2019 Offseason Discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 2019 Offseason Discussion

Unread post by Rhody83 »

A longer video of their workout. I know Chase is looking forward to having a complete offseason with these guys. Expect big results for next season.
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

How about 3 point and free throw shooting crowd?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The players shoot every day.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great stuff indeed
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Who was the 3rd guy? Didn't look like CT or Tyrese...kinda looked like Preston but have to imagine as a graduate he isn't still working out with the team. Also worth noting was Marial squatting 60% less weight than Fatts, should tell you a bit about how much strength work that kid will need to get to what is necessary at Div 1 level.
The three big guys are Cyril, Harris & Walker.
BAR a weightlifting expert :oops: with the 60% less comment. You forgot the weight of the bar which is either 35 lbs or 45 lbs.
so Mading is using somewhere between 32-35% less weight. This last few months is the first time he has been in a legit S&C program. The others are 1-3 years ahead of him.
The exercise isn’t a heavy weight exercise. It is more about the depth of the squat and the smoothness (slower motion). They are doing this on an incline as well.
Yeah realized I forgot the bar in my calculation but was too lazy to redo the math. So fake news and 60% it was :). And while they weren’t maxing out on squats and form is key, i’d say it’s a fairly good barometer for how much strength Marial lacks compared to our 5’10 160 pound PG.
No knock on the kid but moreso to illustrate what a big leap it is from high school to college athletics.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

If you are judging based on that (which you shouldn’t) you should also conclude that our 5’10” PG is as strong as our three big men. They all had 25 lbs weights on the bar.
RhodyRamFan69
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyRamFan69 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Who was the 3rd guy? Didn't look like CT or Tyrese...kinda looked like Preston but have to imagine as a graduate he isn't still working out with the team. Also worth noting was Marial squatting 60% less weight than Fatts, should tell you a bit about how much strength work that kid will need to get to what is necessary at Div 1 level.
BAR a weightlifting expert :oops: with the 60% less comment. You forgot the weight of the bar which is either 35 lbs or 45 lbs.
so Mading is using somewhere between 32-35% less weight. This last few months is the first time he has been in a legit S&C program. The others are 1-3 years ahead of him.
The exercise isn’t a heavy weight exercise. It is more about the depth of the squat and the smoothness (slower motion). They are doing this on an incline as well.
Yeah realized I forgot the bar in my calculation but was too lazy to redo the math. So fake news and 60% it was :). And while they weren’t maxing out on squats and form is key, i’d say it’s a fairly good barometer for how much strength Marial lacks compared to our 5’10 160 pound PG.
No knock on the kid but moreso to illustrate what a big leap it is from high school to college athletics.
Friendly reminder that Kevin Durant couldn't get 185lbs off his chest in college. Marial is a guard, I'm more concerned with him gaining agility and speed in the offseason.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRamFan69 wrote: 5 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago

Friendly reminder that Kevin Durant couldn't get 185lbs off his chest in college. Marial is a guard, I'm more concerned with him gaining agility and speed in the offseason.
And please have all training efforts consider impact on improving shooting efficiency for all - our greatest weakness in 2018-2019
Last edited by ramster 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

More encouraging news from Chase from another workout
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

not a fan of chase - find his posts to be self serving and promoting himself, rather than the team - figure out a weight lifting exercise that can get the team to shoot better than 20% from 3.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Oh god his posts are insufferable.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

bkoeppen wrote: 5 years ago not a fan of chase - find his posts to be self serving and promoting himself, rather than the team - figure out a weight lifting exercise that can get the team to shoot better than 20% from 3.
Yup. He wants a pat on the back every time the players work out. I guess everyone of us should post what went well at work for us everyday. I’m not sure what we have accomplished so far with his weight lifting? The programs look like they could have some value, but how about concentrating on improving 3 pt and foul shooting.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
bkoeppen wrote: 5 years ago not a fan of chase - find his posts to be self serving and promoting himself, rather than the team - figure out a weight lifting exercise that can get the team to shoot better than 20% from 3.
Yup. He wants a pat on the back every time the players work out. I guess everyone of us should post what went well at work for us everyday. I’m not sure what we have accomplished so far with his weight lifting? The programs look like they could have some value, but how about concentrating on improving 3 pt and foul shooting.
We did not suffer last season due to strength and conditioning. We lost because we were a horrible 3 point shooting team.
All these weight training promotions seem excessive. Would love to see videos of how we are working on our most glaring weakness.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Heavy leg strengthening exercises for everyone. Heavy upper body work for inside players. Light upper body work for perimeter players. I don't want shooters to look like bodybuilders. I want their upper bodies to be loose.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

What a fan base. He knows what he is doing. Just like Marshall did the years he was here. The videos are taken by Video Coordinator. They are a planned effort by the staff to promote Rhody’s S&C to recruits and fans. Support your team.

I think Chase, Cox and the coaches all know more about the amount and type of strength & conditioning is best for the players than everyone on this Board.

I also think Cox, all the of coaches and all of the players know more about improving their shooting than everyone on Twitter his Boatd.

If only Rhody had coach for the day and trainer for the day, our team would be so much better with all the experts in our fan base.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Can people please stop inferring these guys need to take more practice shots. I guarantee these kids live in the gym getting up shots, work with personal trainers all summer on skill development and in general bust their ass to have a chance to play at the next level and achieve their dreams. You don’t get to D1 without countless hours in the gym working on your game without cameras or eyeballs on you.

Also you could take 1,000 free throws in an empty Ryan Center and not 1 of them would help you much when there are 3 minutes left in a high stakes game in front of 10,000 people and you have to make two. It’s focus and confidence and the ability to repeat solid mechanics in high stress situations, that’s hard to simulate in a practice setting. I promise these kids practice free throws even if you don’t see an Instagram video of them doing so.
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago What a fan base. He knows what he is doing. Just like Marshall did the years he was here. The videos are taken by Video Coordinator. They are a planned effort by the staff to promote Rhody’s S&C to recruits and fans. Support your team.

I think Chase, Cox and the coaches all know more about the amount and type of strength & conditioning is best for the players than everyone on this Board.

I also think Cox, all the of coaches and all of the players know more about improving their shooting than everyone on Twitter his Boatd.

If only Rhody had coach for the day and trainer for the day, our team would be so much better with all the experts in our fan base.
These posts are coming from his Instagram account, not rhodymbb or another university account. maybe he is getting help with video taping, but no way are these a coordinated effort by the team, nor do they really help with recruiting or help generate fans, that's just not true - every school has a weight training program - recruits are not impressed. If you don't see the self promotion in his posts, not sure what to tell you - the crap he posted on the beach in Hawaii, was so stupid and self serving - just not a fan of the self promotion, he could be a great strength coach, time will tell. the job of a strength coach is to keep your guys healthy and strong, which he did a pretty good job of this year. I was joking about finding exercises to make the 3 pt. shooting better - obviously that's not the job of a strength coach.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

If it is so insufferable then dont follow him it is pretty simple. I think chase is a good s&c coach and those who think other wise dont really matter anyways. You guys find anything and everything to complain about. Too hard schedule now. When most complained they couldnt get good opponents. Now attacking the strength coach for god forbid promoting the necessary work you need to gain explosiveness...durability...overall strength.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

In order to play tough hard defense. Attack the basket explosively through contact. Get rebounds as a wing or guard in traffic with big guys. All this work needs to be done now.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bkoeppen wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago What a fan base. He knows what he is doing. Just like Marshall did the years he was here. The videos are taken by Video Coordinator. They are a planned effort by the staff to promote Rhody’s S&C to recruits and fans. Support your team.

These posts are coming from his Instagram account, not rhodymbb or another university account. maybe he is getting help with video taping, but no way are these a coordinated effort by the team, nor do they really help with recruiting or help generate fans, that's just not true - every school has a weight training program - recruits are not impressed. If you don't see the self promotion in his posts, not sure what to tell you - the crap he posted on the beach in Hawaii, was so stupid and self serving - just not a fan of the self promotion, he could be a great strength coach, time will tell. the job of a strength coach is to keep your guys healthy and strong, which he did a pretty good job of this year. I was joking about finding exercises to make the 3 pt. shooting better - obviously that's not the job of a strength coach.
I will let Ryan McCloskey (who told me) know that he is wrong. If you don’t think Coach Cox has input to everything that includes URI basketball, you don’t know how a D1 MBB program is run.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Oh..M...Gee. You all realize social media posts are highlight reels and nothing more, right? If someone posts a pic of their dinner they’re not showing you their meal prep and their cleanup, correct? Same goes for what Campbell and the players are posting. That account is his personal account and isn’t part of the official Rhody MBB account if you think he “promotes himself”. I am certain David and the rest of the staff have full confidence in Chase and what he’s doing. Based on what I see on IG these guys are shooting around at the RC. Plus, it’s not their responsibility to appease you with their every move in the off season. Sometimes I’m surprised I don’t see someone commenting on what one of these guys is having for dinner, “well, when I played JV... we had blue cheese and not ranch”.
Last edited by Taylor Swift 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

bkoeppen wrote: 5 years ago

I will let Ryan McCloskey (who told me) know that he is wrong. If you don’t think Coach Cox has input to everything that includes URI basketball, you don’t know how a D1 MBB program is run.
Great tell him and the tooth fairy I say hi!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Any news on the coaching staff?
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

It is interesting that Thompson is graduating and didn’t look into grad transfer option to get more playing time.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago It is interesting that Thompson is graduating and didn’t look into grad transfer option to get more playing time.
I know he didn’t perform up to expectations, especially offensively, but I still think he’s a classy guy and an asset to the team.
Last edited by Rhody74 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Slava Ukraini!
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Good for him! He clearly understands his opportunity at URI is more than just basketball.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

All the best luck to Christion, Will, and Ryan on graduating in a few weeks.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

And he'll be able to start on his master's degree. Congrats.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Jeff top player and top scholar
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

APRs are out- URI scored 1000 for 17-18. Multi-year rate stands at 990.

17-18: 1000
16-17: 1000
15-16: 979
14-15: 980
13-14: 979
12-13: 1000

Kind of different than the 813 from 2011-12 (multi-year rate at that point was 926).
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Is there a link or cliffnotes on how it's calculated - essentially you maintain 1000 if players that transfer out land/enroll somewhere else? Layssard will be our first true negative in a few years, no?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

This is the Cliff's Notes version:
book.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Section104 wrote: 5 years ago Is there a link or cliffnotes on how it's calculated - essentially you maintain 1000 if players that transfer out land/enroll somewhere else? Layssard will be our first true negative in a few years, no?
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/res ... -explained

The APR is calculated as follows:

Each student-athlete receiving athletically related financial aid earns one point for staying in school and one point for being academically eligible.

A team’s total points are divided by points possible and then multiplied by 1,000 to equal the team’s Academic Progress Rate.

In addition to a team’s current-year APR, its rolling four-year APR is also used to determine accountability.

Teams must earn a four-year average APR of 930 to compete in championships.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

How does it handle one-and-dones? Seems there should be some negative consequences for programs that keep turning over like that. A one-and-done really only needs to go to classes for the fall semester and take the spring semester off.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Should we be getting concerned with the amount of people transferring out of the program?
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago Should we be getting concerned with the amount of people transferring out of the program?
I’m not.
Slava Ukraini!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago Should we be getting concerned with the amount of people transferring out of the program?
I’m not.
Same.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Happens at almost every program when there is a new coach.

Same thing happened with Hurley when he took over.
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago

We were told that Cox was the only one we should consider hiring because he was the only one who could continue what was happening under Hurley. That if we hired someone else we would have a mass exodus. He doesn't get the new coach excuse. He's lost one of the recruits and five players early, that's concerning.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

A Grad Transfer is different. Christion was here for 4 years and is graduating.
Not concerned at all.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Different set of circumstances. Hurley had guys who were kicked out of school or not academically eligible (to the point that keeping them would have led to sanctions) or went to play for their dad (although that’s really just the one guy).

Looking objectively at Cox’s body of work so far, it seems like he may not be so opposed to pushing guys out. Every coach has to handle their program in the way they feel is appropriate. There’s been a lot of turnover, and I don’t think Cox necessarily should be criticized or reflexively defended for it. I do think it’s something that will be interesting to check moving forward.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago

Different set of circumstances. Hurley had guys who were kicked out of school or not academically eligible (to the point that keeping them would have led to sanctions) or went to play for their dad (although that’s really just the one guy).

Looking objectively at Cox’s body of work so far, it seems like he may not be so opposed to pushing guys out. Every coach has to handle their program in the way they feel is appropriate. There’s been a lot of turnover, and I don’t think Cox necessarily should be criticized or reflexively defended for it. I do think it’s something that will be interesting to check moving forward.
Agree.
Akele and Thompson graduated so that is different. I don’t think Akele got pushed out. He left because he wanted to play pro ball back home. Thompson could’ve been persuaded based on projected playing time next year (discussed in year end interview).

Layssard was dismissed for disciplinary reasons.
Tertsea was a recruiting mistake. He could’ve been pushed out. Btw, he hasn’t left URI yet and is working on graduating.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Have we lost any significant players? If so, I missed it. A couple of decent role players, maybe. If Jeff, Cyril, Fatts, Tyrese or Jermaine had transferred, I might be concerned.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago Have we lost any significant players? If so, I missed it. A couple of decent role players, maybe. If Jeff, Cyril, Fatts, Tyrese or Jermaine had transferred, I might be concerned.
I agree. There hasn’t been one player that has left that we should lose any sleep over. This creates more minutes for a Martin, Sheppard and potentially if we land someone else
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago Have we lost any significant players? If so, I missed it. A couple of decent role players, maybe. If Jeff, Cyril, Fatts, Tyrese or Jermaine had transferred, I might be concerned.
I agree. There hasn’t been one player that has left that we should lose any sleep over. This creates more minutes for a Martin, Sheppard and potentially if we land someone else
With the exception of the Greek kid who set world record for fouls per second, all new replacements have been better than the guys who left.
Slava Ukraini!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Winner winner!
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Do we know what happened with Layssard?
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I’ve been following Tony Bennett at Virginia since day one. During the first several years I was concerned with the players they were coming in and out of his program but look what happened. You might recall that Billy Barron went there his first year and transferred out pretty quickly.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago
With the exception of the Greek kid who set world record for fouls per second, all new replacements have been better than the guys who left.
How do we know that? Tertsea and Layssard for instance were considered three star bigs with potential and we haven't seen what the new players will do. They could be better, they could just ride the bench until they leave or they could be busts Aris style
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago
I’ve been following Tony Bennett at Virginia since day one. During the first several years I was concerned with the players they were coming in and out of his program but look what happened. You might recall that Billy Barron went there his first year and transferred out pretty quickly.
Tony Bennett took over a program he wasn't affiliated with that was doing poorly, Cox took over a program he was very involved in that was running well, two totally different things. Also the main reason for hiring Cox was continuity and yet we're hemorrhaging players that he was involved in recruiting and coaching. Why?

You'll have to forgive me that I'm not ready to favorably compare Bennett and Cox