11/23 | Illinois State | 11:00AM (FloSports)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 11/23 | Illinois State | 11:00AM (FloSports)

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Straight from Alex himself. I love this guy's attitude, I think he'll be just fine long term.

I thought for sure he’s been good enough to get regular minutes.

Very surprised with a DNP - coaches decision.
Hes in the Dog house it seems? Worked for Freeman.
GO RAMS
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

2-2 in the last four games.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Straight from Alex himself. I love this guy's attitude, I think he'll be just fine long term.

Wow! You never see that! Way to keep it real Alex!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago I mentioned Bilau would eventually be our starting Center few weeks ago based on intel I was getting. I think you will start to see Thomas and Samb for spot minutes moving fwd and Bray and Bilau eating up all those minutes.

I’d be shocked if we don’t roll out a new lineup for BC.

Bilau, Someone else, Martin, Leggett and Bray

Rhody Vault has an axe to grind with Archie. He’s doing our program no favors taking pot shots at our coach but he is earning some support from opposing fans so if that’s the intent mission accomplished.
I kind of like that someone else to be Rory , he gives us that screen guy that can shoot the 3 @ least to start the game
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago double double for bilau
I LOVE Bilau
Kid is a HOUSE.

He put that kid in a blender with that spin cycle a few minutes ago.

My oh my the footwork.
I don’t know if it was visible on the broadcast but when he did that I actually fell out of the stands and onto the floor.

I’m day-to-day with an ankle injury.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
Parente07 wrote: 1 year ago Couldn't find this anywhere, but are Carey and Tchikou hurt? If so anyone have a timetable on that?

Also, are we red-shirting Foumena? Thought he was gonna be a beast.
Carey's injury flared up again, which is why he's been out. This seems like an injury where he's going to be a game time decision a lot of games until he can rest up more in the exam/Christmas slow part of the season. No inside info, just what I'm seeing and a guess
Yeah be big to get Jalen back we need his athleticism to get us buckets when the others are struggling just hope he can limit his turnovers
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago I mentioned Bilau would eventually be our starting Center few weeks ago based on intel I was getting. I think you will start to see Thomas and Samb for spot minutes moving fwd and Bray and Bilau eating up all those minutes.

Rhody Vault has an axe to grind with Archie. He’s doing our program no favors taking pot shots at our coach but he is earning some support from opposing fans so if that’s the intent mission accomplished.
I kind of like that someone else to be Rory , he gives us that screen guy that can shoot the 3 @ least to start the game
Good take. The way we have started games offensively, we could use a shooter in there - assuming he continues his play from today.

Screen and pop’s with Rory and Swish and/or Bray could work well.

I expect Archie will pull the right strings. We are a work in progress.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

Good take. The way we have started games offensively, we could use a shooter in there - assuming he continues his play from today.

Screen and pop’s with Rory and Swish and/or Bray could work well.

I expect Archie will pull the right strings. We are a work in progress.
The nice thing is that it’s always someone else - and the coach recognizes that.

Rory was working this game so he stuck with him. First couple it was Frentchi, then Hutch, then Bray, now Rory.

Archie has the pulse. So much fun to have him as our coach.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Nothing like game threads. They are a great ride of up’s and down’s win or lose. Crazy, entertaining stuff. And tremendous insights.

I am enjoying this season because this team and coaching staff put out effort every game and they continue to improve. Bodes well for better results to come.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

I LOVE Bilau
Kid is a HOUSE.

My oh my the footwork.
I don’t know if it was visible on the broadcast but when he did that I actually fell out of the stands and onto the floor.

Ok, I had to post that move. That's it for me with clips from the tournament. Time consuming but our players deserve it.

You're the man Blueman!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

Kid is a HOUSE.

My oh my the footwork.

Ok, I had to post that move. That's it for me with clips from the tournament. Time consuming but our players deserve it.

You're the man Blueman!
Good footwork Bilau
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Well, we said, put the ball in the basket and earn instant playing time. Looks like about 4 people did just that: Leggett, Freeman, Bilau and Stewart, and they all had a chance to do it in this game.

I think Freeman and Leggett are the starting backcourt until further notice at least. There is at least one piece of the puzzle figured out.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

A looked over stat but holding an opponent to 44 points is huge. Over the years UVA has gotten a ton of mileage holding their opponents to 50 points or less a game. It got them a lot of wins when their offense was mediocre at best. I hope we’re beginning to see a similar trend in Kingston.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

Kid is a HOUSE.

My oh my the footwork.

You're the man Blueman!
Nice baby hook by big B and a nice put back with the left hand by Rory. Good stuff and thanks for the video.
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Really happy for staff and players to get the win today. I think we will look back at this tournament and it becomes the turning point. Getting off campus and giving these guys and staff a chance to come together is an invaluable experience. Archie truly gets it! The fan base can see it and Vault can scratch my ass! He is so far up Grasso's ass it's laughable! This staff is engaged and coaching up these guys. So impressed with them.
Bray is going to be a monster and gives us the pace and down hill ability we need as a lead guard. He is fearless and plays with an edge. Credit to the staff for getting him to buy in and credit to the young man for trusting the process. Ish is a total different player! I was down on him and stand corrected and am so impressed! Absolutely thrilled for him!!!!! He and Bray are going to win us some games!

Bilau is going to get better and better and gives good size and great energy out of the five. Much sounder then Samb on the defensive end. I think Alex will end up being the other five and give us some really good nights. That's 10 fouls out of the 5! Samb will play some 5 but more 4 down the road. Rory will be able to play more against certain teams and create offense and sound play. Today was the perfect example. He was able to match up with play. Kansas State and Tulane were too athletic and not a fit. Once he starts knocking down shots he will find more time regardless the opponent.

We need a healthy Carey. Those of you that are complaining about his turnovers need to get over yourselves. Yes he turns it over... you all have been harping on it forever. He had a solid year last year and he gives us a guy who can break anyone down. He is an exceptional athlete who defends well and is a shot maker. Ish, Bray and Carey can all get down hill and put pressure on the defense. They attack the rim and can match up size wise and athletically with anyone. Thinking we need to start Ish and Bray with Jalen coming off the bench.

I think we will eventually start Brandon at the three and Malik at the 4. I'm hoping Brandon continues to progress and takes over the 3 and we play Samb and Rory at the 4. Malik is playing too many minutes in my opinion. We lose his effectiveness and he wears down. Bring him off the bench with Jalen at the 15 minute mark at the 3 and play him some at the 4 when match-ups work.

Hutch is going to be very good. Love how Archie is bringing him along. He has high I.Q. and is going to be tremendous for us.
Bassy can give us 5 to 10 minutes a night. Love the kid but not a fan of his game.

Shooting is a concern but I think once we develop chemistry and become more connected some of those dribble drives will turn to kicks and knock downs. Looking forward to seeing this group come together and win some games. In Archie I trust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

This.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago A looked over stat but holding an opponent to 44 points is huge. Over the years UVA has gotten a ton of mileage holding their opponents to 50 points or less a game. It got them a lot of wins when their offense was mediocre at best. I hope we’re beginning to see a similar trend in Kingston.
I’m thinking it was more the 3 games in 3 days than our defense, as we didn’t crack 60.

Not saying our defense was bad, but I’d chalk it more up to tired legs.
Go Rhody
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Agree but Malik still needs to start and remain a 30+ min game player for us. His leadership and all around game is very valuable. He has played this whole tournament on a bum ankle so to the people who are criticizing him a little right now it is not fair. A true gritty player that is needed to teach the young guys. He is easily one of our best players this season, no question. Malik brings it every damn game..
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

DevRam wrote: 1 year ago Agree but Malik still needs to start and remain a 30+ min game player for us. His leadership and all around game is very valuable. He has played this whole tournament on a bum ankle so to the people who are criticizing him a little right now it is not fair. A true gritty player that is needed to teach the young guys. He is easily one of our best players this season, no question. Malik brings it every damn game..
Agree that Malik is very valuable to this group. His leadership, grit and heart are not questioned. Players like Malik are needed in every successful program. He is valued by the fan base and obviously loved by staff and teammates. He is a glue guy. 20 to 25 minutes with high energy guys like this make them most effective. He is a five year player who is what he is. He will not hold up playing 30 plus minutes every night being asked to play multiple roles defensively and play the 4. Very few role players on any good team play 30 plus a night. This is not an insult on Malik but when I see Brandon Weston play I want to see more. I see a different type of talent who is willing to do the dirty work too. I actually think we are at our best when Bray, Ish, Brandon, Malik and Bilau are on the court. Malik is a warrior and a favorite of mine!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

DevRam wrote: 1 year ago Agree but Malik still needs to start and remain a 30+ min game player for us. His leadership and all around game is very valuable. He has played this whole tournament on a bum ankle so to the people who are criticizing him a little right now it is not fair. A true gritty player that is needed to teach the young guys. He is easily one of our best players this season, no question. Malik brings it every damn game..
Hard disagree. Malik doesn’t have a natural position. He is too small for the 4 and doesn’t have the handle or shooting ability you need at the 3. He’s also very offensively challenged. He’s our TJ Buchanan. Leader, tough as nails, but a role player. Never should be out there 30+ mpg.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Some pics of the guys having fun after the win.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Think we need to see Freeman starting which hopefully will eliminate the very slow starts we have experienced. Certainly would like to see it beginning on Sunday. Need Carey out there as he can create his own shots.

Heading up to BC.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Yes, time for Bassey to come off the bench, Freeman has earned the starting role place, unless Archie has some other criteria at this point, other than offensive production.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree. Fascinating that Alex himself would go back at Rhody Rampage and say that’s not true, I am not hurt, I’m just not good enough.
Archie preaches Attitude. That is one great Attitude by Alex. Honest, humble, direct.

Wonder where Rhody Rampage got the injury info. Would be interesting to be a fly on the wall of the conversation with his source whoever it might be.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

LIRAM wrote: 1 year ago Really happy for staff and players to get the win today. I think we will look back at this tournament and it becomes the turning point. Getting off campus and giving these guys and staff a chance to come together is an invaluable experience. Archie truly gets it! The fan base can see it and Vault can scratch my ass! He is so far up Grasso's ass it's laughable! This staff is engaged and coaching up these guys. So impressed with them.
Bray is going to be a monster and gives us the pace and down hill ability we need as a lead guard. He is fearless and plays with an edge. Credit to the staff for getting him to buy in and credit to the young man for trusting the process. Ish is a total different player! I was down on him and stand corrected and am so impressed! Absolutely thrilled for him!!!!! He and Bray are going to win us some games!

Bilau is going to get better and better and gives good size and great energy out of the five. Much sounder then Samb on the defensive end. I think Alex will end up being the other five and give us some really good nights. That's 10 fouls out of the 5! Samb will play some 5 but more 4 down the road. Rory will be able to play more against certain teams and create offense and sound play. Today was the perfect example. He was able to match up with play. Kansas State and Tulane were too athletic and not a fit. Once he starts knocking down shots he will find more time regardless the opponent.

We need a healthy Carey. Those of you that are complaining about his turnovers need to get over yourselves. Yes he turns it over... you all have been harping on it forever. He had a solid year last year and he gives us a guy who can break anyone down. He is an exceptional athlete who defends well and is a shot maker. Ish, Bray and Carey can all get down hill and put pressure on the defense. They attack the rim and can match up size wise and athletically with anyone. Thinking we need to start Ish and Bray with Jalen coming off the bench.

I think we will eventually start Brandon at the three and Malik at the 4. I'm hoping Brandon continues to progress and takes over the 3 and we play Samb and Rory at the 4. Malik is playing too many minutes in my opinion. We lose his effectiveness and he wears down. Bring him off the bench with Jalen at the 15 minute mark at the 3 and play him some at the 4 when match-ups work.

Hutch is going to be very good. Love how Archie is bringing him along. He has high I.Q. and is going to be tremendous for us.
Bassy can give us 5 to 10 minutes a night. Love the kid but not a fan of his game.

Shooting is a concern but I think once we develop chemistry and become more connected some of those dribble drives will turn to kicks and knock downs. Looking forward to seeing this group come together and win some games. In Archie I trust!
Good points LIRAM.
I understand about Rory being more a fit today, and not such a good fit the last two games in Cayman. But it could be as simple as Hutchinson got a big opportunity today with the start. He only played 13 minutes, 0-3 FG, 2 Turnovers, no assists, no rebounds. Visibility is a great thing but it can also hurt if you don’t take advantage.
Archie went with Rory, I’m sure surprising all on this board. Gave him 25 minutes and he took full advantage.
Samb struggled with no points and 5 fouls in 13 minutes giving more opportunity to Rory.
Rory had a game high +20
Malik Martin next at +17

I’m sure Archie and staff are reviewing film and stats to see what the best combinations are.

There is a lot of who should start, who should play how many minutes, who shouldn’t play - that was big during the Cox years here but maybe I’m taking a page out of BlueMan’s book to just sit back and watch Archie Miller in action running this program.

I’ve watched Archie and the team at the home games and the scrimmage. The pregame warmups are all business. No Fatts Russell and others taking shots from half court in warmups or joking around excessively. Archie is as much in control as any HC I have seen. He knows what he is doing. It’s a huge difference from the 4 Cox years and in some ways even more organized, structured and well run than the Hurley teams. Just my early observations. I’ve been very impressed. I’ll also dress that’s it’s very early but I’m more impressed than I thought I’d be at this point in time.

So sitting back and watching Archie conduct the orchestra is a way to approach this season. For sure he has made many moves already that people on this board and in the media didn’t see coming. His stealth approach is great from my vantage point. This guy and his staff get it.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Agree. Fascinating that Alex himself would go back at Rhody Rampage and say that’s not true, I am not hurt, I’m just not good enough.
Archie preaches Attitude. That is one great Attitude by Alex. Honest, humble, direct.

Wonder where Rhody Rampage got the injury info. Would be interesting to be a fly on the wall of the conversation with his source whoever it might be.
He should tell Rhody Vault to chill out
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

There is a lot of who should start, who should play how many minutes, who shouldn’t play - that was big during the Cox years here but maybe I’m taking a page out of BlueMan’s book to just sit back and watch Archie Miller in action running this program.

So sitting back and watching Archie conduct the orchestra is a way to approach this season. For sure he has made many moves already that people on this board and in the media didn’t see coming. His stealth approach is great from my vantage point. This guy and his staff get it.
Come to mass my son - all are welcome at the altar of St Archie!!!

It’s so much fun to have confidence in the head guy. Unlike our previous coaches there’s no “can he do it at this level” or “can he do it at all” - we know he can.

Let’s enjoy the ride up.

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

You were right all along Blue Ram. Archie is exactly the man we needed to recapture the culture of accountability and success that Dan established. I love how Archie manages the roster and never hesitates to pull someone out and put another guy in. His handling of Bray was masterful and we're seeing immediate results. Clearly there's buy-in to his approach and the difference between this season and last is stunning.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
Hard disagree. Malik doesn’t have a natural position. He is too small for the 4 and doesn’t have the handle or shooting ability you need at the 3. He’s also very offensively challenged. He’s our TJ Buchanan. Leader, tough as nails, but a role player. Never should be out there 30+ mpg.
I’m good with about 25 minutes for Malik , I think Ish and Bray should be playing 30 plus
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago You were right all along Blue Ram. Archie is exactly the man we needed to recapture the culture of accountability and success that Dan established. I love how Archie manages the roster and never hesitates to pull someone out and put another guy in. His handling of Bray was masterful and we're seeing immediate results. Clearly there's buy-in to his approach and the difference between this season and last is stunning.

Who would have thunk ?!!

NO DOUBT !
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago You were right all along Blue Ram. Archie is exactly the man we needed to recapture the culture of accountability and success that Dan established. I love how Archie manages the roster and never hesitates to pull someone out and put another guy in. His handling of Bray was masterful and we're seeing immediate results. Clearly there's buy-in to his approach and the difference between this season and last is stunning.
Bilau grabbed a rebound and tried to go coast to coast illogically, ran over someone for an offensive foul and immediately got yanked. That’s when you knew we had turned the page from our previous coach.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Bilau grabbed a rebound and tried to go coast to coast illogically, ran over someone for an offensive foul and immediately got yanked. That’s when you knew we had turned the page from our previous coach.
Yes BAR, we learned very early into this season that Archie has a very short leash.

He would have never tolerated some of the nonsense that we saw from Cox's team the last several seasons.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Yes! The poster play of the page turning for sure, we’ve got coachable players rather than coach killer players, Go Rhody. Happy Thanksgiving KBers……on to BC
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago

“I am not hurt, just not good enough yet… Gotta get better“

When Alex says this there are a couple ways to interpret.
One is Alex means he is not good enough yet with his basketball skills and “Gotta get better.”

The other is he is not hurt but his ankle or whatever injury he had is not good enough yet and “Gotta get better.”

Could be in the English/French translation. My guess is it’s his injury and not that his basketball needing to get better. It could be interpreted either way.

Also interesting the “Don’t quote me on that” comment by Rhody Rampage yet he is putting the ankle injury out there for the world to see. If you don’t want to be quoted don’t say it.
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago

“I am not hurt, just not good enough yet… Gotta get better“

When Alex says this there are a couple ways to interpret.
One is Alex means he is not good enough yet with his basketball skills and Gotta get better.

The other is he is not hurt but his ankle or whatever injury he had is not good enough yet and Gotta get better.

Could be in the English/French translation.

Also interesting the “Don’t quote me on that” comment yet he is putting the ankle injury out there for the world to see. If you don’t want to be quoted don’t say it.
Yes, I get the impression he doesn't have a serious injury, just banged up, being cautious, and not risking further issues.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I’m good with about 25 minutes for Malik , I think Ish and Bray should be playing 30 plus
Malik is 2nd (by far) in minutes averaging 29.4.
Samb is next just at 24 minutes, followed by Bassy at just over 23 minutes.

I expect that all to change as the season goes along.

Weston and Louis will continue to push Martin and eat away at his minutes.

Now with Bilau back, Rory coming on, and Alex, Samb's minutes will shrink.

And Bray gives us another dimension with his scoring ability, Bassy's role will diminish quite a bit.

Archie has a lot of pieces and options to work with.
It will be fun to see this team develop.
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

I have a feeling that Rory is going to have a few impact games as he progresses....
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

rjv wrote: 1 year ago I have a feeling that Rory is going to have a few impact games as he progresses....
The three he made was a breath of fresh air man. We don't usually have 6'8 guys that can do that. The type of player all the big time teams have.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

rjv wrote: 1 year ago I have a feeling that Rory is going to have a few impact games as he progresses....
The three he made was a breath of fresh air man. We don't usually have 6'8 guys that can do that. The type of player all the big time teams have.
Yup we need him to nail that 3 that’s what we brought him in for
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Watching him play - he’s worth a lot more than just a 3. Good motor. Good footwork. Can get up and fight for rebounds. Can defend the low post.

He’s going to be very very good for us.

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Yep, feed him all he can eat, shots off the catch, get him on the perimeter, secondary break type stuff hanging out on the arc. Let’s go Rory!
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Watching him play - he’s worth a lot more than just a 3. Good motor. Good footwork. Can get up and fight for rebounds. Can defend the low post.

So you're saying my hope that he becomes our version of Peyton Aldridge is alive?
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I agree. Malik is such a warrior that we may need to back off his minutes some so that he doesn’t breakdown physically. Need to preserve the glue guy.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

So you're saying my hope that he becomes our version of Peyton Aldridge is alive?
That would be great him or what Hoerscher gave PC last year
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Anyone else still getting billed by Flosports/Flohoops from November although immediately cancelled??
Port Charlotte Ram
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Port Charlotte Ram »

I don't think i am,but when I tried to cancel it would not let me so I stopped creditcard payment these companies are ridiculous
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

The Rory and Tkichou takes in this thread have aged well. 😐
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Redbirds were the only team this season to date that URI defeated away from the Ryan Center. This game was played at a neutral site in the Cayman Islands. Ill State is presently 8-13 overall and 3-7 in the MVC and has an NET of #262.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Port Charlotte Ram wrote: 1 year ago I don't think i am,but when I tried to cancel it would not let me so I stopped creditcard payment these companies are ridiculous
They all are...still kinda wildwest-ish....I had Sirius on an intro deal price. When it expired, they wanted to charge me triple. In a text chat with an 'agent' I said 'pass/cancel', they said "why." I said, 'cost. I want to pay the same as last year." they said "ok" :roll: