2/12 | Davidson | 2:00PM (ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2/12 | Davidson | 2:00PM (ESPNU)

Unread post by ramster »

Makhi Mitchell had a very good and efficient game today against a strong and experienced Davidson front line.

29 minutes
  • 16 points on 5-9 FG, 1-1 3FG (URIs 1st points of the game) and 5-6 FTs
  • 11 rebounds were the Game High. Included a Game High 4 offensive rebounds as well
  • 2 assists
  • 2 blocks - including the huge block of Lee with minutes to go in the game
  • ZERO Turnovers!!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

BleedBlue87 wrote: 2 years ago People upset about their own team winning. It's truley astonishing...
I cannot imagine rooting against URI ever. I simply wouldn't be capable of doing such a thing, and I certainly know I wouldn't enjoy it.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

It’s nice to see our assistant coach firing up the team after a win. Plus adding in a player who should have way more minutes than he currently does.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
Matt Keebler wrote: 2 years ago 5BC38FE3-7742-4CFD-8817-8E2F9D7A869F.jpeg
My favorite part was the fact there were no students :)
Students can't be bothered to be this bored with sub-mediocre basketball.
Indeed!

I was wondering if it was intentional

Did they not show up because there's nothing to be excited about and it's just that bad to watch?

Or did they not show up in protest against the coach?

I mean there wasn't a single one so that makes me think it might have been organized.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…..decent piece of coaching there…….meaning the substitutions during closing out the game……..credit where it is due…….no?
Last edited by section(105) 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
BleedBlue87 wrote: 2 years ago People upset about their own team winning. It's truley astonishing...
I cannot imagine rooting against URI ever. I simply wouldn't be capable of doing such a thing, and I certainly know I wouldn't enjoy it.
Yeah, I know how you feel.
I too, can never root against Rhody.
Maybe they have a miracle stretch run in them, regardless I will always cheer them on.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

105, I remember posting that Cox should sub the Mitchells in and out late in games, to protect against them going to the FT line and blowing games.

Good coaches do that often for offense and defense purposes.....doesn't it seem like Cox finally does these things after we've complained about them over and over on this board?

However, it's taken him WAY too long to finally make changes like this.....

It's a positive step, but who knows if he will keep it up?

Now if we could get him to use his timeouts better lol......
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

My favorite part was the fact there were no students :)
Indeed!

Did they not show up because there's nothing to be excited about and it's just that bad to watch?

I mean there wasn't a single one so that makes me think it might have been organized.
You are overthinking it… this is URI students we are talking about, they are down the line or elsewhere off campus cuz it’s a beautiful weekend. Stop projecting haha
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Regardless of how nice it was out, it was still extremely shocking to see it THAT dead with how many kids live on campus.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago

Indeed!

You are overthinking it… this is URI students we are talking about, they are down the line or elsewhere off campus cuz it’s a beautiful weekend. Stop projecting haha
Yep, overthinking it.
Yesterday was 60. It was a record 63 in Providence
In Narragansett cars filled most all the parking spots on Ocean Road by noon.
URI Baseball Team had practice in the Field with quite a few people watching

Right now it’s snowing in Kingston. Supposed to snow all day and night with up to 6 inches
And dropping to single digits at night next week.

Everybody was outdoors yesterday.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …..decent piece of coaching there…….meaning the substitutions during closing out the game……..credit where it is due…….no?
Yes. Cox managed the last few minutes well. He moved Makhi and Makhel in on defense and out on offense so as to keep the best FT shooters on the floor.

He correctly anticipated McKillop fouling during the last minutes. He called a key timeout at 1:20 remaining and wanted the ball in the hands of Sheppard and Leggett for Free Throw shooting purposes.

Beat the best team in the A10, highest ranked NET win of the year, maintained the lead and closed the game out effectively.

On to the Dayton Game Monday night.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Will we see Makhi get a rebound, dribble the length of the court and throw up a brick because it was his turn to shoot?
No we will not.

29 minutes
  • 16 points on 5-9 FG, 1-1 3FG (URIs 1st points of the game) and 5-6 FTs
  • 11 rebounds were the Game High. Included a Game High 4 offensive rebounds as well
  • 2 assists
  • 2 blocks - including the huge block of Lee with minutes to go in the game
  • ZERO Turnovers!!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I counted the number of students in the student section.....only because it was REALLY easy..........54......not kidding.......I didn't include the cheerleaders, ramettes or band members be cause they HAD to be there. So, 54 students decided to attend the game today against the top team in the league.

It was a warm and gorgeous afternoon BUT 54?!? That's paltry.

Again, whoever is doing the marketing has completely failed the team, the university, the fans, and the university community. Even when the team was nationally ranked, the team was still engaging with students on campus with giveaways, etc. Remember when they were knocking on doors in dorms giving away slices of pizza or some DD swag? Maybe that's not allowed due to COVID restrictions, but get creative -- step out of the box a bit.

Obligations kept me away from the game today or else I would have gone. That being said, aside from coaching staff, we can't have some numbnuts clown running a marking program. Maybe he knows it's a joke for him and that's why? It's embarrassing how much more PC does than URI. The Marketing AD is most likely a Spectrum financed/run position, which is fine, but put some f*cking effort in!! This is 2022. Not 1998. It's really easy to post to Instagram and Snapchat. I don't even see a live Ryan Center feed on IG. Can the RC staff not even access the Wifi? FFS, this is getting more emBARONsing by the day. Did they have to reinstall a CRT TV with a VHS in the locker room?

Get rid of the Marketing AD who does nothing and hire a handful of COB undergrads or MBA students to do his job. They'd at least have tenacity.
Yes, but it was warm in Providence too, The Dunk was sold out.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Indeed!

Yep, overthinking it.
Yesterday was 60. It was a record 63 in Providence
In Narragansett cars filled most all the parking spots on Ocean Road by noon.
URI Baseball Team had practice in the Field with quite a few people watching

Right now it’s snowing in Kingston. Supposed to snow all day and night with up to 6 inches
And dropping to single digits at night next week.

Everybody was outdoors yesterday.
63 in Providence and the Dunk was sold out...
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Indeed!

They would have showed if the team hadn’t lost 6 in a row, some against really bad teams….I don’t expect strong turnouts going forward.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I counted the number of students in the student section.....only because it was REALLY easy..........54......not kidding.......I didn't include the cheerleaders, ramettes or band members be cause they HAD to be there. So, 54 students decided to attend the game today against the top team in the league.

Again, whoever is doing the marketing has completely failed the team, the university, the fans, and the university community. Even when the team was nationally ranked, the team was still engaging with students on campus with giveaways, etc. Remember when they were knocking on doors in dorms giving away slices of pizza or some DD swag? Maybe that's not allowed due to COVID restrictions, but get creative -- step out of the box a bit.

Obligations kept me away from the game today or else I would have gone. That being said, aside from coaching staff, we can't have some numbnuts clown running a marking program. Maybe he knows it's a joke for him and that's why? It's embarrassing how much more PC does than URI. The Marketing AD is most likely a Spectrum financed/run position, which is fine, but put some f*cking effort in!! This is 2022. Not 1998. It's really easy to post to Instagram and Snapchat. I don't even see a live Ryan Center feed on IG. Can the RC staff not even access the Wifi? FFS, this is getting more emBARONsing by the day. Did they have to reinstall a CRT TV with a VHS in the locker room?

Get rid of the Marketing AD who does nothing and hire a handful of COB undergrads or MBA students to do his job. They'd at least have tenacity.
I also think we’re talking apples and oranges here.

There’s a difference between a top 10 team and anything else. Not to mention URI off campus housing is 20+ min from the arena, vs 5 minutes for PC. Kids can be drunk and Uber or easily get back and forth. Not the case at URI. You’re essentially off campus or on for the weekend and don’t go back and forth
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SandorClegane wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I have never rooted for URI to lose for any reason in any sport. Those who post here as fans, root against URI in any sport are real trolls by definition. Claiming it is because of A10 teams making the NCAAT or getting a new coach is BS. GO ahead, get in a circle and defend one another!
Totally agree with this. Who gives a crap if 2 A10 teams make the tourney unless one is us…and that’s not happening this year. Not sure why people are upset with a win. Kinda weird.
Totally agree as well.
It makes no difference if 1 or 2 make the NCAA. It’s been trending towards 1 all season. So what if Davidson gets upset and goes as an At Large.
All teams in the A10 are in the same boat. Must win the Automatic Bid. That’s what URI must do - nothing has changed in that regard for months.

So URI is in the same boat with all 13 other teams.
How you can be angered, distraught, confused, divided, etc by URI beating the #1 ranked A10 team that has won 19 of their last 20 games is just plain weird.

We beat Dayton Monday night and then what? Even more distraught?

Complain students are not there. Ok and we won without them. What’s that say? We can beat the best team in the A10 without the students.

And then there is the favorite whenever we beat any team. Oh Davidson is not that good. Davidson is overrated. We should have beat them by twice as much.

David Cox had this team ready to play. And fwiw Cox showed more energy on the sidelines throughout the game than the stoic, arms crossed much of the time, Coaching Legend Mr. McKillop. Not that I agree ranting on the sideline makes much difference anyway but for those that do.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Topic that hasn’t been discussed yet:

Sheppard played great yesterday. He can be a dynamic scorer, albeit struggling through parts of this season. Truthfully think Cox has had way too short of a leash with him, offense is far worse when he’s off the floor.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

luke wrote: 2 years ago No way , Blueram I know you are a big URI fan and I know you are better than to believe this was anything but a great win . The URI players played their hearts out and they deserve better than our fans worrying about the other teams in the A 10 at this moment . Let Davidson take care of Davidson .
Dayton , not Davidson is going to win the A 10 regular season title and an at large bid to the NCAA Tournament . Davidson will probably get in too .
Regardless, at this point in time I will thoroughly enjoy this victory as a fan of URI . I will worry about the other teams when an if the are selected
for the Dance. I have to say I am shocked by all the negativity on here . Players reading the board have to be very disheartened.
I am not worried about the players reading this board, I assume they know the hole they dug by losing to UMass, GW and Fordham, on top of some poor execution at the of the first Davidson game and Richmond games. There is no reason this team could not be 7-3 in conference other then the players not playing to their potential. I am rooting for them to figure it out and go on a run, but it is not going to be easy. Shepherd waking up yesterday is big, he ended last year strong and we were starting to get a little going. Need him bigly.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago Topic that hasn’t been discussed yet:

Sheppard played great yesterday. He can be a dynamic scorer, albeit struggling through parts of this season. Truthfully think Cox has had way too short of a leash with him, offense is far worse when he’s off the floor.
Actually, I think Cox has been very fair with Sheppard up to this point.
He leads the team in average minutes on the floor.

Overall, his shooting %'s have been very poor this season (except for FT) as compared to most of the lead guards in the conference.
Also, at times he has been a defensive liability and he will get pulled when he misses assignments or not able to stay with his man.

I hope his last game is a sign of seeing better things for him going forward.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago

There’s a difference between a top 10 team and anything else. Not to mention URI off campus housing is 20+ min from the arena, vs 5 minutes for PC. Kids can be drunk and Uber or easily get back and forth. Not the case at URI. You’re essentially off campus or on for the weekend and don’t go back and forth
I drove through the campus on the way to the parking lot. There were tons of kids walking around the campus. And anyway, you're making my point. Kids don't want to see a terrible product.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

I drove through the campus on the way to the parking lot. There were tons of kids walking around the campus. And anyway, you're making my point. Kids don't want to see a terrible product.
Sure I agree generally speaking. More so I mean you’re fighting an up hill battle to get kids to care when you’re 12-10 on a 6 game losing streak

60 degree day in February? Yea no chance
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I think the weather is somewhat irrelevant. When the team's bad, people find other entertainment options - it's a trend that holds across all sports. I imagine teams with .364 conference winning percentages in Miami and San Diego, or Minneapolis and Fargo, would find it equally tough to draw people in.

As others have said, one thing that Cox changed this game vs. past games was late game substitutions. It's probably too little, too late, but it was good to see him rotating the Mitchells, Mailk Martin, Sheppard and others in and out, based on offense-defense match-ups.

Other than that, I think this game was simply some improvement (instead of regression) to the mean. We were due to (finally) have a decent day shooting and from the free throw line. We did, and Davidson shot poorly from 3-point range. I'm not really bullish on our chances of shooting 82 percent from the line going forward and 53 percent from 3-point range going forward. (And even with that in our favor, it was a one or two possession game for most of the second half.) It was still nice to get a win yesterday.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago I’m going to take time to post about the game. I’ll leave the macro view of what this could mean at season’s end alone for now.
Cox’s late game lineup management was good. That said, if you’re going to have Carey in the game late because of his athleticism and defense, you can’t have him as a primary ball handler on offense. He’s too loose with the ball.
Was I the only one thinking this when he almost turned it over, which ultimately led to a shot clock violation.
Carey drove inside with about 2 minutes to go and that is tough to do especially against a Davidson interior defense. He lost control but to his credit he stayed with it fighting for the ball, retrieved it and called a very good timeout with 1:40 to go. That left URI with 1 time out remaining.

He is improving with his turnovers, but he doesn't need to drive inside with minutes remaining imho.
If I’m not mistaken, he lost the ball in traffic in the lane, with not much time on the shot clock. There was a scrum and by the time he retrieved the ball and called timeout, there were two seconds left on the shot clock. A tipped inbounds pass out of bounds brought the shot clock to one and ultimately, there was a shot clock violation.
Of course, Carey wouldn’t have known how much time was on the shot clock when he called time out, but this ended up in a wasted time out.
To your point and mine, if he didn’t dribble into traffic in the first place, there wouldn’t have been a shot clock violation. Gotta take extra care of the ball in late game situations when you have the lead.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Agreed usually there’s signs all around campus for home games, but there was only possibly one I saw around campus for this game yesterday
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
adam914 wrote: 2 years ago Credit where its due, that's a nice win. One game doesn't change everything, but they did a lot of things well. We'll see where it goes from here.
I mean in the grand scheme of things this is a Q2 win at best. It could turn into a Q3 win with the slide Davidson will get losing to us.

It is cox’s “best” with his own guys. Which isn’t saying much.

But unless this spurns a miracle turnaround that ends in an A10 tournament win, this hurt the program long term. It’s closer to .500 by the end of the year and potentially could wind up being the reason we don’t make a coaching change and potentially extending cox.

Purgatory. The baron times are back.
If one random win at home over Davidson is the reason that we don't make a coaching change then we have much bigger issues and we're screwed either way.
I don’t think the decision will be made based on one game. I think in this post covid and political climate it will be a “body of work” discussion.

You see the official accounts tweeting about Cox’s historical standing next to…FRANK KEANEY.

So they will look at the overall record. Then go season by season.

The brand new President, who hasn’t been living in the country or connected to NCAA athletics for the past 2 decades, may not want to make waves and fire the coach 6 months into his job if he has a winning record.

A winning record this year is a step up from last year record wise. This whole “good university representative” thing could be spun as a reason to extend him for 2 more years since we’re trending in a positive direction.

So my fear is not that a Davidson win is the catalyst for a decision, I’m saying that it puts us closer to this scenario rather than the coaching change we all know we need.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago

I mean in the grand scheme of things this is a Q2 win at best. It could turn into a Q3 win with the slide Davidson will get losing to us.

It is cox’s “best” with his own guys. Which isn’t saying much.

But unless this spurns a miracle turnaround that ends in an A10 tournament win, this hurt the program long term. It’s closer to .500 by the end of the year and potentially could wind up being the reason we don’t make a coaching change and potentially extending cox.

Purgatory. The baron times are back.
If one random win at home over Davidson is the reason that we don't make a coaching change then we have much bigger issues and we're screwed either way.
I don’t think the decision will be made based on one game. I think in this post covid and political climate it will be a “body of work” discussion.

You see the official accounts tweeting about Cox’s historical standing next to…FRANK KEANEY.

So they will look at the overall record. Then go season by season.

The brand new President, who hasn’t been living in the country or connected to NCAA athletics for the past 2 decades, may not want to make waves and fire the coach 6 months into his job if he has a winning record.

A winning record this year is a step up from last year record wise. This whole “good university representative” thing could be spun as a reason to extend him for 2 more years since we’re trending in a positive direction.

So my fear is not that a Davidson win is the catalyst for a decision, I’m saying that it puts us closer to this scenario rather than the coaching change we all know we need.
That tweet was obviously prior to the 6 game skid.
I actually consider it 7 games because that last second home court victory against a bad LaSalle team felt like a loss.

I don't think this 1 victory alone will change minds.
But if the team closes out the season strong along with having a nice run in the A10T, that may lead Thorr to believe that the team is at least trending in a positive direction.

At that point, I don't think the administration would be willing to tear everything apart and start all over.

Like I say, I will continue to root for our team to play well and win, after the season let the chips fall where they may.
The final decision will be out of our control, so I am not going to let it consume me.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I had a couple of extra tickets in various sections, and I brought some friends. I was worried I wouldn't have all of us sit together since it was a Saturday against a marquee opponent. So I texted one of my buddies involved with the Ryan center/team. About 2 hours before the game, we had this text exchange.

1. Hey, just a heads up you and your friends will have no problem finding seats together
2. Thanks? Any idea why?
3. The students aren't coming, and we expect a quiet ryan center..
4. Ugh, because it's nice out?
5. No, because we suck....

Anyways, back to the game.

Cox coached a perfect game. I loved the decisions he made late with his substitution patterns. It sucks that this team is still near the bottom of the A10. We have had games like this before. Seton Hall and At VCU comes to mind. I don't believe for a second that Cox has all of a sudden figured it out.

Twins played great. It seems like things are starting to click for Makhi. Kinda like Makhel last year. When they both play well this is a dangerous team.

This is the Shep I thought we would have all season. It seems like benching him for Thomas has lit a fire under him.

Twan had another solid game.

When your team plays smart basketball, hits free throws, and your coach makes no crucial mistakes, you can win a lot..

So let's see what we can do against Dayton.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Definitely a more nuanced decision to fire a coach than this board makes it out to be. My personal opinion is Cox should be on the wrong side of the bubble regardless of yesterdays results

I’m also not going to be surprised if URI takes 2 of out 3 against Dayton/SBU/St Louis and a semi finals run in the A10 tournament that he’s still here.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think a small solid push to end the season should be worth it. But if your team has a winning record + beating the best teams in the conference it gets tough to fire a coach unless your big boosters are breathing down your neck
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

It seems to me that Cox’ teams have been streaky. Can anyone provide a list of the various win and loss streaks Cox had had in the last four years?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago It seems to me that Cox’ teams have been streaky. Can anyone provide a list of the various win and loss streaks Cox had had in the last four years?
It’ll take you 3 minutes to look up the seasons game logs for the last 4 seasons.
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago Definitely a more nuanced decision to fire a coach than this board makes it out to be. My personal opinion is Cox should be on the wrong side of the bubble regardless of yesterdays results

I’m also not going to be surprised if URI takes 2 of out 3 against Dayton/SBU/St Louis and a semi finals run in the A10 tournament that he’s still here.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think a small solid push to end the season should be worth it. But if your team has a winning record + beating the best teams in the conference it gets tough to fire a coach unless your big boosters are breathing down your neck
Screw that

4 years no tourney?

Can him.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

In 80 minutes of game action vs Davidson we have been in the lead for 60 of them.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago Definitely a more nuanced decision to fire a coach than this board makes it out to be. My personal opinion is Cox should be on the wrong side of the bubble regardless of yesterdays results

Screw that

4 years no tourney?

Can him.
Again, my point is that’s so easy for us to say.

And why Blueman is rooting against us. Cause he knows a couple good wins down the stretch actually do make a difference in what happens at the end of the season. Even if everyone here doesn’t want to believe it
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago It seems to me that Cox’ teams have been streaky. Can anyone provide a list of the various win and loss streaks Cox had had in the last four years?
It’ll take you 3 minutes to look up the seasons game logs for the last 4 seasons.
OK. Took about 10 minutes.

18-19 6 game win streak

19-20. 10 game win streak

20-21. Lost 6 of last 7. (The 1 win was on 2 OTs)

21-22. 6 game losing streak. (1 win in last seconds or could have been 7.)

I would call that streaky and it’s good only if you’re winning. Definitely not trending in the right direction.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago

18-19 6 game win streak

I would call that streaky and it’s good only if you’re winning. Definitely not trending in the right direction.

Was only two years, but it seems ages ago we were a legitimate 8 seed during the Covid season before the late season meltdown.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

18-19 6 game win streak

Was only two years, but it seems ages ago we were a legitimate 8 seed during the Covid season before the late season meltdown.
Yeah but in the end it didn't matter, no post season.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..agree that if that scenario you describe verifies, Cox will be here next season………I will be beyond surprised if we take the 2 of the 3 you offered………..
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

Why did Sheppard ride the pine for about the first NINE minutes of the second half ? Even the announcers were looking for him , speculating that he was hurt !
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Screw that

4 years no tourney?

Can him.
So you would have "canned" DH.
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
Screw that

4 years no tourney?

Can him.
How about Al Skinner?

Of Cox's 4 years only 3 years they had an NCAAT.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago

……..agree that if that scenario you describe verifies, Cox will be here next season………I will be beyond surprised if we take the 2 of the 3 you offered………..
I think the biggest problem with this team (players and coaches) is they easily could win 3 of 3 of those games or 0 of 3. We have the talent to compete with anyone in this conference. But also the lack of cohesion to lose to anyone
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I think the biggest problem with this team (players and coaches) is they easily could win 3 of 3 of those games or 0 of 3. We have the talent to compete with anyone in this conference. But also the lack of cohesion to lose to anyone
Cause they are all transfers?
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

Cause they are all transfers?
Maybe. Impossible to say for sure, and likely a combo of multiple things. There’s definitely other teams out there that have made transfers work (to varying degrees)

Point being is I have no gripes with a coach building an entire team through the transfer portal, even if it feels weird. I care about results. Make the tourney with 5 walk ons starting? Be my guest
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

18-19 6 game win streak

More like 💩 streaky.
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Screw that

4 years no tourney?

Can him.
Please..... thats as bad a troll as you can get, even for your standards. You could see what Hurley was "building" here, the way the team took on his personality, the level of player he recruited, it wasn't if we'd be relevant, it was when, not to mention the state of the program he inherited. Everything about DC is the complete opposite.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Shinze88 wrote: 2 years ago
Screw that

4 years no tourney?

Can him.
Please..... thats as bad a troll as you can get, even for your standards. You could see what Hurley was "building" here, the way the team took on his personality, the level of player he recruited, it wasn't if we'd be relevant, it was when, not to mention the state of the program he inherited. Everything about DC is the complete opposite.
Not sure 72 was trying to compare Cox to Hurley.
I think he was saying that you just can't use 4 years as the only determining factor.

I pointed out the same using Skinner as an example.
The state of the program was pretty good when he took over coming off a Sweet 16.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
I think he was saying that you just can't use 4 years as the only determining factor.
Sure you can. Most contracts at the start are for 5 years.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Sure you can. Most contracts at the start are for 5 years.
Of course they are, so what?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Screw that

4 years no tourney?

Can him.
Lol i knew someone would come at me with that stupid argument.

What did Dan take over?

7-24

A program devoid of hope

10+ years away from being the the tournament and like zero players.

Cox? The back to back A-10 Champs, best recruiting class in the country etc etc...