A-10 Tournament Semifinal - Dayton - Saturday 4pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: A-10 Tournament Semifinal - Dayton - Saturday 4pm

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:It wan't the refs turning the ball over a million times.
It wasn't the refs missing easy layups.
Martin is a 19 year old kid. Why was he anymore tired than anyone else?
He played lousy last night. Was he tired then, too?
WE lost it. Period. WE STUNK!
Yes, we did not play well at all, tons of turnovers and and many missed easy layups. But the refs sucked to. Both can be true.
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

The refs were terrible, but 21 turnovers is why we lost this game...end of story. Sloppiest ball handling I've ever seen in my life. We're just not there yet.
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Sweep The Leg wrote:Cost a team a potential NCAA bid, congratufuckinlations refs.
Can we stop blaming the F****** REFS ...... did you watch the game ?????? We SUCKED today, we scored 52 points and had 21 TO's.. yes the refs have been awful all year, but to blame the refs is just an over-reaction, we were horrible today (except Gil)... Dayton didnt not impress today either, but they are already in the tournament...... we're going to the NIT, i'm sure not many of us had them going to the NIT this year, I know I didnt.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbScYCk ... freload=10

A BRESSLER PRODUCTION

IN ASSOCIATION WITH EMOTICON ENTERPRISES

A SUBSIDIARY OF DODGERS WAIT TIL NEXT YEAR LLC
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

scine20 wrote:Can you guys please stop blaming the refs? You sound like a bunch of sore losers. URI beat themselves with undisciplined play throughout, missing easy shots including a dunk and a gimmie layup and not rebounding. They only have themselves to blame for today.
I am not blaming the refs for the loss. But that doesn't mean that I am not pissed that the conference can't employ competent refs. It's not just a URI thing, it happened in other games as well. If you are ok with horrible refs in every single A10 game that's fine, but I am not.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Don't blame the refs for this one. There's only 1 team in the league that Dayton could have beaten today. One player should up.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Had to follow this at work on game cast and fuck. This is pretty rough. Can't beat any good teams if you can't score on offense. We gotta work on that for next year. I hate this so much. tired of watching the tournament and Rhody not being there.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

EC Matthews helps keep us in the game and takes us out of the game
simultaneously.
His stupid forays into three guys, is ridiculous. His turnovers and mental errors,
like stepping out of bounds getting a pass in the corner, shows questionable
basketball IQ.
He's good on a catch and shoot coming off screens or in the open floor.
Please end all this baloney about him being a top NBA draft pick.
It looks very silly at this point.
So, we close out the season, not beating a top 50 team. Wonderful.
On to the NIT.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

adam914 wrote:
scine20 wrote:Can you guys please stop blaming the refs? You sound like a bunch of sore losers. URI beat themselves with undisciplined play throughout, missing easy shots including a dunk and a gimmie layup and not rebounding. They only have themselves to blame for today.
I am not blaming the refs for the loss. But that doesn't mean that I am not pissed that the conference can't employ competent refs. It's not just a URI thing, it happened in other games as well. If you are ok with horrible refs in every single A10 game that's fine, but I am not.
Refs make mistakes. It happens in every game, college or NBA, college football or NFL, etc. Unless you want them to have instant replay after every call or non-call it'll never change. It's just impossible to get everything right in real time. I'm not excusing them for some of the easy misses but it's easy for us to say that the refs missed a call in a slow-motion replay.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Shinze88 wrote:
Sweep The Leg wrote:Cost a team a potential NCAA bid, congratufuckinlations refs.
Can we stop blaming the F****** REFS ...... did you watch the game ?????? We SUCKED today, we scored 52 points and had 21 TO's.. yes the refs have been awful all year, but to blame the refs is just an over-reaction, we were horrible today (except Gil)... Dayton didnt not impress today either, but they are already in the tournament...... we're going to the NIT, i'm sure not many of us had them going to the NIT this year, I know I didnt.
Please, did you not watch the last minute? A blatant foul on a TJ drive turned into 2 the other way. Garrett gets tripped on his drive, no call, then Dayton travels twice, Dayton ball.

We didn't play great, I get that. But, can you honestly say that last minute was officiated well? Or do you want to be the anti-homer?

The officiating was average during the course of the game. Last minute was horrible.
'No Mercy.'
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The last minute of stinky reffing, pales in contrast to
that piece of shit we just threw up in Brooklyn.
20 turnovers. Missed dunks and layups. Stupid plays
all day.
Please.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Jarvis is fine and will be very good if not great. Had a bad game today. 2nd half he looked like a deer in headlights, but the entire team did except for Gil. Same with Terrell. Did not play well, played like a freshman. Yes, this season has brought us great excitement most, if not all of us didn't expect, and the program is ahead of schedule for where everyone wants it to go. But at this point, the NIT is a big disappointment. Its a shame they had to go out like this, the last thing I expected. Certainly wasn't because Dayton was great. The Hassan thing is baffling. He has not been one to disappear at all this season and I think most will agree he has been our most consistent player. He was absolutely invisible today, against a small team, in the most crucial game of the year.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

rodfromcranston wrote:EC Matthews helps keep us in the game and takes us out of the game
simultaneously.
His stupid forays into three guys, is ridiculous. His turnovers and mental errors,
like stepping out of bounds getting a pass in the corner, shows questionable
basketball IQ.
He's good on a catch and shoot coming off screens or in the open floor.
Please end all this baloney about him being a top NBA draft pick.
It looks very silly at this point.
So, we close out the season, not beating a top 50 team. Wonderful.
On to the NIT.
They always seem to get away from what works, ball movement. Their offense mainly came from transition these past two games. Can't always rely on that. We need a big to collapse that D and do some inside-out ball movement and more cutting to the hoop from our athletic guards and forwards.
'No Mercy.'
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

rodfromcranston wrote:The last minute of stinky reffing, pales in contrast to
that piece of shit we just threw up in Brooklyn.
20 turnovers. Missed dunks and layups. Stupid plays
all day.
Please.
Exactly
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Is the NIT even a given? There's a chance that nearly half of the field will be regular season champions of one bid leagues who lost in their conference tournament. We already have St. Francis NY, Louisiana Tech, William & Mary, UC Davis, Murray State, Iona, Bucknell, NC Central, South Dakota State and Charleston Southern that have already lost and have an automatic spot in the NIT. Central Michigan, Stephen F. Austin, New Mexico State, Montana and Georgia State could all lose and that would be 15 NIT spots already gone. Is URI among the next 17 who didn't get into the tournament? Maybe, maybe not. But the NIT is definitely not a guarantee at this point.
Last edited by scine20 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Sweep The Leg wrote: Please, did you not watch the last minute? A blatant foul on a TJ drive turned into 2 the other way. Garrett gets tripped on his drive, no call, then Dayton travels twice, Dayton ball.
The last minute was absolutely officiated poorly, as was the first 39, TJ got called for 2 phantom calls which forced him to the bench and caused us to give Minnis extended minutes, thats your ballgame right there. Terrell played like a freshman today, besides the turnovers, his defense was subpar for his standards... We're all dissapointed with how the season ended, but I would have signed up for this back in November. I'm glad we get to see more of this team play this season, next year we will be an experienced team and add a potential superstar in December.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Missing dunks is baffling. Are the Barclays' rim tighter than the Ryan Center's?
'No Mercy.'
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

scine20 wrote:Is the NIT even a given? There's a chance that nearly half of the field will be regular season champions of one bid leagues who lost in their conference tournament. We already have St. Francis NY, Louisiana Tech, William & Mary, UC Davis, Murray State, Iona, Bucknell, NC Central, South Dakota State and Charleston Southern that have already lost and have an automatic spot in the NIT. Central Michigan, Stephen F. Austin, New Mexico State, Montana and Georgia State could all lose and that would be 15 NIT spots already gone. Is URI among the next 17 who didn't get into the tournament? Maybe, maybe not. But the NIT is definitely not a guarantee at this point.
Yes, its a given. We're likely to get a home game as well.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

We reverted to EC playing hero ball, like early in the season.
Martin obviously gets the yips playing in front of family and friends.
Two games here and one at Fordham, shows that.
Maybe next year in Pittsburgh will help him?
Just so disappointing to play so poorly in such a big game.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

scine20 wrote:Is the NIT even a given? There's a chance that nearly half of the field will be regular season champions of one bid leagues who lost in their conference tournament. We already have St. Francis NY, Louisiana Tech, William & Mary, UC Davis, Murray State, Iona, Bucknell, NC Central, South Dakota State and Charleston Southern that have already lost and have an automatic spot in the NIT. Central Michigan, Stephen F. Austin, New Mexico State, Montana and Georgia State could all lose and that would be 15 NIT spots already gone. Is URI among the next 17 who didn't get into the tournament? Maybe, maybe not. But the NIT is definitely not a guarantee at this point.
Did you seriously say we are on the NIT bubble? So, I guess no A-10 teams will be in the NIT this year? Seeing season ticket holders got an email regarding NIT tickets, I think URI officials were given a heads up that we will be in the NIT and most likely host.
'No Mercy.'
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

We're in the NIT, cut the inferiority crapola, please.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

adam914 wrote:
Adam is my barometer for ref overreaction, very level-headed. If he thinks it was questionable, I feel justified.
'No Mercy.'
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Agree that we lost this game with 20+ turnovers but how did EC not get to the foul line once..he was mobbed on several drives and never got a call
Clapton is God
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody is now 22-9 with an RPI of approximately #65. Tough to see them not being selected for the NIT with those numbers. The win over GW clinched an NIT bid in my view even with many auto bids taking away at larges. A loss to GW might have made things dicey. May get a home game in first round as a #3 or $4 seed.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Turnovers, 9 of the first 16 possessions, EC's handle on the bounce, driving left into off balance shots has got to be changed for next season....NIT home game coming, let's focus on this and get to MSG, the experience will be huge...
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

We just can't win a big game. This team was not ready to play. Ball handling has not improved. We need a lot of help for the future.
Plus, we had to listen to Gottlieb laughing at us all day. What a piece of shit.
Right now, I couldn't care less about the NIT.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It's like having a chance to date Charlize Theron and winding up
with Lena Dunham, instead.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Let's stop with the refs. Were there a few bad calls? Yes. It however didn't cost us this game. Besides, officiating is out of our control. We do however control our play and that is what did us in today. We had nearly twice as many turnovers as the Flyers. Dan has got to get through to the guys to protect the ball better and make better decisions. It was a bad problem all year. Our youth and inexperience have a lot to do with this. I can accept this for this season but not next year. We need to work on what we can control.
Last edited by RF1 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

rodfromcranston wrote:We're in the NIT, cut the inferiority crapola, please.
I like playing in the NIT this year because we'll play the other conferences good teams and get more experience and we could make some coaching connections for our OOC games next year and beyond.
'No Mercy.'
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah the NIT is a very good thing for this team right now. More added experience in tournament games should help a young team. Sure it hurts right now, minutes after this loss, but in the big picture it's nothing but positive.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

2 missed dunks
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

adam914 wrote:If you guys don't think Garrett is a capable PG then I can't help ya. He's going to be a star.
I do not think he is below average, but I certainly did not see a floor general today and would like to see some competition for the job.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Beyond the Pale, that's it. The images of the game are worth more than all the words on this board.

If Coach Hurley can get his head together, the other coaches', and finally the team's in the right place, then the NIT will prove to be an event for the team to build upon.

It's the coach's job not to let things unravel because of disappointments and unfulfilled expectations.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

adam914 wrote:
Yes, its a given. We're likely to get a home game as well.
We will have 2 or 3 home games!
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

UConn just won a tournament game scoring 47 points. This sport has really changed.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Bet those dissing Jarvis Garrett today, were having the Big O
over his play yesterday.
HE'S A FRESHMAN!
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

This train ride home sucks but I met so many alumni today... Wounded up taking the subway next to uri president Dooley lol... Rhody will learn from this n hopefully make it to nit semis at msg for TJ n Gil
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

If I didn't watch the game and someone told me we shot 8-16 from 3 and 100% from the free throw line I would've assumed we won by 20 but because of those had 21 turnovers we lost. We did not look mentally strong at all today, Gil looked like the only one who wanted to win.

I've said it before and I know others have too on this board but we're just not an NCAA tournament team. We still have not beaten a top 50 rpi team and have had more than enough chances so I think at this point it's clear we don't belong in the tournament. With that being said as much as the NIT sucks it could be good experience for our guys if they can play well as opposed to being a low seed in the tournament and possibly getting blown out. Obviously next year it's truly ncaa's or bust but for where we're at right now and we still overachieved a little by most likely being able to have a home NIT game.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Bet those dissing Jarvis Garrett today, were having the Big O
over his play yesterday.
HE'S A FRESHMAN!
And only had 1 turnover today (and 4 assists) in 34 minutes, on a day where the team turned it over 21 times.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Turnovets were an absolute killer.

Anybody saying Jarvis played bad must not have watched Terrell. He was absolutely AWFUL. Missed shots, stupid turnovers, stupid fouls.

Gil played great these two games, Hassan disappeared.
Last edited by Rhody15 9 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Go Rhody
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

TJ, with 4 turnovers and 4 fouls, 0 points, 0 rebounds, in 18 minutes,
may have played his worst game of the season.
EC, 4 turnovers. Terrell, 5 turnovers.
Terrible.
Martin no blocks. 4 points and 5 rebounds.
Gil with 14 and 8, was it. Everyone else was sub par or worse.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Garrett 2-3 from 3, 4 assists, 8 pts., 1 turnover.. Good defense also.. He actually had a solid game.. Problem is this team lets other guards handle the ball way too much, Matthews, Terrell, Minnis and TJ were turnover machines today.. Ball needs to be in Garrets hands more rather than less.. Future seems bright for him.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

This has bugged me all year. Why can't we get on the post game show a coach(any coach)?? Also, why can't we get the Hurley press conference live and hear the Q&A??.....We can always go back to the other post game features(A-10 score board, high energy player of the game stuff). Come on sponsors, step up here..... Don't "big time" programs cover these post games better than we do??
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Minnis only had 2 turnovers. Gil had 3.
Still love Garrett.
At least Terrell hit that big 3 near the end. Nobody else
stepped up in the last minute.

"And now, the bowel movement of the game, sponsored by
Health Source RI!"
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Young team still learning to be consistent. EC carries a lot of weight on his shoulders and maybe he isn't ready for it nor is it really needed. This has been a great season though and I am excited for the NIT and to watch Gil and TJ play their final games.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

rodfromcranston wrote:Minnis only had 2 turnovers. Gil had 3.
Still love Garrett.
At least Terrell hit that big 3 near the end. Nobody else
stepped up in the last minute.

"And now, the bowel movement of the game, sponsored by
Health Source RI!"
Felt like a lot more than 2. He had a lot of passes tipped out of bounds. He doesn't pass to players in rhythm, and some of the other players' turnovers are a result of his initial bad pass. He passes lazy and seems aloof about it.

I don't want to see him get significant minutes next year.
'No Mercy.'
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

BleedBlue87 wrote:Young team still learning to be consistent. EC carries a lot of weight on his shoulders and maybe he isn't ready for it nor is it really needed. This has been a great season though and I am excited for the NIT and to watch Gil and TJ play their final games.
We start 2 sophomores and 2 freshman and are way ahead of schedule. We are another PG and quality big man away from not only making the NCAA tournament, but making some noise.
'No Mercy.'
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

It just sucks that we are ALWAYS thisclose to getting over the hump.
Go Rhody
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Bet those dissing Jarvis Garrett today, were having the Big O
over his play yesterday.
HE'S A FRESHMAN!
:roll:
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

We need a low post player. And an upgrade at the point. I'm not sure why you think
He is going to be a star. He looks good because biggie looks so bad. Can't go left and can't finish at the rim.