Mitchells, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal / transferring

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Re: Malik, Leggett, Berry, Walker exploring 2022 transfer market

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago How many of these transfers would want back in if Archie is the coach?

How many of them would Archie want?
Hopefully none. They made their choice. Good luck to them.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

It won't be a rebuild if Archie gets 3 or 4 really good transfers in here to go along with 3 or 4 of our best current players like Antwan, Malik and a Mitchell (but only one). Need to get some transfer guards right away.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 2 years ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago How many of these transfers would want back in if Archie is the coach?

How many of them would Archie want?
Hopefully none. They made their choice. Good luck to them.
What??? This may be the most non-sensical out of touch thing I've read on the board in a long time. (Ignoring Rhody72's posts of course...)Image
rhodyblue12
ARD

Just my opinion. I understand the transfer landscape.
The players have a choice, and that is fine. To me, making that choice SAYS something.
You make a statement, you stand by it. Just my upbringing.
Personally, I don't care to see them back.

Equating me with 72 just because you don't agree? That's just poor.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We need a really good PG if we want to do anything going forward.

Archie knows all about that.....he needs to do it again, this time with us.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 2 years ago Just my opinion. I understand the transfer landscape.
The players have a choice, and that is fine. To me, making that choice SAYS something.

What statement did they make that they didn't stand by? They committed to play for a program run by Coach Cox by accepting a year to year scholarship. Coach Cox isn't here anymore. What's wrong with seeing if there is a program that would better fit them?
My roommate sophomore year transferred back to a school closer to home so they could continue to work a job they started over the summer. Are you upset at him?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 2 years ago Just my opinion. I understand the transfer landscape.

I disagree

These are young men just checking out the landscape, especially with all our uncertainty.

I would welcome any of them back, as long as our new coach feels they can contribute.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

They all also said that staying at URI was an option
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I agree too they are all testing the landscape in this day and age if they change their mind and want to return that’s fine
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

They all said in their statements that they left open the possibility of coming back, so coming back is part of the choice they made. Returning to URI would still be standing by their statement.
Last edited by adam914 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Nah. Time to learn a life lesson.
And who are you all defending? Our team sucked last year.
Tre and Leggett are fringe A10 players AT BEST.
Martin (actually my favorite guy on the team) was a wing that shot 29% from 3 last year and 25% this year.

Walker has value but is an undersized 4 - there are replacements for all of them.
Spare me. You all want to be the "Gonzaga of the East" but want these guys back?
Make up your minds.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 2 years ago Nah. Time to learn a life lesson.
Martin (actually my favorite guy on the team) was a wing that shot 29% from 3 last year and 25% this year.

Walker has value but is an undersized 4 - there are replacements for all of them.
Spare me. You all want to be the "Gonzaga of the East" but want these guys back?
Make up your minds.
Whether I want them back or not is irrelevant. What you said about standing by their statements is just factually incorrect.

If you don’t want them back just say that. Don’t try and make some grand statements about learning a lesson and standing by their statements.
Last edited by adam914 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Make up your minds.
What? Who am I defending? The young men who represented our University? Just admit it, your wrong with this one. Life lesson? Are you serious? What is the life lesson? You need to commit to something that you have no clue who will be in charge of, otherwise a grumpy old man behind a keyboard wont want you back???

At the end of the day, it's up to the kid and the new coach. If they want to come back, and the new coach wants them back, great. If either one wants to move on, that's the reality. That's the life lesson. You're either good enough, or you aren't. Explore what is out there, while keeping open the possibility of coming back if it makes sense for both you and the new coach.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Make up your minds.
Someone got an early start on the drinking today
rhodyblue12
ARD

So, let's see where you all stand.

You want Archie? So do I.
We can all agree last year's team was bad? Check.
But, for some reason you want to open the door for all the same players to come back? Huh?
Don't go soft on me here.

These guys putting their names into the portal is an OPPORTUNITY.
Take advantage of it and add 6 new guys that want to be here and can play to the level we need to be successful.
Is saying that out loud so offensive?

(OBTW Bos8 - you keep making ageist remarks, but I will guarantee I am younger than you are.)
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Make up your minds.
Their value would be for our new coach "Archie" to determine not you.
Maybe under new leadership, we will get different results.

Don't try and act so righteous in this case, it is a bad look.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Which part about "just my opinion" do you not comprehend?
rhodyblue12
ARD

And isn't :
"Don't try and act so righteous in this case, it is a bad look."
actually being righteous?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodyblue12 wrote: 2 years ago And isn't :
"Don't try and act so righteous in this case, it is a bad look."
actually being righteous?
Not at all.

Besides they are still here haven't left or quit school.

The door is till open, it will be up to Archie if he wants to close it.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 2 years ago Which part about "just my opinion" do you not comprehend?
And that's fine. But in my opinion, this isn't an opinion situation. This is a situation where you are wrong...
Fortunately this isn't your decision. And if the new coach (Archie or whoever...) thinks someone is good enough to help, they will re-recruit them. If he doesn't, then it's a good thing the guys got a jump on the portal. Look no further then Josh Oduro at George Mason. Similar situation at every school across the country.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Dude - I just said I don't want them back. Read the thread. You turned this into a political statement by attacking my point.
I think it is fairly obvious that I don't make the decisions on who comes back.
No big deal. We need better players. Period.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

If the coach is going to be who everyone thinks....if he wants any (or all) of those players to come back, they will. I don't care until the coach does, and if he doesn't, that's less work. PortalPalooza baby!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rhodyblue12 wrote: 2 years ago So, let's see where you all stand.

You want Archie? So do I.
We can all agree last year's team was bad? Check.
But, for some reason you want to open the door for all the same players to come back? Huh?
Don't go soft on me here.

These guys putting their names into the portal is an OPPORTUNITY.
Take advantage of it and add 6 new guys that want to be here and can play to the level we need to be successful.
Is saying that out loud so offensive?

(OBTW Bos8 - you keep making ageist remarks, but I will guarantee I am younger than you are.)
What do you think the main reason was for the team being bad this year?
rhodyblue12
ARD

A combination of horrible coaching and horrible roster construction.
We are about to fix the first and guys going into the portal is a gift that gives us a chance to fix the second.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Does anyone think that our talent was better than our record reflects?

I do. I think our talent was good enough to be a top 6 team in the A10. I actually think that the coach makes that big of a difference in college hoops.

I am sure the next will be welcoming some of these players back (if they would like to return) and would be able to get more out of them than Cox did.
rhodyblue12
ARD

While I respect you opinion, I do not think that guards that shoot 31% and 25% from three is a recipe for success.
I admit, I may be wrong.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 2 years ago While I respect you opinion, I do not think that guards that shoot 31% and 25% from three is a recipe for success.
I admit, I may be wrong.
Parfait shot 30% from 3 his junior year, and lead the conference at 52% his senior year. Seemed like a recipe for success, although we fell short of the tournament that year it wasn't because of his shooting. With the right motivation and the right coach, we could see improvement, that is if you decide to relent on your life lessons and let someone back.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

The next coach may not want any of our players in the portal back……then bye bye…..the next coach decides that once they enter the portal, no?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago The next coach may not want any of our players in the portal back……then bye bye…..the next coach decides that once they enter the portal, no?
Yes, the players take that risk once they enter the portal.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

do you think that Cox's offensive scheme and plays set up our guards to be successful?

these past year was probably the least talented we have been at guard in the past decade, there is no denying that, but is some of that the offensive scheme?

Legget definitely needs to learn not to drive into traffic and then try to throw up a prayer layup hoping for a foul, but it also did not seem like he was developed at all from last year to his sophomore year.

Sheppard's role drastically changed this year, and we saw 1 or 2 games where he was wildly successful but there were lots of times where his presence was invisible.

Ish E-A went from a productive player at a lower league, came here and it seems that he never fully understood what his role here was.

We can certainly upgrade at each position next year if we hire the right coach (and if we actually get Archie I would expect to get immediate players that are top level talent), but like I said previously, I think part of the problem was the scheme and coaching.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago
rhodyblue12 wrote: 2 years ago While I respect you opinion, I do not think that guards that shoot 31% and 25% from three is a recipe for success.
I admit, I may be wrong.
Parfait shot 30% from 3 his junior year, and lead the conference at 52% his senior year. Seemed like a recipe for success, although we fell short of the tournament that year it wasn't because of his shooting. With the right motivation and the right coach, we could see improvement, that is if you decide to relent on your life lessons and let someone back.
Let's just agree to disagree. Not sure which guy you are partial to, but there are other issues with these guys too - lack of handle, foot speed, finishing ability, time/score awareness, etc.
Again IN MY OPINION this is an opportunity.

My main point is this - if the player want to exercise their right to leave, we need to say thanks and then upgrade.
If anyone thinks this isn't a good idea, than I probably can't have a conversation with you.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 2 years ago Which part about "just my opinion" do you not comprehend?
If you don’t want them back that’s a perfectly fine opinion to have (whether I agree with it or not). My only issue was when you took shots at their character and said stuff about “learning a lesson” and “standing by their statements”. Since their statements mentioned potentially coming back, then if they did return they would literally be standing by their statements.
Last edited by adam914 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

I admit, I may be wrong.
Let's just agree to disagree. Not sure which guy you are partial to, but there are other issues with these guys too - lack of handle, foot speed, finishing ability, time/score awareness, etc.

My main point is this - if the player want to exercise their right to leave, we need to say thanks and then upgrade.
If anyone thinks this isn't a good idea, than I probably can't have a conversation with you.

Not partial to any guy in particular. I just took offense by your crazy take that these guys need to learn a life lesson because they didn't stick by there word. And now I'm confused because now it seems that it isn't a life lesson they are learning, we are just getting rid of them because they stink?
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

I admit, I may be wrong.

The issue is that roster construction isn’t as black and white as yours making it out to be.

Do we need to upgrade our roster? Yes of course. But that doesn’t get accomplished by just going “ok let’s trade 1 Malik Martin for 1 better 7th man wing”. There’s a lot of moving parts that are also determined by a competent coach who knows what he needs to put a winning team on the floor.

All in all you’re entitled to your opinion. Saying players need to learn a lesson or some shit for wanting to not sit around and hope URI hires the right coach is a boomer take
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago
If you don’t want them back that’s a perfectly fine opinion to have (whether I agree with it or not). My only issue was when you took shots at their character and said stuff about “learning a lesson” and “standing by their statements”. Since their statements mentioned potentially coming back, then if they did return they would literally be standing by their statements.
This 100%. You've completely changed your stance once it was proven that your initial stance was wrong. Should freshman also not be allowed to play, forcing them to play freshman basketball before varsity competition?
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago

The issue is that roster construction isn’t as black and white as yours making it out to be.

Do we need to upgrade our roster? Yes of course. But that doesn’t get accomplished by just going “ok let’s trade 1 Malik Martin for 1 better 7th man wing”. There’s a lot of moving parts that are also determined by a competent coach who knows what he needs to put a winning team on the floor.

All in all you’re entitled to your opinion. Saying players need to learn a lesson or some shit for wanting to not sit around and hope URI hires the right coach is a boomer take
Correct. And lets assume that Coach Cox was the wrong coach for this program. Right or wrong, why would these kids trust the school to hire the right coach when they messed it up last time? Get out ahead of things, start seeing what is out there. If they hire the "right coach" you left the door open to come back, that is unless Rhodyblue says no.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

If you're a player, for any program where the coach got axed, why would you NOT portal it? What are you gaining by not doing it?
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Because the new coach might not take you back…
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago Because the new coach might not take you back…
But they may not welcome you back anyway. Why not get a jump and see what is out there?
rhodyblue12
ARD

Show me where I ever questioned any players character? (I never said they did anything wrong, or that they were bad people, did I?) I would not do that, like ever.
I did say that they were flawed BASKETBALL players that, should we want to be successful, we need to upgrade.
Those are separate and distinct points.
All I said was, if you make a stand ("I am going to look out for myself and go into the portal") it comes with some risk that they need to accept.
We all make decisions and those decisions have consequences. That is all.

In my opinion, if I were coach, I'd say "That is your choice. It shows me you are not committed. Good luck".
I tied my statement to "I was raised that if you make a choice, stand by it". Go back and read it.
Not sure anything I said was that controversial.

Go back and read it.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodyblue12 wrote: 2 years ago Show me where I ever questioned any players character? (I never said they did anything wrong, or that they were bad people, did I?) I would not do that, like ever.
I did say that they were flawed BASKETBALL players that, should we want to be successful, we need to upgrade.
All I said was, if you make a stand ("I am going to look out for myself and go into the portal") it comes with some risk that they need to accept.

In my opinion, if I were coach, I'd say "That is your choice. It shows me you are not committed. Good luck".
I tied my statement to "I was raised that if you make a choice, stand by it". Go back and read it.

Go back and read it.
If I were a coach, if it was a good player that I wanted, I'd say, "that dude is pretty good, he can come back" and not worry about it at all. And if the players weren't very good, I wouldn't care.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Fair. Not what I would do, but I can understand that.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

rhodyblue12 wrote: 2 years ago Show me where I ever questioned any players character? (I never said they did anything wrong, or that they were bad people, did I?) I would not do that, like ever.

Go back and read it.
Except for the part where this is/was no coach they report to when they made that “choice” lol.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Last post on this - but they had teammates, no? And friends at the school?
And did they not think the next coach would be better? Come on.

Is it possible they know they under achieved and left as a pre-emptive move so as not to be let go.
That puts them in a win-win, right?
"I left the school" or "They begged me to come back".
Just a thought.

Done.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

All these players came to URI because they wanted to play for DH or DC and not because they wanted to play for URI.
NCAAs or Bust!
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Guess the twins want to stay
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I don’t think anyone questions their talent. What they need is discipline and coaching. Presumably Miller will provide that. I’m hoping Malik returns and Chance reconsiders.
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Backroads wrote: 2 years ago

Guess the twins want to stay
Heck yeah Arch will get these kids to play up to their potential, think this is good news
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I think Jalen Carey could benefit, too. Guy has loads of athleticism and was one of the few who progressed this year.
Slava Ukraini!
class of 86
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by class of 86 »

For all we know they could have entered the portal because they were getting ready to flunk out