Game 8: Providence College (Saturday, Dec 5, 7:00pm ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Wayne
Frenchy Tomlin

Re: Game 8: Providence College (Saturday, Dec 5, 7:00pm ESPN

Unread post by Wayne »

I enjoyed looking at the cute little prediction thread that they got going on over on the Friar board. So, I figured I'd put my 2 cents in:

School with the high ROI- 67
Elitist, pompous douchebags drowning in student loan debt until they die and still act like their team plays in the Old Big East- 62

Look, I have friends that have went to PC and some that are PC fans, but there is a certain cohort of fans up north that make it incredibly difficult for me to even try to pull for them the other 364 days of the year, as much as I would like to. It would appear there are some fans up there that take the identity of their coach.

One week ago if you asked me about this game, I would have said "Ehh... tough game against a good opponent. Would be happy with a close win." Then after hearing Cooley's comments this week and seeing their fans feed off that, I wish them nothing but heartbreak and devastation. I want to knock them off their pedestal and drink their tears after the game. I want them to be embarrassed. And then, I want them to be mildly inconvenienced by getting stuck in moderate traffic through campus after the game because they don't know how to take the backroads through NK. I plan on yelling so loud at this game that I have to be transported to South County Hospital afterwards with a ruptured esophagus--- and I hope many of you are with me.

Forget how we feel the rest of the year--- today is Fuck PC day. Not a rivalry my ass.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I am on board with renaming the day Fuck PC Day.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

TruePoint wrote:I am on board with renaming the day Fuck PC Day.
Could that also be the chant of 7500 people tonight?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Would be on board for that, as well. It is not going to be a family atmosphere tonight! Leave the little children at home and wear black at your own risk.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Wayne wrote:And then, I want them to be mildly inconvenienced by getting stuck in moderate traffic through campus after the game because they don't know how to take the backroads through NK.
For some reason this part made me laugh my ass off. Well done.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

RF1 wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:"Only" 1500 will get tickets but there was a few thousand lined up.Amazing really. Really wish they could have planned for more student seats.

That's why I decided early on that I would offer my nephew, a URI senior, my other ticket. He missed getting in two years ago for the PC game as he went too late to get in line. I wanted to make certain he at least experienced this home game once as a student. He has gone to most of the other games thus far via the student route.
Very well done, RF1! He will remember today for a long time and his Uncle whose generosity made it happen.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:Would be on board for that, as well. It is not going to be a family atmosphere tonight! Leave the little children at home and wear black at your own risk.
Maybe EZ Buckets can get that chant started...LOL. That would be hilarious!!!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I hope the students are "preparing" for the game as we speak. I "prepare" a little differently these days, but I hope they are "preparing" like I used to "prepare".
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ATPTourFan wrote:So as far as basketball strategy goes, most experts like DiSano (and Dan Hurley himself) believe it must be a game where EITHER

1) Let Dunn be a scorer all by himself for better and for worse

OR

2) Try to limit Dunn's impact and take your chances with others who may be affected by the environment.
Give him the Glenn Robinson treatment (1993 NCAA vs. Purdue). Let him do what he wants and shut down everyone else. Robinson scored 36 against us (over half their points) and Rhody won 74-68.

Conversely, if memory serves, EC Matthews had 27 points in loss to PC last year.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

Billyboy78 wrote:I hope the students are "preparing" for the game as we speak. I "prepare" a little differently these days, but I hope they are "preparing" like I used to "prepare".
Yes, I will be "prepared." This is mostly due to the 30 nips that will be drank between my friends and I while we stand in line AGAIN later today.

FUCK PC
FUCK Providence College
FUCK the Friars
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Good luck, URI!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

HASwatTeam wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:I hope the students are "preparing" for the game as we speak. I "prepare" a little differently these days, but I hope they are "preparing" like I used to "prepare".
Yes, I will be "prepared." This is mostly due to the 30 nips that will be drank between my friends and I while we stand in line AGAIN later today.

FUCK PC
FUCK Providence College
FUCK the Friars
Those wristbands don't get you assigned seats, right? You have to get back in line again for the good seats. What time will that line start?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:So as far as basketball strategy goes, most experts like DiSano (and Dan Hurley himself) believe it must be a game where EITHER

OR

2) Try to limit Dunn's impact and take your chances with others who may be affected by the environment.
Give him the Glenn Robinson treatment (1993 NCAA vs. Purdue). Let him do what he wants and shut down everyone else. Robinson scored 36 against us (over half their points) and Rhody won 74-68.

Conversely, if memory serves, EC Matthews had 27 points in loss to PC last year.

My biggest thing with Dunn is let him choose if he wants to try to beat us by himself from the perimeter or trust his teammates to do it, but in either case make your #1 priority keeping him out of the lane and making him a jump shooter if he is going to score. I wouldn't chase him all over the court to try to take him out of the game. I'm usually against our team playing zone because we are so effective playing man, but this is a game where I'd be willing to pack in some zone for stretches, take care of the glass, protect Hassan from foul trouble and make them beat you from 22 feet.
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

Billyboy78 wrote:
HASwatTeam wrote:

FUCK PC
FUCK Providence College
FUCK the Friars
Those wristbands don't get you assigned seats, right? You have to get back in line again for the good seats. What time will that line start?
Yea they don't give assigned seats. The line to get in has already started, once people got their wristbands they were forming a new line since entry starts at 5:30. I personally am getting there at 4pm.

FUCK PC
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TP, the intelligent "people" on the PC board are accusing you of threating children and anyone wearing black.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:The line goes from the front of the Ryan Center, past that little lot by Codington, almost up to (when I last saw it) Butterfield Rd

Our 'kids' are in line...just curious how far up "1500" is likely to be...
Oh, I thought you meant the dorm.

Success for both! They were about at that little parking lot by Coddington...and made it. Given the number of students it looked like that included...should be a GREAT atmosphere tonight.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Any idea how many students had to be turned away?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:
steviep123 wrote:

OR

My biggest thing with Dunn is let him choose if he wants to try to beat us by himself from the perimeter or trust his teammates to do it, but in either case make your #1 priority keeping him out of the lane and making him a jump shooter if he is going to score. I wouldn't chase him all over the court to try to take him out of the game. I'm usually against our team playing zone because we are so effective playing man, but this is a game where I'd be willing to pack in some zone for stretches, take care of the glass, protect Hassan from foul trouble and make them beat you from 22 feet.
But don't let Fazekas or Lindsey shoot from outside,The rest can shoot all day long from 3 because they can't.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:TP, the intelligent "people" on the PC board are accusing you of threating children and anyone wearing black.
Haha. Don't go to that board, Billy. You pay an IQ tax every time you do.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:TP, the intelligent "people" on the PC board are accusing you of threating children and anyone wearing black.
Oh man I just made the mistake of going over there to see what they said. Never again! Shocked to see that our old pal Sean is completely making things up about what others are saying here to try and get his PC pals to like him. It is flattering to see that he is still so obsessed with us over here though.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Oh man I just made the mistake of going over there to see what they said. Never again! Shocked to see that our old pal Sean is completely making things up about what others are saying here to try and get his PC pals to like him. It is flattering to see that he is still so obsessed with us over here though.
They don't like Seanie there either. He is obsessed. Always trashing and quoting this board because he got banned. I'd love a RHODY win tonight to shut him up about 5 straight. He's still adjusting to life as a mid major still going through the denial stage :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

If some students don't get into the game, I hope they don't give up. There always seems to be ticket scalpers as I walk to the Ryan Center during the bigger games. I'd rather Rhody fans get them instead of a PC fan.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Crap I just realized there is a football game on before this on ESPNU. I wonder how much of it I am going to miss because that games goes long! Looks like its not even on ESPN3 online either. Says its blacked out.
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

adam914 wrote:
Wayne wrote:And then, I want them to be mildly inconvenienced by getting stuck in moderate traffic through campus after the game because they don't know how to take the backroads through NK.
For some reason this part made me laugh my ass off. Well done.
That line just made my day.
Wayne
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Wayne »

TruePoint wrote:
They should be less concerned with tonight's game and trashing us and more concerned with how they're going to go about paying for their grossly overpriced education. They laugh at our conference and location? I laugh at their monthly student loan payments.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Wayne wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
They should be less concerned with tonight's game and trashing us and more concerned with how they're going to go about paying for their grossly overpriced education. They laugh at our conference and location? I laugh at their monthly student loan payments.
The thing is, 90% of their fans don't have student loans from PC or anywhere else, unless they borrowed money to get their GED. But yes, nobody in higher education is getting less for more than PC students. I mean, I almost feel bad for the rich Catholic kids from NJ who couldn't get into Notre Dame, Holy Cross, Georgetown, BC, Villanova or Fordham and had to go to PC to get their degree in 18th Century British Literature or whatever they teach there. But then I remember that, no, I actually don't feel bad at all. Fuck them.
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Can someone link me to their board? I'd love to lose some brain cells
Wayne
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Wayne »

Joe wrote:Can someone link me to their board? I'd love to lose some brain cells
Proceed with caution. Brain cells do NOT grow back. I assume no liability for any damages incurred.
http://www.scout.com/college/providence ... friar-talk
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Wayne wrote:
Joe wrote:Can someone link me to their board? I'd love to lose some brain cells
Proceed with caution. Brain cells do NOT grow back. I assume no liability for any damages incurred.
http://www.scout.com/college/providence ... friar-talk
I'm out

"Wish we had Chuckwu and Fortune right now, we would be a Top 5 or Top 10 ranked team."

And we're "delusional"
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I hate the Pee-C Fryizz
and everything about Pee-C
I hate the hype that Kris Kardashian gets
and I hate Ernie D
I hate the Big East Conference
and the Dunkin Donuts Dump too
I hate the Pee-C Fryizz
so if you're a Fryuh I hate you!!!!!
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I think we will get a huge game from KI and enough surrounding support to win.....I think KI will not get overwhelmed by the moment, the opponent or the big stage.....the first couple of possessions are gonna be key.....hit the first free throw.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

I got my " JUST SAY NO " t shirt on! "Friends don't let friends go to Providence college"
F-Pee Cee. I hope they BOO Cooly every time tonight!!!!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Can anyone explain the reasoning behind PC fans constant comparisons and insulting of the eduction level of Uri versus PC? It's as if they don't know anything about URI At all. It's funny though really lol, and PC fans seem to be very sensitive. They try to say it's " our Super Bowl" but they have abouy 4 threads going about this game. I usually hold back on non basketball comments, but whatever go rhody.
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

It is GO TIME!!!!!!!!!!! LETS DO THIS!!!!!!!!!! Heading to the RC!!!!!!!!!
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Can anyone explain the reasoning behind PC fans constant comparisons and insulting of the eduction level of Uri versus PC? It's as if they don't know anything about URI At all. It's funny though really lol, and PC fans seem to be very sensitive. They try to say it's " our Super Bowl" but they have abouy 4 threads going about this game. I usually hold back on non basketball comments, but whatever go rhody.
Many people insult their bosses.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

So they are just starting the second half of the football game on ESPNU. Pretty sure we'll miss the first 10 minutes of the game at least at this point.
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

watch espn app
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

KMar970 wrote:watch espn app
I checked on there before and it said it was blacked out everywhere for some reason. Hopefully they'll put it on there (or ESPN news or something) at least to start.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

It's listed on the Watch Espn app so unless there's a problem, then it should be good.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Actually looking again now I realize it says its blacked out on ESPN3, not Watch ESPN. Always so confusing how those are two different things!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

New rule: any URI season-ticket holder who sells, trades, lends, gives or otherwise transfers his tickets to one of Them shall be stripped of his season-ticket privileges and all Priority Points he or she may have accumulated. I'm nauseated just walking around the concourse.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:New rule: any URI season-ticket holder who sells, trades, lends, gives or otherwise transfers his tickets to one of Them shall be stripped of his season-ticket privileges and all Priority Points he or she may have accumulated. I'm nauseated just walking around the concourse.
+1000
Slava Ukraini!
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

Pretty sure I just saw Layssard walk in. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong about a recruit being on campus though.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

THE LATEST LISTING (VIA ESPN)
12/057:00 PM EST#23 Providence vs. Rhode Island (M Basketball)
ESPNU
12/057:06 PM EST#23 Providence vs. Rhode Island (M Basketball)
ESPNEWS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

860_rhody wrote:Pretty sure I just saw Layssard walk in. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong about a recruit being on campus though.
Yeah he is there. Koch confirmed on Twitter.
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

I hate Alcon st and grambling now!!! Hurry up
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

espnnews
adam914
Ernie Calverley