NET 2019-2020 Season

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: NET 2019-2020 Season

Unread post by ramster »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody Guy wrote: 4 years ago Toppin is not a Lottery pick. will go mid to late first round. Lets be real here.
Friendly wager?
Toppin has moved from #6 to #4 in the NBADraft.net Mock Draft from just 2 days ago.

44A8D801-2B01-4F06-B86C-6F21A54E303E.png

https://www.nbadraft.net/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Melo said tonight he is resting until the draft
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Melo said tonight he is resting until the draft
reef, is this a real thing? lol can't be
How does not competing at a high level for the team your on help your draft position?
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

There is zero chance the LaMelo Ball ends up being good.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Rhody Guy wrote: 4 years ago Toppin is not a Lottery pick. will go mid to late first round. Lets be real here.
Friendly wager?
Guess you haven’t been watching the draft boards, he’s a consensus top 10 pick
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago There is zero chance the LaMelo Ball ends up being good.
This is a wild take, kid is going to be better than his brother ever could be.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody NET up to 62 after NT WKU wins.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Joe95 wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago There is zero chance the LaMelo Ball ends up being good.
Nobody from that crazy ass family will end up being worth a shit at anything or there is no meaning in the universe. They aren’t wired right.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Melo said tonight he is resting until the draft
reef, is this a real thing? lol can't be
How does not competing at a high level for the team your on help your draft position?
I believe he hurt his foot and was going to be out a month so I guess LaVar made a business decision and thinks it’s best not to risk further injury and dropping his draft slot. He is slated to go top 3 so maybe not the worst decision for him ???
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
Nobody from that crazy ass family will end up being worth a shit at anything or there is no meaning in the universe. They aren’t wired right.
Hate to tell you, but there is no meaning in the universe. Lonzo is already a *competent* player in the league playing 30 mins/game. No way he was worthy of a 2nd pick like his brother is projected at, but he'll get $100 million+ playing ball by the time his career is over.

The amazing thing with Lonzo is how close his 3pt & FT spread is: 35% three & 51% FT this season. (Last year was actually 33% three / 42% FT.) That's one record he could break haha. A good rule of thumb is usually FT % is an indicator of how a player's 3-point shooting will compare to league average, but not in this case.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Lonzo is playing better of late will be fun to watch him and Zion play together

Melo I think will be the better player than Zo

How’s Gelo doing ?? I haven’t watched Ball in the family lately ??
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Friendly wager?
I'd buy you a beer at a game next year. I could very well be wrong but I could see him being a guy that slides on draft day.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Rhody Guy wrote: 4 years ago
Friendly wager?
I'd buy you a beer at a game next year. I could very well be wrong but I could see him being a guy that slides on draft day.
I don't drink beer, I drink Zima :lol:
Joking, sounds good, you're on. I get 1-10 and you get 11 and beyond.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would bet a beer he gets drafted top 10
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

With the win , URI moves from 61 to 62. I know the system is what it is but it’s totally criminal to punish a team for winning.
GO RAMS
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

I’d love it if the Knicks end up with Obi. A big wo can actually shoot.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago With the win , URI moves from 61 to 62. I know the system is what it is but it’s totally criminal to punish a team for winning.
But favored to win by 11.5, betting lines drop to 10 by game day and you squeak by with a 3 point win.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago I’d love it if the Knicks end up with Obi. A big wo can actually shoot.

If I was Obi I would want to go anywhere but there.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago With the win , URI moves from 61 to 62. I know the system is what it is but it’s totally criminal to punish a team for winning.

We might not have been punished so much as jumped over by Arizona State who beat Utah by 19.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

I dont think this has been posted anywhere.

Within it is a PDF breaking down each teams NET.

It shows the record verses quadrants one through four.

https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/_l ... FCCState=1
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I'm actually pretty happy they only dropped one spot. Was expecting it to be worse.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
But favored to win by 11.5, betting lines drop to 10 by game day and you squeak by with a 3 point win.
The NET doesn’t factor in the betting line. It does factor in winning by 10 or more which Rhody should have done yesterday.
Their ranking isn’t in a vacuum. Richmond jumped Rhody with a 10 point road win at G Mason.
“We will be good when we are good.”
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
Lonzo has been playing great since he returned from his injury. He's averaging 17ppg, 9 ast, and 8 rebs in his last 10. He's also the best on ball defender I've seen on the team.

He's been nothing but respectful to his fans, teammates, and the sport. Just because their dad is a self centered prick doesn't mean they are.

I don't know enough about Lamelo to give an honest opinion, but he certainly looks like a top 5 pick.

As for Rhody I really want to kick Duquesne's ass. The schedule that have played is ridiculous.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I actually agree on Lonzo - he’s a solid player although I’m thankful every day that the Lakers didn’t take Tatum there.

I don’t get how we can say LaMelo “looks like” a top-5 pick, though, since he played 12 games in Australia which is not even one of the truly great international leagues. If he played a full season in Germany or Spain and was an MVP candidate I would say fine, even though he went and played overseas instead of in college like a coward who is likely either trying to hide something about his game or is too much of a moron to keep himself eligible and follow the rules for 4 months. To Lonzo’s credit, even though his dad is a first class dope he had a pretty conventional arc to his career before he got to the NBA; with the other ones they are doing all this weird weasely stuff going to play over here or over there, starting their own league or whatever the hell that was, trying to get their dumb show on TV...I don’t know it’s just hard to take them seriously and I assume it’s all marketing hype until I see him prove against real competition with my own eyes.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
The NET doesn’t factor in the betting line. It does factor in winning by 10 or more which Rhody should have done yesterday.
Their ranking isn’t in a vacuum. Richmond jumped Rhody with a 10 point road win at G Mason.
pc lost and went up 5.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Because they played a good team close on the road. The ranking systems aren’t perfect but they do make some kind of sense. It isn’t just random.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, if we would have won this game by 10 or more, what happens?
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago So, if we would have won this game by 10 or more, what happens?
Honestly, probably not much. While we don't know the complete calculations they use, I doubt that the margin of victory is weighed so heavily that a different margin of victory in one game like this would change the ranking dramatically.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

If you play a team with a NET in the 180 range like La Salle, you lose by that mere fact. It is the rationale behind why the conference re-schedules the double pairings every three years so to pair the best teams to maximize the quality games played. PC, for example, in contrast plays five games in a row against ranked teams and that helps their NET especially if they win or don't lose in a blow out. In the past we were saddled with playing Fordham twice.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

They weren't necessarily punished. With NET, we don't see the raw score they use to rank teams, but theoretically your raw score could improve slightly and you could move down in the ranking because teams behind you dramatically increased their raw score.

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago If you play a team with a NET in the 180 range like La Salle, you lose by that mere fact. It is the rationale behind why the conference re-schedules the double pairings every three years so to pair the best teams to maximize the quality games played. PC, for example, in contrast plays five games in a row against ranked teams and that helps their NET especially if they win or don't lose in a blow out. In the past we were saddled with playing Fordham twice.
This is true to an extent, but not nearly to the same degree as it was during the RPI era. With RPI, if you play a bad team it doesn't matter how you play or how easily you handle them - it treats a 1 point win the same as a 30 point win. At least with NET, you can mitigate the impact of playing bad teams by crushing them since they are taking efficiency into account. This goes the other way, also - RPI awarded you for just scheduling a good team; NET will not reward you if you play a good team and get killed. This partially explains the difference between URI's very good RPI and decent NET rankings this season - their games against Maryland and LSU are worth a lot more for RPI than they are worth for NET because of how they performed in those games.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The NET factors in winning margin up to a max of 10 points. If you win by 20, or 80 it’s capped at 10.

BUT my point was we only won by 3. We should have won by more based on ODDs from 10 to 11.5 points. We underachieved.

So we left NET potential in the table - how many? That info is 🤫 🤫 🤫

My response was to a poster who felt our NET did not move as much as poster hoped or expected.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

The NET factors in winning margin up to a max of 10 points. If you win by 20, or 80 it’s capped at 10.

BUT my point was we only won by 3. We should have won by more based on ODDs from 10 to 11.5 points. We underachieved.

My response was to a poster who felt our NET did not move as much as poster hoped or expected.
I don’t think moving a couple spots one way or the other in the NET matters as much as some people think. Win the games in front of them and things will work itself out.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago

I don’t think moving a couple spots one way or the other in the NET matters as much as some people think. Win the games in front of them and things will work itself out.
You are right, I agree, It doesn’t matter.

What matters now is finishing at least 3rd in the A10 and getting at the very least to the Semifinals of the A10 Tournament.

Nothing less.
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Rhody Guy wrote: 4 years ago

Friendly wager?
I don't drink beer, I drink Zima :lol:
Joking, sounds good, you're on. I get 1-10 and you get 11 and beyond.
You will have to remember because I definitely will not.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

With tonight's results we should see our NET rise into the 50's.

Texas 59
UVA 60
URI 61

Should at least be 59 with those teams losing and NT's win.

The more we take care of business the more things will take care of itself.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice let’s get into the 50s then hopefully the 40s soon thereafter
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Annotation 2020-01-21 091106.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GO RAMS
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I just wanted to point out that is not entirely true.

Yes, you are correct, MOV is capped at 10 points.

Net efficiency is uncapped.

So if you beat a team by 25 points, you get the MOV cap of 10 points with a roughly 25 point net efficiency gain.

If you beat a team by 3 points, you get a MOV of +3 points and a roughly +3 net efficiency gain.

That's a simplistic way of looking at it but thought it should be pointed out. You are right, who knows the overall impact of one game. Teams that fail to beat bad opponents by a lot feel this the most.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago

I just wanted to point out that is not entirely true.

Yes, you are correct, MOV is capped at 10 points.

Net efficiency is uncapped.

So if you beat a team by 25 points, you get the MOV cap of 10 points with a roughly 25 point net efficiency gain.

If you beat a team by 3 points, you get a MOV of +3 points and a roughly +3 net efficiency gain.

That's a simplistic way of looking at it but thought it should be pointed out. You are right, who knows the overall impact of one game. Teams that fail to beat bad opponents by a lot feel this the most.
RJ,
WIN BY 3 get MOV +3 points, win by 8 get MOV +8 points. Win by 10 get MOV 10 points but win by 50 still get MOV 10, right?

They there is the efficiency, impact on top, right? But we don’t necessarily know how that impacts to what degree
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Correct, Ramster. The difference is that we know efficiency is the 2nd most weighted NET metric, while MOV is #5 (last). It can make the effects of efficiency drastically more important, and consistently winning and dominating bad teams is going to have a big efficiency impact versus consistently winning and "squeaking" by bad teams. Just quickly running numbers, URI has a net efficiency of + .061. St. Louis has a net efficiency of + .092. Richmond has a net efficiency of + .108. Duquesne has a net efficiency of +.164. The effects of one game is smallish. The effects of many games can be impactful.

This is a more simplistic way of looking at it, but URI playing LIU, Nicholls St., Manhattan, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, Brown, St. Joseph's, and LaSalle to a MOV of +59 over 8 games (+7.38 points) hurts efficiency greatly, and in terms of NET credit, they also only get credit for +5.13 MOV in those games. You could also look at it this way, they beat MTSU by 27 points. In their other 7 games against "bad" teams, they outscored them by a combined 32 points (4.57 points).

*Someone please double-check that math in this section, I had a rough time with that*
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

52 NET. Nice jump.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Duquesne dropped from 55 to 73 in NET. As was assumed based on weak schedule and getting blown out.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Alabama also moved up to 38 with their win last night. They are slowly approaching Q1 territory
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

52 is pretty sweet.

Gone from 90 to 52 in two and a half weeks.

Duquesne dropping 18 is crazy! Keep that top 75 by the end of the year Duquesne. We want that Q2 now friends :)
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Not that anyone cares anymore, or that it really matters, but URI’s RPI is now 22. For completeness, Sagarin is 62 and BPI is 64, to go along with its 59 KenPom and 52 NET.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Not that anyone cares anymore, or that it really matters, but URI’s RPI is now 22. For completeness, Sagarin is 62 and BPI is 64, to go along with its 59 KenPom and 52 NET.
Just for reference, I went back the last 3 tournaments to look at teams who were ranked (on selection sunday) similarly to where Rhody is ranked right now (using Kenpom).

2019:
ASU, ranked 61, was an 11 seed (play-in game)
Seton Hall, ranked 55, 10 seed
Belmont, ranked 54, 11 seed (play-in game)

2018:
Syracuse, ranked 54, 11 seed (play-in game)

2017:
PC, ranked 56, 11 seed (play-in game)
USC, ranked 61, 11 seed (play-in game)

Point being, URI is in striking distance.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago 52 NET. Nice jump.

oh man, this is great

but also will give me MAJOR AGITA come game day saturday

let's goooooooooooo !
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

First Four is a great opportunity to earn 2 NCAA credits This year.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Duquesne dropped 18 spots for losing a game it was an underdog in at an opponent with a similar NET. That is a pretty harsh fall for such a loss.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Again the lack of strength of schedule and quality wins forces the changes in duquesne when they lose to be so drastic. They dont have a VCU road win or Alabama win to stabilize the metrics a little bit after a lose.