‘20 MD Elijah Wood (Nebraska)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: ‘20 MD Elijah Wood (Rhode Island Commit)

Unread post by ramster »

Here are that stats for BCC from last summer in capital hoops league
646BD633-3A0A-47D4-9FA5-565FAE6A1585.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago Thanks Bos8
Are these teams basically representative of their High School Rosters?
Or is this a higher level of All Star type players? It looks like high school’s playing high schools. How is this level of competition?

https://www.capitolhoopssummerleague.co ... eams-2019-
It’s high schools playing high schools. This league has every team in the WCAC, MAC and IAC playing in it. Many of these schools are loaded with high/mid major talent.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reckless jake wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago

Wood with 36 tonight and the shot and buzzer to win against Landon.
36 points, 7 boards, 4 assists and only 1 turnover. And the game winner in OT. Not bad.
For some perspective......

Landon starting 5:

Canin Reynolds: 34 min, 27pts, 5’8” class 2020
Kino Lily: 31 min, 20 pts, 6’0” class 2021
Mike Gray: 28 min, 19 pts, 5’10” class 2022
Aaron Hart: 31 min, 5 pts, 5’10” class 2022
Cullen Brown: 31 min, 9 pts, 6’4” class 2022

19CBB41B-0467-4576-A9CB-52B1FE249580.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Running Ram wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago My reason for posting the videos and recent high school play was to share information with KBers who recently had interest in this thread. I felt they had read a lot of negativity and wanted them to see video. I realize you can make players look good in highlight videos. I felt after watching these videos that Elijah has some talent. It wasn’t a response to Slim.
Don't worry 83, everyone knew that except skim and ramster.
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

“We will be good when we are good.”
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

It's summer league. Sometimes guys are there, sometimes guys aren't. Guys may have other commitments, tournaments etc. With that said, Landon has a pretty high level back court. Both Canin and Kino can play. Canin plays for Takeover 17U and Kino plays for DC Premier 16U.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

ramster stop trying to justify your responses and understand what is going on in this thread please! slim is a non-fan, 83 is a fan, you're backing slim. Cut the shit!
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Running Ram wrote: 5 years ago ramster stop trying to justify your responses and understand what is going on in this thread please! slim is a non-fan, 83 is a fan, you're backing slim. Cut the shit!
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
Running Ram wrote: 5 years ago ramster stop trying to justify your responses and understand what is going on in this thread please! slim is a non-fan, 83 is a fan, you're backing slim. Cut the shit!
Relax
Back your team and I'll stop calling you out.
Go Rhody!!!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Boy this thread sure is going to be fun to revisit in a couple years.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago Boy this thread sure is going to be fun to revisit in a couple years.
How about in a couple of months when his rankings drop?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Relax
The guy is being celebrated from his performance against a team with 4 players 6’ tall and below
I’d like to see him play AAU ball this summer but he is not playing.
Not sure what justifying responses means.
How do you know he isn’t playing AAU this summer?

I have no idea about the level of play last night except Reynolds and Lilly are D1 players one of which was the MVP of the Capitol Hoops Summer League last year.

Elijah’s performance last night seems to be the top story per the Capitol Hoops SL twitter.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Relax
The guy is being celebrated from his performance against a team with 4 players 6’ tall and below
DeMatha’s Summer League is as good or better than AAU ball.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Btw, Mekhi Long played for three different teams his last three years of high school. I don’t recall any uproar over that when he committed. Unfortunately the jumping from school to school has become more common these days.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Have a game Elijah Wood !!

I agree this is going to be one of our most scrutinized recruits when we look back in a few years

Let’s hope he can come close to what Dowtin has given us
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Sounds mature. Well spoken.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

This is a strange thread. We have a four star, top 150 recruit, in a position of need, with 3 open schollies, and a lot of folks don't like it. What am I missing? Are we supposed to turn the kid down; tell him to go elsewhere? He's what #117? Lets say he's 20% overated; he's still in the top 150. We were screaming for recruits like this 2 coaches ago; doing all our recruiting in the spring, etc, and now we're knocking four stars that want to come here? I'm happy we're getting players early. I have no idea how good he is; we'll see when the time comes.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

UCH21377 wrote: 5 years ago This is a strange thread. We have a four star, top 150 recruit, in a position of need, with 3 open schollies, and a lot of folks don't like it. What am I missing? Are we supposed to turn the kid down; tell him to go elsewhere? He's what #117? Lets say he's 20% overated; he's still in the top 150. We were screaming for recruits like this 2 coaches ago; doing all our recruiting in the spring, etc, and now we're knocking four stars that want to come here? I'm happy we're getting players early. I have no idea how good he is; we'll see when the time comes.
BINGO!!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

UCH21377 wrote: 5 years ago This is a strange thread. We have a four star, top 150 recruit, in a position of need, with 3 open schollies, and a lot of folks don't like it. What am I missing? Are we supposed to turn the kid down; tell him to go elsewhere? He's what #117? Lets say he's 20% overated; he's still in the top 150. We were screaming for recruits like this 2 coaches ago; doing all our recruiting in the spring, etc, and now we're knocking four stars that want to come here? I'm happy we're getting players early. I have no idea how good he is; we'll see when the time comes.
FWIW - I took the initial posts 'critical' of Wood as a poster or two trying to temper expectations, as opposed to crapping on the signing. Like, I think it's relevant to know that his stats weren't great his last two years of high school, and that his ranking and rating might slip as a result; and, that his rating is based more on projection than what he did in HS. From there, I think people got entrenched on their various sides and dug in deeper, but hey, that happens all the time on The Internet.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Some of the comments on page 1 got this thread off to a weird start.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

nm
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Most AAU teams that don’t qualify for their circuits’ championship round(s) play in independent tournaments in the summer. They don’t just shut down their programs.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

There are AAU tourneys all the way through July, run by folks like Hoop group, Zero Gravity, etc. To 83s point most teams keep playing, including if they are a circuit team that didn’t qualify for the finals of their circuit.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I want to get back to the topic and echo what UCH said.. For 2020, we needed a PG, Cox & Co. grabbed one. We wanted one that was highly ranked, Cox & Co. did that. We needed size in the back court, Cox & Co. made that happen.
I think this is a great pickup. Seems like a good kid. Even better that it happened in May.. well done.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Most AAU teams that don’t qualify for their circuits’ championship round(s) play in independent tournaments in the summer. They don’t just shut down their programs.
Keep us posted then. I’d like to see him play live in AAU this summer.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

PG is our biggest need

We sign a 4* top 100 guard early

People complain

Never change...
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

A team signs player outside the top 150- ratings are irrelevant!
A team signs player inside the top 150- he’s highly ranked and that’s important!

He’s signed early, so there’s lots of time to track his play and development. Until then, nobody knows much of anything.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago The comment about AAU is misleading. There are plenty of good players playing Adidas and UA. Nike is the deepest.
Sure there are good players on Adidas and UA, but Nike EYBL is not just the deepest as you say, but very high quality to boot.
Last year, 17 of the top 25 in ESPN Top 100 Listing were in the EYBL AAU. This is typical of any year
3CE5E48B-63B1-4EBA-A4BF-440C4745FD1B.png
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
Relax
How do you know he isn’t playing AAU this summer?

I have no idea about the level of play last night except Reynolds and Lilly are D1 players one of which was the MVP of the Capitol Hoops Summer League last year.

Elijah’s performance last night seems to be the top story per the Capitol Hoops SL twitter.

A recent comparison would be Expressions Elite beating Team Takeover 79-72 in Dallas EYBL session 3 last weekend

Canin Reynolds only had 5 points (3-3 FTs) 1 rebounds, 3 assists in 22 minutes for Team Takeover. Reynolds is not doing as well in EYBL as he is in HS and DC Summer League

For Expressions Elite, Dyondre Dominguez had 17 points and Enoch Cheeks had 18 points - both players are from Providence and both have offers from URI
0A1DE2A7-4968-484A-A96A-A249FCD0C8C5.png
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I like the angle that Coach Cox coming here is what started the winning. Obviously Danny was a major factor as well, but I don’t think it was coincidence that we started playing better offensively when Cox came.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I don’t think it was a coincidence either, I think it was because our best offensive players became Juniors and Seniors (Jared, EC, Jarvis, Kuran, Stan, Hass)
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

rhodylaw, I'm with you, I've beat that drum before. I think they made a good combo of coaches. DH certainly had chops and is the main factor behind our program surge, he pulled us out of the swamp as I like to say, got the excitement up, got the moneys flowing into the program, brought recognition and legitimacy back to our program. Worked his ass off to do it. But I think DC has a keen bb mind and I think he was good for DH. There was a lot less pushing square pegs into round holes once DC's influence took affect. And that's not to say that DH wouldn't have succeeded without Cox, the guy's too motivated and talented to not find a way to succeed. And, to be clear, there were more than a few wins before Cox arrived, but DC's hiring might have been the best decision DH made while here.
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago I don’t think it was a coincidence either, I think it was because our best offensive players became Juniors and Seniors (Jared, EC, Jarvis, Kuran, Stan, Hass)
also a good point.
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Another factor to consider is DH's decision to give all the game scouts to Cox, where as he had been rotating the scouts among his assistants. It says something good about both coaches, Dan's ability to ID Cox's ability to scout games. And that's not to say DH doesn't do well himself scouting games, it's to say DH does well managing a program.
Go Rhody!!!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Dan and Dave were a great combo. Dave came along at a perfect time- he brought his skill set to a program already on the upswing, with highly ranked players coming into their own, and a program where the coach was pushing for enhancements, like increased salary pool. I think there’s something to be said for coaches who have had other experiences, in this case for both guys it was working in education. Not to sound all meta or whatever, but I think Dave needs to find his own Dave. Sutton is fine and maybe he continues to evolve this season to be that guy, but I’m not sure. Maybe it’s the new guy.

Dave’s coaching path had its ups and downs- he knew he was good but sometimes circumstances get the best of you (Rutgers, Georgetown). It’s tough- Dave had offers to leave, but they were able to retain him with promotions and certain assurances. It’s not always possible to keep guys that good.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Dave wanted Van Macon to be that guy but URI couldn't afford him. Now he's at SJU.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago Dave wanted Van Macon to be that guy but URI couldn't afford him. Now he's at SJU.
With $500k coming in from the NCAA for the next 5 years, how could we not afford anyone? Tell you what, if this admin starts cheaping out on the BB program, it's gonna hurt them for years after.
Last edited by theblueram 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago Dave wanted Van Macon to be that guy but URI couldn't afford him. Now he's at SJU.
Van Macon will kill recruiting in his hometown on NY.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
With $500k coming in from the NCAA for the next 5 years, how could we not afford anyone? Tell you what, if this admin starts cheaping out on the BB program, it's gonna hurt them for years after.
I think it is $825,000/year but Thorr has said that is spread across all sports.
A Cox hiring press conference last year, Thorr said they increased the Assistants’ salary pool by 6%.

I think Van Macon was staying at SLU unless Rhody offered him more money. He was being paid well at SLU. I think he was in the $300k range.

Big east teams get $4 million/year from their Fox Sports deal. They are going to pay Assistants more.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I should've said URI wouldn't pay him, not that URI couldn't afford him. I think they should've paid him.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

URI needs to increase their assistant pool at least 100K, to a minimum of 550K.

That's in line with Dayton and VCU, more or less. Want to play, need to pay.
Slim
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Slim »

DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Slim wrote: 5 years ago
Landon didn’t have there whole team Slim.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Missing the MVP of last year’s Capitol Hoops SL Kino Lilly.
I saw that box score earlier and thought Landon is weak.
I don’t think anyone is saying that Elijah’s team is one of the top teams in the SL. They will probably struggle against West Lake also.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

When does Elijah's team play again?
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Missing the MVP of last year’s Capitol Hoops SL Kino Lilly.
I saw that box score earlier and thought Landon is weak.
I don’t think anyone is saying that Elijah’s team is one of the top teams in the SL. They will probably struggle against West Lake also.
Correct. BCC is not good.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Here is the full summer league schedule

https://cdn3.sportngin.com/attachments/ ... 1558662397
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »