comment on the officiating in any notable way (except for the above noted charge). however, for the most part announcers aren't going to say too much anyway. my point of making an issue of this here is that I don't have a history of whining about officiating so for me to mention it, I had to see it as being piss poor. And if you read the board, most that watched this on tv saw it the same way.

I'm always one for a good debate, but I'm not going to argue this subject anymore with scine (who didn't even see the game) or you, who had the good fortune of being at the game (I am happy for you and all others that were able to go to support our team), but watched without the benefit of instant replay and close ups.
Last edited by RhodyRam86 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote:
I love this kind of stuff...thanks for (and keep) posting
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

rhodylaw wrote:Listened on the radio today - Steve and Don were complaining that Tillman got a foul every time down the floor and how the game was being called tighter than the games yesterday.

I personally thought that neutral floor would benefit us in that the refs would not call the game as tight.
It sure did seem that way for a large part of the second half. If Dre or Cyr so much as breathed on him, Tillman was going to the line. Thankfully his free-throw shooting was as bad as ours.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

TP is slacking with that St Joes game thread :lol:
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'm done trying to figure out our FT shooting....we were 3-11 late in the game and we go 8-8 at the end.....go figure.

You never know what you're going to get with us.

At least Tillman was his usual self at the line.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRam86 wrote:no...the announcers did not comment on the officiating in any notable way (except for the above noted charge). however, for the most part announcers aren't going to say too much anyway. my point of making an issue of this here is that I don't have a history of whining about officiating so for me to mention it, I had to see it as being piss poor. And if you read the board, most that watched this on tv saw it the same way.

I'm always one for a good debate, but I'm not going to argue this subject anymore with scine (who didn't even see the game) or you, who had the good fortune of being at the game (I am happy for you and all others that were able to go to support our team), but watched without the benefit of instant replay and close ups.
Berry came off the court to the bench with his hands raised up showing the guys on the bench how he just stood there. He obviously did not think he committed a foul.
All this whining about the officials and we won, imagine if we had lost
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:no...the announcers did not comment on the officiating in any notable way (except for the above noted charge). however, for the most part announcers aren't going to say too much anyway. my point of making an issue of this here is that I don't have a history of whining about officiating so for me to mention it, I had to see it as being piss poor. And if you read the board, most that watched this on tv saw it the same way.

Berry came off the court to the bench with his hands raised up showing the guys on the bench how he just stood there. He obviously did not think he committed a foul.

you're right ramster. I think I would have had less to say about it if we lost as it would have sounded more like sour grapes. hope you and the rest of the "contingent" are there to root strong tomorrow and Sunday.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

scine20 wrote:Rhode Island has not played a complete game since February 2nd at VCU. The spread today was a joke. Anyone who's been watching this team knows they're not blowing out any even halfway decent opponent.
??????
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The refs were really bad I thought but we will take the win and move on

Survive and advance
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

scine20 wrote:Rhode Island has not played a complete game since February 2nd at VCU. The spread today was a joke. Anyone who's been watching this team knows they're not blowing out any even halfway decent opponent.
Dude...what are you watching and what is up with you?
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Which game since the VCU game would you consider to be complete? They've had good halves. But complete games?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Must be a new good batch of weed going around today. :lol:
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

scine20 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Which game since the VCU game would you consider to be complete? They've had good halves. But complete games?

I think they played a pretty complete game at Olean and they also played a complete game at home vs. Dayton. Both games after VCU. Can't always judge by the score. Sometimes you have to give the other team credit as well...such as Dayton in the first half and St. Bonnies a complete game. Sometimes it has to be pointed out by people that actually watch games.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

scine20 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Any game where your team score is higher than the other team is "complete" enough. What's YOUR definition?
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
scine20 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

I think they played a pretty complete game at Olean and they also played a complete game at home vs. Dayton. Both games after VCU. Can't always judge by the score. Sometimes you have to give the other team credit as well...such as Dayton in the first half and St. Bonnies a complete game. Sometimes it has to be pointed out by people that actually watch games.
They were trailing by double digits against Dayton in the middle of the first half.

Like I said, they played good halves. But since that VCU game they've been highly inconsistent.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
scine20 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Any game where your team score is higher than the other team is "complete" enough. What's YOUR definition?
So you think they played well in games like La Salle, for example?

URI is more talented than these teams. They're supposed to win.

To me with the exception of a couple of guys it's been a real struggle. Hopefully the end of today's game got them out of their funk.

Do they look like a top 25 team to you? To me they sure don't.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dan had to go with his best all game today...especially at the end.....EC sitting tells me that Dan has lost a little confidence in him in crunch time.

Hopefully that won't wear JT and Jeff down too much....but it was necessary....and Fatts stepped up also.....

I think we're back....we won't see the team that didn't show up on senior night again.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

scine20 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
scine20 wrote: Which game since the VCU game would you consider to be complete? They've had good halves. But complete games?

To me with the exception of a couple of guys it's been a real struggle. Hopefully the end of today's game got them out of their funk.

Sounds like 'complete game' is something you're not able to define, 'you' just know it when 'you' see it?
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

scine20 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
scine20 wrote: Which game since the VCU game would you consider to be complete? They've had good halves. But complete games?

So scrine20 whatnis youe expectations of this team and complete games, utter perfection EVERYTIME they take the floor, dude we are 24-6, with a shot at another A10 tourney title and possibly a 6-7 seed. When the past 20 years besides the Harrick era have we’ve been able to have conversations about being A10 favorites, going on 16 game win streaks, and bring in the top 25 for 7 weeks

Do you want them to play like Villanova in ‘85 everytime they are out there, maybe shoot 60% + from the floor, win by 20+ pts every game.

Your the guy that was bitching about people bitching about the refs today, yet you didn’t watch the game. GTFOH with all this crap, either you are a PC troll or just trying to piss everyone on this board off.

Take it down a notch with your takes
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

By the way, auburn got routed today by Bama, they must not be a top 25 either according to you
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I thought it was very telling that Fatts was in for EC down the stretch.

Thought we just toughed out that game. We overcame foul trouble with the bigs, and some bad first half foul shooting. This is tournament basketball nothing will be easy going forward, including tomorrow.

Berry and Akele stepped up, and Dowtin was really good again. Fatts huge as well. Think we'll be sharper tomorrow.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Have to guess that Dan had a long talk with EC this week....if he's hurting, he's hurting the team being out there.

But he was good early, and helped keep us close in the 1st half.

These guys are all team players, thankfully.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......did we loose?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
scine20 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

Sounds like 'complete game' is something you're not able to define, 'you' just know it when 'you' see it?
To me they haven't looked like a top 25 team since that VCU game. Let's put it that way.

I've thought for a while that they were wearing down. Like I said, I didn't see today's game but my assumption is that the week off was good and having lost 2 straight they were tight. I expect tomorrow to be a good performance.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Just back from game.. I know took awhile to find way back to hotel... Its tough to win in these tourneys.. Witness all the higher seeds dropping in other conferences.. There were numerous times we could have folded and did not... So fun to be there.. Especially enjoyed my scramble to buy tix for tomorrow from vcu fans.. I was kind.. Failed but jumped on stub hub and got in with the rest of the rhody faithful in sec 120.. Great turnout by rhody blue.. Slow pub crawl and museum run ending at team hotel and sneaking into fan picture.. Need to teach st joes a lesson.. Hit some shots early..want to be on stub hub again at around 330 tomorrow. Rhody rhody rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
ramster wrote:

you're right ramster. I think I would have had less to say about it if we lost as it would have sounded more like sour grapes. hope you and the rest of the "contingent" are there to root strong tomorrow and Sunday.
By the way they do have replays on the 4 sided overhead screen here.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

scine20 wrote: So you think they played well in games like La Salle, for example?

Do you think Top 25 teams just dominate every game, win by 30 and never trail at any point? Hell 15 teams in the Top 25 lost last week!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

20 I really have to say I don’t know what you’re talking about here.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I swear some people won’t be happy unless we are undefeated all year and win the national championship
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote:I swear some people won’t be happy unless we are undefeated all year and win the national championship
And every game, must be...a shutout.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
steveystuds06 wrote:I swear some people won’t be happy unless we are undefeated all year and win the national championship
But don’t forget it would need to be against a “worthy” opponent otherwise it doesn’t count.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
But don’t forget it would need to be against a “worthy” opponent otherwise it doesn’t count.
And don't even think about missing a free throw.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I did not realize the official A-10 Tournament post game press conferences are on Facebook Live right after the game. Here is today's:

theblueram
Frank Keaney

Mods I think someone has hijacked Scine20's account.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

adam914 wrote:
scine20 wrote: So you think they played well in games like La Salle, for example?

Do you think Top 25 teams just dominate every game, win by 30 and never trail at any point? Hell 15 teams in the Top 25 lost last week!
Of course not. But I'd like to see a complete game once or twice. It's been over a month...
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

It seems people are arguing with me about the fact that I said URI has not played its best basketball of the season in the past month and at times has largely struggled, including struggles from some of their seniors.

I think they've had a great season. It's by far the best season I've ever seen as a fan and historically I would assume it's a top 2 or 3 season. People are twisting around my words.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

scine20 wrote:
adam914 wrote:

Of course not. But I'd like to see a complete game once or twice. It's been over a month...
What IS a "complete game" then?
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

scine20 wrote:It seems people are arguing with me about the fact that I said URI has not played its best basketball of the season in the past month and at times has largely struggled, including struggles from some of their seniors.

I think they've had a great season. It's by far the best season I've ever seen as a fan and historically I would assume it's a top 2 or 3 season. People are twisting around my words.

dude (or maam), I gave you two examples. St. Bonnies at Olean and Dayton at home. You countered with we were down double digits to Dayton at home (said nothing about Bonnies). In fact our biggest deficit to Dayton was 7 points with 5 minutes left in the half and we were ahead by half time. I contend that we played well in the first half and Dayton did too. Can we play a complete game and still be losing at some point during the game or is that not allowed in your definition of a complete game?

again...you admittedly didn't watch this game today and I'm guessing by your misrepresentation of facts you didn't watch the Dayton game either which severely weakens your opinion.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
scine20 wrote:It seems people are arguing with me about the fact that I said URI has not played its best basketball of the season in the past month and at times has largely struggled, including struggles from some of their seniors.

dude (or maam), I gave you two examples. St. Bonnies at Olean and Dayton at home. You countered with we were down double digits to Dayton at home (said nothing about Bonnies). In fact our biggest deficit to Dayton was 7 points with 5 minutes left in the half and we were ahead by half time. I contend that we played well in the first half and Dayton did too. Can we play a complete game and still be losing at some point during the game or is that not allowed in your definition of a complete game?

again...you admittedly didn't watch this game today and I'm guessing by your misrepresentation of facts you didn't watch the Dayton game either which severely weakens your opinion.
I watched the Dayton game until it was out of hand.

No I didn't watch a game in the middle of the day during a workday. You're acting like that's some sort of crime.

You think that St. Bonaventure was a complete game? I guess we have different versions of complete game. The VCU game in February was a complete game. They had several before the VCU game.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
scine20 wrote:
adam914 wrote:
What IS a "complete game" then?
One that they play well start to finish?

This argument has gotten to this point because people are getting upset that I'm saying that the team hasn't played its best basketball of the season for over a month. I don't see how this is so complicated.

Do you think that they've been playing their best ball of the year?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

A complete game in college hoops is a win. Especially in Late Feb/March when young teams have had 4 months to get their act together.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

theblueram wrote:A complete game in college hoops is a win. Especially in Late Feb/March when young teams have had 4 months to get their act together.
Yeah, that La Salle game was terrific. They should play every game like that. Of course if they do they will not be around past next Friday.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

scine20 wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:

I watched the Dayton game until it was out of hand.

No I didn't watch a game in the middle of the day during a workday. You're acting like that's some sort of crime.

You think that St. Bonaventure was a complete game? I guess we have different versions of complete game. The VCU game in February was a complete game. They had several before the VCU game.

the crime isn't in missing an afternoon game. the crime is in giving strong opinions about a game you didn't even see.

Yes...I believe St. Bonnies was a complete game. We played toe to toe in a hostile environment against a streaking team that was desperate for a good win.

What is your definition of a complete game? You've yet to define.