David Cox Coach’s Show 2019-20

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Re: David Cox Coach’s Show 2019-20

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Wow. With friends like that who needs enemies?
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago Wow. With friends like that who needs enemies?
Yeah! I am mad. He also called out one of our other Ram Fam members on his IG story.

I have FBI level research skills and can’t wait to find out what this LOSER’S name is.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Steve McDonald might've lost 199 pounds....

Good for him!
He’s done this before. Let’s hope it’s permanent this time
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Tjrams91 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
Yeah! I am mad. He also called out one of our other Ram Fam members on his IG story.

I have FBI level research skills and can’t wait to find out what this LOSER’S name is.
Did you find out? I saw someone tag him on twitter and delete it. I know what his name is.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Tjrams91 wrote: 4 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago

Did you find out? I saw someone tag him on twitter and delete it. I know what his name is.
If you could DM it to me it would be much appreciated.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......next show 5/21, 6 PM......920 AM on the dial.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

CamsRams
Tom Garrick

CamsRams
Tom Garrick

CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Biggest news was that URI has retained a strong law firm that specializes in NCAA waivers for the 4 transfers.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Sounds like we are going to put up a fight to get these transfers cleared. I like our argument and I’m sure hundreds of other schools will follow suit.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Sounds like we are going to put up a fight to get these transfers cleared. I like our argument and I’m sure hundreds of other schools will follow suit.
Let’s get it done! I think Cox/Thor learned from last year that even a good waiver claim (Antwan) needs a lot of pushing. Every year transfers get waivers that head-scratching because the programs invest in the compliance staff and outside counsel to get them done. I would take all money saved on recruiting budget this summer and invest in getting the waivers passed.

If we only get the Mitchells through, that solves our front court hole next year and completely changes the outlook of the team.

AGAIN, AS MUCH AS I THINK WE GET AT LEAST ONE, WE CANNOT RELY ON THE WAIVERS!

That’s why I like the idea of going after Taurean Thompson who would have value for the team with or without transfers eligible.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

You would think the NCAA would be wise to pass transfer rule rather than deal with an onslaught of waiver requests...
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ram1980 wrote: 4 years ago You would think the NCAA would be wise to pass transfer rule rather than deal with an onslaught of waiver requests...
That's why I doubt they will spend much time and energy on Waiver Review. The fewer exceptions they make the better off they will be. If they were expecting to make a ton of exceptions by being lenient then they might have gone ahead and passed the proposal - but of course they didn't
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Sounds like we are going to put up a fight to get these transfers cleared. I like our argument and I’m sure hundreds of other schools will follow suit.
I may be in the minority here, but with the uncertainty of fans being allowed this coming season, I’m starting to want our transfers to have to sit the year, so us fans and the team has 2+ years to watch and play in packed arenas, even if they won’t play with Fatts.

Now obviously if we’re allowed to go the games, I’d want all these kids eligible right away.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
I may be in the minority here, but with the uncertainty of fans being allowed this coming season, I’m starting to want our transfers to have to sit the year, so us fans and the team has 2+ years to watch all these transfers play in person.
I agree with you. Go ahead with the 7-8 players we have, add some good walk ons and go with what was always the plan - that the transfers would sit out a year.

Next year could very well be a shortened season anyway.

If I'm DJ Johnson I have to keep wondering if these 4 guys are going to be taking playing time away from me (or not). Just settle the roster and stop continually wondering what Lawyers can conjure up.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

What exactly is our argument?
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

I may be in the minority here, but with the uncertainty of fans being allowed this coming season, I’m starting to want our transfers to have to sit the year, so us fans and the team has 2+ years to watch and play in packed arenas, even if they won’t play with Fatts.

Now obviously if we’re allowed to go the games, I’d want all these kids eligible right away.
This is a valid argument and I have thought about that also as we would keep 3 eligibility years of the twins and 2 for Betrand and Martin. Despite everything going on and the uncertainty of the season if we could ever get these 4 players eligible to go with Fatts we would be an NCAA worthy team for certain. As it stands now we are not an NCAA tourney team even with Fatts unless we can pull off a miracle with two front court players. It would be a very exciting season with Fatts, Sheppard, Harris, Leggett, Berry, Twins, Martin and Betrand. I would love to see this team get a chance to play together. Even if it is just the Twins it would make a world of difference.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago
What exactly is our argument?
Listen to the show...
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago

This is a valid argument and I have thought about that also as we would keep 3 eligibility years of the twins and 2 for Betrand and Martin. Despite everything going on and the uncertainty of the season if we could ever get these 4 players eligible to go with Fatts we would be an NCAA worthy team for certain. As it stands now we are not an NCAA tourney team even with Fatts unless we can pull off a miracle with two front court players. It would be a very exciting season with Fatts, Sheppard, Harris, Leggett, Berry, Twins, Martin and Betrand. I would love to see this team get a chance to play together. Even if it is just the Twins it would make a world of difference.
Makes sense to me too , we aren’t going to be a tournament team next year without the transfers so have Fatts go out and score 25 a game then the following year we could challenge for a big dance
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think the twins have a shot at a waiver/ playing half of a season? Thats a serious front court. When is the last time we had 4 guys that all were bona fide P5 level front court players? Like all of them are legitimately tall and athletic. Plus one has a weird feathery touch/great free throw shot that can be unlocked anytime?
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I was disappointed Steve didn't ask Cox if he is still trying to fill up the open scholarships. Also if he has any communication with any potential recruits without being name specific( not allowed). I hope they aren't putting all their eggs in one basket that players will be granted waivers, because I am not very optimistic about that.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Jersey77 wrote: 4 years ago I was disappointed Steve didn't ask Cox if he is still trying to fill up the open scholarships. Also if he has any communication with any potential recruits without being name specific( not allowed). I hope they aren't putting all their eggs in one basket that players will be granted waivers, because I am not very optimistic about that.
It could be the questions were prescreened and Cox didn’t want to answer that.
Slava Ukraini!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 4 years ago I think the twins have a shot at a waiver/ playing half of a season?
The twins are either playing a full season or no season. There is no half season option for them.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
Seawrightspostgame wrote: 4 years ago I think the twins have a shot at a waiver/ playing half of a season?
The twins are either playing a full season or no season. There is no half season option for them.
Why should they be eligible? Not homesick. It’s not like they are moving back to their home state, they are moving away from it. If they are eligible everyone should be eligible and just approve the Big10 Proposal for immediate eligibility rule change. But they didn’t so time to move on.

Just suck it up this season, do the best we can and then the 4 transfer are eligible in 2021-2022 as has been the plan all along.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
Why should they be eligible? Not homesick. It’s not like they are moving back to their home state, they are moving away from it. If they are eligible everyone should be eligible and just approve the Big10 Proposal for immediate eligibility rule change. But they didn’t so time to move on.

Just suck it up this season, do the best we can and then the 4 transfer are eligible in 2021-2022 as has been the plan all along.
I agree with you on that about how it should be handled in general.

That said, I'm sure their pitch is going to be that they were misled about their roles by Coach Turgeon when he was recruiting them, and that the frustration over their lack of role boiled over so that it was irreparable for them to continue to play for Maryland, and had Maryland been upfront with them in the first place, they could have made an informed decision and looked for another school to play for before going to Maryland. And had they ended up somewhere else with a desirable role, they would have played consistent minutes last year and would be playing consistent minutes this year, happy and stable, not being in a position where they missed half of last season trying to find the right fit and then have to miss all of this season by standard transfer rules.

That's a spitball of what I think would the pitch would be. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's the only type of thing that could kind of make sense for why they should play right away. It does ignore the fact that they left Maryland while they were in the process of being suspended, and what impact the suspension may have had on that decision.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
I may be in the minority here, but with the uncertainty of fans being allowed this coming season, I’m starting to want our transfers to have to sit the year, so us fans and the team has 2+ years to watch all these transfers play in person.
I agree with you. Go ahead with the 7-8 players we have, add some good walk ons and go with what was always the plan - that the transfers would sit out a year.

Next year could very well be a shortened season anyway.

If I'm DJ Johnson I have to keep wondering if these 4 guys are going to be taking playing time away from me (or not). Just settle the roster and stop continually wondering what Lawyers can conjure up.
We lawyers can conjure up a lot!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I've said on this board for well over a decade that the best time of year to be a Rhody basketball fan is the off-season. You are over-rating the new players.

Also, if the transfer rule passes for 21-22, what makes you think these players will stay at URI after witnessing URI's commitment to the basketball program a la Tyrese and Jacob?
NCAAs or Bust!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Well for one thing they can't transfer again without losing eligibility so it would be detrimental to transfer again.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago Well for one thing they can't transfer again without losing eligibility so it would be detrimental to transfer again.
Yes they can, grad transfer.
Go Rhody
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago Well for one thing they can't transfer again without losing eligibility so it would be detrimental to transfer again.
If I’m not mistaken, if the transfers have to sit out this upcoming season, they won’t be able to grad transfer. Isn’t it five academic years to complete four years of athletic eligibility?
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

JimSidd wrote: 4 years ago
If I’m not mistaken, if the transfers have to sit out this upcoming season, they won’t be able to grad transfer. Isn’t it five academic years to complete four years of athletic eligibility?
They would graduate as red shirt juniors (their 4th year) meaning they would be immediately eligible for their red shirt senior year (their 5th year).
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Why engage with 72 speculating that guys who haven’t spent 3 days on campus are going to transfer already????

It’s such obvious trolling.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......was there one this past Wednesday nite?......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
CamsRams
Tom Garrick