Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Unread post by bigappleram »

I don’t think anyone is ridiculing it’s moreso that you have said the same thing 1,357 times and we get it. What does debating the merits or lack thereof of masking policies on the Rhody basketball message board do to change said mandates…nothing.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago I don’t think anyone is ridiculing it’s moreso that you have said the same thing 1,357 times and we get it. What does debating the merits or lack thereof of masking policies on the Rhody basketball message board do to change said mandates…nothing.
So...what are your thoughts on it, other than to just comply? Do you agree with what's in place? or are you saying that you agree with everything I've said about it?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago

I wondered why the cheerleaders couldn't remove their masks while on the floor? The players can.
Waiting for NYG's response......'science'.
You're starting to sound like a sap....
Check the mirror, buddy.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Latest 7 day average New Cases by State from CDC

Lowest 8 states daily cases per 100,000
Florida 51
Hawaii 56
Georgia 66
Louisiana 66
Mississippi 68
Connecticut 70
Texas 79
Maryland 79

Highest 8 states daily cases per 100,000
Alaska 563
North Dakota 455
New Hampshire 446
Montana 440
Wyoming 438
Colorado 347
Minnesota 345
New Mexico 340

Rhode Island is 150
Delaware is 182

Dr Fauci had said before season that college football would be superspreader events but lowest states are where football is biggest

Interesting that New Hampshire is 6 times worse than Connecticut

Rhode Island is 3 times worse than Florida, double Connecticut

When Florida was bad the media was rampant with stories. When Florida is the lowest in the US nobody knows but the crickets.

ECAFF0D2-6FCA-4581-830F-03D039FFD22B.png
F28D45C6-E32F-47BF-BF27-E13F88BAC95E.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Latest 7 day average New Cases by State from CDC

Florida 51
Hawaii 56
Georgia 66
Louisiana 66
Mississippi 68
Connecticut 70
Texas 79
Maryland 79

Alaska 563
North Dakota 455
New Hampshire 446
Montana 440
Wyoming 438
Colorado 347
Minnesota 345
New Mexico 340

Rhode Island is 150
Delaware is 182

Dr Fauci had said before season that college football would be superspreader events but lowest states are where football is biggest

When Florida was bad the media was rampant with stories. When Florida is the lowest in the US nobody knows but the crickets.

And you trust the numbers that Florida is reporting? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Florida 51
Hawaii 56
Georgia 66
Louisiana 66
Mississippi 68
Connecticut 70
Texas 79
Maryland 79

Alaska 563
North Dakota 455
New Hampshire 446
Montana 440
Wyoming 438
Colorado 347
Minnesota 345
New Mexico 340

Rhode Island is 150
Delaware is 182

And you trust the numbers that Florida is reporting? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just like you believed the Florida numbers when they were bad.

Point is CNN, CNBS, NY Times etc we’re all over Florida when they were bad, now nothing at all, silence
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Florida 51
Hawaii 56
Georgia 66
Louisiana 66
Mississippi 68
Connecticut 70
Texas 79
Maryland 79

Alaska 563
North Dakota 455
New Hampshire 446
Montana 440
Wyoming 438
Colorado 347
Minnesota 345
New Mexico 340

Rhode Island is 150
Delaware is 182

Point is CNN, CNBS, NY Times etc we’re all over Florida when they were bad, now nothing at all, silence
C'mon Ramster. Florida has been reporting zero deaths every day for quite a while now. The ONLY state. You really believe that????
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

C'mon Ramster. Florida has been reporting zero deaths every day for quite a while now. The ONLY state. You really believe that????
Data I’m posting is new cases per 100,000 for each state per day, running average of 7 days published by the CDC.

Soon to be in Daytona and Ft Myers - so thought it of interest.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Data I’m posting is new cases per 100,000 for each state per day, running average of 7 days published by the CDC.

Well, you're safe, because obviously Florida has found the miracle cure. :lol:
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Just looking at yesterday's numbers and reported state-by-state deaths. 2 states border Florida. Georgia had 90 deaths. Alabama had 52. Florida had 0. Tell me which of these 3 states you believe or which ones you don't believe. These reported numbers have looked like this EVERY day for over a months. As soon as you cross the state line into Florida, you're good! The US is averaging around 1300 deaths a day, yet in Florida, nobody dies. We should all move there!!! It's a miracle!!!!!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Just looking at yesterday's numbers and reported state-by-state deaths. 2 states border Florida. Georgia had 90 deaths. Alabama had 52. Florida had 0. Tell me which of these 3 states you believe or which ones you don't believe. These reported numbers have looked like this EVERY day for over a months. As soon as you cross the state line into Florida, you're good! The US is averaging around 1300 deaths a day, yet in Florida, nobody dies. We should all move there!!! It's a miracle!!!!!
You also have to remember that the state is run by one of Trump's top ball lickers.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yes it's a fact Florida cases and deaths are way down. Just use Google.

They have just backlogged the deaths. Just reported 664 deaths for November 5th, which would be the total deaths accumulated from the last time they reported.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

Yes it's a fact Florida cases and deaths are way down. Just use Google.

They have just backlogged the deaths. Just reported 664 deaths for November 5th, which would be the total deaths accumulated from the last time they reported.
I know what Florida is doing. I'm not going to get into an argument about it. It's useless.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

You also have to remember that the state is run by one of Trump's top ball lickers.
Ah, yes...'Trump!"...living on in people's heads rent-free forever
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago I don’t think anyone is ridiculing it’s moreso that you have said the same thing 1,357 times and we get it. What does debating the merits or lack thereof of masking policies on the Rhody basketball message board do to change said mandates…nothing.
Politicians take polls if everyone joined him you never know. I do not mind anyone venting their frustrations with this nonsense policy. You attend a large gathering indoors you are taking a risk regardless of masks. Even if I did not agree with him it would not bother me. Long time fans have given up something they really enjoyed in the past.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The players and the program are all that suffer from any fans from an already small base that decide they won’t go if they have to wear a mask. I don’t think that will do anything to effect policy though I do believe that as case counts continue to fall eventually the mask requirement will go away again. I have never refuted the substance of NYGs (and others) beef that there are protocols that are hogwash and shall I say anti science. Just the fact that he’s said it 1,000 times in a row has gotten to be a bit much.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The only heads he is in are the cowards in his own party, like Desantis, who bow to his every wish because they are scared to death that he can ruin their careers.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

The only heads he is in are the cowards in his own party, like Desantis, who bow to his every wish because they are scared to death that he can ruin their careers.
Doesn't sound like it...
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago
Politicians take polls if everyone joined him you never know. I do not mind anyone venting their frustrations with this nonsense policy. You attend a large gathering indoors you are taking a risk regardless of masks. Even if I did not agree with him it would not bother me. Long time fans have given up something they really enjoyed in the past.
Exactly...I already miss going to the games. For those that think it's no big deal to strap on a mask to watch a game...enjoy. I'd much rather be at the games, but, as you note... wearing a mask bothers me enough to have to give up something that I used to really enjoy...
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….fwiw…..PC Hockey last nite, 90-10, 90% maskless, even a providence cop…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Yes I have given up my season tix. I'm vaxxed and refuse to wear a face mask. My daughter is vaxxed and has to wear one in school. Still fighting that nonsense. Next time you go out, put your mask on for 8 hours. K? That's how long my daughter has to wear one. Sorry, not sorry. Not targeting you Dean at all, just venting off of your post.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Provided there's not a big spike in cases over Thanksgiving/Christmas (a big IF), I could see the mandate being lifted in Jan/Feb of 2022. That's the way the numbers are trending right now, anyway.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Yes I have given up my season tix. I'm vaxxed and refuse to wear a face mask. My daughter is vaxxed and has to wear one in school. Still fighting that nonsense. Next time you go out, put your mask on for 8 hours. K? That's how long my daughter has to wear one. Sorry, not sorry. Not targeting you Dean at all, just venting off of your post.
My daughter wears one for 12 hours, helping people who are sick.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Folks, you can watch a Big Ten volleyball game this fall on the Big Ten Network...and you'll see everyone wearing a mask in the stands. And I'm sure some folks aren't happy about it. But that's the deal. Suck it up. It's not about you. Putting a mask on is not a heavy lift, geez.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Let's just hope the numbers stay down over the winter.

In the UK cases are spiking again among the unvaxxed. They are acting like the virus is gone....wrong.

Fortunately CT and RI are about 90% vaxxed....but still over 20 states are way below that.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Where are you all seeing the vax percentage at 90? Three different sites say 78% or 79%.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago

Folks, you can watch a Big Ten volleyball game this fall on the Big Ten Network...and you'll see everyone wearing a mask in the stands. And I'm sure some folks aren't happy about it. But that's the deal. Suck it up. It's not about you. Putting a mask on is not a heavy lift, geez.
I kinda think if it's about where one wants to spend their entertainment dollar...it is about them. Isn't it?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago Where are you all seeing the vax percentage at 90? Three different sites say 78% or 79%.
The 90% is of those who are eligibile (now 5 and up) The 78-79% is for the total population of the state.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Straight from the RI Governors CrushCovidRI site:

Partially Vaccinated
78.7% of total RI population
91.6% of 18 years and up

Fully Vaccinated
71.6% of total RI population
83.3% of 18 years and up

72EF0310-DB72-4943-8C78-8B67917D7C68.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Looks like you have the percentages between fully and partially reversed.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Straight from the RI Governors CrushCovidRI site:

78.7% fully vaccinated of total RI population

91.6% fully vaccinated of 18 years and up

71.6% partially vaccinated of total RI population

83.3% partially vaccinated of 18 years and up

Those that think this matters...have been sold a bill of goods.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RAM67 wrote: 2 years ago Looks like you have the percentages between fully and partially reversed.
Thanks, fixed it. Good catch.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Just stop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Just stop.

If you think those numbers in any way make a difference in terms of what's required, that means... there's a number that makes a difference...the changing point...what is it? There isn't one. You know it, too.

Special bonus for you:. Trump
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It's hard to say there isn't one when A.) Connecticut just last week started relaxing previous put in place mask mandates in public settings and B.) I went to a sold out NBA Playoff game 8 months ago without a mask. There is some level of data that is informing decisions with some politicians and municipalities. I can't say what it is but to say its all arbitrary is being purposefully obtuse.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago It's hard to say there isn't one when A.) Connecticut just last week started relaxing previous put in place mask mandates in public settings and B.) I went to a sold out NBA Playoff game 8 months ago without a mask. There is some level of data that is informing decisions with some politicians and municipalities. I can't say what it is but to say its all arbitrary is being purposefully obtuse.
The points that you reference seem to reinforce the arbitrary-ness.... Just like masks at the Ry, but not at the dunk. Arbitrary. To say that isn't arbitrary, is obtuser....
theblueram
Frank Keaney

You are being facetious Billyboy. That is a career choice. I carried an A-4 and a Beretta for 4 years protecting this country. Should everyone join the military to defend the country?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago It's hard to say there isn't one when A.) Connecticut just last week started relaxing previous put in place mask mandates in public settings and B.) I went to a sold out NBA Playoff game 8 months ago without a mask. There is some level of data that is informing decisions with some politicians and municipalities. I can't say what it is but to say its all arbitrary is being purposefully obtuse.
The points that you reference seem to reinforce the arbitrary-ness.... Just like masks at the Ry, but not at the dunk. Arbitrary. To say that isn't arbitrary, is obtuser....
I assume you have seen the Covid heat map tracking cases per 100,000 at Covidtracker.org. I assume when cases fall below a certain threshold the senior public health official turns to the governor and says you can relax mandates. Policies at RC are not arbitrary they are being dictated by the state. I am not sure what purview the state has over the Dunk when a tenant (PC) is renting it for the night. You do realize the right response to a global pandemic is probably somewhere in between no mandates and you have to wear 3 masks, right?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

You are being facetious Billyboy. That is a career choice. I carried an A-4 and a Beretta for 4 years protecting this country. Should everyone join the military to defend the country?
Yes, it was a career choice, because she has always loved helping people, even when she was a little girl. And as a nurse in a hospital, she knew she was going to see a lot of death. But she never imagined it to be at this level. It is mentally destroying her. Tons of nurses are leaving the field, so hospitals are short staffed. She's only 25 and she's hanging in there for now, but it's really tough, because she cares so much about her patients. It's tough for a dad to see your daughter like that.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Yes, it was a career choice, because she has always loved helping people, even when she was a little girl. And as a nurse in a hospital, she knew she was going to see a lot of death. But she never imagined it to be at this level. It is mentally destroying her. Tons of nurses are leaving the field, so hospitals are short staffed. She's only 25 and she's hanging in there for now, but it's really tough, because she cares so much about her patients. It's tough for a dad to see your daughter like that.
Hey Billy, I feel for you. We are all dealing with our own life issues during this. May we come out on the other side stronger and more friendly is all I ask for.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
I assume you have seen the Covid heat map tracking cases per 100,000 at Covidtracker.org. I assume when cases fall below a certain threshold the senior public health official turns to the governor and says you can relax mandates. Policies at RC are not arbitrary they are being dictated by the state. I am not sure what purview the state has over the Dunk when a tenant (PC) is renting it for the night. You do realize the right response to a global pandemic is probably somewhere in between no mandates and you have to wear 3 masks, right?
Right...but you do realize what we have now IS totally arbitrary, right? You don't seem to want to call it that, but you're providing that for a description when you say there are different policies for events in the same place...you're really just doubling down on the arbitrariness (and silliness of it all)....you realize that, right?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The rules at URI govern any event over 250 people. As they were explained to me they are not arbitrary and they are applied at any on campus event that exceeds that capacity. Pretty black and white.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago The rules at URI govern any event over 250 people. As they were explained to me they are not arbitrary and they are applied at any on campus event that exceeds that capacity. Pretty black and white.
Dude... You're purposely being silly, aren't you? Why isn't the 250....200? Or 300? (Because it's arbitrary). The difference b/w the Ryan Center and dunk rules....yeah, made by different people...that set their own (arbitrary) rules.

That's kinda what arbitrary is...when different people apply different rules to similar situations...but, ok, I'm the one that's obtuse...
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

As we march towards 50 pages in this thread, I'm starting to feel like there's a couple of posters who are against mask mandates....

- Alfred E. Neuman
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago The rules at URI govern any event over 250 people. As they were explained to me they are not arbitrary and they are applied at any on campus event that exceeds that capacity. Pretty black and white.
Dude... You're purposely being silly, aren't you? Why isn't the 250....200? Or 300? (Because it's arbitrary). The difference b/w the Ryan Center and dunk rules....yeah, made by different people...that set their own (arbitrary) rules.

That's kinda what arbitrary is...when different people apply different rules to similar situations...but, ok, I'm the one that's obtuse...
Is 55 an arbitrary speed limit? I assume there is some CDC guidance behind the number but honestly didn’t do the research to find that out bc why would I. You have the right to take your ball and go home until the “arbitrary” rules are modified but only the players and program are (negatively) impacted by that. Those stupid rules won’t be impacted in any way.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

No masks required at Mohegan Arena for upcoming games, at least for now.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago No masks required at Mohegan Arena for upcoming games, at least for now.
episteme
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
BAR, the thresholds for you - from the CDC website.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Thanks for the grid. I get the Rhode Map email from the Globe and they reference the rate and that it's "high" (@ 176.3), but hadn't idea of the rate classes. I really can't see getting even down to the 'subsantial' rate in our lifetimes. Less than 100 out of 100,000? Less than one person out of every thousand?