2015 NIT

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: 2015 NIT

Unread post by SGreenwell »

bressler3south wrote:It's unclear if he'll be at the game or not - He wasn't at practice, and he's been unavailable to the media since then, it looks like. I agree that it kind of sucks if he also no-shows the game, but if he is hurt - and from the teammate comments, it sounds like he is - I don't really mind if he's skipping the game in the third-tier tournament. If URI was in the CBI instead of the NIT, would you be OK with Biruta or Martin not playing?

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would expect them to be there in full support of their teammates.
ALL FOR ONE AND ONE FOR ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But if they're hurt, it would be OK if they were in street clothes and not dressed? I mean, Booker's game starts in an hour and he could not be there, and that I would have an issue with. But if he's hurt, and there in street clothes, I don't have an issue that he doesn't want to play in a third-tier tournament. I'm not especially comfortable with 21-year-olds pulling a Willis Reed to play in the CBI.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

For any tournament except the NCAA's I would hold a vote of the coaches and players as to whether to accept the invitation.....simple majority...if the vote is to accept everyone must play....no conscientious objectors....all for one...one for all....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

UConn goes down...

I think things are set up well for Richmond to get to MSG....

We wouldn't see them until the final....getting ahead of myself of course....
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Bad night for the Mountain West Conference with the Boise State loss to Dayton and now in the NIT, #8 South Dakota State defeats #1 seed Colorado State, 86-76. That game completes the First Round of the NIT and the second round pairings are:

Temple vs. GW
Louisiana Tech vs. Texas A&M
Richmond vs. Arizona State
Alabama vs. Miami
Tulsa vs. Murray State
Illinois State vs. Old Dominion
Rhode Island vs. Stanford
Vanderbilt vs. South Dakota State
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

All good matchups. Should be fun.

No stickout in the bunch. Other than wanting Rhody to win it all, almost any team left could win this thing.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

winner of URI vs Stanford will host the next game as the other game is the #5 seed vs #8 seed
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Well, GW is done. It's up to us.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

GW falls at Temple 90-77. The Colonials finish 22-13 after having started their season off 12-3 with an impressive win over a ranked Wichita State.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

GW = CFL worthy.
By the way, CFL looks like he has a real shot to get
his bought for 20 wins again.
They beat Bowling Green for their 18th win.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Worth every penny, Rod.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote:Well, GW is done. It's up to us.
Spiders are still playing too
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

rodfromcranston wrote:GW = CFL worthy.
By the way, CFL looks like he has a real shot to get
his bought for 20 wins again.
They beat Bowling Green for their 18th win.
On their board, they're calling it "The Elite Eight."
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Stanford beat Vanderbilt and earned a trip to NYC. That game drew only a few more people than their game with URI, some 1500 fans. The other schools making it to Madison Square Garden are Miami (FL), Old Dominion and Temple. NIT officials must be pleased with the wins of these last two schools because the fairly close location of both ODU and Temple plus the fact that ODU fans travel well means maybe reasonable crowds for the MSG games. While the NIT has been more "professionally" managed by the NCAA in recent years, this has not translated into box office success. In fact, if I recall correctly, the doubleheader that included URI vs. North Carolina back in 2010 attracted the biggest crowd of the last five years.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Obie, that doubleheader had at least 3 schools in it that helped attendance:

URI, UNC, and especially Dayton.

Think about this: If the NIT had made us a 2 seed instead of Stanford, we'd likely still be playing.

One's thing's for sure, we would have drawn more, a LOT more fans than Stanford did, for their 2nd and 3rd round games.

Also we would have more fans at MSG than Stanford. Again, a LOT more.

The NIT blew it. And it cost them money. Fuck them.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I hate the NIT.
It's illogical and run by blithering idiots.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hopefully we won't have to play in it again for a while.

The NIT probably thought they would get more people at Maples than the RC, due to the size difference.

Wrong. Stanford fans didn't give two shits about that tournament.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Can't wait for the NIT banner update ceremony next year!!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

rambone, yea I understand the doubleheader included four schools. They all do. Here's a complete picture to back up my comment with facts.

Code: Select all

NIT MSG Attendance

Year	 Participants   	     Attendance
		                   Semi Finals	Finals

2014	Florida State
       Clemson
       SMU
       Minnesota*	         7,193	   5,268

2013	BYU
       Maryland
       Iowa
       Baylor*	           10,009	   5,301

2012	Washington
       UMass
       Minnesota
       Stanford*	           7,574	  5,494

2011	Washington State
       Colorado
       Alabama
       Wichita State*	      6,082	  4,873

2010	Ole Miss
       Rhode Island
       North Carolina
       Dayton*	            11,689	  9,827

* NIT Champion
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I'm so pissed we aren't still playing.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

You know the tournament has flaws when nobody seems that disappointed when they're eliminated.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

OK, so the tournament has flaws. Do you get rid of the NIT and the other secondary tournaments given the flaws? Can you make changes to overcome the flaws? What would you do?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Would we be so down on the NIT if we were still alive?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It is what it is, a Booby Prize tourney -- it will never be any different b/c no matter how you skin it the majority of teams playing it wish they were in the real tournament.
I think making it more like the NCAA tourney in terms of seeding, having all the games on ESPN networks and having it culminate with a final four at MSG the world's most famous arena is a pretty good event. Any other tweaks/enhancements are like lipstick on a pig.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Yes, BAR, I like to be in the NCAA game more than the NIT, but unless you eliminate the NIT altogether why not try to make it better. The existence of NIT, the CBI and CIT indicates some people strongly feel there should be other tournaments. Several years ago the NCAA tried to run a runners-up tourney and after a few years, they gave up the idea and opted to take the NIT under their wings. Now with seedings, they believed they took it to a more professional level, but I feel they have failed at the box office.

If I ran the NIT here are some thoughts to re-juvenate the concept;

Option #1 - Instead of bringing 4 teams to MSG, bring 8 teams. Schedule the tournament in three successive days - an afternoon and evening double header on first day, semis the next day, and the finals the next day. By bringing more teams and fans and compacting the game schedule, more fans may be willing to attend games not involving their team and boost attendance for all games.

Option #2 - Much more complicated idea, but jazzier. Reduce the number of teams invited to the NIT to 24, seed all teams from 1 to 24, let the 1-16 seeds play each other in the first round, let the bottom 8 seeds play the 8 highest ranked teams (on RPI) eliminated from the NCAA tournament's first weekend. Using this year as an example, this would mean some eliminated NCAA teams would get a second chance - Iowa State, Cincy, Maryland, Kansas, Oregon, Arkansas, Villanova, Virginia, Butler, Iowa, Georgetown, LSU, PC, etc.

Another version would be to keep a 32 team NIT, and after the first round has eliminated 16 teams, pair the remaining 16 teams with 16 of the 32 teams eliminated from the first weekend play of the NCAA. More variants of this concept can be developed, etc..
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Of course we'd feel better if we were still playing. But, as BAR said, it is what it is. Look, I'm glad we have this tournament. I'm also glad we got to play in it.
How about having regional sites where each team plays on the same floor with the winners going to MSG? I just don't know how feasible that is.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ramfan85 wrote: How about having regional sites where each team plays on the same floor with the winners going to MSG? I just don't know how feasible that is.
The idea of using home courts is to beef up attendance. What if Rider were playing BU at the Dunk in the NIT? Would you attend? (I'm asking the general "you" not you, specifically, RamFan.)
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I say eliminate the NIT and make the NCAA tourney 96 teams.

Give the top 32 a bye, and the other 64 play each other in the first round. Then reseed the remaining 32, who will then play the top 32.

Would add a round] to the tourney, which would be nice. Play that round when the First Four would have played, or extend the tourney a few more days.

They ought to eliminate the conference tourneys too, but that will never happen. Too much money to be made.

Maybe it's a wacky idea, but it's been thought of before. Actually, wasn't it done when the tourney was 48 teams?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Obes, that 2nd option is similar to how Champions League in European soccer is run. Champions League is the best of the best club teams from each European country - consider that the NCAAs. They also have the Europa League - which is a combo of teams just below those that qualify for Champions League and the first teams that get knocked out of Champions League. Its a bit complicated and adds a lot of games to a teams schedule, but it works out well so the Europa League while not as popular as CL still has significant cache for the winner.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Just give everyone a trophy and say their great. It's the right thing to do.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Thanks, BAR, for the serious response to some thoughts on how to improve the NIT. With a tourney that combines some eliminated NCAA teams plus teams that thought they should have made the NCAA, you have setting that will get the fan juices flowing and produce some intense games much like you describe in Europe soccer
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

I kind of think the NIT is fine as-is. It's the clear #2 postseason tournament, and depending on a program's stature and how they finished the season, they're either thrilled, lukewarm or pissed to be in it. That's going to be the biggest factor when it comes to attendance. If you want to fudge around the edges, by increasing or decreasing the bracket, fine, but I don't think any of it will have a big effect on the gate.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Temple leads Miami at the half, 30-25

Why does it seem like Rhody's last game was months ago?
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ace wrote:
Why does it seem like Rhody's last game was months ago?
The 48 hours of angst over Dan's plans seemed like 48 days.
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NIT Semis at MSG Tuesday 03-31-15

Stanford 67 Old Dominion 60
Miami 60 Temple 57

NIT Championship at MSg Thursday 04-02-15
Stanford vs Miami
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Watched parts of both games and lamented that URI was there because if they were, I would have arranged my schedule to be in NYC for the event.

But last night brought back memories of my attendance at the 2010 NIT semis when URI played a memorable game versus North Carolina. The game was highlighted with ironman performances by Cothran, Delroy, and Lamonte, 0-6 trey shooting by Akeem Richmond, and the non call on Lamonte's final burst to the hoop. And talk about irony, Steve Lavin had just been named as head coach at St. John's and, by sheer coincidence, was seated just a few rows in front of me as a steady stream of well wishers came up to him throughout the game to extend their congratulations. There was lots of sports celebrities there and it was the biggest NIT crowd in several years including a great turnout of URI fans.
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Obadiah wrote:Watched parts of both games and lamented that URI was there because if they were, I would have arranged my schedule to be in NYC for the event.

But last night brought back memories of my attendance at the 2010 NIT semis when URI played a memorable game versus North Carolina. The game was highlighted with ironman performances by Cothran, Delroy, and Lamonte, 0-6 trey shooting by Akeem Richmond, and the non call on Lamonte's final burst to the hoop. And talk about irony, Steve Lavin had just been named as head coach at St. John's and, by sheer coincidence, was seated just a few rows in front of me as a steady stream of well wishers came up to him throughout the game to extend their congratulations. There was lots of sports celebrities there and it was the biggest NIT crowd in several years including a great turnout of URI fans.
Ahhh yes. the MSG trip was a great time (besides the end result).

I'll never forget driving back to RI after that game as the historic floods descended. We were racing home in fear they were going to close 95 and drove by the Warwick Mall completely underwater with National Guard trucks everywhere...it was some Twilight Zone type shit.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yep, and freakin' Eli Manning was there with his lady and her friend and some other big guys about 30 feet to my left. Neil and Matt from KeaneyBlue gave me a wonderful surprise gift of their extra courtside ticket when I saw them at will-call. A very generous thing given that the extra ticket was supposed to be for Neil's father who, I believe, saw the Shot Heart Round the World many NIT's ago. The flood kept him at home tending to his house, if I remember correctly.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

I took the bus from URI since I was a student at the time, I got to sit first row baseline at MSG and was probably about 10 feet from Eli. On the ride home we convinced the bus to stop and McDonald's on 95. The look when 50 people walked into McDonald's at 1:45am was priceless. We got back to campus around 3:30am and I found out the next morning they closed the bridge near campus about 20 minutes after we crossed it because they were afraid of it collapsing.
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Wayne
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Wayne »

I remember heading to that game back in 2010. We're lucky we made it over there with those floods. I can recall a stretch of 95 on near the CT/RI line that was nearly under water. Me and a few friends drove to New Haven and took the train in from there. I can remember seeing Mel Kiper Jr. at the New Haven station... one of my friends shouted "Yo, Mel!" He turned around and waved. Good times over there and in NYC.

I can also recall the train ride back to New Haven, with a few fans about 10 years older than I am recalling the glory days of the late 90's. Someone (probably on this board, with my luck) told a story about how he went to a road game vs. Temple, tore down a sign, angered a Temple fan, then got cross-kicked and fell about 10 rows down only to find himself looking up at Bill Cosby. What I'd give to be born 10-12 years earlier....
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Wayne wrote:I remember heading to that game back in 2010. We're lucky we made it over there with those floods. I can recall a stretch of 95 on near the CT/RI line that was nearly under water.
Oh man, I had the same issue. I was trying to meet up with a buddy at the park and ride in Pawcatuck, coming from Charlestown, and I had to divert five or six times because of flooded roads that morning. We made it out of the state just as they were closing some roads and 95 to all traffic. My employers at the time were also pissed because I wouldn't budge off my scheduled vacation day because they wanted a fifth person to throw at flood coverage for the paper.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yep, the CT/RI line on 95 was down to barely one lane Southbound as that small stream north of the highway was swollen and coming up onto the slow speed lane. Once I was on 95 in CT there weren't any problems. Drove to Harlem and parked my car (my brother lived there at the time) and took the subway down to MSG. After the game I slept at my brothers and woke up at 6 and drove straight to work, arriving around 9am in West Kingston. By then, 138 West of Kingston was open again in the Usqupaugh area.
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

It was a lot of fun ATP, except for a number of missed free throws. Yes, my 91 year old dad was at the old, old MSG to watch Ernie make "the shot".
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Stanford wins the NIT 66-64 in OT over Miami.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

They won on a BS foul call. Randell jumps into defender with 3.9 seconds to go when they were down by 1.
“We will be good when we are good.”
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

and Miami tied it in regulation on a bad foul call
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

twisted3829 wrote:I took the bus from URI since I was a student at the time, I got to sit first row baseline at MSG and was probably about 10 feet from Eli. On the ride home we convinced the bus to stop and McDonald's on 95. The look when 50 people walked into McDonald's at 1:45am was priceless. We got back to campus around 3:30am and I found out the next morning they closed the bridge near campus about 20 minutes after we crossed it because they were afraid of it collapsing.
I was on the non student bus. that was quite the eventful trip.

We came out of the bar in the Empire State Bldg from the alumni event and the sidewalk was closed because some jumped off the top and that was where they went splat.

and the floods

and our driver was on a mission to get home. Literally went door 2 door from MSG to campus in 2 hours
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Scary. Bus averaged 80mph in middle of wet rainy night?