URI Transfer issues

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: URI Transfer issues

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I just need some good news, like a Tres Berry commitment. That would help.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago DC, I just hope the recruits that Cox is hoping to land can look past what's happening...that's all.
Me too!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago

What’s your angle? Can we have a discussion?
Just didn't like the take that the low salary pool for assistants was to blame and I feel like this contradicts that take on top of it.
That was in response to people have some concerns about the makeup of the staff and why we have the makeup that we do.

That’s why I keep iterating the blame goes FULL CIRCLE. More money for better assistants aids in better recruiting net.
I read the "spoiled lemons" post like you were scapegoating the assistants. Maybe that wasn't your intent.

My personal position is the problem isn't who's leaving, it's who's being brought in. The value of being a member of this "family" (their word, not mine), needs to be restored.
[/quote]

Not my intent. I meant that holistically.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I never heard that Mading was dismissed... It must have been pretty bad if no one is saying what it was
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ask any kid on campus about Mading as has been said multiple times since he departed
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

rhodysurf wrote: 4 years ago I never heard that Mading was dismissed... It must have been pretty bad if no one is saying what it was
"pretty bad" YUP!
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Can someone message me abt the particulars with mading? I knew initially from someone well informed that it’s was for some bad choices but never got anything else.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago
rhodysurf wrote: 4 years ago I never heard that Mading was dismissed... It must have been pretty bad if no one is saying what it was
"pretty bad" YUP!
That’s why sometimes the discussions about the players potential and whether we should have kept said player or not are sometimes irrelevant. It’s sometimes not about basketball.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago Can someone message me abt the particulars with mading? I knew initially from someone well informed that it’s was for some bad choices but never got anything else.
I would like to know as well. Please someone DM.
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Ditto on mading
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago Can someone message me abt the particulars with mading? I knew initially from someone well informed that it’s was for some bad choices but never got anything else.
Ditto. Please do same regarding Tate.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Can someone please just DM everyone with the inside scoop on every player that ever left?
Don't post it...just DM everyone, and we'll all promise not to tell. Thanks.
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Good plan nyg
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Just post it. Who cares.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago Just post it. Who cares.
I care, because at the end of the day, these are young men who are entitled to privacy. Their personal bad decision making doesn’t need to be posted on this forum.

1. For their sake
2. For families of recruits who might just stop in and read these boards.

Suffice it to say, Mading and Tate are not here because of them and not because of coaching issues.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago
SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago Just post it. Who cares.
I care, because at the end of the day, these are young men who are entitled to privacy. Their personal bad decision making doesn’t need to be posted on this forum.

1. For their sake
2. For families of recruits who might just stop in and read these boards.

Suffice it to say, Mading and Tate are not here because of them and not because of coaching issues.
At times, we all need to be reminded that we are mature adults. I don’t know why saying something is serious, is enough. Especially when talking about young adults.

While we are at it, let’s all share our deepest darkest secrets that our jobs and families may not be so keen to turn a blind eye to.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I posted the reason about Tate, and it was posted for a while until it was taken down.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bos8 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago Removed on April 2

This is a major problem. When guys get on message boards/social media and make proclamations that guys will start/get major playing time. And when it doesn't instantly happen, the player (or their parents, or their old coach, or their "handler") get restless. Think that parents/aau coaches/players themselves don't read the board? Unrealistic fan expectations can cause inflated sense of worth.
Have you ever seen freshman practice. I've been at practices where top ranked freshman couldn't look more lost. Whether it is the intensity of the practice, the lack of particular skills, confusion on the amount of x and o's, learning a different system etc etc. There are a myriad of reasons why freshman struggle. But when a kid doesn't "Trust the process" because his head has been filled about how things will be given to him, that is where the disconnect happens.

And I don't mean to jump on you ramster. You may very well be right. I remember leaving ISH's AAU practice last spring very impressed, and I was excited when we signed him. He certainly could start. But a definitive statement before a guy even walks across his high school stage throws me off. I remember people on this message board (Ok maybe it wasn't this message board, it may have been the Projo board) stating that Jonathan Cruz should start at PG (!) before the season started! What if we land a stud 6'4 grad transfer? Ish would be competing in the back court with 3 guys who have graduated high school a minimum four years before he did and have adjusted to college practice, college tempo, the weight room, college work, film etc etc.
Bos,
I get your point. I have removed my comments. Please remove my comment from yours as I cannot since you quoted me.
Here is what can happen:
1)Player is rumored for being recruited - comments both negative and positive get posted, many questions asked
2)Player opts to not pick URI, picks let's say Tulane instead - comments get more towards negative
3)Player opts to leave Tulane and reopen recruitment - comments become more positive
4)Player opts to pick URI - comments become more positive and previous negative comments get criticized

So I agree family and friends read this. So in this case negative comments should be removed. But this can only be done by the original poster or by a moderator. I have seen player double digit times.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago

This is a major problem. When guys get on message boards/social media and make proclamations that guys will start/get major playing time. And when it doesn't instantly happen, the player (or their parents, or their old coach, or their "handler") get restless. Think that parents/aau coaches/players themselves don't read the board? Unrealistic fan expectations can cause inflated sense of worth.
Have you ever seen freshman practice. I've been at practices where top ranked freshman couldn't look more lost. Whether it is the intensity of the practice, the lack of particular skills, confusion on the amount of x and o's, learning a different system etc etc. There are a myriad of reasons why freshman struggle. But when a kid doesn't "Trust the process" because his head has been filled about how things will be given to him, that is where the disconnect happens.

And I don't mean to jump on you ramster. You may very well be right. I remember leaving ISH's AAU practice last spring very impressed, and I was excited when we signed him. He certainly could start. But a definitive statement before a guy even walks across his high school stage throws me off. I remember people on this message board (Ok maybe it wasn't this message board, it may have been the Projo board) stating that Jonathan Cruz should start at PG (!) before the season started! What if we land a stud 6'4 grad transfer? Ish would be competing in the back court with 3 guys who have graduated high school a minimum four years before he did and have adjusted to college practice, college tempo, the weight room, college work, film etc etc.
Well Bos8 many of our absurdly prolific posters have insisted that the targets of their love/hate don’t read what is said about them here on the forums.

They do read it, their coaches read it, their parents and families read it and their friends read it. Relevant media members read it. All of it.

Carry on...
hrstrat57,
I have removed my post.
Can you please removed my comments from yours so that nobody can read it? I cannot since you quoted it.
Thanks
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Encore, Bos!!!
DC_Rams,
I have removed my comments from my post and I have asked Bos8 and hrstrat57 to do the same as they quoted my comments.

I went back to the recruiting thread and remove any comments that can be construed as negative over the 14 pages in his recruiting thread.

I suggest you do the same since you had negative comments on page 1 of the 14 page recruiting thread.
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

So I think the comment depends on what it says. Negative is saying something like, "his game sucks" or "he's not very good." Non negative comments on a player you may not appreciate are a long the lines of, "I don't think his style of play would fit our system" or "he needs to add some muscle" - I don't see much wrong with positive constructive criticism.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

You’re a good man Ramster.

I’ve made this point to seemingly deaf ears for years as I know for a fact players and coaches have followed forum comments in the past.

We get excited and sometimes angry about events surrounding our team but walking away from making extremely negative comments by just leaving the keyboard for a few minutes is good for the program. This current group of new players, family and friends probably knows many of us by our handle.

Paid employees of the university are worthy targets, student athletes not so much.

My take anyway.

Go Rhody
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I don’t even know what we were talking about anymore. What am I supposed to removing and why?

This thread isn’t aging well, because if you look at the transfer portal, a lot of team seems to averaging 3-5 transfer.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago This is the problem when the parents hold the upper hand in their kids future. Instant gratification. Kids don’t want to develop the old fashioned way anymore. It’s pathetic. Benches across the country will have revolving doors. We will be an attractive destination for our recruits. Minutes available. I think we upgrade the roster.
Pats self on back...this aged rather well.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago I don’t even know what we were talking about anymore. What am I supposed to removing and why?

This thread isn’t aging well, because if you look at the transfer portal, a lot of team seems to averaging 3-5 transfer.
Because Bos8 did not care for my comments about Wood so I removed them. You said Encore, Bos!!! so I am going with your comments about how "Family and Friends read this shit". So I also went back in the Wood recruiting thread and removed any comments that could be negatively interpreted. I can't remove where someone quoted me since I don't own the comment so I am asking others to remove ay negatives from me in the Wood thread. You have negatives on page 1 of the Wood thread so to be consistent I'd think those should be removed but of course that is up to you.. Just telling you what I did. Anyone wants my opinion on a player they can pm me. I've seen him play in double digit number of games.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago I don’t even know what we were talking about anymore. What am I supposed to removing and why?

Because Bos8 did not care for my comments about Wood so I removed them. You said Encore, Bos!!! so I am going with your comments about how "Family and Friends read this shit". So I also went back in the Wood recruiting thread and removed any comments that could be negatively interpreted. I can't remove where someone quoted me since I don't own the comment so I am asking others to remove ay negatives from me in the Wood thread. You have negatives on page 1 of the Wood thread so to be consistent I'd think those should be removed but of course that is up to you.. Just telling you what I did. Anyone wants my opinion on a player they can pm me. I've seen him play in double digit number of games.
What made you wake up and decide to do this? You aren’t the only person that does this. I understand you doing your part, but your only putting scotch tape over a bullet wound at this point.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

ramster is not pulling his negative takes because he feels compelled ethically. He, instead, is tired of being bullied by those of us that don't like the negative takes directed at players. His vitriol comes across while he is insisting the rest of us scour our archives of any negative comments about players/recruits.

take it easy ramster, you were really locked in on how over-rated Wood is in your opinion, that's fine, we just wanted you to understand that we all knew how you and slim felt and the two of you were on a binge, it was really mucking the kids thread up and not the majority opinion of the board. Those of us that experience sympathy understand how deflating it can be for a kid to read that stuff over and over from fans of the school where you just committed. Between yourself and slim, you probably made 50% of the posts in Woods thread, all questioning his game, it was beyond the point of cruel. Imagine yourself in his spot.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I’m not deleting anything.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

ramster is just over-reacting to Gio, who wasn't even specifying anyone, just commenting, in generalities, about the overall amount of negative take in that particular thread.
Go Rhody!!!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago ramster is just over-reacting to Gio, who wasn't even specifying anyone, just commenting, in generalities, about the overall amount of negative take in that particular thread.
Who are you to be telling everyone on the board what or how I think?
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

lol I should have included a

Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

relax ramster, this being stuck at home thing sucks for everyone, gio wasn't calling you out, so the drama and theatrics aren't entirely necessary.
Go Rhody!!!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

What made you wake up and decide to do this? You aren’t the only person that does this. I understand you doing your part, but your only putting scotch tape over a bullet wound at this point.
DC_Rams,
You, me and Slim had all seen they guy play. Many comments were when we were first recruiting him, then he went Tulane then to URI. Funny how negative observations are fine and welcome after a guy leaves for Tulane or a guy transfers FROM URI. Then the floodgates open.

I defended Jermaine Harris as much or more than anyone here. I have never seen a URI Player take the repeated beating he did. Why? Because posters said he did not live up to the hype. Hype from some who don't know what they are talking about rating him too high. Then he gets killed because he did not live up to what people said we were getting. Who cares. Don't take it out on him how people rated him.

So for this player we are discussing, he was 4-star, ranked Top 100 ESPN, Same thing I could see coming. Over rated and then KP Posters get all bent out of shape because he did not live to the hype.

So I removed my comments that came from watching with my own eyes. I did not agree with the Rankings. But no more. I will still go to many AAU games, many HS Games and I'll keep my observations to myself. Will offer by PM only.

I thought through there are several windows of time:
Initial Recruiting window when multiple teams looking at a player
Period when Recruit has narrowed down to 3-8 teams
Period when offer accepted and attends URI
Freshman year when initial assessments are done by posters
Career while playing at URI
Period after player transfers

So I decided to not post what I think about a prospective recruit's performance as I watch him. It's my opinion and I'll keep to myself

Others can do what they want

You had negatives on this player. I suggest you remove them for the same reasons you tell others not to do it. It's your choice to do what you want
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago ramster is not pulling his negative takes because he feels compelled ethically. He, instead, is tired of being bullied by those of us that don't like the negative takes directed at players. His vitriol comes across while he is insisting the rest of us scour our archives of any negative comments about players/recruits.

take it easy ramster, you were really locked in on how over-rated Wood is in your opinion, that's fine, we just wanted you to understand that we all knew how you and slim felt and the two of you were on a binge, it was really mucking the kids thread up and not the majority opinion of the board. Those of us that experience sympathy understand how deflating it can be for a kid to read that stuff over and over from fans of the school where you just committed. Between yourself and slim, you probably made 50% of the posts in Woods thread, all questioning his game, it was beyond the point of cruel. Imagine yourself in his spot.
I responded to DC_Rams.

I went back through the 14 pages and removed any comments that could be construed as negative. To be honest I did not find too many. Most of my posts were game results. But mine are gone.

Anyone wants my thoughts on a recruit that I have watched play pm me. Ramster out.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

DC_Rams,
You, me and Slim had all seen they guy play. Many comments were when we were first recruiting him, then he went Tulane then to URI. Funny how negative observations are fine and welcome after a guy leaves for Tulane or a guy transfers FROM URI. Then the floodgates open.

I defended Jermaine Harris as much or more than anyone here. I have never seen a URI Player take the repeated beating he did. Why? Because posters said he did not live up to the hype. Hype from some who don't know what they are talking about rating him too high. Then he gets killed because he did not live up to what people said we were getting. Who cares. Don't take it out on him how people rated him.

So for this player we are discussing, he was 4-star, ranked Top 100 ESPN, Same thing I could see coming. Over rated and then KP Posters get all bent out of shape because he did not live to the hype.

So I removed my comments that came from watching with my own eyes. I did not agree with the Rankings. But no more. I will still go to many AAU games, many HS Games and I'll keep my observations to myself. Will offer by PM only.

I thought through there are several windows of time:
Initial Recruiting window when multiple teams looking at a player
Period when Recruit has narrowed down to 3-8 teams
Period when offer accepted and attends URI
Freshman year when initial assessments are done by posters
Career while playing at URI
Period after player transfers

So I decided to not post what I think about a prospective recruit's performance as I watch him. It's my opinion and I'll keep to myself

Others can do what they want

You had negatives on this player. I suggest you remove them for the same reasons you tell others not to do it. It's your choice to do what you want
Respect and Kudos.

I’m not deleting anything, though.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Ramster out.
Not good! ramster's going to transfer. Why else would he put "ramster out"? I bet it's tampering, being poached by FriarFaithful. /s
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Seems to me that a player that could have his school choice swayed by a message board of internetwits (new word, feel free to use it), might be..."soft" and should consider Richmond?
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I heartily endorse “internetwits” as a new word. It describes most of us well.
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago Seems to me that a player that could have his school choice swayed by a message board of internetwits (new word, feel free to use it), might be..."soft" and should consider Richmond?
It's not rocket surgery that Gints Fan comes up with internetwits.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Awesome 208!
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago I heartily endorse “internetwits” as a new word. It describes most of us well.
Being shocked that a 17/18/19 year old kid is concerned about what is said on social media/the internet? You must not interact with that age demographic much...
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Unfortunately, the linked article probably is a good indicator on the future of URI with regards to transfers. Would think all this turnover and chaos will likely eventually turn many fans away.

5 potential effects if the NCAA passes a one-time transfer exception
April 12, 2020 by Jon Rothstein
https://collegehoopstoday.com/index.php ... exception/
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The effect that stood out to me: that it would be the end of program building.

Since players will be coming and going every year for most schools, it will be on the staff of each school to get the most out of their talent in any given year.

If you've got a great coach that can get a bunch of strangers to play together in a short time frame, that's great.

If you don't, you're going to suck.

Coaches like Coach K and Calipari have proven they can do that, of course with 5 star talent.

Going to be a LOT tougher with the level of talent we get.

Even someone like Hurley will suffer.

The programs that can keep their players from constant turnover will succeed for the most part....the ones that can't [see: URI] will not.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago The effect that stood out to me: that it would be the end of program building.

Since players will be coming and going every year for most schools, it will be on the staff of each school to get the most out of their talent in any given year.

If you've got a great coach that can get a bunch of strangers to play together in a short time frame, that's great.

Coaches like Coach K and Calipari have proven they can do that, of course with 5 star talent.

The programs that can keep their players from constant turnover will succeed for the most part....the ones that can't [see: URI] will not.
It's a zero sum game. At the end of every season, the aggregate winning % in D1 basketball will still be .500. This idea that team building is dead is absurd and just an overreaction to what is going on in front of our face. Like I mentioned before, it is harder for Coach K to win than 30 years ago. Duke is a weigh station on the way to the NBA. Gonzaga, San Diego State, Creighton, Dayton were all in the last AP poll top 10.
Stephen F Austin, Liberty, East Tenn State, Belmont got votes. This paradigm shift should benefit URI long term if we have the right coach. You know who was on the 1998 Kansas team that URI beat? Junior Paul Pierce, senior Raef Lafrentz, etc. That's just to get to the second weekend! The roster turnover sucks but I think this should be a net positive (the tree tops view of things) going forward.
JFrech21
Jeff Kent

Unread post by JFrech21 »

I let this sink in, and like most of you I was pissed off when hearing the news. We are all emotionally attached, way more than the student/athletes and even way more than the staff/admin, but after a full night here are some thoughts (random but thought this would be the best place for them):

1. I can't blame the players for leaving if a better opportunity is there for them. They have to do what's best for them, it's their life and career. To put it in another way, if my dream was to be a Wall Street analyst and make millions of dollars but after high school the only school that accepted me was CCRI, I would go there, work hard and hope better Business Programs would be available to me next year. If URI was an option the following year I would go there. (Googles top business schools in the country) If Stanford or Penn were options the following year I would go there. It's not necessarily the same exact thing, but this is their lives that they are considering. Also, they are getting advice from all over the place and most of these people don't necessarily come with the best intentions.

2. It's Cox's job to put the best possible team together year in and year out. If there's no continuity that's okay, if he feels he is putting his best possible team together. Getting 4 year players are a thing of the past. We don't like it but that's reality. Every year we are going to see a handful max of returning players. His job is to find transfers, freshmen, grad transfers, etc. every year to compete best he can. The fact that we have a high number of transfers this year does not mean that things are in shambles in the program. He's been the head coach for 2 (1.75 really) seasons here. New coaches have more turnover typically, then add in the new rules, quarantine, etc. and it's a bit of a perfect storm here.

3. I will be at the Ryan Center next year (God willing) and also a couple of road games and hopefully in Brooklyn to watch them play. I will get pissed, excited, emotional, happy, sad along the way. I've been doing it for 35 years or so and I will continue.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

JFrech21 wrote: 4 years ago I let this sink in, and like most of you I was pissed off when hearing the news. We are all emotionally attached, way more than the student/athletes and even way more than the staff/admin, but after a full night here are some thoughts (random but thought this would be the best place for them):

1. I can't blame the players for leaving if a better opportunity is there for them. They have to do what's best for them, it's their life and career. To put it in another way, if my dream was to be a Wall Street analyst and make millions of dollars but after high school the only school that accepted me was CCRI, I would go there, work hard and hope better Business Programs would be available to me next year. If URI was an option the following year I would go there. (Googles top business schools in the country) If Stanford or Penn were options the following year I would go there. It's not necessarily the same exact thing, but this is their lives that they are considering. Also, they are getting advice from all over the place and most of these people don't necessarily come with the best intentions.

2. It's Cox's job to put the best possible team together year in and year out. If there's no continuity that's okay, if he feels he is putting his best possible team together. Getting 4 year players are a thing of the past. We don't like it but that's reality. Every year we are going to see a handful max of returning players. His job is to find transfers, freshmen, grad transfers, etc. every year to compete best he can. The fact that we have a high number of transfers this year does not mean that things are in shambles in the program. He's been the head coach for 2 (1.75 really) seasons here. New coaches have more turnover typically, then add in the new rules, quarantine, etc. and it's a bit of a perfect storm here.

3. I will be at the Ryan Center next year (God willing) and also a couple of road games and hopefully in Brooklyn to watch them play. I will get pissed, excited, emotional, happy, sad along the way. I've been doing it for 35 years or so and I will continue.
I think what hurts here is that Obi Toppin could have spurned Dayton for that better business school but he chose to remain at Dayton for his 2nd year. As National POY he showed you can be National POY an at A10 school and go NBA as a top 3 Lottery Pick. Jacob could have followed a similar path at URI. Were people in his ear about other opportunities? Sure. Just as they were even more so with Obi.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

JFrech21 wrote: 4 years ago I let this sink in, and like most of you I was pissed off when hearing the news. We are all emotionally attached, way more than the student/athletes and even way more than the staff/admin, but after a full night here are some thoughts (random but thought this would be the best place for them):

I think what hurts here is that Obi Toppin could have spurned Dayton for that better business school but he chose to remain at Dayton for his 2nd year. As National POY he showed you can be National POY an at A10 school and go NBA as a top 3 Lottery Pick. Jacob could have followed a similar path at URI. Were people in his ear about other opportunities? Sure. Just as they were even more so with Obi.
You can't compare the two. Obi would have had to sit a year, which he already did as a RS Freshmen and as a Post Grad in HS. Jacob could be eligible immediately...even if he's not he's okay with going the Obi route and taking a year off to physically mature.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Gonebarongone wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago The effect that stood out to me: that it would be the end of program building.

It's a zero sum game. At the end of every season, the aggregate winning % in D1 basketball will still be .500. This idea that team building is dead is absurd and just an overreaction to what is going on in front of our face. Like I mentioned before, it is harder for Coach K to win than 30 years ago. Duke is a weigh station on the way to the NBA. Gonzaga, San Diego State, Creighton, Dayton were all in the last AP poll top 10.
Stephen F Austin, Liberty, East Tenn State, Belmont got votes. This paradigm shift should benefit URI long term if we have the right coach. You know who was on the 1998 Kansas team that URI beat? Junior Paul Pierce, senior Raef Lafrentz, etc. That's just to get to the second weekend! The roster turnover sucks but I think this should be a net positive (the tree tops view of things) going forward.
There are 353 Teams in D1 today and there will be 353 after the rule change.
353 Teams with “kids today” as well.

Some teams are losing a lot of players, some an average amount, some almost none

But the key is the level of player that is leaving

Looking at many players it’s about lack of playing time - makes perfect sense for player and team

URI graduated Jeff Dowtin and Cyril Langevine. Two great A10 Players who were models for the URI Players, Coaches and Fans. Long, Martin and Toppin were in the 8 man rotation. Now only Russell, Walker and Harris remain. It’s strange to lose 3 members of an 8 player rotation that was already reducing by 2 seniors graduating.

In any case, Cox must compete against the other 13 A10 teams and the other 352 D1 Teams. They all have the same transfer rules and “kids today” environment. Year 3 will tell a lot.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, losing fringe players is fairly normal. We all know that.

But we've lost 2 that would have gotten a LOT of minutes next season.

That's not normal. And that's a problem.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Rothstien says everything I thought of when I heard about the possibility of the no penalty transfer rule.
The Pwer 5 programs will pillage the mid majors. The mid majors to a degree will pillage the lower schools.
Tampering will be a constant thing. Even if you recruit the lower rated diamond in the rough, as soon
as they start to blow up they will become a target and most probably be gone. The eighteen year old
brain still has an undeveloped frontal lobe. It's a known fact that young men at that age for the most
part don't consider long term consequences. Combine that with the Gen Z mentality and their need
for instant gratification and this is a recipe for f'ing disaster for schools like URI. It will destroy
the college game as we know it. It totally sucks!!!