Game #9: @ Providence College - InGame!!!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Game #9: @ Providence College - InGame!!!

Unread post by TruePoint »

seanmc94 wrote:True point,

How is a double digit win almost losing?
I'm not sure I understand the question, because I don't think I ever used the words "almost lost." The point I was making is that you guys have reacted to the game as if it said something about where both of these programs are heading, and I think that is a mistake. Not only was the game basically meaningless (in the big picture - obviously we both wanted to win) because of who played in the game for both teams, but the game itself was certainly not decisive. I haven't heard from one URI fan who thought URI couldn't or shouldn't have won the game with a decent effort, and no fan of either team thinks that was really a 15 point game. As I've said, if Henton or Batts played poorly and Munford played well, the game could have gone the other way. That isn't the same as saying URI almost won, because your guys didn't almost play poorly and our guy didn't almost play well. But if they played again this week, I think it's just as likely that we would see the opposite result.

Boiled down, my point is that there aren't any conclusions to draw from the game, because I don't think there was much difference between the teams (they're both bad), and we can't conclude much about the future based on who played in the game for each team.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

My observations of the game:
- Arrived at 5pm so never really saw the traffic jams discussed here.
- Seats looked empty 5 minutes before game because of traffic, but also people having met up in the many bars around the Dunk. Also the concession area aisles were packed with people.
- Crowd of 9400 would seem accurate to me. The seats not occupped are crummy seats. The good news about both teams being bad is that good seats are easy to come by
- The award to the PC Golf Coach was touching - amazing that a guy would coach the same sport at a College for 50+ years
- Never thought I would say this. I did not want Brooks back this year or any year, I have never wanted him to play, never. But I have to eat some words here. We were hurt with Brooks getting injured and playing only 4 minutes. He had 3 rebounds in 4 minutes. Hurley has done a great job with Brooks. Has him playing within his capabilities, rebounding, blocking some shots and altering some shots. The ability of this Coaching staff of Bobby and Dan may be no more evident with any player on this team than Brooks. Makes me eagerly anticipate the future years when we get some strong talent in. Wish Holton had been around for Hurley to work with him in all areas of his life and game.
- URI could not contain Henton. The kid grabbed a career high 17 rebounds. He went off on us in the 2nd half. TJ did a commendable job of guarding Henton. Gives an idea of our lack of inside defender talent and depth when Hurley puts 6'3" 195lb TJ up against 6'6" 235lb Henton. But have to give TJ credit - he was tough as nails. Got one great save with a classic dive in front of the URI bench.
- 1st half turnover/steal by Nik at halfcourt was odd. Nik has a step on the field at halfcourt heading off for what would be a surefire dunk. That dunk would of course get us 2 easy points, enlighten the URI fans and quiet the PC fans - put the PC player grabed Nik and a foul was called. I thought it should be an intentional foul. PC prevented a sure 2 points on a break-a-way. URI instead got the ball out-of-bounds. Having seen 2 intentional fouls called on us in the Auburn game (one just for URI pulling a guys jersey 30 feet from the basket), I don't understand this call. Maybe someone can help me with this one.
- Great game by Hare, lot's of fire in his belly.
- Most quiet, reserved crowd I have ever seen at a URI - PC Game and I have been to easily 40 or more.
- URI Mob up high in the 300 section and not a particulary big Mob
- URI crowd quiet, PC crowd quiet
- No URI Cheerleaders, no URI Band, no Rhody Mascot............depressing, depressing, depressing. Regardless of the reasons...it is depressing.
- Long for the days when the games were played at the Civic Center (I know it is the Dunk now) when it seemed like the crowd was about 60-40 or so. Cheerleaders for both schools, Mascots for both schools, bands for both schools, fired up fans for both schools.
- Now, as in most arenas, the PA Announcer and the Video Screens work to enthuse the crowd. In the old days the CROWD enthused the CROWD!!!!!!!!!!!!
- The two schools should get together and make a peace treaty. Give students from the opposition good seats near the court. These kids are not going to want to make the trip and sit in 300 level seats - they are proving that to be the case year after year for both schools. Bring back the bands, cheerleaders and Mascots for both schools. Have plenty of police and security to protect the Cheerleaders, Bands and Mascots
- For a state this small, and this rivalry to be so big, then it is a crime to run scared because of the potential for fights, etc. Security is the answer - don't punish the students and the fans.
- The PC Mascot leaves a lot to be desired. Looks more like a poor excuse for a Haloween costume - sorry but it's just what it looks like
- The PC giant Inflatable Friar at the end of the court is ugly, looks dirty,,,,,what the heck is that poor excuse for whatever it is supposed to be? That thing is uuuggggllllyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That thing makes the PC Friar Mascot actually look better.
- Good game by Mike Powell, he played his heart out. Hare played with energy and enthusiasm and displayed his talents well. PC players had respect for them.
- Nik has to get tough on the boards. Does not box out well. He should look to dish the ball out to the 3 point line more - he did that one time all night for a wide open 3 by Munford.
- Munford's shot was just not falling. I thought he should have let up knowing he was off. He ended up with 10 points but 6 were after the game was out of reach. Not like his shots were "going in and out" either. I felt every time he shot that the ball was not going in, unfortunately
- Tough shooting night, but lack of rebounding was our biggest weakness that was exposed. Wish we had Holton for Hurley to work with
- Agree with Rod that this game was winnable. We wilted in the last 10 minutes, especially on the Boards
- We looked more like the tired team than PC did.
- Mike Powell did a great defensive job on Cotton - step for step with him most all the time
- Some felt that this team had a lot of talent and that new Coaching would show the difference this year. I never thought we had so much talent and that the Coaching difference would help but not as much as some predicted. That said I was proud of watching our Coaching Staff run the show out there. Proud of the fight that Dan and Bobby bring to our University. These guys are winners, they are fighters and they are NOT by any means escuse makers.
- It is so nice to read about the game and not read and hear the post game, canned, predictable, maddening, frustrating, excuse laden comments that we have been hearing for the past 13 years or so (ever since Jim Harrick was here and departed in April 1999).
- Have to be patient. We have waited over a decade.
- I think and hope that we learn from this game. It could be a blessing for the future A10 Season - before the season I definitely had us ruled out of making Brooklyn, I am beginning to think that URI could make the A10 Tournament - some good progress being made by these players and by this Coaching staff. What a victory that would be to make Brooklyn.
Last edited by ramster 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

seanmc94 wrote:
bigappleram wrote:go home diablo, the 5 we put on the floor for next year's game wont look anything like yesterday. you will have the stronger back court (with or without Ledo), we will have a stronger front court.
congrats on yesterday, you beat next year's second team.
PCs front court next year is batts, Johnson a d Henton. Backed up by Harris derosiers and bullock.

Who ya got BAR?
I would guess Hare, Biruta, Martin, backed up by Onyekaba, Aaman and Reischel. Both front courts will be pretty strong next year.
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Well said, Ramster.
I'm getting the feeling that even Hurley
is realizing the mountain he has to climb,
judging from his tweet last night,
The solutions just aren't on this team.
Without getting into a brawl and having the negative back and forth,
you can't win with a PG shooting 27% for the year.
Yes, he works his butt off, and is playing terrific defense, and protects the ball.
But defenses don't worry about his offense, and can pack it in even more than
usual.
Malone is trying, but he's hardly as advertised.
Nik is lost in some other universe. Where did his shot go? He seems slower than last year.
Hare is going to be alright. Some of us wondered after the first few games, but he's showing
real progress.
I like Aaman. He should get more minutes, because he seems to be able to score down low.
I respect the effort Brooks has made to improve his game. I still think
developing Aaman is more important, in the big picture.
Munford has had two bad games, and a slew of really good ones. I wish he'd gone to the basket
more, Thursday.
TJ just doesn't have any game on offense. another effort guy.
Where was Bigby? Cameo on Thursday.
The long and short of it is, we just don't have the horses to do much this year.
On nights when Munford and anyone else isn't scoring, it's going to be ugly.
If we had another dependable scorer, or a solid forward, things would be different.
Gil Biruta isn't walking through that door. Hassan Martin isn't walking through that door.
EC Matthews isn't walking thought that door.
Not this year, anyhow.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

agree Rod
I think some thought we had more talent than we really had and in an overzealous reaction thought that Baron was such as bad Coach that there was lot's of untapped gold in the talentbase. Well, shows that the recruiting was not so hot either.
At any rate, the good news is that we can look to the future. Imagine that? We CAN look to the future.
If I was going to take one good news story into the future (which to me means next year but now also to me means the potential to make the Brooklyn A10 Tourney) it would be Jordan Hare. If any position could be picked to build a team around it would be the big man, the center. This kid shows flashes of Kenny Green. Not ready to say he will be Kenny Green yet, but there are flashes and some similarities. That is one heck of a compliment too. So Hurley can develop his transfers and his future recruits around Hare. He can show kids "look what we've got here to build around".
Tough loss, I hated it, but as you often remind us the future is bright.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Nice thorough summaries, Ramster and Rod. Thx.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Agree with everything on the last few posts except the one regarding Munford. Even if a shooter is having an off night, he can still be a scorer. You have to find ways to get a scorer going if his outside shot isn't falling. Run a play with X moving without the ball, either into the paint for a short jumper or something cutting to the basket for a layup. I know, easier said than done. Get out on the break for a layup. Sometimes an easy layup or an open 8 foot shot in the lane will get a shooter/scorer going. I do not think he should stop shooting if he is having an off night from the outside, but find some way to get him going. There aren't many offensive options for this team and for us to win, he has to score, one way or another.
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

ramster, are you serious? Powell did a great defensive job on Cotton? Cotton was at 50% and you could see him limping at times during the game, but he still scored 11 with 7 assists. It was his knee that did the great defensive job on Cotton, not Powell.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brutus wrote:ramster, are you serious? Powell did a great defensive job on Cotton? Cotton was at 50% and you could see him limping at times during the game, but he still scored 11 with 7 assists. It was his knee that did the great defensive job on Cotton, not Powell.
Cotton played 39 of 40 minutes. I did not see the favoring of hte knee that some saw. I saw a guy brining the ball up far faster than I could ever dream of running and Powell with him every inch of the way.
11 points and 7 assists - ok. Batts and Henton enabled a lot of these assists as Batts especially shot so well.
He was only 3-9 shooting = 33%
1-6 on 3 pointers and 4 turnovers
Hard to know how much of it was the injury for Cotton and how much was Powell's defense. But bottom line, 3-9 shooting, 1-6 on threes and 4 turnovers is no result to celebrate.

Descent game by Cotton but Powell gave a lot of effort. 40 minutes played, 3-9 fg, 4-5 ft, 3 rebounds, 2 assists 4 turnovers for 12 points.

We suffered dearly on rebounding. The top 3 Leading rebounders in the game from PC. We had 4 guys tied with 4 rebounds each - that is almost as ugly as the MC Mascot outfit.
Henton 17
Batts 9
Fortune 5
Hare 4
Malone 4
Munford 4
Malesevic 4

Agree Munford should have taken the ball inside but for the most part he chose not to, sometimes even when there was an opening he chose not to exploit it. I was thinking the same thing sitting in the stands, that Munford needed to score a couple of closer in shots, drives, breakaway layups or whatever to get some degree of confidence, but it never happended. His shot was cold. His 4-4 free throws looked smooth so that was encouraging.
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

Really ramster well I was at the game with URI fans and they thought Cotton looked like he was hurting, and Cooley also said the same thing after the game. Cooley said Cotton missed shots he normally makes if the knee wasn't bothering him.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Can't add much to what's been posted by Rod and Ramster. I will say that I'm very surprised by how Hare is developing. He looked lost at the beginning of the season. it's as if Pat Morita took him aside and said "You stay focused, Jonathan-San. You best basketball player inside. Now time to let it out."
I would like to see Aamen playing more as the season progresses. He's a tough, smart kid. it also looks like he's developing a shot. Munford has a lot of talent, but has to become more consistent.
Powell is working hard and improving defensively. He does have to improve his offense for the future. We've had too many pg's in the past who couldn't score.
At this point,I don't care about the upperclassmen.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brutus wrote:Really ramster well I was at the game with URI fans and they thought Cotton looked like he was hurting, and Cooley also said the same thing after the game. Cooley said Cotton missed shots he normally makes if the knee wasn't bothering him.
I was there as well.
Did not look to me like Cotton was hurting but I'll change my impression.... and just mark it with an asterisk ** and disqualify my statement since his defensive performance could have been effective only because of the injured opponent. He might have been taken to the cleaners had Cotton been healthy is the alternative I guess

I will add that Mike played a great defensive game against one of the best PGs in the Southeast Conference in Frankie Sullivan, a Senior. Here are Frankie's stats this year so far. I did not include Murray State since he got injured early in that game (should be an asterisk game).
IPFW 11-20 fg, 0 turnovers, 26 points
@Charleston 9-18 fg, 3 turnovers, 24 points
Dayton 6-15 fg, 2 turnovers, 23 points
@Boston College 8-14 fg, 5 turnovers, 23 points
Rhode Island 3-14 fg, 6 turnovers, 7 points
DePaul 9-17 fg, 4 turnovers, 28 points

So in 6 games Frankie has had 26,24,23,23,and then only 7 against Powell, then back for 28 against Depaul
Frankie had the most turnovers of the season with 6 playing against Mike.
He was a season worst 3-14 fg playing against Mike.

I'm not going to say Mike is the greatest PG in the Atlantic 10 but he has improved a lot over last year. I was not his biggest fan last year, but I can see differences that the Hurley's are making in players. Michael Brooks is one, Jordan Hare is another and Mike Powell is another.

I picked URI to win 4 games this year, the lowest of everyone, but I see so much improvement and progress in this team and in Hare, Brooks and Powell in particular that maybe this team can make the Brooklyn A10 Tourney - will not help me win the Prediction Contest but it is good to see the progress that this team is making. Clearly the Hurley's see Mike's contributions just looking at how they interact with him, coach him and play him.
At first I thought URI giving Ohio State such a competitive game was a bit of a fluke - but now I am thinking we are better than I thought we would be. Powell being voted to this team is a statement. He played Asron Craft tough as well holding him to 4-10fg and the only game Craft has played all 40 minutes this year. The 2012 Basketball Hall of Fame Tip-Off All-Tournament Team, as voted by the media:
Naismith Bracket:
Deshaun Thomas (Ohio State) - Most Valuable Player
Aaron Craft (Ohio State)
Fuquan Edwin (Seton Hall)
Mike Powell (Rhode island)
CJ Wilcox (Washington)
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I get your point, but have we ever had a PG shoot 27%?
Defenses can slough off and slide to Munford, or wherever they want.
I don't want to get into thie same back and forth we had a couple of weeks ago, but facts are facts.
This is a basketball issue, not personal.
Unless you have three or four scoring studs, your PG needs to contribute on offense.
Anytime we've won, was with Silk, Tyson and Jiggy. all big scorers. Of course, those
guys had a variety of teammates who were offensive threats to pass to.To a lesser extent,
we've had other PGs on decent teams, like Dawan, who could score.
Another major problem is, we really don't have a legitimate forward.
Malone and Nik are swingmen.
I don't see many wins this season in reality.
Hustle and defensive intensity are great changes, but in the end,
you still "hafta put da bawl inda baskit!"
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

hrstrat57 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:How many of these PC trolls actually are PC graduates?
zero
Class of 1994, second generation friar

Season ticket holder since graduation
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sean, we know you're legit. You've also been here awhile.
I don't think Billy's comment was meant for you.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

seanmc94 wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:
zero

OK, that's one...
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I didn't see any limp. I don't think he was getting off the floor like he can. He was much better than 50 percent.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I give Sean a hard time but he's no troll.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:I give Sean a hard time but he's no troll.
No, I'm thinking of the other 3 or 4 that we've seen in the past couple of days.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

i know you like the rankings hype Sean, so here ya go

i got biruta (all big east rookie team - has batts ever been honored for conference awards?)
hare who just had his career game against batts and henton and will only be bigger and stronger next year
onyekaba - 12th ranked C according to espn, Hare was 24th and we know what he did against you
hassan martin and jarelle reischel

put my 5 against yours any day....carson derosiers is a big stiff. sidiki will be a force, not sure on harris.
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

seanmc94 wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:
zero

class of 2004, brother was 2000, father did masters in 1994... season tix since 94 including student years obviously.

you can call me a troll, but i'm well known by other friar fans. hell, sean may have even been one of the guys that bought a "beat pitt" shirt in 2004, when the program began the epic nosedive.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Guilty as charged on the Pitt shirts; grabbed 10 for my row.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

bigappleram wrote:i know you like the rankings hype Sean, so here ya go

i got biruta (all big east rookie team - has batts ever been honored for conference awards?)
hare who just had his career game against batts and henton and will only be bigger and stronger next year
onyekaba - 12th ranked C according to espn, Hare was 24th and we know what he did against you
hassan martin and jarelle reischel

put my 5 against yours any day....carson derosiers is a big stiff. sidiki will be a force, not sure on harris.
You know who was BE all rookie as well. Benton. And he's playing this year; not sitting out. Batts will be a senior. Johnson will have a season of BE conference play under his belt. From what I have seen of Harris and Derosiers, they will be serviceable backups. Hare played well on O, he got eaten for lunch on defense. Never seen the big O, but I'll take Henton, Johnson or Batts over an unproven frosh any day.

It will deff be electric next year in Kingston.
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

Class of '88 was in Superdome for the '87 Final Four.

BTW Iggy, it was URI fans that I was with that noticed Cotton limping even a URI poster on the PC board said he saw Cotton limping so even though I know it's been a couple of hard days for you with your Rams losing to the Friars chin up and enjoy the holiday season.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Obadiah wrote:sean, why don't you take your juvenile bragging back to your own PC board and leave Ram fans to their own opinions which they are entitled to. Your intolerance of the views of others comes as no surprise given your background.
Ob,

You are like a broken record. Did someone from PC kick sand in your face at Scarborough?

I do give you credit; you finally used a post without crowbaring in dogmatic or myopic.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I would hardly say Hare had his career game against Batts and Henton.

Fact is, most of his points were on uncontested alleyoops and dunks against the zone.

It was a great gameplan against the PC zone but not a special individual effort.

Hare will have a special career and he had a good game the other night, but it wasn't like he dominated anyone.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I just tell like it is, sean, I guess you're smarting from the truth and that often hurts.

BTW, I never called you myopic, now dogmatic that's another thing given your Dominican education. Now that the Pope is on twitter maybe you can converse with him - two dogmatics are always better than one.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Brutus wrote:Class of '88 was in Superdome for the '87 Final Four.

BTW Iggy, it was URI fans that I was with that noticed Cotton limping even a URI poster on the PC board said he saw Cotton limping so even though I know it's been a couple of hard days for you with your Rams losing to the Friars chin up and enjoy the holiday season.
I can only tell you what I saw with my own eyes three rows from the court. No limp, not even in warmups. I'm not doubting he was hurting and I give him an A for playing but let's not make it into a Willis Reed moment.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Was there a bloody sock involved, fake or otherwise?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"Was there a bloody sock involved, fake or otherwise?"
I'm Paul Pierce and I approve this message.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Ob,

I could care less about you. You bring zero to the table outside of name calling. Ironic, since you are the one who calls me juvenile.
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

seanmc94 wrote:Ob,

I could care less about you. You bring zero to the table outside of name calling. Ironic, since you are the one who calls me juvenile.
Ask OB or RIRed anything about basketball X's & O's and you won't hear from them. Red actually said PC didn't do anything strategy wise in the 2nd half that changed the course of the game. Enough said.
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

ace wrote:Was there a bloody sock involved, fake or otherwise?

No but I heard Nik had a bloody hand from punching another wall at the end of the game.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

With all due respect it's a PC game thread and PC won the game.

They can post and gloat all they want.

We have an on campus arena, a first class venue......they got a dump next to the police station.

I like our chances going forward.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I hate PC but that is actually a pretty likeable bunch they had on the floor the other night. I might even like them if I didn't hate them so much.......
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

But we have the Satin Doll
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Brutus wrote:

Ask OB or RIRed anything about basketball X's & O's and you won't hear from them. Red actually said PC didn't do anything strategy wise in the 2nd half that changed the course of the game. Enough said.
What, because Cooley played man for a few minutes? Not exactly John Wooden stuff there. Even if the Fryizz were playing man, they were still sagging on the post as they did while playing zone. We got impatient. Nik Malesevic was much more impatient in the second half. The box score said he had four turnovers, but his impatience was responsible for more than that.

Now go set your couch on fire.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

seanmc94 wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:
zero

Sean, you have earned your place here, even tho you root for the "bad guys". Nobody thinks you're a troll.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Brutus, let me give you a news flash. Unlike you, I don't make X and Os comments on games unless I actually see the game in person or watch on TV. Since I live out of state and also have a busy work schedule, I don't get much of a chance to do either. So one of the big reasons I come to this forum is to hear more intimate details from URI fans about URI games than I can get from an AP story. I'm certainly don't come here eager to read your PC comments or listen to sean's incessant PC bragging. Verstehen Sie?
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Re: Cotton's health, by the end of the game he was limping around and seemed hurt. PC tried to pull him in the final two minutes, but the fifth foul on Batts meant he had to play the final minute. Because of the knee, I'm guessing he worked more as a facilitator than looking for his own offense.
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
Brutus wrote:

What, because Cooley played man for a few minutes? Not exactly John Wooden stuff there. Even if the Fryizz were playing man, they were still sagging on the post as they did while playing zone. We got impatient. Nik Malesevic was much more impatient in the second half. The box score said he had four turnovers, but his impatience was responsible for more than that.

Now go set your couch on fire.
Red if you actually knew something about the game instead of your constant childish name calling I'd give you the benefit of the doubt. What Cooley did in the 2nd half was when Nik received the ball at the foul line he had the defense sag off him and forced him to either hit the jumper which he back rimmed twice, or take the ball to the hoop which he tried and failed because he was out of control. In the first half the PC defenders in the back of the zone came out when Nik had it at the foul line and he dumped it low to Hare for easy dunks. That didn't happen in the 2nd half. Cooley was basically saying "beat us from the outside" which they failed to do.

And the first time Cooley came out of the zone and into man it totally confused URI and with a 3pt lead the Friars went on a 10-0 spurt to push the lead to 13 and it was game over. I'd call that pretty solid coaching.
Last edited by Brutus 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

SGreenwell wrote:Re: Cotton's health, by the end of the game he was limping around and seemed hurt. PC tried to pull him in the final two minutes, but the fifth foul on Batts meant he had to play the final minute. Because of the knee, I'm guessing he worked more as a facilitator than looking for his own offense.
Thanks Mr. Greenwell you seem to be very fair with your comments concerning URI opponents. You do a great job.
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

ATP, maybe I'm wrong but I believe you started this messageboard, if so, I have to say it's very nice and you seem to do a great job with it. The URI fans here are lucky to have you running the show. Congrats and keep up the good work.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

seanmc94 wrote:But we have the Satin Doll

True, good point.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The way URI continues to play through the rest of the season is very important to the culture of the basketball program in the future. There will not be many wins, but the effort must be there every game. The underclassmen must continue to improve even if to be better reserves who push next year's starters.

As i commented after the Loyola game, the ineligible players in sweats could beat the players we had dressed for the game. Hare, Munford, Powell and Aaman are gaining valuable experience this year. We will be more talented and deeper next year. The difference between losing and winning this season with a tough schedule has been small.

The underclassmen must continue to work. Those who don't, need not return.
NCAAs or Bust!
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

To the victor go the spoils....

We were beaten fair and square....

....the friar fans can say whatever they want....

....I choose the high road....as I will do if we are the victors in next year's game...or the year after....or the year after....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !