Tyrese Martin (URI ---> UConn)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TheGhostOfDH
Abdul Fox

Re: Tyrese Martin

Unread post by TheGhostOfDH »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
ram1980 wrote: 4 years ago I find it amazing that he has heard from so many schools the day he enters the portal. Thats B S.... There is definitely tampering going on and the NCAA could care less.. Starting to get the who cares about college sports like I now have for pro sports.. and I have always been a sports junkie..
I said the same thing.

If Louisville wants him, that’s where he will go.

Do we honestly see him succeeding in the ACC?

Not that our opinion matters at all, but wouldn’t he be like the 4th option on a perennial Top 7-15 program in America?
Samir Doughty, who as a freshman at VCU had similar freshman stats as Martin. Transferred to Auburn (sat sophomore year)and did about 8 points per game junior year and 16+ this year. Martin is larger, more physical but not as quick as Doughty, and likely could compete in the ACC.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Yes, Tyrese can PLAY in the ACC. Of course he can, he is a good player. He is not a starter with 30+ mins a game. Going to the ACC will not increase his profile.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I CALLED IT LAST YEAR

CUT BAIT
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Unlikely in my opinion.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Could have had pitino

THINK BIG DO WE

NOPE !

FOOLS
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago Could have had pitino

THINK BIG DO WE

NOPE !

FOOLS
Dude, get over it. Really.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

I was proven right

CUT BAIT

I would never get over it

THEY ALL
HATE COX
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

I BLEED KEANEY BLUE
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

I wonder what fans will have more fun next year ?.. Iona or Rhody ?

My money is on Iona
BleedBlue87
ARD

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago I BLEED KEANEY BLUE
Annoying is more like it.
BleedBlue87
ARD

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago

This is just crazy that you have to re-recruit every year. What a strange thing this college basketball.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

BleedBlue87 wrote: 4 years ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago I BLEED KEANEY BLUE
Annoying is more like it.

Annoying is when we can’t keep any players coach cox

Do yourself a favor and block me and good riddance
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago I wonder what fans will have more fun next year ?.. Iona or Rhody ?

My money is on Iona
Iona is the answer. There will be nothing fun about Rhody’s season next year
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Cox on re-recruiting and not being able to do so right now.....

Most other A10 programs don't seem to be having the same problems....what's different about us?

Anyway, having to re-recruit to keep a player here year to year isn't a good sign whatsoever.

Maybe a player or 2 a year...but geez it seems like most of the team needs to be baby sat.

Wonder if Cox needs to talk to Jacob and Jermaine to stay?
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I disagree with a lot of the opinions that Tyrese won’t get big P5 offers. He’s a 6’6 wing with athletic ability that can shoot. I would equate his upside very similar to Eric Williams who transferred to Oregon. I think he’ll be fine and just had bigger aspirations.
That being said, I’m really bummed at this news. I thought he was going to be all A10 his next two years. I don’t think it’s fair to blame anybody, because you don’t really know the rationale as to why he transferred. Like many on the board feel, I think this is the new normal. Might be college basketball’s demise. This sucks.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

I mean - I get online here for the 1st time all day to this brutaL news and I am Effin pissed

APOLOGIES FOR SHOWING SOME
ITALIAN VINEGAR

I BLEED KEANEY BLUE
BleedBlue87
ARD

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago I mean - I get online here for the 1st time all day to this brutaL news and I am Effin pissed

APOLOGIES FOR SHOWING SOME
ITALIAN VINEGAR

I BLEED KEANEY BLUE
It's because you do it in multiple posts time after time. Why not post one post with all your anger in it instead of having multiple posts from you (that add nothing of nothing significant to the discussion) to dig through. I don't mind that you're pissed. Why do you have to bitch in several different posts one right after another though?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well a couple guys here [and we know who they are] are confident that Cox will land some good talent in the next 2-3 weeks.
They need to be right.

Cox's future depends on it.

And our sanity.

To add, if someone needs to visit in order to commit here, it could be a LONG wait.

Just adds to the frustration.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

It’s called raw emotion

We are all pissed

I called this Last year

You need a big name
Coach to
Get and
Hold
Big
Time
Recruits

Had the chance to get. HOF coach and we spot the bit

ECR OUT
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

JimSidd wrote: 4 years ago

As for Rhody, one can help what’s going on with the staff, but I’ll leave that to others. I think in the short term, Cox needs to go full Mussellman and hit the transfer portal hard.
Two words.... Portal Palooza
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Maybe quite a few wanted Pitino, but the one guy that mattered is Dooley.

And he wanted no part of it. We never had a chance.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Well a couple guys here [and we know who they are] are confident that Cox will land some good talent in the next 2-3 weeks.
They need to be right.

And our sanity.

To add, if someone needs to visit in order to commit here, it could be a LONG wait.

Cox needs to change his face time recruiting philosophy and get his ass on the phone and get commitments from these “Saviors”.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Well a couple guys here [and we know who they are] are confident that Cox will land some good talent in the next 2-3 weeks.
They need to be right.

And our sanity.

Does it matter who commits if the odds are they will just transfer out???

Our 5 open spots are most likely going to end up being 6 if not 7 open spots. There is ZERO positive spin to any of this! Something is wrong inside the Ryan center. And its not just the wifi or lack of practice facilities. It appears to be coaching style Cox hetter start learning fast.
Last edited by FDshoes 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I can see him contributing to a mid level P5 team, but not being the second or third leading scorer and averaging 30 minutes a game. If he goes to a bottom feeder P5 team like Nebraska, this could happen, but have fun going 5-15 in the conference.
If he transferred solely to boost his profile for a professional career, that’s a mistake. Scouts can find players anywhere and the predraft camps and workouts are becoming more important these days.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago
They need to be right.

And our sanity.

Cox needs to change his face time recruiting philosophy and get his ass on the phone and get commitments from these “Saviors”.
The staff is in touch, that’s a guarantee, but kids and families want to visit.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago
They need to be right.

And our sanity.

The staff is in touch, that’s a guarantee, but kids and families want to visit.

"The staff" needs to figure out what they are doing wrong.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ram1980 wrote: 4 years ago I find it amazing that he has heard from so many schools the day he enters the portal. Thats B S.... There is definitely tampering going on and the NCAA could care less.. Starting to get the who cares about college sports like I now have for pro sports.. and I have always been a sports junkie..
I said the same thing.

If Louisville wants him, that’s where he will go.
Good luck to him if he ends up at Louisville, he will get exposed there
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

(Yes I said I was done with Tyrese but sue me, we’re in a quarantine.)

Since Louisville has been mentioned, let’s use the most recent A10 - Louisville comparison we can.

Lamar Kimble, guard from St Joes, averaged 37 minutes, 16 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 40% from the field and 29% from 3 in his last year at St Joes.

This year, at Louisville, Kimble averaged 18 minutes, 5 points, 2 rebounds, 3 assists, and shot 36% from the field and 28% from the field.

Grass ain’t always greener.
Go Rhody
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

It’s real nice in Tempe...
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Not a good move in my opinion. He's likely getting some really bad advice. These families of these players I feel are trying to ride the coat tails of what they likely see as a potential star relative that could make money in the NBA or whatever if they got more exposure at a different school. That's my guess. If that's the case, it would be doing these kids (Martin, Long, etc) a huge disservice. These are GOOD players, not GREAT players bound for the NBA. It doesn't matter if they play at URI or somewhere else. They ONLY WAY in my opinion that they will be a star and reach the NBA is if they work hard and become more consistent. The name on the jersey doesn't matter in college basketball. Plenty of Kentucky and Duke players never reach the NBA.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Just caught a quick IG live with Tyrese and Fatts.

Tyrese was egging Fatts on saying “make the announcement bro, make the announcement, let em know, drop hints.”

Fatts was laughing saying “no announcement, no announcement.”

Tyrese shot down going to Temple when Fatts brought it up. Fatts also brought up Louisville and asked Tyrese if he thought the rule would pass.

Tyrese said he thought it wouldn’t, Fatts said he’d be bored sitting out and Tyrese goes “I won’t be bored, I’ll finally be able to live my life.”

Someone else in Fatts’ video in the background said “ain’t gonna need this Rhody t shirt no more” or something along those lines.
Go Rhody
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Just caught a quick IG live with Tyrese and Fatts.

Tyrese was egging Fatts on saying “make the announcement bro, make the announcement, let em know, drop hints.”

Tyrese shot down going to Temple when Fatts brought it up. Fatts also brought up Louisville and asked Tyrese if he thought the rule would pass.

Tyrese said he thought it wouldn’t, Fatts said he’d be bored sitting and Tyrese goes “I won’t be bored, I’ll finally be able to live my life.”

Someone else in Fatts’ video in the background said “ain’t gonna need this Rhody t shirt no more” or something along those lines.
Everything true except that last part is completely wrong. Fatts said he would a give a URI tank top to the person in Reses’s video but he said he didn’t want it.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DevRam wrote: 4 years ago

Tyrese said he thought it wouldn’t, Fatts said he’d be bored sitting and Tyrese goes “I won’t be bored, I’ll finally be able to live my life.”

Everything true except that last part is completely wrong. Fatts said he would a give a URI tank top to the person in Reses’s video but he said he didn’t want it.

The one line that stood out the most was Tyrese saying “I’ll finally be able to live my life.”
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

All that sounds awful
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago Well, it doesn't sound like we are considering this departure an opportunity for roster improvement.

It's almost to the point where we should stop recruiting HS players and go the Musselmann route of transfers only. If the new rules kick in they only get one transfer.

IMO this is why you need to find a way to somehow keep the kids that play important roles (the Longs and Tates and Hammonds). I know it's not easy but the Coach is right about "re-recruitment".

We will need more than just beer in the seats next year.

No wonder they were hitting us up for season ticket renewals a few weeks ago.
One word: PortalPalooza
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago Well, it doesn't sound like we are considering this departure an opportunity for roster improvement.

It's almost to the point where we should stop recruiting HS players and go the Musselmann route of transfers only. If the new rules kick in they only get one transfer.

IMO this is why you need to find a way to somehow keep the kids that play important roles (the Longs and Tates and Hammonds). I know it's not easy but the Coach is right about "re-recruitment".

We will need more than just beer in the seats next year.

No wonder they were hitting us up for season ticket renewals a few weeks ago.
One word: PortalPalooza

I don’t think I could care less about how we get players (legally obviously.)

JUCo, up transfers, down transfers, freshman.

Give me the best 12 scholarship players possible each November and I’ll be happy.
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago All that sounds awful
Yea, it was quite eerily watching it. I didn’t enjoy it.
Go Rhody
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Tyrese said he thought it wouldn’t, Fatts said he’d be bored sitting out and Tyrese goes “I won’t be bored, I’ll finally be able to live my life.”

The live my life line was in reference to COVID.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The live my life line was in reference to COVID.

There is absolutely nothing from that live exchange that would tell anyone that line was remotely related to the virus, but if you have some inside information from 7 minutes ago when it was live, so be it. Gotta take you at your word.
Go Rhody
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

It was a joke.

I really don’t give a fuck about Tyrese or his IG.

Good luck to the kid, but back to supporting the kids that are still here.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

My hot take is that Fatts told Tyrese he is leaving. Tyrese didn’t want to waste his last two years here knowing there wasn’t enough talent on the roster to make a tournament run so he cut bait.

...plus maybe he just wasn’t enjoying playing for Cox.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

That was the weirdest thing perhaps any set of URI players have ever done on the internet.

Why would you do that? In years past, URI players have always made it known how much they love the school, love the fans, etc. We obviously have to take them at face value, mind you, we have no reason to doubt their sincerity. But what did that video show? What was it intending to show?

I hope Fatts stays. I think he will stay, based on nothing in particular. But if he bolts, that video will be one of the most surreal, bizarre things ever to come down the pike, and we had Lamar Odom here, so that's saying something.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago That was the weirdest thing perhaps any set of URI players have ever done on the internet.

Why would you do that? In years past, URI players have always made it known how much they love the school, love the fans, etc. We obviously have to take them at face value, mind you, we have no reason to doubt their sincerity. But what did that video show? What was it intending to show?

I hope Fatts stays. I think he will stay, based on nothing in particular. But if he bolts, that video will be one of the most surreal, bizarre things ever to come down the pike, and we had Lamar Odom here, so that's saying something.
Yup, watching that I was like uhhh what is going on here???

Hated watching that.
Go Rhody
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

15, I shouldn't make assumptions. Nothing ever good comes from my assumptions.

That being said, if I had to make an assumption off of strictly that... I'm guessing Fatts isn't going to "announce" because he is going to test the waters with the NBA and then make a decision after that. I don't think he is going to another college team, but it's not exactly rock solid he's playing here next year either.

6 potential scholarships? Hence the move to get a commit from Gage for insurance?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago 15, I shouldn't make assumptions. Nothing ever good comes from my assumptions.

That being said, if I had to make an assumption off of strictly that... I'm guessing Fatts isn't going to "announce" because he is going to test the waters with the NBA and then make a decision after that. I don't think he is going to another college team, but it's not exactly rock solid he's playing here next year either.

6 potential scholarships? Hence the move to get a commit from Gage for insurance?

But doesn’t every player announce they’re entering the draft / testing the waters? They have to submit paperwork, so my guess is we’ll see a tweet from someone that he’s entered his name into the draft.
Go Rhody
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

Butler is after Martin hard. Not sure who else he’s considering.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

15, that sounds about right. I admit, I don't know what the process is. Still trying to wrap my head around that video.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

PCFriars wrote: 4 years ago Butler is after Martin hard. Not sure who else he’s considering.
Well, that might work out of you then.

At Butler, he may actually play without a huge drop off in minutes.

Wait until he's clanking 5 outside shots a game and throwing the ball out of bounds on three lazy no look passes and not finishing near uncontested fast break layups. Or, he could have an epiphany and turn into an all star. Who knows.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PCFriars wrote: 4 years ago Butler is after Martin hard. Not sure who else he’s considering.
I’ve weirdly always had a dislike for Butler, probably because every year they’re talked up so much yet end up being overrated.

I have zero problem with the BE (obviously don’t like PC) unlike others on this board, but Butler to me is overrated almost every year.
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Whomever coached him is going to have to get him to play defense and stop being lackadaisical out there. He has the talent but needs to be coached