2/21 | George Washington | 11:30AM (NBCSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Re: 2/21 | George Washington | 11:30AM (NBCSN)

Unread post by Rhody22 »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody22 wrote: 3 years ago Anybody still going to defend Cox?
Yes. He’s been brutal at so many times this year. He didn’t miss 2 dunks and 7 layups from point blank while being 6’10”. Mitchell had a horrible game. Get over it
OK Mrs Cox... David did nothing wrong and coached one hell of a game. The players let us down...
kmillr
Abdul Fox

Unread post by kmillr »

RI_Bred wrote: 3 years ago Difficult pill to swallow. But we've had a lot of practice so it should be getting easier for all of us by now.
I feel us gelling pretty soon...
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

One final thank you to the coach! I am out again.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago Other than with his mouth did Walker make an appearance today? Last 4 minutes of the game we are invisible starting with Cox slowing it down resulting in a pray at the end of the shot clock. Did Walker ever get the ball down low other than once early in the game? Think he could have been effective there but we did not even look at that possibility.
Yes he led the team in turnovers including a crucial one to seal the loss. Sometimes I swear people here don’t watch the game they just watch the scorebug and then come post
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Fatts did not record one assist in the last 16 minutes of the game
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago If I’m mad at anything it’s the Dayton win.

Like I would’ve rather lost out and started a coaching search than have that meaningless win to follow it up with this loss.

Lose out and start over with a new coach or go to the NCAA with an auto bid. In between is Baron and I’m really over that at this point in my life.

Suck hard or win out. Mediocrity is the absolute worst.
Agree 100%. We almost certainly have another year of this shit barring another exodus.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody22 wrote: 3 years ago
Yes. He’s been brutal at so many times this year. He didn’t miss 2 dunks and 7 layups from point blank while being 6’10”. Mitchell had a horrible game. Get over it
OK Mrs Cox... David did nothing wrong and coached one hell of a game. The players let us down...
Cox was irrelevant to this game (good or bad) in my opinion. Sometimes it’s fun to actually understand why your team sucked instead of being a robot and reposting “I hate my coach” semi-weekly
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The way we lose these games is maddening we had an 8 point lead and we promptly blow it to a crap team who hasn't played in 35 days , Cox needs to go
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago Other than with his mouth did Walker make an appearance today? Last 4 minutes of the game we are invisible starting with Cox slowing it down resulting in a pray at the end of the shot clock. Did Walker ever get the ball down low other than once early in the game? Think he could have been effective there but we did not even look at that possibility.
He was barely in the game at the end sooo
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

How does Walker only get 22 minutes? Carey 11???
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Then don’t try to feed him the ball down 1 with a minute and half left - worst FT shooter on he team at that. If that was the call from the bench it is a problem. If that was just Antoine’s choice to force that turnover, it is a problem. Down 1, Fatts or Ish drive to the hoop for foul. That is the f’ing play. I would have taken Makhel out for a stretch when he was sucking. Go small for a few minutes even though that is not what the scouting report said to do.

Does not bother me that the game was close, GW was hitting contested 3s down the stretch, it happens. We needed to pull that out at the end but played listlessly AGAIN!
Donrxer79
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Donrxer79 »

Why is it that every time I watch this team I feel they have no spirit for the game or their play.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Joe95 wrote: 3 years ago Fatts did not record one assist in the last 16 minutes of the game
Ah I knew people would somehow try and pin this on Fatts.
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Up 5 with 430 to go and they outscore us 15-2 to end the game
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
Then don’t try to feed him the ball down 1 with a minute and half left - worst FT shooter on he team at that. If that was the call from the bench it is a problem. If that was just Antoine’s choice to force that turnover, it is a problem. Down 1, Fatts or Ish drive to the hoop for foul. That is the f’ing play. I would have taken Makhel out for a stretch when he was sucking. Go small for a few minutes even though that is not what the scouting report said to do.

Does not bother me that the game was close, GW was hitting contested 3s down the stretch, it happens. We needed to pull that out at the end but played listlessly AGAIN!
Because as much as he sucked today he’s light years better then GWs bigs. It was a massive mismatch hence why you keep going to it. I don’t think any coach game plans around their 6’10” power 5 big being unable to score from under the basket
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
Joe95 wrote: 3 years ago Fatts did not record one assist in the last 16 minutes of the game
Ah I knew people would somehow try and pin this on Fatts.
Not a pin, just a fact that seems pretty important considering how well Fatts played in the first half.
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

Cox was irrelevant to this game (good or bad) in my opinion. Sometimes it’s fun to actually understand why your team sucked instead of being a robot and reposting “I hate my coach” semi-weekly

The head coach is responsible for the team. If the team is performing poorly, it is his responsibility to make corrections/adjustments. He did nothing of the sort. How many turnovers did we have lobbing the ball down low? But we kept going to it. They were double and teaming Mitchell On those entry passes. Come up with a play to move the ball around and find the open man. Bishop and Battle were killing us and I didn’t see Us doing anything different to try to stop them. If it was just this game, I’d give Cox a pass. It wasn’t just this game unfortunately.
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

I’m not pinning anything on Fatts at all just stating a fact. Clearly Rhody got away from what was working to start the second half.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Do we want our roster the next 3 years or GWs?

Give me Bishop Battle and Lindo and GWs roster without question. Those 3 are legit.
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......but the defense is good.....yeah right......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DigB
Michael Andersen

Unread post by DigB »

College players are just kids. None of them can cause a loss.

At face value, this team has a good balance, post players vs guards, defense vs offense, and rebounding. The last ingredient to winning is floor leadership and coaching. That's what caused this loosing season.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'm just about done with this garbage.

No use wasting time watching it either.

Maybe someone can PM me when Cox is fired.

SOON.
Donrxer79
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Donrxer79 »

Seems we were playing so much better at a faster pace, why the slow down which seemed to play right into GW's hand.
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Needed more Fatts Walker in the second half.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DigB wrote: 3 years ago College players are just kids. None of them can cause a loss.

At face value, this team has a good balance, post players vs guards, defense vs offense, and rebounding. The last ingredient to winning is floor leadership and coaching. That's what caused this loosing season.
“None of them can cause a loss.”

Are you high? Drunk? Both?

Those college kids literally play the game and either win or lose games.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ......but the defense is good.....yeah right......
Top 40 defense in the country according to Kenpom. But I’m sure it’s more fun to just lie to yourself
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Repeat of my post after the UMASS debacle:

I hope all the “we can make a run in the A10 tournament” posts will end now.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

The head coach is responsible for the team. If the team is performing poorly, it is his responsibility to make corrections/adjustments. He did nothing of the sort. How many turnovers did we have lobbing the ball down low? But we kept going to it. They were double and teaming Mitchell On those entry passes. Come up with a play to move the ball around and find the open man. Bishop and Battle were killing us and I didn’t see Us doing anything different to try to stop them. If it was just this game, I’d give Cox a pass. It wasn’t just this game unfortunately.
I let a lot of shit on this board not piss me off, because it’s just emotional reaction to things happening

You my friend pretending a coach should make an “adjustment” to one of the best bigs in the conference missing 7-8 layups/dunks is where I draw the line. It’s math my man. You make those and you’re winning this game by double digits. Stop making up nonsense
Last edited by KingstonLane 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......yeah but, we don’t play face value, nor talent on paper, nor perceived match ups......we play within the 94 ft for 40 minutes.......and that is what is causing the loosing season......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Donrxer79 wrote: 3 years ago Seems we were playing so much better at a faster pace, why the slow down which seemed to play right into GW's hand.
Because Cox does it all the time! He learned that from Dan, which didn't work then either.

Everything that Cox does comes back to bite him, problem is he keeps doing it!
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

When we dictated the pace, we were in control. With them having only 7 players available and us having 10 (like Cox likes) wouldn’t it have made sense to try to press them? Speed up the game which would be to our advantage? We have plenty of athletes to play uptempo and press full court yet we only do so down 5+ with under a minute to play.
kmillr
Abdul Fox

Unread post by kmillr »

I dont know may the GW coaches made adjustments...what a novel idea!!
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ......yeah but, we don’t play face value, nor talent on paper, nor perceived match ups......we play within the 94 ft for 40 minutes.......and that is what is causing the loosing season......
I’m pretty sure that was just gibberish
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ......but the defense is good.....yeah right......
Top 40 defense in the country according to Kenpom. But I’m sure it’s more fun to just lie to yourself
.......I was waiting for something like this, thanks......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago
You didn't know our identity is our defense?
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
DigB
Michael Andersen

Unread post by DigB »

We were allowed to play hard D, rebound, and run in the first half. GW made adjustments at the half. We started the 2nd with 2-3 offensive fouls and turnovers. The game slowed down, and our offense dried up. At the end, our frustration kicked in.

We should have made 2nd half adjustments.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Disappointing how we finished this game compared to Dayton.

No excuses for losing this game. GW was undermanned with only 7 scholarship players available, several key players out and the midseason transfer of 3 players. This is only their first game game back after 35 days on pause and they outplayed and outcoached us. Disgraceful performance.

GW will have nice building blocks for next season with Bishop, Battle, and Lindo.

I think with our performance today and inconsistencies all season, our outlook for the A10T is very dim, regardless of who we play.

As I said before, early on I was very optimistic about next season, not so much anymore.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago

.......not, guess not, but Kenpom did....my bad
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Carey AB Martin Harris ALL in together? What are we doing here?
Playing this lineup is a fireable offense. Apparently Cox forgot he shouldn't play a 10-man rotation.
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

I let a lot of shit on this board not piss me off, because it’s just emotional reaction to things happening

You my friend pretending a coach should make an “adjustment” to one of the best bigs in the conference missing 7-8 layups/dunks is where I draw the line. It’s math my man. You make those and you’re winning this game by double digits. Stop making up nonsense

I agree that it wasn’t Cox missing those bunnies that would’ve easily won us the game but maybe try something different. Maybe have him find the open man when he’s double teamed.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

kmillr wrote: 3 years ago
I dont know may the GW coaches made adjustments...what a novel idea!!
I did notice that Christian put Lindo on Fatts late in the game and his length seemed to bother him a little. Those are the types of in game adjustments many posters are looking for from Cox, which is not an unreasonable ask.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......did I hear Don, talk about the Duquesne game re-opening their renovated center?.......with our game with them......oh joy.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

.......not, guess not, but Kenpom did....my bad
Ah yes. The KB posters who are smarter than analytics. Do you yell “shoot” at hockey games too? Or walk out of the theater during Moneyball? It ain’t 1985 anymore gramps
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I'm beyond frustrated. The number of times they have failed to put teams away when they could have over the past few years is staggering. You just can't be up 5 with 4:30 to play, then let your opponents close on a 17-2 run. We should be doing that to others, not letting them do it to us. This was a more than winnable game. When they took a 51-44 lead midway through the 2nd half, you can't let them score 8 straight. You put them away then and there. You'd think after coming back from down 18 to Dayton, they wouldn't let something like this happen. I know this stuff happens to every team, good, and bad on occasion, but it's uncanny how often this team does it. Instead of the win against Dayton potentially being a catalyst, it is now merely one of very few bright moments in a poor season. I'm trying to find good here if I can. Fatts, 1 rebound from a triple double had a great game. Leggett again is looking great!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago .......did I hear Don, talk about the Duquesne game re-opening their renovated center?.......with our game with them......oh joy.......
It's been open for a few weeks now. Opened in their home game vs Dayton I believe.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I agree with 22.

It's not smart to continue to force it to Mitchell or run the offense through him when he's having a horrible game. It's just like when Cox benches someone that is red hot like he did with Malik Martin and Antwan Walker. On paper, Mitchell was a matchup nightmare for GW. Unfortunately, he was completely off, so you try to adjust.

Walker played 21 minutes. Did he have some bad moments? Absolutely. Should he have played only 21 minutes? Absolutely not. He certainly would have helped our rebounding, and he can finish well around the hoop. He had that nasty dunk on the fast break and when we played fast we were running them off the court. GW dictated the pace late, which killed our chances.

GW only had so many bodies and looked exhausted near the end of the game. Why we didn't attempt a full-court press made absolutely no sense to me. Had we done that and worn them down, we hopefully could have had some turnovers that led to easy baskets. We had trouble scoring, so getting easy baskets from our defense could have helped. Instead, we continued to let Bishop go left whenever he wanted, and Battle light us up from deep over and over again.

We just lost to a 3-9 GW team with barely any players. No excuses.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago Repeat of my post after the UMASS debacle:

We absolutely still can.

We probably won’t.

For my own mental sanity I’m trying the kool aid despite a mountain of evidence to the contrary.

I’m on the bandwagon til the wheels fall off and the season is officially over.

Lose out and leave in the first round? I’m on the fire the coach train. Love the guy and want him to be successful, but if we lose the rest it’s clear it’s an issue at the top and when you look at the last 3 years, Dowtin masked a lot of problems.

However. Despite these issues, we could still win the tournament. It makes no sense but we could.

TL;DR - I’m an emotional mess and pretty numb at the moment, but my brain is doing all it can to keep me on the bandwagon.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Obviously, an excellent finish against Dayton the other night, but on the whole, we have to be one of the worst teams in the country in the first and last five minutes of a game. I’ll let others pontificate as to why. Many will point to one person, and the buck does stop with leadership, but there is more than one reason.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago Repeat of my post after the UMASS debacle:

We absolutely still can.

We probably won’t.

For my own mental sanity I’m trying the kool aid despite a mountain of evidence to the contrary.

I’m on the bandwagon til the wheels fall off and the season is officially over.

Lose out and leave in the first round? I’m on the fire the coach train. Love the guy and want him to be successful, but if we lose the rest it’s clear it’s an issue at the top and when you look at the last 3 years, Dowtin masked a lot of problems.

However. Despite these issues, we could still win the tournament. It makes no sense but we could.

TL;DR - I’m an emotional mess and pretty numb at the moment, but my brain is doing all it can to keep me on the bandwagon.

Dude. We cannot win the A10 tournament. Just stop.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Go Rhody
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

I agree with 22.

It's not smart to continue to force it to Mitchell or run the offense through him when he's having a horrible game. It's just like when Cox benches someone that is red hot like he did with Malik Martin and Antwan Walker. On paper, Mitchell was a matchup nightmare for GW. Unfortunately, he was completely off, so you try to adjust.

Walker played 21 minutes. Did he have some bad moments? Absolutely. Should he have played only 21 minutes? Absolutely not. He certainly would have helped our rebounding, and he can finish well around the hoop. He had that nasty dunk on the fast break and when we played fast we were running them off the court. GW dictated the pace late, which killed our chances.

GW only had so many bodies and looked exhausted near the end of the game. Why we didn't attempt a full-court press made absolutely no sense to me. Had we done that and worn them down, we hopefully could have had some turnovers that led to easy baskets. We had trouble scoring, so getting easy baskets from our defense could have helped. Instead, we continued to let Bishop go left whenever he wanted, and Battle light us up from deep over and over again.

We just lost to a 3-9 GW team with barely any players. No excuses.
- don’t go to Mitchell when he’s having a bad game BUT
- go to walker when he’s having a bad game

The rest of your post is irrelevant. You can’t contradict yourself like that and expect to be taken seriously