Jordan Hare's Roster Status: Back Out Again

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Smokinjimit
ARD

Re: Jordan Hare's Roster Status?

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Slow your roll Hal.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

My brother is in a class with Big O and asked if Jordan was coming back and the answer was yes. Just in case anyone wanted more reassurance
GO RAMS
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

That's good news, any time frame?
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Said big O wasn't sure but I'm sure the coaches know more than the players. Said for personal reason so no details there either
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I get the feeling that Hare WANTS to come back. Reading between the lines one has to wonder if Hurley thinks his grades might prevent that or he is tired of and worried about all the drama and him not being able to be 100% committed.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Not sure it's as much an academic problem as a chemistry disruption
problem.
Although, missing weeks or months of school will put him behind the 8 ball
regardless of past grades.
Main question is, will this continue to be more of the same as long as he's at URI?
I think there's got to be a limit to the patience of the program.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

They stated he's still enrolled so I wonder if they've arranged with his profs where's he's doing work in Michigan
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I think he might have been able to meet the drop classes deadline, in which case,and if ture, i am guessing no effect on academic status or apr
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

looks like he'll be back for 2nd semester, and no APR hit....good news

when he comes back he'll be playing limited minutes for sure, but his defense will help. More inside depth can't hurt.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

How do you know for sure? Any word on a possible red shirt situation?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

A redshirt year does not match up with him staying at Rhode Island.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Isn't a red shirt due to injury? Not the case here. Anyway, if this becomes an ongoing problem, it won't help much. Just getting thru the next 3 years looks like it will be a struggle for Hare.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rambone 78 wrote:Isn't a red shirt due to injury? Not the case here. Anyway, if this becomes an ongoing problem, it won't help much. Just getting thru the next 3 years looks like it will be a struggle for Hare.
Redshirts can be given for personal reasons not having to do with physical injury. But like I said, a redshirt year does not match up with him staying at Rhode Island.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Only if his family problems would be over after this leave. Seriously doubt that, however.

Still, some Hare is better than no Hare.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Hear, hear!!!!!!!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would be ok if he comes back 2nd semester, we do need athletic bigs
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote:They stated he's still enrolled so I wonder if they've arranged with his profs where's he's doing work in Michigan
Many courses these days are on line. Even students living on campus in college can take On Line Courses and never have to physically show up at class. Not saying Jordan already had on line courses but it is much easier to do this type of thing in today's world.
Plenty of kids get their Master's Degrees from Major Universities with the entire degree on line.
Not sure what Jordan is majoring in or if he has selected a major yet.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

We go over the red-shirt vs medical hardship waiver thing every year on this board. The term "red-shirt" is used commonly to cover both situations (personal issues vs injuries mid-season).

However, a redshirt can only happen when a player does not play even one minute of one game in a season. So Hare can easily use a redshirt as long as he doesn't play 1 minute this year.

A medical hardship waiver can be used when an injury prevents the player from competing in most games/events in a season.

Where's 72 to explain it to us? Probably should just search this site to find the explanation from last year.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

ramster wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:They stated he's still enrolled so I wonder if they've arranged with his profs where's he's doing work in Michigan
Many courses these days are on line. Even students living on campus in college can take On Line Courses and never have to physically show up at class. Not saying Jordan already had on line courses but it is much easier to do this type of thing in today's world.
Plenty of kids get their Master's Degrees from Major Universities with the entire degree on line.
Not sure what Jordan is majoring in or if he has selected a major yet.
It's not unusual in the case of a family emergency -- death of a parent, for instance -- where professors will allow students to keep up with classwork while missing classes. My guess is the team's academic advisor has worked this out for Hare. Otherwise, it would be nearly impossible for him to make up all the work later.
And if he keeps up with the work this semester and never returns to the team, that doesn't hurt the APR as much.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I am thinking that Hare may be better off taking the year off to get his life in order and come back with 3 years of eligibility remaining. Big men mature late.
NCAAs or Bust!
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

If Hare leaves for a year he will never come back in my opinion.....if he stays with his academic courses and practices and becomes useful second semester this would be best for our team.........I can't state what would be best for the young man and his real life situation because I don't know enough about it to make a rational recommendation....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

I hope he comes back, just for his academic/future sake. I can't imagine stopping classes for a while then jumping back and trying to focus.

Plus we could certainly use the spark he'd bring.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

He is gone. The best we can hope is he completes this semester for the team's APR sake. That's the staff's focus now.
Wish him well, glad I did not have a kid in college and he/she lived 1000 miles away.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Ramtastico wrote:He is gone. The best we can hope is he completes this semester for the team's APR sake. That's the staff's focus now.
Wish him well, glad I did not have a kid in college and he/she lived 1000 miles away.
So, you're saying he's not coming back?
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Never say never, but can't see it happening except to possibly finish up semester work.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I think the recruiting of a big who will be a junior next year speaks volumes
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

it was originally stated that he would remain a full time student, so why question it
GO RAMS
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

I don't understand those that wish to make definitive statements about his status and present nothing to back up those statements
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

you don't replace a 6'10 center with a 6'7 forward
GO RAMS
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Sorry, can't disclose where I got it. He could change his mind but the people that are involved are now trying to get him to finish courses. Not in bball plans anymore.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

That was the feeling I got two weeks ago at The Alpine event, but then Hare tweeted something about being
reunited with his teammates.
The soap opera without end.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Let's just hope he finishes this semester's work, and transfers somewhere close to home. I'm sure the staff will help him out in that regard.

In the short run, the loss of Hare hurts, in the long run [next year and beyond] not so much, with Watson and possibly others coming in.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

But I thought a player transferring would be very bad for us too?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think it matters based on what happens after they transfer?

If they enroll elsewhere, it's OK, if they quit school entirely it's bad? Not sure.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

You know, it's a good thing Calhoun is gone. He had three McD All Americans transferring out of UConn on a yearly basis.

UConn would never see the light of day under these new rules. Now, we are worried about one player leaving.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I still want him back
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Rhodymob05 wrote:you don't replace a 6'10 center with a 6'7 forward
My understanding is Watson will take Hare's scholarship next semester and URI is looking to use 2 other scholarships on a guard and a wing.
If Hare leaves in good academic standing that softens the blow on APR.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Makes sense Iggy.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:
My understanding is Watson will take Hare's scholarship next semester and URI is looking to use 2 other scholarships on a guard and a wing.
So, Watson will be here in January. Does he play this year? Is he eligible to play this year?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Watson will enroll in January and play next year.
He will have two years eligibility.
The APR is still a big deal,especially if people leaving
didn't complete their classroom work.
It's why they wanted Outerbridge to graduate.
It's a juggling act. I'll be glad when we're in the clear,
and can take chances like many other programs do.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:
Good info, Iggy. Thanks for clarifying.

So, everyone is mentioning APR. Does the school take a hit even if Hare completes all his academic obligations this semester and chooses to withdraw/transfer from school? I would think if he transfers to another institution and all academics are in good standing (no loss of eligibility, other than normal transfer year-in-residence), URI would take no APR hit.

I wish there was a great APR explanation somewhere. I admit, I haven't really looked, but haven't seen one either.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Does anyone understand the APR? It's more complicated than
Obamacare.
Is there an NCAA document that lays out the guidelines?
I've heard so many different versions of what it deals with, like rolling 4 year averages,
but how that affects players coming and going, seems a mystery.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rodfromcranston wrote:Does anyone understand the APR? It's more complicated than
Obamacare.
Is there an NCAA document that lays out the guidelines?
I've heard so many different versions of what it deals with, like rolling 4 year averages,
but how that affects players coming and going, seems a mystery.
It's not too bad. Every player gets a point for being eligible and being in school. Per academic term. So, if you have 13 scholarship players, you would have 26 points per semester available. Say one leaves school early while academically eligible and one leaves school while being academically ineligible, you would lose a total of three points. 23/26 or 884 (not good) would be your APR for that term. They average all of your APRs over four years to get your total APR score.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

From wikipedia

"The NCAA does adjust APR, on a student-by-student basis, in two circumstances. One exception that can be made, is for student-athletes who leave prior to graduation, while in good academic standing, to pursue a professional career. Another is for student-athletes who transfer to another school while meeting minimum academic requirements and student-athletes who return to graduate at a later date. Compiling college athletes’graduation rates stemmed partly from press coverage that 76 to 92 percent of professional athletes lacked college degrees and from revelations that some were functionally illiterate.[14] In the 2010–11 cycle, the NCAA granted nearly 700 APR adjustments in the latter category, out of a total of over 6,400 Division I teams."
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Also from the NCAA website:

"Do student-athletes who leave school early to go pro hurt their teams’ APR? If a student-athlete is in good academic standing and leaves school early to pursue a professional career, the team is not penalized with a loss of APR points. But if a student-athlete in poor academic standing leaves early, his or her team loses two points, making it harder for the team’s APR to recover."

Per the last post one would assume this also applies to transfers, they just need to be in good academic standing when they transfer.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

OK, so if Hare leaves and doesn't transfer, we take a hit.
If he's not in good standing, we take a bigger hit.
Sounds like we have cause to be concerned.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The difference between him being academically OK and not, is huge. Losing one point is far better than losing three.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote:The difference between him being academically OK and not, is huge. Losing one point is far better than losing three.
It might have been better if he left over the summer? Not exactly sure how that works but I imagine taking incompletes or fails and then leaving would not be great whereas I am assuming he was in good standing after the spring semester. Water under the bridge, I guess.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Wait, why does it matter if he transfers or not? I may be a little slow this morning.

I was thinking if Hare were to complete his academic responsibilities this semester and leave school, isn't that his choice? Can schools hold a student at school against their will if they decide to leave following the successful completion of a semester? In this case, if Hare finished all his Fall classes OK, then left and did not enroll in school ever again due to personal issues, why would URI be penalized?

There's only so much URI is legally allowed to do to help with "personal issues". They can only do so much while they are enrolled and in class.

To me, the penalties come when the following happens:

1) student remains enrolled, but performs poorly in class and becomes ineligible to play (loss of a point)
2) student leaves school without completing semester's academic requirements, thus in "bad-standing" (loss of point which would also combine with #1 above for total of 2pts lost, since you would lose eligibility)
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Not sure why they did it that way but that's the way the rule is.