1/9 | Richmond Spiders | 7PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/9 | Richmond Spiders | 7PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago ......all above is a competitive bingo.....if the development of the post players is slower than the other younger players, as has been pointed out, and JH demonstrated other skills as prep player......then the conversion to low post back to hoop player could take even longer.......so he comes then a high level player as what junior/senior?.......I am not ragging on JH, but I am just wondering the value and lost of any conversion of a talented player to a relatively new position......for me, Harris and the handling of him thus far is still a mystery......
A lot of it has to do with his injury.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago ......all above is a competitive bingo.....if the development of the post players is slower than the other younger players, as has been pointed out, and JH demonstrated other skills as prep player......then the conversion to low post back to hoop player could take even longer.......so he comes then a high level player as what junior/senior?.......I am not ragging on JH, but I am just wondering the value and lost of any conversion of a talented player to a relatively new position......for me, Harris and the handling of him thus far is still a mystery......
You missed the patience part. He is half way into his Fr year and you push his impact all the way to Jr/Sr year.
He will be an impact player as a Soph. This is a building year for Rhody any way. The focus is really having everyone contributing at a high level next year for a NCAA Tournament year.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Looking down the road a little bit, Jermaine and Antwan will be playing together for 3 years. What type of player is Antwan? Is he a post player? If so, does Jermaine go back to being a stretch 4?
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Antwan is a hybrid 3/4 in college.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Just a thought here, Jermaine was a stretch four in high school, we used Stan as a four in our four guard lineup last year, and when Dana plays the four he’s obviously a stretch four, why don’t we try to use Jermaine’s inherent skills as a stretch four and let him learn playing with his back to the basket over time? I’ve always been taught to play to your streaks and not your weaknesses. After all, who wants a bunch of strong weaknesses? I get that we need more bigs under the basket and we are thin in that area, but why can’t Jarmaine play some stretch four on occasion?
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago Just a thought here, Jermaine was a stretch four in high school, we used Stan as a four in our four guard lineup last year, and when Dana plays the four he’s obviously a stretch four, why don’t we try to use Jermaine’s inherent skills as a stretch four and let him learn playing with his back to the basket over time? I’ve always been taught to play to your streaks and not your weaknesses. After all, who wants a bunch of strong weaknesses?
I think it was easier for him to play on the perimeter in high school, he really needs to work on both but his will never be an all conference level player until he can play inside.

I think he is just a little behind still and that is ok, when February rolls around I expect he willl look a lot more comfortable. He is where Dana and Tyrese were in early December.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Supporting the patience point -
Jeff:
after 14 games into his Fr year (he had played in 11 games) Jeff had 3 Ast, 6 TOs & 3.6 ppg. I am aware that he had an injury and had Garrett in front of him. In 7 of the games he played 14+ minutes.

Cyril:
after 14 games his Fr year (he played all 14) Cyril avg 3.2 ppg, 5.6 rebs

Harris:
after 14 games Harris avg 5.1 ppg, 3.6 rebs
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Supporting the patience point -
Jeff:
after 14 games into his Fr year (he had played in 11 games) Jeff had 3 Ast, 6 TOs & 3.6 ppg. I am aware that he had an injury and had Garrett in front of him. In 7 of the games he played 14+ minutes.

Cyril:
after 14 games his Fr year (he played all 14) Cyril avg 3.2 ppg, 5.6 rebs

Harris:
after 14 games Harris avg 5.1 ppg, 3.6 rebs
I’m not worried about Harris at all.
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I feel like we are just waiting for it to click for Jermaine. All the tools are there for him to be really good right now, and projecting some year over year improvement he has a chance to be a great player here. Anyone shocked or concerned that it hasn’t clicked yet shouldn’t be. As 83 points out, it takes guys time even if it is easy to forget that when you’re watching it in real time. On a scale of 1 to 10, worried about Jermaine about a 1.5.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago I feel like we are just waiting for it to click for Jermaine. All the tools are there for him to be really good right now, and projecting some year over year improvement he has a chance to be a great player here. Anyone shocked or concerned that it hasn’t clicked yet shouldn’t be. As 83 points out, it takes guys time even if it is easy to forget that when you’re watching it in real time. On a scale of 1 to 10, worried about Jermaine about a 1.5.
The jury is always out on bigs until conference play sophomore year. They just take longer to adjust.

He’s certainly battling an injury.

Regardless it looks like Dana and Rese are going to be the freshmen who own this class for 4 years.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL