12/13 | UMass Lowell | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: 12/13 | UMass Lowell | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by reef »

Big win big win

What a play Arch drew up for Bray coast to coast to tie it

22-26 line that will win us a lot of games

They didn’t show replay looks like they bailed Ish out on that foul with 6.7 left but we will take it !!
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Very nice comeback win . Some very good clutch ft shooting all night . Leggett came up huge with the 3 and final two fts. Still too many tos as usual
and poor one on one defense or this game could have been much easier , but we'll take it against a decent, experienced ball club. The team is beginning to show signs of growth . Nice coaching job Archie as well . Carey is making a difference as a guy who can create his own shots.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

What a magnificent win! Now they know they can win clutch so that will build their confidence. A signature win and the most exciting game in years!
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Loved seeing Archie whipping up the crowd.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The turnaround has started...
Keep it up and maybe we will be pretty good by season's end!
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago What a magnificent win! Now they know they can win clutch so that will build their confidence. A signature win and the most exciting game in years!
Enjoy it. But a "signature win?" Against UMASS-Lowell? Seriously? Tap the brakes on the hyperbole. Any win is a good win for this team and the program at this point.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Some clips of Bray draining 3s and the best play of the year to bring us into OT… Let’s go!!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hey we are getting plenty of experience playing close games. And that can only help going forward especially when you are starting to win them.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

When Phat went out hurt, I thought that was going to do us in. But, the team fought back again and again. Just an excellent effort.

Like others have said…a confidence building win. Really happy for the team and staff that they are enjoying the fruit from their hard work.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Just got back - we were in 105. Poor Archie, had NO voice and it was actually hilarious the poor guy trying to yell out stuff to the team.

Nice win, confidence builder. No quit.
Mobley was fouled.
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

I think a turning point was when we decided to double down when the ball went in the post. Abdul Kareem was killing us for a good stretch.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago
PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago What a magnificent win! Now they know they can win clutch so that will build their confidence. A signature win and the most exciting game in years!
Enjoy it. But a "signature win?" Against UMASS-Lowell? Seriously? Tap the brakes on the hyperbole. Any win is a good win for this team and the program at this point.
UMASS Lowell came into the game 11-1 with wins against Brown and UMass Amherst. They are no cupcake.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Haven’t read a goddamn thing, and we got the W, but having Thomas in over a Freeman those last 5 minutes until the end is puzzling to say the least.

Freeman didn’t even look happy after his buzzer beater.

It worked out in the end obviously, but everyone here was probably saying the same thing as we were watching in real time.

Oh, and who went coast to coast to tie the game? Oh yea Freeman did.
Go Rhody
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago I would love to have Weston come in, and we actually run a set play where he can do his thing in the mid-range. He's good at getting to the rim and drawing contact. We are so bad on offense that I don't understand how a kid with a lot of nice tools gets no minutes. If he misses shots and turns it over, it doesn't matter because we are already doing that. I"d rather see our young guys play sloppy basketball over what I just watched that half.
. Agree . Maybe he is still injured. When I watched him running, it was less than fluid.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Keeping on my theme, huge growth tonite, 22-26 from the line ver significant…….Go Rhody
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

That's the best I've felt walking out of the RC in quite a while. Fun seeing the kids celebrate and enjoying a nice win.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

An absolute culture win.

No one is saying this is a blue blood or a win that gets you an at large. In fact it’s a Q3. But it matters. This year isn’t about wins or losses it’s about building a culture of guys who believe they can win. And that’s what they did tonight.

Most of that game was some of the most putrid basketball I’ve ever seen. Didn’t matter we won.

Changed defense away from the packline to man. Couldn’t rebound. Everyone was afraid to shoot. Doesn’t matter we won.

Down 12. Looked lifeless late in the second. Doesn’t matter we won.

None of the details matter when you find a way to grind a game out you had no business winning. Doesn’t matter who the opponent is. But this is how you build a culture.

The fans in the building aren’t going to remember most of the stink that game was. They’re going to remember Bray going coast to coast, Carey stealing the ball, and Ish with ice water.

My 3 year old is going to remember how cool that was and who cares what else. Winning is fun.

Waxing poetic about beating UML? You’re God damn right. Build the culture Archie!
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

No doubt in my mind Rhody can compete in the A10 this year. Mixing Harris in is going to help. Growing confidence shooting the ball will help too.

Clearly if commitment to play defense is lacking Miller is going to sit the player down to think it over.

Last successful coach here operated the same way if I recall correctly…

Go Rhody
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The most Rhody thing ever is this account trolling our coach after basically every game. This is why we can’t have nice things.

ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Just got home. Thought for sure my only comment was going to be brutal!! But last 15 minutes I finally got some entertainment value from this team. Good comeback with everyone contributing at one time or another. Finally a little life in the Ryan center..overcame the injury to Bilau.. great effort.. hopefully he is not out long because we are thin with the bigs both figuratively and in real life. We are going to need some major improvement from samb and tchikou moving forward. Bilau also if healthy. All 3 are playing real tentatively on both ends of the floor. Hopefully that improves. Not a great crowd but it sure can get loud if the team gives you a reason to be loud. As my wife always says. I really like to win. Me too..
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago The most Rhody thing ever is this account trolling our coach after basically every game. This is why we can’t have nice things.

I put it in the RV thread. Couple guys on Twitter nailed it though - he’s literally begging for Bray to be treated like Fatts or the Mitchell’s…even though it’s clear he responds to tough love.

Bray looks like shit, gets benched a game, comes back a new man and looks like a player. Vault gives Archie no credit and somehow takes that as Bray was doing it all along?

The end of this game Bray didn’t want to play defense. Archie takes him out. Still recognizes the moment, draws up a play to give Bray space and a break to use his speed and get to the hoop. Phenomenal coaching and player management. Vault gives Archie no credit and somehow acts like Archie is slighting Bray there?

Kinda hilarious for a “journalist” but I’m sure he’s doing a great job getting closer to the program.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago The most Rhody thing ever is this account trolling our coach after basically every game. This is why we can’t have nice things.

I put it in the RV thread. Couple guys on Twitter nailed it though - he’s literally begging for Bray to be treated like Fatts or the Mitchell’s…even though it’s clear he responds to tough love.

Bray looks like shit, gets benched a game, comes back a new man and looks like a player. Vault gives Archie no credit and somehow takes that as Bray was doing it all along?

The end of this game Bray didn’t want to play defense. Archie takes him out. Still recognizes the moment, draws up a play to give Bray space and a break to use his speed and get to the hoop. Phenomenal coaching and player management. Vault gives Archie no credit and somehow acts like Archie is slighting Bray there?

Kinda hilarious for a “journalist” but I’m sure he’s doing a great job getting closer to the program.
I’m the one who made the comparison to how Cox coached Fatts and Makhi :). And he’s prob about to block me if he hasn’t already but that dude is toxic to the program at this point.

He wasn’t given access to Archie so he turned on him. He’s in some type of biz relationship with Bray and his dad and he seems hellbent on causing a wedge between Archie and a player with a ton of potential for us.

I can deal with the craziest of comments from actual fans; he’s not a fan. You try to harm the program and you are persona non grata.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

I’m the one who made the comparison to how Cox coached Fatts and Makhi :). And he’s prob about to block me if he hasn’t already but that dude is toxic to the program at this point.

He wasn’t given access to Archie so he turned on him. He’s in some type of biz relationship with Bray and his dad and he seems hellbent on causing a wedge between Archie and a player with a ton of potential for us.

I can deal with the craziest of comments from actual fans; he’s not a fan. You try to harm the program and you are persona non grata.
Yeah he hid my responses that were perfectly reasonable defense of archie but just a contrary opinion. He couldn't handle it lol.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

sevegny7 wrote: 1 year ago

Yeah he hid my responses that were perfectly reasonable defense of archie but just a contrary opinion. He couldn't handle it lol.
He won't. He's a coward. He just blocks people who criticize him.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

When we first went down 10 I said I'd be shocked if we came back and won...and it got even bleaker than that multiple times and yet the boys persevered!

This was significant because UMass Lowell is a solid team

Watched them beat down UMass and were on a level we hadn't reached yet, but we did! During the game, in the second half with our fuckin backs against the wall we kicked it into another gear and found a way to win!

An inspiring effort to say the least!

2-0 since Carey returned
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Haven’t read a goddamn thing, and we got the W, but having Thomas in over a Freeman those last 5 minutes until the end is puzzling to say the least.

It worked out in the end obviously, but everyone here was probably saying the same thing as we were watching in real time.

Freeman seemed pretty happy after the game ended...
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Haven’t read a goddamn thing, and we got the W, but having Thomas in over a Freeman those last 5 minutes until the end is puzzling to say the least.

Absolutely, I’m talking
About after the game tying shot.

Reminded of Biruta’s game winner against Fordham when EC looked pissed he didn’t get the shot.
Go Rhody
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Absolutely, I’m talking

Reminded of Biruta’s game winner against Fordham when EC looked pissed he didn’t get the shot.
ah ok. Must've just been the relief after sitting on the bench for a bit.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago An absolute culture win.

No one is saying this is a blue blood or a win that gets you an at large. In fact it’s a Q3. But it matters. This year isn’t about wins or losses it’s about building a culture of guys who believe they can win. And that’s what they did tonight.

Most of that game was some of the most putrid basketball I’ve ever seen. Didn’t matter we won.

Changed defense away from the packline to man. Couldn’t rebound. Everyone was afraid to shoot. Doesn’t matter we won.

Down 12. Looked lifeless late in the second. Doesn’t matter we won.

None of the details matter when you find a way to grind a game out you had no business winning. Doesn’t matter who the opponent is. But this is how you build a culture.

The fans in the building aren’t going to remember most of the stink that game was. They’re going to remember Bray going coast to coast, Carey stealing the ball, and Ish with ice water.

My 3 year old is going to remember how cool that was and who cares what else. Winning is fun.

Waxing poetic about beating UML? You’re God damn right. Build the culture Archie!

It was a an excellent win!

Some outstanding Coaching tonight by Archie and his staff, particularly Kenny.
  • 22-26 FT's for 84.6%!!!! We moan and groan when FT's cost us games. FT's won us this game tonight. Thomas with huge 2-2 FT's with 6:37 left to bring us within 2 points. Thomas also had a big floater in the lane with 5:31 left to again bring us to within 2 points.
  • Miller put Thomas in with 12:25 left in the 2nd half and did not take him out until 6 seconds were left. Obviously Miller was pleased with Thomas's performance
  • With 4:37 left Miller subbed Carey in for Freeman
  • With 6 seconds left and URI down 2 Miller subbed Freeman for Thomas, looking for Freeman to use his open court skill to get a layup and he did. Great move by Miller and great execution by Freeman. Freeman had shot 3FGs well but had shot poorly on 2FGs up to that point.
  • Last 1:41 of the OT belonged to Ishmael Leggett!! Leggett hits a 3P to tie the game 73-73. 1:06 a big Rebound by Leggett. Missed shot inside by Leggett. Ball out of bounds. We get the ball in to Leggett who gets fouled and makes both FTs in the last seconds of the game. Great to see Miller work the ball to Leggett in crunch time. He is Miller's GO TO Guy and rightfully so
  • Leggett Game Leading Scorer with 19 points on 5-13 FG, 2-5 3FG, 7-8 FTs, 7 rebounds, 2 assists. Leggett was tough defensively and fought hard on the boards, helping to pick up for Bilau being injured in the 1st half
  • Samb with a career high 10 rebounds in 30 minutes helped compensate for the loss of Bilau
  • Great Job of Coaching by Archie Miller tonight
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

A signature win is like a ranked Nebraska type win.

Nice to see a comeback, some fight, and clutch plays.

By no means is it a signature win.
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Also completely off topic, but I almost spit out my beer when they put Jermaine Harris’ name on the board for that trivia game.

Heard a couple people booing too!
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Bray going coast to coast was Tyus Edney like in 95 !!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Absolutely, I’m talking

I kind of got on Freeman’s body language after he fouled out against Brown last week and so maybe I’m not the right person to be disagreeing here, but in this case his buzzer beater didn’t win the game. I don’t mind a business approach there - I actually appreciate it. There is more work left to do, the goal is to win the game not to get to overtime [Herm Edwards voice]

FWIW, I didn’t even notice it in real time so taking your word for how he carried it.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Look back in this thread and I see where i said "I refuse to believe that UML can beat URI"!
You also said our win against Army was meaningless. It's incredibly important for this team to learn how to win games late, and we just did it in back to back games. PROGRESS!!
Our big men are low D1 talent. They were serviceable against Army.
Our best rebounders are Malik and Ish.
UEI has 4 good players: Ish, Bray, Jalen and Malik. Bassy is improving.
Bray showed against UML what D1 teams will do to him when he drives.
Rory, Lou and Brayon are not getting it done for whatever reason,
In how many other games will we win going small?
The only stat that matters is out-scoring your opponent. We need better shooters.
NCAAs or Bust!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Just went to check out the tweet and replies and that bozo coward changed it so only people he follows can reply. What a truly, remarkably thin-skinned move by someone who wants to be an online personality. We need to just stop giving oxygen to that dumpster fire since we are the ones who amplify his tweets here which boost his engagement numbers. If everyone here stopped mentioning him and posting his tweets, he would face to irrelevancy very quick. (Yes, I know I'm also guilty of providing oxygen too)
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Did I read back here that we are 2-0 since Jalen back from injuries? Yes, something there, he brings to the table a presence and scoring capability that we need. OK, a turnover here there, but give me his physical presence. Not sure if starter role is warranted here, but off the bench quickly into game. Weston still finding his way, maybe to no significant contributions once conference starts.
Go Rhody
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Look back in this thread and I see where i said "I refuse to believe that UML can beat URI"!
You also said our win against Army was meaningless. It's incredibly important for this team to learn how to win games late, and we just did it in back to back games. PROGRESS!!
The only stat that matters is out-scoring your opponent. We need better shooters.
First class trolling from a first class troll. It must suck going through life unable to derive any pleasure from a win.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
So Brayon is one of the 4 good players but also isn’t getting it done?

Got it, makes total sense.
Go Rhody
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year agoWe need to just stop giving oxygen to that dumpster fire since we are the ones who amplify his tweets here which boost his engagement numbers. If everyone here stopped mentioning him and posting his tweets, he would face to irrelevancy very quick
This

Problem solved
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Just rewatched last 3 minutes of the game before the overtime. I forgot we were actually down by 6 until Ish hit that ridiculous drive shot off glass with 1:46 left. That's really an impressive comeback.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago Just rewatched last 3 minutes of the game before the overtime. I forgot we were actually down by 6 until Ish hit that ridiculous drive shot off glass with 1:46 left. That's really an impressive comeback.
Absolutely PeteRI, that shot was amazing, plus other Leggett heroics.
  • Last 1:41 of the OT belonged to Ishmael Leggett!!
    Leggett hits a 3P to tie the game 73-73.
    At 1:06 a big Rebound by Leggett.
    At 8 seconds left Missed shot inside by Leggett. Ball out of bounds. We get the ball in to Leggett who gets fouled and makes both FTs in the last seconds of the game.
    Great to see Miller work the ball to Leggett in crunch time.
    He is Miller's go to Guy and rightfully so
  • Leggett Game Leading Scorer with 19 points on 5-13 FG, 2-5 3FG, 7-8 FTs, 7 rebounds, 2 assists. Leggett was tough defensively and fought hard on the boards, helping to pick up for Bilau being injured in the 1st half
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Finally glad to see Carey justify how I've felt about him the last few years.

Electric with the ball in his hands, an athletic freak.

I'll deal with the turnovers if he keeps playing like he has the last two games.
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Also completely off topic, but I almost spit out my beer when they put Jermaine Harris’ name on the board for that trivia game.

Heard a couple people booing too!
They spelled dowtin’s name wrong too. The little things around our game production are still embarrassing.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Magnificent!
Important!
Signature!
Big!
Confidence building!
Milestone!
Clutch!
Well Coached!

Next up @ Georgia State on Sunday then Milwaukee Dec 22

Potential to go into A10 Conference play with a 4 game win streak. Anything can happen in the A10. No clear cut superior teams at this point.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Love hearing Archie describe the Last 6 Second Strategy!

section(105)
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Magnificent!
Important!
Signature!
Big!
Confidence building!
Milestone!
Clutch!
Well Coached!

Potential to go into A10 Conference play with a 4 game win streak. Anything can happen in the A10. No clear cut superior teams at this point.
Well OK. I would take signature, and milestone off that list. However I do know my coffee tastes better, wife looks better today, my breakfast better, going to walk outside in the cold today with a bit of bounce in my step…….Go Rhody!
Last edited by section(105) 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

adults blocking adults on the internet over basketball is the most pussy thing i think ive ever heard.
:lol:
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Magnificent!
Important!
Signature!
Big!
Confidence building!
Milestone!
Clutch!
Well Coached!

Well OK. I would take signature, and milestone off that list. However I do my coffee tastes better, wife looks better today, my breakfast better, going to walk outside in the cold today with a bit of bounce in my step…….Go Rhody!
It’s all in the eye of the beholder.
Now into our 5th year since Dan Hurley it’s been a long, long road of frustration and decreasing performance for the MBB program.

Therefore I’m all in on PeteRI’s Magnificent and Signature classifications. It’s all relative.

Within a week I walked out of the Ryan with the Brown loss and the UMASS Lowell win. All superlatives welcome after gleefully walking out last night.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Anyone else feel like Tchikou is “soft”? He rarely takes charges and when he has the chance to dunk the ball he doesn’t do it. He’s 6’11”…
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 year ago adults blocking adults on the internet over basketball is the most pussy thing i think ive ever heard.
Didn’t RV collaborate with Freeman with some NIL apparel? Pretty sure he did, which would be why he sticks up for him regardless of situation and outcome.
Go Rhody