2012's Rebuild vs. Today

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2012's Rebuild vs. Today

Unread post by section(105) »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago
section(105) wrote: 1 year ago ……”I know there a lot of unknowns…….”
"There are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know."

-Donald Rumsfeld
Exactly, well played, what’s left of my mind could not come up with the full quote, thanks
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

TBH, my least favorite part of Archie’s introduction was when he said “We’ll be good when we are good.” IMO that is not the kind of expectation lowering you want hear when you are introducing your new coach with a historic new contract.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago TBH, my least favorite part of Archie’s introduction was when he said “We’ll be good when we are good.” IMO that is not the kind of expectation lowering you want hear when you are introducing your new coach with a historic new contract.
Couldn’t agree more

Hated it then, hate it now

But I Love him as our head coach

Love the stealth of the program
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
RIFan wrote: 1 year ago TBH, my least favorite part of Archie’s introduction was when he said “We’ll be good when we are good.” IMO that is not the kind of expectation lowering you want hear when you are introducing your new coach with a historic new contract.
Me too! Huge!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I don’t care about stealth or not, I only care about results. If stealth gets results then fine. I personally like to get a bit of info, but I care more about results and am fine with stealth if it works.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I have faith that Arch was a great hire , time will tell but I think we’ll all be happy
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Couldn’t agree more

Hated it then, hate it now

But I Love him as our head coach

Agree also. I just hated that line. Archie did get fired after 4 unsuccessful years at Indiana. We were all happy with the hire, but several poor seasons with no young players with upside and no NCAA tourney will not be a good thing
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

So much more fun this year rooting for a 12 win team as opposed to last years 15 win team with Cox and the twins
Parente07
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Parente07 »

We just need to learn to be tougher when we have a solid cushion / lead. I’ve never seen a team give up sizable leads this often. If we learn to stay strong when we have good leads, I’ll be happy regardless of the record at the end of the season. Just wanna see improvement for the future.

Maybe a few more off the ball screens and picks in general to open lanes up and give a shooter more space, but I’m no coach.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Didn’t someone say “we won’t win 3 more games this year?”

Wahhhhhhh wahhhh 2 to go. Onwards and upwards!
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago So much more fun this year rooting for a 12 win team as opposed to last years 15 win team with Cox and the twins
Well yeah Reef, last season much higher expectations and was a huge disappointment.
This is a rebuilding year, I just care about seeing improvement and player development.

Still, I don't see 12 wins which means winning 6 more conference games.
Looking at the schedlule, maybe 3 or 4. pretty much what Spooky and NYG predicted.

We need some kind of contribution from our bigs.
They can't continue to be our worst rebounders.
Obvious changes will need to be made.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Theres 14 games left in the season, I absolutely believe we can win at least 6 of those.
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Theres 14 games left in the season, I absolutely believe we can win at least 6 of those.
Well, you are more optimistic than me, hope you are right.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Theres 14 games left in the season, I absolutely believe we can win at least 6 of those.
Outside of Dayton, and seeing our A-10 performances so far, I don't think it's a stretch to think they're all somewhere between 50-50 and 60-40 propositions when it comes to winning, with URI on the '40' side. I mean, I'm realizing I'm now "dooming" us to have a bad game where we lose by 20, because progress is seldom in a straight line upward. But yeah, I think we're more of a slightly under .500 team for A-10 play, with players adjusting to roles, vs. the train wreck at the beginning of the year. It's the opposite of the Cox (or Baron, if you prefer) years so far, where we got worse as the season went on, but fattened up on the OOC.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

One thing people keep forgetting about Archie's quote, 'We will be good when we're good". His next line after that was, "Then we'll be REALLY good". How does that quote sound to you, Ramster, when you include the whole quote?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
Outside of Dayton, and seeing our A-10 performances so far, I don't think it's a stretch to think they're all somewhere between 50-50 and 60-40 propositions when it comes to winning, with URI on the '40' side. I mean, I'm realizing I'm now "dooming" us to have a bad game where we lose by 20, because progress is seldom in a straight line upward. But yeah, I think we're more of a slightly under .500 team for A-10 play, with players adjusting to roles, vs. the train wreck at the beginning of the year. It's the opposite of the Cox (or Baron, if you prefer) years so far, where we got worse as the season went on, but fattened up on the OOC.
Well SG after losing the way we did at La Salle and barely squeezing out a win at home against this Bonnie's team, I am not exactly beaming with confidence right now.
Although I think next season can be a totally different story.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Well SG after losing the way we did at La Salle and barely squeezing out a win at home against this Bonnie's team, I am not exactly beaming with confidence right now.
Although I think next season can be a totally different story.
True! We're not necessarily compiling wins. But, our worst loss this year was by 20, to Kansas State (now 24 in KenPom, 13 in NET), and then Providence by 14 (#28, #33). We lost to the Dukes by 11, but even that was more a matter of slipping down the stretch than getting blown out. We're more competitive in these games than record would indicate. I think we're going to be closer to the middle of the A-10 pack, as we get lucky in some of these games and outcomes even out. (You know, kind of like last night, when we actually had the bigger FT disparity, Ish hits his in the final minute, and then SBU misses several chances to win.)
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I expect a continued roller coaster ride. Not the best for the faint of heart.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Doesn’t matter 9 wins 10 wins 12 wins this team is much more fun to root for with Arch @ the helm

The ride will be fun when we are good
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago One thing people keep forgetting about Archie's quote, 'We will be good when we're good". His next line after that was, "Then we'll be REALLY good". How does that quote sound to you, Ramster, when you include the whole quote?
The same.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago I’m not sure I agree that I would be fine with them staying with a scholarship to be a practice body, considering our current situation. But yes, if the program is in good shape then you can afford to carry a couple like that.
I don't really think that's likely, to be clear, just had to mention it as a possibility. I mean, maybe when we're good - guys like Tertsea and Layssard stayed multiple years, even though they weren't playing, but the team was also making NCAA tournaments at the time. But it's hard to imagine scenarios in which players are using a scholarship for 4 years and just not logging any regular season minutes. In those situations, I doubt they're staying because they love the Oceanography program, they're going to transfer down to places they can get minutes.
Tertsea
Another overrated Cox recruit
Went to D2 Gannon for two years
Last season played at Sienna - scored 0 points on 0-5 shooting for the year

Layssard
Also overrated. Out of basketball after leaving uri
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Interesting story about Tony Bennett’s first years at UVA, starting from scratch, and building a program. A good read for anyone who thinks it happens overnight.

https://news.virginia.edu/content/how-e ... g3YSkKo5QM
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good article. Thanks for posting, Kevan.

Adversity builds character. I believe we will be reading a similar article about Archie and our program’s resurrection in the future. I am still confident we will although, it will likely take longer than I initially anticipated.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes it’s a process and Arch will get it done @ Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I want to see just how many players Archie will give the pink slip to after this season. It's going to have to be at least a few, if we even want to be a .500 team next season. Dan his first year here had a very short roster and could bring in a number of recruits right off the bat. Not now.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago Didn’t someone say “we won’t win 3 more games this year?”

Wahhhhhhh wahhhh 2 to go. Onwards and upwards!
If you are going to quote someone, then do it correctly and in context. I will say now that I am underwhelmed by the conference opponents we have played, but 3 conference wins may be it for URI. It will be hard to win games with our Centers AND starting back-court, but there are no better options. Maybe some opponents will play as bad at the RC as we do on the road. I will continue to hope each game for a miracle.
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Conference is still terrible so I think we can get to 6-12 conference
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Reef, this season the conference (and Rhody) is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you are going to get…from game to game.

My translation: You may get something bad, something mediocre but rarely something good.

That said, I would not be shocked if we won 6 more conf games or 0. I have no idea what to expect; I have become numb.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

My guess is we win 4 more conference games and end up 10-20. Gross.
BruceW
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BruceW »

My focus is on winning games of course. But on the recruiting track Archie must bring in at least one preferably two 4 star recruits. It’s time. The trail is enormous where Rhody plays to pick from as starters. I’m very excited to hear who will be coming to Kingston next year. Best regards.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

BruceW wrote: 1 year ago My focus is on winning games of course. But on the recruiting track Archie must bring in at least one preferably two 4 star recruits. It’s time. The trail is enormous where Rhody plays to pick from as starters. I’m very excited to hear who will be coming to Kingston next year. Best regards.
Yes, lots of us are. We had heard a few references to Juco bigs n the way. Anyone have more info on that?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

BruceW wrote: 1 year ago My focus is on winning games of course. But on the recruiting track Archie must bring in at least one preferably two 4 star recruits. It’s time. The trail is enormous where Rhody plays to pick from as starters. I’m very excited to hear who will be coming to Kingston next year. Best regards.
He brought in two for this season.
Go Rhody
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

where are our boosters?

do we have boosters?

who's in the ear of our local car dealerships getting vehicles for recruits?

need deep pockets for NIL.

#sendhelp
:lol:
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
No he didn't. He brought in transfers, not recruits.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago

Holy shit dude you sound like an absolute idiot with this.

THEY’RE THE SAME EXACT THING.

How would you say he got Weston and Tckiou here then? Complete radio silence and those two just randomly chose URI?

No, the coaching staff RECRUITED them to come to the school, therefore making them a RECRUIT.
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

How would you say he got Weston and Tckiou here then? Complete radio silence and those two just randomly chose URI?

No, the coaching staff RECRUITED them to come to the school, therefore making them a RECRUIT.
Yeah, you are wrong. A recruit is a HS recruit. A transfer is a transfer. Plus, I thought you said HS rankings don't matter once they played in college. Dolt.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yeah, you are wrong. A recruit is a HS recruit. A transfer is a transfer. Plus, I thought you said HS rankings don't matter once they played in college. Dolt.

But how does one acquire a transfer? What’s the process like?
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

You call the kid up and offer an NIL?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Like free agency? With less famous agents?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Oh so you call them? Kinda like you call a high school kid?

In other words, your recruit the player by picking up the phone and talking to them?
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

Rhetorical question.

Getting a high school and a transfer is the exact same thing. You recruit them. Therefore, they are recruits.
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhetorical question.

Getting a high school and a transfer is the exact same thing. You recruit them. Therefore, they are recruits.
Stick to that thought process. It works for you.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

In other words, your recruit the player by picking up the phone and talking to them?
Dude, just drop it. You're making yourself look silly.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

One of you is looking silly, but it's not the poster you think
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

So tell me RR2 how transfers are got these days. How exactly do you you get top transfers to come and play for your team? Because they like the jerseys and the coach? Please.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

So tell me RR2 how transfers are got these days. How exactly do you you get top transfers to come and play for your team? Because they like the jerseys and the coach? Please.
Uh, transfers are gotten by RECRUITING them.

NIL, playing time, location, relationship with the coach / coaches are all part of a players recruitment process.

ALL of those things are part of recruiting players to your program whether in high school, JUCO, overseas or a college transfer.

You really think Weston and Tchkiou came here because we offered them a great NIL deal? Please.

You'll keep banging your head against the wall with this though.

I would guess 99% of people here would agree with me on this.
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NIL, playing time, location, relationship with the coach / coaches are all part of a players recruitment process.

ALL of those things are part of recruiting players to your program whether in high school, JUCO, overseas or a college transfer.

You really think Weston and Tchkiou came here because we offered them a great NIL deal? Please.

Wait the fuck. Hold up. Weston and Tchkiou? who are averaging a COMBINED 7.9 points per game. Yeah, I wouldn't expect us to pay 1 dime for that.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhetorical question.

Totally wrong....HS recruits are 16-18 and in living rooms with moms (draftees). Transfers are 'seasoned, hardened businessmen' of 19-20+ years old that have been in it, and are somewhat known commodities (free agents). Big difference, I think.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhetorical question.

Totally wrong....HS recruits are 16-18 and in living rooms with moms (draftees). Transfers are 'seasoned, hardened businessmen' of 19-20+ years old that have been in it, and are somewhat known commodities (free agents). Big difference, I think.

Yea Brandon Weston was a seasoned harness businessmen with his 1 total minute of action last season.

You recruit transfers, high school kids, international kids, etc to come to your program.

In what world are you idiots living in?
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Wait the fuck. Hold up. Weston and Tchkiou? who are averaging a COMBINED 7.9 points per game. Yeah, I wouldn't expect us to pay 1 dime for that.

I asked how does one get a transfer and you said “call them up and offer an NIL deal.”
Go Rhody