2/10 | Saint Louis | 9:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 2/10 | Saint Louis | 9:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Can’t believe we’ve become the exact thing we thought we escaped
JushinThunderLiger
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by JushinThunderLiger »

I’m a long time lurker on this board, but enough is enough. I’ve only been following since 2013 but this team is the worst of the worst. There’s no promise or identity. It’s sickening to watch.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I am looking forward to a follow up Morey article after this game.
Mobley was fouled.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 3 years ago My favorite part of the game was when Carey came in and instantly turned the ball over

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That describes every game he's played this year.
I still don't understand how he had such a high 247 rating. Is this just a confidence issue?
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 3 years ago Jermaine Harris is now 5-45 from 3 in his career. 356 more till he catches Jimmy Baron.
Great tweet from our Mr. Koch:

Jermaine Harris was 4-44 in his career from 3 prior to that make.

Great result. Can't explain why the attempt allowed. #URI

rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Also Bertrand shoving away his teammate helping him up was tough to watch
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

RI_Bred wrote: 3 years ago I am looking forward to a follow up Morey article after this game.
His tweets are on point.

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

rhodysurf wrote: 3 years ago Also Bertrand shoving away his teammate helping him up was tough to watch
Yea what was that?
GO RAMS
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

RhodyRams916 wrote: 3 years ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 3 years ago My favorite part of the game was when Carey came in and instantly turned the ball over

I still don't understand how he had such a high 247 rating. Is this just a confidence issue?
Could be, same with Harris.
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rhodysurf wrote: 3 years ago Also Bertrand shoving away his teammate helping him up was tough to watch
Speaking of Bertrand.

Check his numbers this year compared to his numbers at Towson.

His FG, 3PG, FT and Rebound percentage is the worst of his career.

Including scoring 8 less points than he did last year at Towson.

Yeah he is playing tougher opposition in the A-10, however, he did score 18 pts against GW and 13 against St Joes last year... While putting up 14 points against Florida and 12 against Xavier. Also scored 31 against Drexel.

Yet somehow here, a year older, which means another year of basketball training, this guy is just a 5 point a game scrub.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I missed Betrand do that , who did he shove away ??

Ish had a tough game but he will rebound

Sad state of affairs for our URI Rams
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

reef wrote: 3 years ago I missed Betrand do that , who did he shove away ??

Harris.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Second game in a row I turned it off minutes into the 2nd half.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I didn't even watch it.

Nothing changes, so why?

Thorr has a decision to make.

Should be easy once he sees the empty Ryan next season.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

RI_Bred wrote: 3 years ago I am looking forward to a follow up Morey article after this game.
His tweets are on point.

I mean this is somewhat inaccurate. URI is a top 30 defense per Kenpom - hard to argue that’s anything but good.

Obviously there’s two sides to basketball. Offense has been brutal to come by.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago I didn't even watch it.

Nothing changes, so why?

......yep, tickets for some January games I will have difficulty giving way.......one thing is fan base being pissed, angry, disappointed, hurt, etc.......but a whole other thing with fans moving into the don’t care, numb, stage.......I am now in the later stage......you?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Another disappointing performance

The poor body language on our players shows lack of team chemistry, which is a concern.

No offensive flow, just a lot of dribbling, one on one play, and forced shots.
Also whenever we inbound from underneath our basket, Fatts takes the ball dribbles outside and when time starts to run out forces a fade away 3. I rarely or at all see any designed plays in these situations.

I get so disgusted at times during these games, I sometimes need to tune out and walk away for a bit.

I didn't expect an NCAAT bid this year, but I certainly thought we would be better than what we are.

After some early optimism about our chances next year, I don't expect much improvement, unless this team can drastically turn things around.
Our backcourt next season is a huge concern, may rank at the bottom of the conference.
Rhody's assist/turnover stat (11.7 apg/ 15 topg) is the worst in the A10 and close to the bottom of all Div1.

The inexperience of our staff is really showing and is reflective of our team's play.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago I didn't even watch it.

Nothing changes, so why?

I stopped watching also. Forgot they even played. Just checked the score now and was surprised they only lost by 7. No idea what happened. I use to know everything about this program. They are now like a tree falling way out in the woods. No one cares
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 3 years ago Jermaine Harris is now 5-45 from 3 in his career. 356 more till he catches Jimmy Baron.
Great tweet from our Mr. Koch:

Jermaine Harris was 4-44 in his career from 3 prior to that make.

Great result. Can't explain why the attempt allowed. #URI

My response to that tweet was something like, "that was definitely a no...no...YES!" moment.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

Harris.
In Betrands defense, he was laying on the floor riving in pain and Harris came to try and rip him up. He pushed him away because it hurt him. No one’s fault, I just don’t think Harris realized he was injured.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
steviep123
Sly Williams

This really was a winnable game. They got up 8 early by moving the ball around, seemingly having a plan, then it disappeared. After a 13-0 run by Rhody, they allowed a 19-5 run by SLU to close the half. Inexcusable. I know hoops is a game of runs, but man, they show flashes of well run plays here and there, but no consistency. Fatts finding Betrand for the corner 3 is an example of the good - we need more of that and less street ball.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

SandorClegane wrote: 3 years ago

Harris.
In Betrands defense, he was laying on the floor riving in pain and Harris came to try and rip him up. He pushed him away because it hurt him. No one’s fault, I just don’t think Harris realized he was injured.
Agreed - I was thinking to myself at the time, "Give him a minute"
Bleed Keaney Blue!

SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago
His tweets are on point.

I mean this is somewhat inaccurate. URI is a top 30 defense per Kenpom - hard to argue that’s anything but good.

This. Any takes about their defense being poor are flat wrong. SLU is a high-octane offense and Rhody held them to 1.00 points per possession.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago
His tweets are on point.

I'm not going to pretend to watch every minute of every game, but perhaps he's speaking to tempo?

Against UMASS, who plays at the 24st fastest tempo in the country, the game played at 74 possessions, which would indicate the game was played at UMASS's pace.

They go to Dayton, who plays at the 326th fastest tempo in the country, and the game is played at 62 possessions, which would indicate the game was played at Dayton's pace.

The play Fordham, who plays at the 333rd fastest tempo in the country, and the game is played at 62 possessions, which wound indicate the game was played at Fordham's pace.

St Louis normally plays at an average tempo, and last night was played at an average tempo. Not sure who that favors since URI's season average is basically playing at an average tempo.

I don't interpret what Morey was saying as a shot that their defense is bad, but that other teams are controlling the pace that the game is played at, which can ultimately lead to some comfort both offensively and defensively.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

There's something to be said about being able to defend well at any pace, certainly. But agree with the point that they don't impose a style/tempo and haven't all year.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

When I think of URI basketball identity, I always think of an in-your-shirt, taking charges style of defense that just overwhelms opponents. But while URI's defense is ranked 30th this year in KenPom, their defensive turnover percentage is 17.6%, which equates to 264th in the country, and their non-steal turnover percentage is 8.2%, ranks 312th in the country. In the last 9 years (start of Hurley), the teams turnover percentage has ranked as following (from 2013 to present): 190-232-24-126-121-6-73-58-264. Their non-steal turnover percentage ranks as follows: 84-93-11-52-168-13-147-227-312. There are some identity stats for you, at least defensively. And that's not to say they are a bad defensive team, but I don't think of it as your typical Rhody style of play, which kind of makes sense with so many new bodies.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It was the immediate tangible thing that went away when DH left. The first time we hit the court with DC you could see our defense wasn't as intense and disruptive as it was under previous regime.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Unfortunately, the armchair quarterbacks on this board, have better solutions to our problems than the guy who URI's paying 700K a year has.

I just don't see some magical turnaround coming, with so many issues this team and coach have.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I don't know how you can watch this team and say our identity is our defense.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago I don't know how you can watch this team and say our identity is our defense.
Agreed. I think RJ's post nailed it.

Morey's not referring to "defense" necessarily but the pace/style of play of the other team.

Hurley's best teams imposed their will on a consistent basis night in night out.

We are yet to impose our will on anyone. We are a weak team that shows up like a teddy bear ready to be thrown around, rather than a team that wants to play a certain way.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago When I think of URI basketball identity, I always think of an in-your-shirt, taking charges style of defense that just overwhelms opponents. But while URI's defense is ranked 30th this year in KenPom, their defensive turnover percentage is 17.6%, which equates to 264th in the country, and their non-steal turnover percentage is 8.2%, ranks 312th in the country. In the last 9 years (start of Hurley), the teams turnover percentage has ranked as following (from 2013 to present): 190-232-24-126-121-6-73-58-264. Their non-steal turnover percentage ranks as follows: 84-93-11-52-168-13-147-227-312. There are some identity stats for you, at least defensively. And that's not to say they are a bad defensive team, but I don't think of it as your typical Rhody style of play, which kind of makes sense with so many new bodies.
I think your point about the turnover percentage is a good one. In the past, I imagine the Hurley teams probably turned opponents over more, which led to opportunities in transition. URI might be playing good positional defense right now, but it matters less if the end result is simply more opportunities for our poor halfcourt offense. (Like, it's nice to have that good D, but it ultimately doesn't matter because we don't have enough efficient scorers and shooters on offense.)
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Harris.
It was more about the expression on Betrand's face. It was like......get the fuck away from me.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

This team is like the bad news bears. Or The longest yard.
GO RAMS
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago

Harris.
It was more about the expression on Betrand's face. It was like......get the fuck away from me.
Agree, Harris was trying to help him up, and Betrand gave him shit. I guess Betrand's stellar play has allowed him to cop an attitude.

last night's performance was repulsive.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago This really was a winnable game. They got up 8 early by moving the ball around, seemingly having a plan, then it disappeared. After a 13-0 run by Rhody, they allowed a 19-5 run by SLU to close the half. Inexcusable. I know hoops is a game of runs, but man, they show flashes of well run plays here and there, but no consistency. Fatts finding Betrand for the corner 3 is an example of the good - we need more of that and less street ball.
Consistency is doing something for some time...so, players that are playing well...would need to play together longer to be consistently good.
But, you just can't let that get in the way of the predetermined minutes menu.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I thought we played decent the first 15 minutes against a quality team .

We can play decent defense for stretches then it just disappears something DH wouldn’t stand for
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Watched Belmont last night. Not that they're world beaters or anything (they are pretty good though), but they play an offensive game that is totally foreign to us URI fans. It involves guys actually throwing the ball to other guys on their own team, more than once, on the same possession. It works. We should try it.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

I can... he is a high major athlete. With a scout watching only selected portions of your game, a highlight dunk, or a showtime block can be eye opening. Especially at the high school level, he was probably able to blow by most anyone and even finish above taller defenders. That's what makes his performance increasing frustrating, as he seems like he has a ton of potential.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago

What throws me off about Harris is his energy level. I remember watching him in high school, and his relentless motor stuck out to me. Built like a grown man, he was very tough to keep off the glass and finished around the rim.
Even early on in his career, this was the case. Remember it seemed like every game early on he was in major foul trouble? Now I watch, and it seems like his whole energy is different. Would love to see him get back to that relentlessness that he had displayed.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Bos8 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago

What throws me off about Harris is his energy level. I remember watching him in high school, and his relentless motor stuck out to me. Built like a grown man, he was very tough to keep off the glass and finished around the rim.
Even early on in his career, this was the case. Remember it seemed like every game early on he was in major foul trouble? Now I watch, and it seems like his whole energy is different. Would love to see him get back to that relentlessness that he had displayed.
Motor is something impossible to teach and at least while he’s been in Keaney Blue his motor has never looked good to me. His early years foul trouble were usually being late to a hedge or out of position for a rebound and being lazy. Never saw him in HS. I do think he has some ball skills but has never shown the motor and intensity to pair it with. For me he kinda looks like the big athletic kid someone convinced to try basketball.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Harris is powerful and skilled ,but so slow. He brings the ball down so low after a rebound and turns it over. Last season he showed some nice pick and roll action ,but I feel like this staff doesn’t work with him enough.
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

JH is very raw with his back to the basket he always throws up an awkward shot would rather just see him take an open 15 footer I think he could hit his share but he is an obvious underachiever considering his HS rating

Carey I have no clue on he does look athletic but can’t shoot and is a walking turnover. He is much worse now than he was in the first 5 games or so