11/21 | Kansas State | 7:30PM (FloSports)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 11/21 | Kansas State | 7:30PM (FloSports)

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Difference continues to be an inability to shoot the freakin ball. Doesn’t matter if it is K-State or Texas State, the other team gets an open look for three it goes down. We get wide open looks, like really good looks at a 3 off good offense and it is brick city. Do not get me started on FTs either, if you suck at 3s and need to drive to the hoop to score it is imperative that you hit the FTs. 61% is not good enough.

I actually think the team looks pretty decent in a lot of areas already, but the shooting is atrocious.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

10 guys played more than 15 minutes. Most around 20. Ish was the outlier at 32
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Give me :

Freeman
Leggett
Carey
Bilau
Tchikou
GO RAMS
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago Well, they didn’t give up.
Played them close to even in the 2nd half. Outscored 33-30.

Considering we didn’t shoot well from the field and not as well as before from the line, we hung tough after that first half start where KS outscored us 14-2.

Some good things to take from the game: We rebounded better after a rough start; Bray, Weston and Carey are coming around it seems; we forced 19 turnovers.

That said, man, we struggle shooting. We really need to hit the freebies at a higher rate than we did tonight with the way we shoot from the field. If the shooting struggle continue and the foul shooting starts heading south, we will really struggle to put points up.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Give me :

Freeman
Leggett
Carey
Bilau
Tchikou
No need to play Carey a lot. Or Malik This team isn’t going to win much. Give me more Lou and Weston.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Dunno that convincing upperclassmen to stay then benching em is our best look…

We’ll see.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

I thought they played as I expected. Fought hard,there’s a difference in athletic ability with K State right now. That’s a good team. We didn’t shoot well for 3 or with FTs. Could have been 10 if we hit FTs down the stretch and a couple 3s go in. Probably in the minority but they have improved from Game 1.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhody Sody wrote: 1 year ago I thought they played as I expected. Fought hard,there’s a difference in athletic ability with K State right now. That’s a good team. We didn’t shoot well for 3 or with FTs. Could have been 10 if we hit FTs down the stretch and a couple 3s go in. Probably in the minority but they have improved from Game 1.
. Agree. A lot!,
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Who do they play next and what time?
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody Sody wrote: 1 year ago I thought they played as I expected. Fought hard,there’s a difference in athletic ability with K State right now. That’s a good team. We didn’t shoot well for 3 or with FTs. Could have been 10 if we hit FTs down the stretch and a couple 3s go in. Probably in the minority but they have improved from Game 1.
Agreed.. Beat Tulane!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Could you imagine if they got worse from Game 1!! :lol:
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago Who do they play next and what time?
Tulane tomorrow at 5.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

Freeman
Leggett
Carey
Bilau
Tchikou
No need to play Carey a lot. Or Malik This team isn’t going to win much. Give me more Lou and Weston.
Brandon Weston 10 points, zero turnovers and a game high 10 rebounds in 21 minutes.
David N'Guessen was 2nd game high in rebounds with 7.
Weston with solid, quiet production and showed a toughness this team needs when he got the double technical.
Put Weston in a starting role
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
ArchieOrBust
Jim Eitner

Unread post by ArchieOrBust »

This should’ve been a much closer game. Great coaches can make weaker players win. Same mistakes, limited adjustments until the second half. You can fix free throws, you can fix turnovers, you can fix bad shots, and you can fix getting down the court to play D.

We lost one good twin and Antwan Walker. It’s not like we don’t have similar pieces to last year. We should be doing much better and everyone getting on “it’s okay it’s the rebuild year” needs to stop.

We are here to win, we pay to see them win, I want win’s. Not pathetic loses.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Weston definitely a bright spot tonight. He'll be starting in no time.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago This team isn’t going to win much.

You have that right. I am starting to question whether this team will even reach double digit win numbers. This season is shaping up to be on par with Danny's first year, Baron's last year, and Jerry D's two years. It looks that bleak early on. This team can't put the ball through the hoop from anywhere on the court - be it from beyond the three point line, within the three point line, or from the charity stripe. Just brutal shooting skills.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Weston definitely a bright spot tonight. He'll be starting in no time.
I’d love to see Weston start tomorrow
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Weston definitely a bright spot tonight. He'll be starting in no time.
I’d love to see Weston start tomorrow
Agreed, I'd be fine with that. Either way hopefully he can stay healthy and keep getting more minutes.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Freeman
Leggett
Carey
Bilau
Tchikou
Agree 100%. This team is not a good one on any fronts and is going nowhere. They need to find out who will be part of the future. Play Lou, Freeman, Weston and some of the younger guys. Martin and Carey do nothing for us at this point. I’m not sold on Bilau at this level, but what can it hurt to play him and see what he can offer
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Glad I didn't waste $ 30 to watch this . From the box score and what is posted it sounds like all the same issues continue including abominable shooting,
poor defense and too many turnovers. Those are some pretty ugly stats . I had hoped for some improvement , but if there was any , it surely doesn't show in the box score. As Archie said before the season " We'll be good when we are good." I guess that is going to be the theme for this season .
I only hope they start approaching that level before they run out of games . My first game in person is coming on December 3 . Right now that doesn't
portend to be a fun fest for Rhody fans . Some games to be played before then . Baby steps ...
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’d be surprised if Arch starts Weston @ least in the next 2 games , he may play a lot of minutes but I doubt he starts

We are 19-72 from 3 this year 26 % !!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I was working and watching so I didn't get the best look at all the action but, from what I can tell we are just now getting healthy, getting everyone out on the court together, and Bray finally playing with some confidence.

We really held up well considering Kansas State is more athletic than us and uses that athleticism so well on defense. They were just all over us. It's kind of amazing it didn't get worse. A week ago we maybe get beat by 40 by them.

I think we'll just get a lot better from here on out and if you've watched the A-10 thus far this year...there are wins available.

Can't wait to watch us beat Tulane tomorrow!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 year ago I’d be surprised if Arch starts Weston @ least in the next 2 games , he may play a lot of minutes but I doubt he starts

Why don’t you think he starts Weston?
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If we made 5 more FTs, we are > 75% and we would have lost by only 15. Bassy was 0-2 shootings FTs which is too small of a sample size to draw conclusions. In a transition game Bassy is good, but a liability in a half-court offense where defenders slack off him. If he can't shoot FTs, he shouldn't be on the court in competitive games. It is all on him if he isn't at least an average FT shooter.It is a matter of proper technique and muscle memory from repetition. I want him to succeed.
NCAAs or Bust!
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

ArchieOrBust wrote: 1 year ago This should’ve been a much closer game. Great coaches can make weaker players win. Same mistakes, limited adjustments until the second half. You can fix free throws, you can fix turnovers, you can fix bad shots, and you can fix getting down the court to play D.

We lost one good twin and Antwan Walker. It’s not like we don’t have similar pieces to last year. We should be doing much better and everyone getting on “it’s okay it’s the rebuild year” needs to stop.

Our front court last year was leaps and bounds better then what we have currently. That’s not to say our current guys will never be successful, they just have next to no experience, and are smaller.

I get you want to win but the majority of guys on this roster playing minutes have barely any college experience. It’s going to take time for them to get up to speed. You can tell they’re not there yet on defense, way too many easy buckets. Last years team was miserable to watch on offense but was fairly stout defensively overall.

Oh and lastly, shooting. We’re currently shooting 38% front the floor, that’s good for 339th in the country - literally cannot be much worse. Also 22% from 3pt land.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

My steady slow growth expectations are difficult, for me to measure, couple of steps forward, couple of steps back, few steps sideways. Going to be a long season, I guess we will beat a few A-10 teams. I can’t get down too much on game to game results, I am buckled in for the long haul and look down at the bench and see hope embodied in the coach. Last couple of years, this was not the case. Go Rhody
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

reef wrote: 1 year ago I’d be surprised if Arch starts Weston @ least in the next 2 games , he may play a lot of minutes but I doubt he starts

I unfortunately see 14-64, which is an even worse 22%
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ArchieOrBust wrote: 1 year ago This should’ve been a much closer game. Great coaches can make weaker players win. Same mistakes, limited adjustments until the second half. You can fix free throws, you can fix turnovers, you can fix bad shots, and you can fix getting down the court to play D.

Which player was “the good twin” in your opinion?
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Also - if we don’t spot Kansas state a 14-2 lead before realizing the game started, last nights result looks a lot more competitive. We played with them in the 2nd half. Archie just needs to find the guys who can lock in for 40 minutes.

I’m confident that if we start getting the version of Bray who figured out how to score, and the closer to full health version of Weston last night, we will see an immediate difference.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Really
Sounds like you were one of those fans who wanted Hurley gone after his first 2 seasons or even his 4th.

We knew this wasn't going to be a quick fix.
Our roster is currently filled with a lot of inexperience and youth.

Archie's plan was to build for the future, that has been his philosophy in the way he recruited players this year.
So if you don't buy into that, obviously you don't buy into Archie.

I knew this season wasn't going to be pretty and there will be lots of growing pains.
But I trust his system and see much potential for this team going forward.

The staff understands what they need and that is why we see Dubs and Cam in the class of '23.

Be patient and our time will come.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago

Our front court last year was leaps and bounds better then what we have currently. That’s not to say our current guys will never be successful, they just have next to no experience, and are smaller.

I get you want to win but the majority of guys on this roster playing minutes have barely any college experience. It’s going to take time for them to get up to speed. You can tell they’re not there yet on defense, way too many easy buckets. Last years team was miserable to watch on offense but was fairly stout defensively overall.

Oh and lastly, shooting. We’re currently shooting 38% front the floor, that’s good for 339th in the country - literally cannot be much worse. Also 22% from 3pt land.
I suspect that the hardest thing to recruit nowadays are shooters that can still hang in the lineup defensively, or, who have enough athleticism to get clean looks at the D-I level. (Plenty of players can shoot fine in high school, but can't when the defensive pressure or intensity increases.) I don't think we're going to win many games this year, because it'll either take outlier bad shooting nights from opponents, outlier good shooting nights from URI, or both. I'm positive Archie knows this too, though, and I'd suspect that almost all of our recruits for the next few years are going to be offense-oriented. (Hell, it's not even like Cox was unaware of this weakness, since Stephens was his #1 recruit, and Brafford also projected as a shooting big man.)
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago

Freeman
Leggett
Carey
Bilau
Tchikou
Agree 100%. This team is not a good one on any fronts and is going nowhere. They need to find out who will be part of the future. Play Lou, Freeman, Weston and some of the younger guys. Martin and Carey do nothing for us at this point. I’m not sold on Bilau at this level, but what can it hurt to play him and see what he can offer
Disagree 100% - throwing a bunch of guys out there with no college experience is a recipe for disaster this year and beyond. Carey and Martin offer a good layer of protection for the rest of the team.

Also disagree that the team is going nowhere. There is no reason they can’t work themselves to be in the top half of the A10 this year. That may seem like nowhere, but it is a much better stepping stone for next year than the basement. Really hard to go worst to first. Typically there is a middle year in between. Let’s get that out the way this year, try and make a run in the conference, go from there.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

For me, the difficulty of building a team quickly via the portal is obvious. The portal can be useful to plug in a piece or two into a coach’s system that is already in place. The rebuild is on for future A-10 upper tier competition, the collection of pieces we currently have are just that a collection of pieces that maybe can be molded into the Archie system.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Dunno that convincing upperclassmen to stay then benching em is our best look…

We’ll see.
that's building culture.

it's not the players culture. it's the coaches.

don't like it, ride some pine.
:lol:
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

It's somewhat refreshing having a throw away OOC with only room for improvement...

Results, other than for morale reasons, don't matter right now. Grow each game - define roles - welcome new additions (Bilau) and gain some confidence before becoming a spoiler in the conference slate.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It’s been a refreshing :( :( throw away OOC for several years now, just not everyone has gotten used to that
Winning the A10 Tournament is (and has been) the only way to Dance
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago It’s been throw away OOC for several years now, just not everyone has gotten used to that
Not according to you.

You predicted a 23-8 record which would put us around the bubble.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago It’s been throw away OOC for several years now, just not everyone has gotten used to that
Not according to you.

You predicted a 23-8 record which would put us around the bubble.
Not over yet. Look at the player you called Division 2 just last March - Ishmael Leggett - he is kicking butt as our leading scorer. Even Rhody 15 can be wrong!! Amazing! And if Carey turns out as great as you are thinking then look out A10!! Anything is possible.

A10 is barely a 2 bid conference. Last year the A10 got two teams but with the worst seeds the A10 has gotten this century. Wishing on a star for A10 getting At-Large. Go for the Championship!!
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

In this new transfer environment and NIL money world I do question Archie’s roster construction. What makes him think he will be able to keep his top players long enough to develop the system and culture he used to be able to do?
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago
RamStock wrote: 1 year ago

Disagree 100% - throwing a bunch of guys out there with no college experience is a recipe for disaster this year and beyond. Carey and Martin offer a good layer of protection for the rest of the team.

Also disagree that the team is going nowhere. There is no reason they can’t work themselves to be in the top half of the A10 this year. That may seem like nowhere, but it is a much better stepping stone for next year than the basement. Really hard to go worst to first. Typically there is a middle year in between. Let’s get that out the way this year, try and make a run in the conference, go from there.
So you don't want more minutes for the players with no college experience, and the reason why is they have no college experience? Malik and Carey are still going to get minutes. But we want guys like Lou and Weston to keep playing more so they hopefully keep improving. Playing the younger pieces more minutes does not hurt our future. It helps.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago In this new transfer environment and NIL money world I do question Archie’s roster construction. What makes him think he will be able to keep his top players long enough to develop the system and culture he used to be able to do?
Well that’s the gamble that Archie was willing to take. We have to trust his judgement.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

What a hilarious overreaction. Something tells me you're a David Cox fan.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Welcome back DCRams! You suck and so does your take.

Anyone can play street ball and beat bad OOC teams. We watched it for years with Baron and Cox. You need a system and coaching to win in conference and make a run.

Adjusting to a system when you haven’t played in one takes time. Everyone on this team is young - and the 3 upper class men haven’t played in any coherent system their entire career.

I’d rather take losses now in the OOC in a season I wasn’t expecting an at large bid. Get this team understanding how to play in a system that we know works, that has proven NCAA success, and have them get better as the year goes on.

Your post is shit and so are you.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Anyone that was expecting immediate results wasn't working in reality.

Look at Umass - Martin brought in 3 ready to play veteran transfers (Cross/Junior, Leveque/Senior and Kante/5th year). Guys like that are very different than Weston and Tchikou who had literally no D1 experience. Those guys were ready to plug into a lineup with an All League PG (Fernandes) and a high level shooter (Weeks). And the results have been very good in the SHORT TERM. That is light years different than what Archie chose to do and is working with. Archie said in his press conference he would use the portal but was looking for guys with multiple years of eligibility (not 1 year rentals) and thinking LONG TERM. You can argue with the philosophy/strategy but Archie said what he would do and then did it. I'd bet on Archie at Rhody having a higher ceiling than Martin at Umass. But for this year Umass will be a strong team esp considering the apparent weakness of the league after SLU and Dayton.

Given that, what I think fans should be focusing on vs W/L is the development of Freeman, Weston, Tchikou. Those 3 have the potential to be star players on a future good A10 team. If we go 1 for 3 or 0 for 3 in terms of their potential the rebuild will suffer a setback. On top of that I am hoping for either Lou or Rory to show potential of being a valuable piece on a good team. And if Ish continues to perform at this level, and the guys above develop into legit talents, then next year I would be more bullish on results.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This post is actually a joke. Coaches will readily admit it's the Jimmy's and the Joe's not the Xs and Os that win games. So NO great coaches can't make weaker players win or whatever the hell that means. Try harder with the troll job. Only 1 pathetic loser here.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago In this new transfer environment and NIL money world I do question Archie’s roster construction. What makes him think he will be able to keep his top players long enough to develop the system and culture he used to be able to do?
Every coach and every program are swimming in the same pee filled pool.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

Welcome back DCRams! You suck and so does your take.

Anyone can play street ball and beat bad OOC teams. We watched it for years with Baron and Cox. You need a system and coaching to win in conference and make a run.

Adjusting to a system when you haven’t played in one takes time. Everyone on this team is young - and the 3 upper class men haven’t played in any coherent system their entire career.

I’d rather take losses now in the OOC in a season I wasn’t expecting an at large bid. Get this team understanding how to play in a system that we know works, that has proven NCAA success, and have them get better as the year goes on.

Your post is shit and so are you.
No question that is dc…
The only question is…
Is it actually David Cox?
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

why did we ban DC Rams??

his takes/trolling were great for laughs and I most definitely enjoyed you guys ripping them apart.

#freedcrams
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 year ago why did we ban DC Rams??

his takes/trolling were great for laughs and I most definitely enjoyed you guys ripping them apart.

#freedcrams
I think there is going to be plenty of frustration expressed on the board this season. No need to have an antagonist purposely stirring the pot in bad faith as well. (FWIW, this new poster seems to be a separate individual as of now.)
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 year ago
Every coach and every program are swimming in the same pee filled pool.
Because he can develop them into NBA talent and get them to win?
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL