12/21 | Western Kentucky | 2:00PM (ESPN+/YurView)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Re: 12/21 | Western Kentucky | 2:00PM (ESPN+/YurView)

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I have only one gripe about this game. Can we please stop the stall ball? It started when we were up by 7 with about 5 minutes left. All it does is create a forced shot at the end of the shot clock. Too many things can go wrong when the offense is initiated with about 10 seconds on the clock. Obviously it didn't work. It took away our momentum and let them back in the game. If we're up by 10 with 2 minutes left, fine. But I think up by 7 with 5 minutes left is way too early. Once again, this is my only gripe. I'm very happy with the win.
This obviously opened the door for WK to get back in the game. I remember games in which Hurley teams would do the same thing with very similar results. It’s a don’t lose mentality instead of a “put em away” way of thinking
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yeah that's way too much time left to start doing that.

Is it Cox's call or our guards that initiate it?

Dan used to do it all the time and it cost us a couple times.

Stay aggressive please.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Yeah that's way too much time left to start doing that.

Is it Cox's call or our guards that initiate it?

Dan used to do it all the time and it cost us a couple times.

Stay aggressive please.
Gotta be Cox’s call
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Best stat of the night: 21 assists on 32 turnovers. 66% of FGs were assisted, anything in the 60s is tremendous.

Antwan Walker, how do you do...can't think of a better way to come back after a 2 year layoff. Kid may not do that every game but he is going to help A LOT.

At one point in 2nd half when Fatts was sitting our lineup was Jeff, Tyrese, Jacob, Antwan and Cyril. 6'3, 6'6, 6'9, 6'7, 6'8.
That type of lineup would have made a difference against WVU and LSU when we were simply outmanned in terms of size and strength.

My biggest area of improvement for this year was our ability to create easy offense. We struggled to score last year, really grinded to get in the 60s and 70s at times. Not the case this year.

Loved the high ball screen on the zone that freed up Fatts for that pull up near end of regulation, great call by Cox ATO.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hopefully Cox learns from it. Nothing good comes from stall ball.

From his track record so far, I would guess he will.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago
I know we can't really talk when it comes to coach tantrums but Stansbury repeatedly refused to leave the court, have no idea why the refs put up with it. Also, at the end, he completely bodied that ref as he screamed in his ear. Don't ever recall Hurley making that much contact with a ref. Stansbury also was clearly trying to distract our players when they took 3's in front of their bench in the first half, Toppin even gave him shit for it when he hit his 3. About a minute after that, Stansbury did it again to Tyrese.

If this is true, Stansbury is a total dirtbag and I can't believe he wasn't ejected from the game for this.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

One thing's for sure....having Antwan really helps our rebounding.

We shouldn't be at a disadvantage there against any A10 team now.

Especially against SLU, Dayton, and VCU.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

It was a nice win, but it didn't have to be that difficult. The game was another iterative of what has become a disturbing feature of Ram wins - the blowing of big leads and making the game closer than necessary. Only the North Texas win did not fall into this pattern. Against LIU, a 18 point lead went to 8, versus Alabama, a 22 point lead melted to 5, against Nicholls a 7 point lead transformed to a 7 point deficit, against Manhattan 17 points reduced to 7, versus PC a 11 point lead went to 2, and against WKU 11 points reduced to 0. In all these games URI righted itself to take the win, but they were home tilts, so it raises some questions about how the Rams will fare on the road.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Have to keep the foot on the gas.

Bonnies beat Middle Tennessee on the road by 1....let's see how we stack up compared to them.

It shouldn't be that close, but Obie is right, can't continue to let leads disappear, on the road that usually means an L.

Home crowds help us regain our focus...on the road no such luxury.
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago It was a nice win, but it didn't have to be that difficult. The game was another iterative of what has become a disturbing feature of Ram wins - the blowing of big leads and making the game closer than necessary. Only the North Texas win did not fall into this pattern. Against LIU, a 18 point lead went to 8, versus Alabama, a 22 point lead melted to 5, against Nicholls a 7 point lead transformed to a 7 point deficit, against Manhattan 17 points reduced to 7, versus PC a 11 point lead went to 2, and against WKU 11 points reduced to 0. In all these games URI righted itself to take the win, but they were home tilts, so it raises some questions about how the Rams will fare on the road.
College basketball is about runs, so you will always see a bit of this, but agree with some of the leads we have had this year, we need to put teams away. However, half the games you mentioned we probably would have lost last year. Love this team this year, where they get punched back after taking a big lead, but now have the maturity and experience to withstand and still win.

very intrigued and excited to see how A-10 play develops.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago It was a nice win, but it didn't have to be that difficult. The game was another iterative of what has become a disturbing feature of Ram wins - the blowing of big leads and making the game closer than necessary. Only the North Texas win did not fall into this pattern. Against LIU, a 18 point lead went to 8, versus Alabama, a 22 point lead melted to 5, against Nicholls a 7 point lead transformed to a 7 point deficit, against Manhattan 17 points reduced to 7, versus PC a 11 point lead went to 2, and against WKU 11 points reduced to 0. In all these games URI righted itself to take the win, but they were home tilts, so it raises some questions about how the Rams will fare on the road.
That’s called two teams are playing and trying to win the game. You’re just not going to boat race every team every game.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Not sure if it’s been mentioned (it probably has), but I’m a big fan of fouling up 3 on that final possession...letting them get 3 shots at a chance to tie is no bueno- especially when we have Fatts to strategically target in end of game foul shooting contests
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

We have played a decent ooc schedule, all against very capable teams and have protected those leads most often, but Obi makes a good point, protecting leads on the road isn't exactly the same as at home. I have no reason to believe we won't, but I get his reservation.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
That’s called two teams are playing and trying to win the game. You’re just not going to boat race every team every game.
Essentially I was posing a question because it happened in every single home game and that is a kind of consistency of an undesirable sort and I was looking for some in-depth insight rather than a rah-rah response.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Winning is great, but it's how you're winning that's important too....bad habits can come back to bite you.

Some of us are just pointing that out.

Lot more games to play, so it's worth talking about.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The guys on the Three Bid League podcast made a similar critique of Dayton. I just think it’s harder than fans think to steadily pummel teams for 40 minutes because the other team is typically being coached and making adjustments and has good players, both teams are subbing which continuously changes the dynamic of the game, and your team is probably not going to play 40 perfect minutes. I’m all for blowing the doors off teams if possible but it is a tough thing to expect.

One place where we probably agree, and that I’ve complained about previously, is the extended scoreless runs we are prone to. Too many 3-4 minute stretches where we have consecutive bad possessions that seem to feed on each other. I actually think that’s gotten a little better since the LSU game, but it is probably somewhat related to the point you’re making.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think it's the timing that's more troublesome.....

Every team goes thru scoring droughts at different times.

Ours though tend to be more magnified because they tend to show up later in games.

If you have more scoreless stretches early in games, they aren't noticed as much after it's all said and done.

You can come back from those much more often...late in games it's harder especially on the road when their crowd is more into it.

We'll see what happens, I'm sure Cox is well aware of our tendencies and is trying to minimize them.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The perspective of the game from WKU beat writer Elliott Pratt for the Bowling Green Daily News is below. Note that the 19,566 daily circulation newspaper sent a reporter to cover the game in RI. Worth noting this coverage in comparison to the much larger 70,600 daily circulation Providence Journal coverage of URI men's basketball. One wonders if the Projo will take similar action and send Bill Koch to Bowling Green-KY for the return game next year.

Hilltoppers' fighting effort falls short in overtime at Rhode Island
https://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/wku/ ... f1d2a.html

Pratt's twitter account was also a good read and included several video clips from his seat on press row (including the end of regulation three that tied the game) and post game interviews:
https://twitter.com/EPrattBGDN

Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago Not sure if it’s been mentioned (it probably has), but I’m a big fan of fouling up 3 on that final possession...letting them get 3 shots at a chance to tie is no bueno- especially when we have Fatts to strategically target in end of game foul shooting contests
No it has not been mentioned. As I sat in the stands I definitely wanted us to foul and send WKU to the line for FTs. That’s been my belief for many years.
I think at 5 seconds and lower teams should foul when up by 3 points
Fortunately we won in OT.

We couldn’t have fouled Williams as he was wide open with nobody near him fir the game tying 3P. Williams should have been the last player on the floor to leave open as he had a great game.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago I know we can't really talk when it comes to coach tantrums but Stansbury repeatedly refused to leave the court, have no idea why the refs put up with it.
Yeah, I thought this was pretty egregious... he was FULLY on the court for most of the game. I was hoping that whoever was bringing the ball up for URI would just plow right into him and force the refs to call something.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Imagine if the students were there? That guy hasnt seen anything compared to the Ryan Centers full potential.
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Section104 wrote: 4 years ago Not sure if it’s been mentioned (it probably has), but I’m a big fan of fouling up 3 on that final possession...letting them get 3 shots at a chance to tie is no bueno- especially when we have Fatts to strategically target in end of game foul shooting contests
No it has not been mentioned. As I sat in the stands I definitely wanted us to foul and send WKU to the line for FTs. That’s been my belief for many years.

We couldn’t have fouled Williams as he was wide open with nobody near him fir the game tying 3P. Williams should have been the last player on the floor to leave open as he had a great game.
I agree in terms of fouling under 5 secs up 3. But that is something you definitely have to practice and work on, and in this case was especially tough to execute. The possession started with more time on the clock and would have taken someone with high awareness to know time left after a few misses and then execute the foul. The person who could have done that was Fatts who could have fouled the penetration by #11 that led to the kick out for open 3.

The other error made if you watch the play is Walker leaking out, almost looking for a runaway slam. He’s too good of a rebounder and in that situation needs to stay in the play. Both him and Fatts were within distance to challenge that corner 3 shot but were both caught flat footed. Teaching moment when they watch the film.

That side of the court has been an ominous position in Rhody history.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Worth noting this coverage in comparison to the 70,600 daily circulation Providence Journal coverage of URI men's basketball. One wonders if the Projo will take similar action and send Bill Koch to Bowling Green-KY for the return game next year.
Yeah, right. The most important thing we can do to earn that kind of respect is to beat the crap out of the mental hospital every year.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

It was a good crowd yesterday, loud and supported the team all the way . It was great to win a game against a good team without Fatts and Jeff
having their best shooting game. In fact, it was their worst combined shooting game. chalk it up to the 2 week layoff. Harris and Walker added
to the tremendous game by martin . Very exciting game, worth the long trip up. Watched the Dayton game on TV after which was another overtimer
lost on a buzzer beater by Dayton . what a shame.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Dayton's overtime losses are a bummer but it seems like the conference has won quite a few close games.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

The problem with fouling up 3 with 10 seconds or more left is ...If you foul with that much time left, you know they're going to foul you, then YOU have to make foul shots also and you might not get to choose who gets the ball. Even though Rhody made key freebies down the stretch, I'm still good with not fouling last night. What we DO need to do is to have zone-like coverage end of game coverage on that corner. No matter what's going on or where the ball is just have a defender planted in the death corner, even if there's no one over there... :lol:
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

If we are up by two or down by three coming down the stretch....the last 3 minutes or so.....I want Fatts being Fatts....I want him taking 3's and driving to the hole to get fouled and go to the line.....some days the refs don't give him the calls on the drives to the hole....WKU being in a zone hurts Fatts driving by his guy because the defense is always there......one on one he gets to the rim every time....The Ryan Center is Fatts' fucking house....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Reef are you talking about the twisting drive for a layup by Williams . Half to agree . The shot came after he had spun and then spun back around
his defender before the layup and the contact must have come a full second before he went up in the air on the layup . I'm not sure even the NBA would have counted that one, well maybe .. Clearly not a standard college ball continuation call.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Some thoughts on posts above.
During the PC game I liked the big lineup. Yesterday it didn’t work. Martin couldn’t stay with their 2G. He kept getting beat on the drive for layups.
I don’t think Martin had a tremendous game. He had a good first half and didn’t play well in the second half. He ended up shooting 9-23 and 2-9 from three (22%).
Rhody scored 13 points in the last 9 minutes of regulation and 4 points in the last 4:47 of regulation.
The slowdown approach was after they came out of the under 4 timeout.
Rhody shot poorly particularly from the outside.
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah Luke that was the play NBA continuation not in college

I like fouling up 3 late also but in this instance once the shot went up we were out of position and that led to the open 3

I also agree about the stall ball late in regulation that led to bad shots and allowed them to get back in it. We need to change our strategy on that mind set
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago The problem with fouling up 3 with 10 seconds or more left is ...If you foul with that much time left, you know they're going to foul you, then YOU have to make foul shots also and you might not get to choose who gets the ball. Even though Rhody made key freebies down the stretch, I'm still good with not fouling last night. What we DO need to do is to have zone-like coverage end of game coverage on that corner. No matter what's going on or where the ball is just have a defender planted in the death corner, even if there's no one over there... :lol:

agree with NYG. We were still shooting 1 and 1. I may have felt a little differently if we were in the double bonus.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Some thoughts on posts above.
During the PC game I liked the big lineup. Yesterday it didn’t work. Martin couldn’t stay with their 2G. He kept getting beat on the drive for layups.
I don’t think Martin had a tremendous game. He had a good first half and didn’t play well in the second half. He ended up shooting 9-23 and 2-9 from three (22%).
Rhody scored 13 points in the last 9 minutes of regulation and 4 points in the last 4:47 of regulation.
The slowdown approach was after they came out of the under 4 timeout.
Rhody shot poorly particularly from the outside.
It's hard to be critical of a guy that scored 22 point, but I agree with this view of Martin's total game. His overall stats look good because he had a great start to game, but his second half was a different story. His defensive effort was lacking, he was constantly beat for easy lay-ups especially in the crunch time of the last few minutes when a stop would have paid big dividends.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Every time he was beat for a lay up the opponent was going right to his strong side. Defense 101 says to over play him so that going right is much more difficult. It is amazing how often that rule of thumb is not practiced.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago The perspective of the game from WKU beat writer Elliott Pratt for the Bowling Green Daily News is below. Note that the 19,566 daily circulation newspaper sent a reporter to cover the game in RI. Worth noting this coverage in comparison to the much larger 70,600 daily circulation Providence Journal coverage of URI men's basketball. One wonders if the Projo will take similar action and send Bill Koch to Bowling Green-KY for the return game next year.
According to his Twitter page he's also "pursuing Christ." I wonder what he'll do if he catches him.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago
RF1 wrote: 4 years ago The perspective of the game from WKU beat writer Elliott Pratt for the Bowling Green Daily News is below. Note that the 19,566 daily circulation newspaper sent a reporter to cover the game in RI. Worth noting this coverage in comparison to the much larger 70,600 daily circulation Providence Journal coverage of URI men's basketball. One wonders if the Projo will take similar action and send Bill Koch to Bowling Green-KY for the return game next year.
According to his Twitter page he's also "pursuing Christ." I wonder what he'll do if he catches him.
Reminds me of a old joke, "I found Jesus. Turns out he was hiding behind the couch this entire time..."
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Great video of the WKU coach. Speaking of Fatts, he said "If there's a better guard in the country than him I won't see him."
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Fatts and Jeff both had 8 assists. That's outstanding.
Was going to point this out as well. Great stat.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I agree about Martins performance also he shot 9-23 to score his 22 points took a lot of poor shots too we need him to be more efficient
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

reef wrote: 4 years ago I agree about Martins performance also he shot 9-23 to score his 22 points took a lot of poor shots too we need him to be more efficient
He may not be perfect but he has better body control in mid-air than just about anyone I've seen in the last 5 years. His reverse layup is a thing of beauty. So is his jump shot. And I'll happily take 15 PPG from him this year and 20 PPG next season. :D
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I think Fatts passes on backdoor cuts are the underrated plays of the year.
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Martin's offensive aggressiveness made up for his being unable to defend smaller quicker guards on defense.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's where not having a guy like Sheppard hurts us.

Martin can't stay with smaller quicker guards when he plays the 2.

But on the other hand he has an advantage on offense.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago The problem with fouling up 3 with 10 seconds or more left is ...If you foul with that much time left, you know they're going to foul you, then YOU have to make foul shots also and you might not get to choose who gets the ball. Even though Rhody made key freebies down the stretch, I'm still good with not fouling last night. What we DO need to do is to have zone-like coverage end of game coverage on that corner. No matter what's going on or where the ball is just have a defender planted in the death corner, even if there's no one over there... :lol:
I was not talking about fouling with 10 seconds or more.
WKU shot a 3P with 9 seconds to go, then got the rebound and shot with 5 seconds and then again got the loose ball finding Williams wide open in the Corner who buried a 3P to tie the game at the buzzer - that was 3 shots to tie the game in the last 9 seconds.

On the Williams shot, both Walker and Fatts stood flatfooted and watched Williams take the game tying shot. Not sure why they made no attempt to at least wave a hand at Williams. As BAR said, a good game teaching film review for David Cox.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago

I agree in terms of fouling under 5 secs up 3. But that is something you definitely have to practice and work on, and in this case was especially tough to execute. The possession started with more time on the clock and would have taken someone with high awareness to know time left after a few misses and then execute the foul. The person who could have done that was Fatts who could have fouled the penetration by #11 that led to the kick out for open 3.

The other error made if you watch the play is Walker leaking out, almost looking for a runaway slam. He’s too good of a rebounder and in that situation needs to stay in the play. Both him and Fatts were within distance to challenge that corner 3 shot but were both caught flat footed. Teaching moment when they watch the film.

That side of the court has been an ominous position in Rhody history.
WKU took the 1st 3P attempt with 9 seconds left in regulation, then SKU got the loose rebound and made another 3P attempt with 5 seconds and then got a 3rd attempt for a 3P at the buzzer. Agree that Walker and Russell were watching the last shot by Williams as if they were sitting in the stands. Surely David Cox will play that last 9 seconds back multiple times to the team.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
Justns11 wrote: 4 years ago
section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
........really?......
How is it okay for one of the message board moderators to say something like this? Pretty fucked up.
......it is not OK......
No poster should say something like this.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......I guess some of the negative comments made by posters toward officials and visiting coaches are made in the heat of the moments during games, however......for me no excuse and it troubles me to read them.....the option to not read them doesn’t work......having prior, in an another life connections to college coaches and officials those comments trouble me......I have moved on and expect these attacks will continue......
Last edited by section(105) 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The Maryland game we got off to a 24-12 lead but could not hold it. Seems that we go through stretches with limited passing and too much individual play. We are at our best when the ball doesn't hit the floor and we make multiple, quick passes. Dowtin had a season high 8 assists vs WKU which was double his previous high of only 4 assists. Dowtin had 8 assists and zero TOs reminding us of his proficiency displayed in his 1st two years at PG.
Russell had 8 assists and only 1 TO so between them 16 assists and 1 TO.
If we can get the play we got vs WKU from out big men Langevine, Harris and now Walker......bench play from Long and Toppin (each had 3 Offensive Rebounds)...plus the Assist/TO Ratio from Fatts/Jeff and then get the shooting percentage up from Dowtin and Fatts (who were a dismal combined 8-33) then this team can make a lot of noise in A10 play. Passing and Good Shot Selection are the keys - unselfish play wins. Our rebounding is solid and consistent.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Best stat of the night: 21 assists on 32 turnovers. 66% of FGs were assisted, anything in the 60s is tremendous.

Antwan Walker, how do you do...can't think of a better way to come back after a 2 year layoff. Kid may not do that every game but he is going to help A LOT.

At one point in 2nd half when Fatts was sitting our lineup was Jeff, Tyrese, Jacob, Antwan and Cyril. 6'3, 6'6, 6'9, 6'7, 6'8.
That type of lineup would have made a difference against WVU and LSU when we were simply outmanned in terms of size and strength.

My biggest area of improvement for this year was our ability to create easy offense. We struggled to score last year, really grinded to get in the 60s and 70s at times. Not the case this year.

Loved the high ball screen on the zone that freed up Fatts for that pull up near end of regulation, great call by Cox ATO.
BAR,
I think you meant 21 Assists on 10 Turnovers? Not sure where your 32 comes from. But agree that 21 Assists were phenomenal.
  • Dowtin had 8 Assists and Zero TOs. His previous high for Assists this season was 4. Love to see Jeff creating on offense. He started the game off with a nice lob assists to Harris for an easy bucket.
    2 minutes into the 2nd half Fatts threw a long pass to Harris who leaped but it was too high and he deflected the ball to Dowtin in the corner in front of the URI Bench. Jeff threw a beautiful no-look pass to Langevine under the basket for an easy bucket. Just a beautiful, quick, catch everyone flat-footed Dowtin type pass.
  • Russell also had 8 Assists and only 1 Turnover. Russell had several very nice bounce passes that led to easy baskets. We are at our best when Dowtin and Russell pass like this. The ball does not touch the floor much at all and we catch the opponents defense off balance and late to cover.
  • Langevine also had some nice passes as did Toppin
  • I also liked the lineup of Dowtin, Martin, Toppin, Walker and Langevine. You could also sub Harris into that Lineup for Martin and have a huge physical line up. Nice that we can compete with the larger lineups that we could see in the NCAA Tournament. Toppin, Long and Walker give us some nice height that we did not have last season
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago ......I guess some of the negative comments made by posters toward officials and visiting coaches are made in the heat of the moments during games, however......for me no excuse and it troubles me to read them.....the option to not read them doesn’t work......having prior, in an another live connections to college coaches and officials those comments trouble me......I have moved on and expect these attacks will continue......
I agree. I also think the majority of in-game comments are from fans watching on TV or Internet. Those at the game typically do not post until after. They can get caught up in the heat of the moment on the TV and live.

I was sitting courtside, very close to the call that the WKU Coach got the technical on. To be perfectly honest, when the call was made I said "What?" I honestly did not see any foul and even if there was one, I was not sure who it would have been on. They it was Long to the line. It was a mystery to me when the call was made. So for all who are criticizing the SKU HC, I had a better look at it than the HC did and I didn't see it. I then rewatched the game last night on ESPN+ replay and I still do not see the foul.

Being at the game, I did not feel that the Refs were bad or negatively influencing the game. I did not think that the fans were feeling a lot of animosity towards the Refs, so I was surprised to read so much negativity about the Refs toward URI when I read all of the Western Kentucky commentary.

I could not see the play in front of the WKU bench involving Fatts that is being mentioned here but in watching the replay on ESPN+ it looked like a very close call. It appeared to me that Fatts did a flop-like gesture to try to get a foul call, but that was a very big play in the game. WKU HC is doing what most HC's would do in the last minutes of a game with a play right in front of their bench on the road.

I don't feel that the WKU HC was much different in his behavior than our own Dan Hurley over the past several years.

I also confess that in the long run calls by Referees even out, nobody is singled out to receive more than their share of gad or good calls, home or away. I have also refereed before full disclosure.