11/19 | Nicholls State | 7:00PM (ESPN+/YurView)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Re: 11/19 | Nicholls State | 7:00PM (ESPN+/YurView)

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I wasn’t surprised that Tate played at the end. No knock on JH (he played great) but I think Tate is a slightly better defender and a wider body. Cox knew at the end of the game Jeff, Fatts and Tyrese we’re going to be taking the shots so why not have your two best defensive forwards in the game. Smart coaching.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago I wasn’t surprised that Tate played at the end. No knock on JH (he played great) but I think Tate is a slightly better defender and a wider body. Cox knew at the end of the game Jeff, Fatts and Tyrese we’re going to be taking the shots so why not have your two best defensive forwards in the game. Smart coaching.

I just felt like his size and rebounding would've helped more than what Tate gave.

Jermaine was aggressive in a good way, scoring and tearing down rebounds.

I think you put him out there with a Cyril in dominate mode then I don't think they would have been able to handle us at all.

We could've gone inside even more at will with jeff and Fatts slashing and distributing it to an effective Harris and dominate Cyril.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago What were the calls you felt were missed the most?
The two that stuck out to me the most on TV were one on Toppin, I think (?), down under the basket on the right block and the ref that called it was standing in front of the bench 35 feet from the play when there was clearly no contact on the replay, and another one by the same ref on Tate late in the game that was a very similar play - he called a shooting foul on a move to the basket where Tate played perfect defense and did not foul him. Those two clear blown calls aside, it was not close to the worst I’ve seen. Really, I’ve never seen a game without a couple of obvious missed calls by the refs. Refs are by nature incompetent, bad and vindictive people, so it’s just part of the game that you have to live with.
........I disagree that, refs are by nature incompetent, bad and vindictive people.....I think that refs make questionable, good and bad calls that are part of the game that you have to live with.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago There is no question that Cyril had a great final 10 minutes of the game and that Fatts had a spectacular 35 minutes. His performance was a definition of "stuffing the stat sheet".
One very important shot of the game that cannot be overlooked and really has not been written about is Tyrese's 3 pointer that gave us the lead with less than 2 minutes to go. Huge shot that served as the impetus for the rest of the game that we clearly dominated.
Jeff Dowtin had a critically important pass to Langevine rolling to the basket.

Jeff also had a move down low whereby he did like a 360 move off the dribble and banked in a 3 foot shot. He totally lost his defender. Anybody remember that?

Langevine had a very nice rebound of his own missed FT and scored a basket. Nichols State missed on the fundamental box out the FT shooter - especially if it’s a great rebounder like Langevine.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago What were the calls you felt were missed the most?
The two that stuck out to me the most on TV were one on Toppin, I think (?), down under the basket on the right block and the ref that called it was standing in front of the bench 35 feet from the play when there was clearly no contact on the replay, and another one by the same ref on Tate late in the game that was a very similar play - he called a shooting foul on a move to the basket where Tate played perfect defense and did not foul him. Those two clear blown calls aside, it was not close to the worst I’ve seen. Really, I’ve never seen a game without a couple of obvious missed calls by the refs. Refs are by nature incompetent, bad and vindictive people, so it’s just part of the game that you have to live with.
........I disagree that, refs are by nature incompetent, bad and vindictive people.....I think that refs make questionable, good and bad calls that are part of the game that you have to live with.....
I know. I bang on refs a lot but my tongue is really planted way into my cheek most of the time. I have longstanding beef with refs that has mostly aged into satire at this point in my life, but is no lie that as a high school player and when I was coaching AAU in college and grad school, the TP vs Ref beef was very real. My lasting impression from them is that while they may not all be bad and vindictive people by nature, they certainly can be in the heat of the moment. I think there is a type of ref, like there is a type of cop and a type of school administrator or boss, that is in it solely for the thrill of people having to listen to them and do what they say by virtue of their having signed up for a certain job. They make calls solely to show they are the ones with the whistle, etc. Their authority is not earned in any real sense but you damn sure are going to respect it. I don’t really appreciate that way of being in the world.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am also starting to believe in Cox basketball mind especially offensively

2 things stood out we called time out end of 1h and well executed ally oop to Jacob

Then with game on line we went to weave which created the pass to Cyril

He may not be the defensive mind DH was but I like him better offensively
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I see that Wally Rutecki was one of the refs in last night’s game; therefore, any and all criticism directed to the refs is both warranted and encouraged.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago I wasn’t surprised that Tate played at the end. No knock on JH (he played great) but I think Tate is a slightly better defender and a wider body. Cox knew at the end of the game Jeff, Fatts and Tyrese we’re going to be taking the shots so why not have your two best defensive forwards in the game. Smart coaching.
I agree with this
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I also like Tate in the game at the end with game on the line
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Rutecki really did not like Hurley and it showed in most of the games he did with us.

I was at the game last night and he seemed to have a good game with one questionable call down at the other end of the court (in front of the students) that I could not see very well. I think he called the offensive foul and waived off the basket by Nicholls toward the end of the game. It was a huge call at the time and very much in our favor by whoever called it.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ace wrote: 4 years ago I see that Wally Rutecki was one of the refs in last night’s game; therefore, any and all criticism directed to the refs is both warranted and encouraged.
That dude needs to be fired.

Like, out of a cannon.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If you’re ever bored enough to do so, search Wally Rutecki’s name on Twitter. Everyone hates that dude.

Everything good with Fatts and his knee? I wasn’t able to watch any of the game and am just now catching up.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Was able to watch a replay of this game just now on ESPN+. Makes some of the comments here very relevant.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Seemed to be fine went to locker room came back and played rest of game
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

reef wrote: 4 years ago I am also starting to believe in Cox basketball mind especially offensively

2 things stood out we called time out end of 1h and well executed ally oop to Jacob

Then with game on line we went to weave which created the pass to Cyril

He may not be the defensive mind DH was but I like him better offensively
Really agree with this in terms of Cox and some Xs and Os moves yesterday that were impressive. The ATO lob to Jacob was beautifully drawn up. And then we went to the weave to open up Cyril for an easy bucket, both were critical baskets at the time. I also have liked how we are sprinkling in some press to slow teams down and even a 2-3 look from time to time to change it up. He's starting to show a better feel for the game that is naturally a learning process for someone new to calling all the shots.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I never through URI was getting treated unfairly by the Refs last night. But then again I don’t get into Ref unfair treatment because in the end I think it all evens out. Yes you can get a bad Ref but he/she is generally bad for both teams

I did see Norfolk State players a number of times making shocked faces on some calls, but again not saying they got screwed.

Fouls Statistics:
Total Fouls:
URI - 15
Norfolk State - 20

Foiled Out:
URI - none
Norfolk State - 2, Warith Alatishe, Andre Jones

Free Throws:
URI - 19 of 23
Norfolk State - 5 of 7
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I didn’t have too much of problems with the refs

The couple blown calls I thought went against us were the continuation call and that foul on Dana
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Ref talk and point guard talk.

(Equally embarrassing forum talking points)

Harris got spun around quite a bit on defense having Tate defend at crunch time was a solid coaching move coupled with the full court pressure.

I hope Walker can play, we need another rotation option with interior/post defense.

Again, solid legit win last night!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago jermaine needs to keep fighting and keep at it

he clearly has talent - i think that is why we are all pulling for him

he has a soft touch as long as he stays away from the 3s...

i would set picks for him and set him up for a catch and shoot facing the basket 10 feet out

i think he would thrive there
I completely agree with your last two lines there. He clearly has nice touch, and that would help him with confidence but also open up the floor and pick and rolls.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 4 years ago I never through URI was getting treated unfairly by the Refs last night. But then again I don’t get into Ref unfair treatment because in the end I think it all evens out. Yes you can get a bad Ref but he/she is generally bad for both teams

I did see Norfolk State players a number of times making shocked faces on some calls, but again not saying they got screwed.

Fouls Statistics:
Total Fouls:
URI - 15
Norfolk State - 20

Foiled Out:
URI - none
Norfolk State - 2, Warith Alatishe, Andre Jones

Free Throws:
URI - 19 of 23
Norfolk State - 5 of 7
Nicholls State Ramster!

Louisiana

(It’s ok Penders tweeted he didn’t know who they were or where they were from)

:)
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago
ace wrote: 4 years ago I see that Wally Rutecki was one of the refs in last night’s game; therefore, any and all criticism directed to the refs is both warranted and encouraged.
That dude needs to be fired.

Like, out of a cannon.
It’s my favorite personal inconsequential grudge.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago Rutecki really did not like Hurley and it showed in most of the games he did with us.

I was at the game last night and he seemed to have a good game with one questionable call down at the other end of the court (in front of the students) that I could not see very well. I think he called the offensive foul and waived off the basket by Nicholls toward the end of the game. It was a huge call at the time and very much in our favor by whoever called it.
Actually that play was right in front of me. Refs made two calls one called charge and the other called foul by Rhode Island on the floor. York did a great job announcing the charge while the crew discussed. Fans around me agreed it looked like a Rhode Island foul and we sweated it out. If call had been switched at that point the place would have got real ugly.

Haven’t seen a replay perhaps folks who saw game on TV could comment.

Good call Eli#10 it was a huge play and could easily have flipped the outcome.

It was Rutecki who saw the play as a blocking foul on the Rams. The other refs call stood
hrstrat57
Sly Williams