Preston Murphy Joins BC staff as Assistant Coach

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Preston Murphy to Join BC staff as Assistant Coach

Unread post by TruePoint »

RIFan wrote:This sucks. Poor Dan can't catch a break.

I'm trying my best not to be overly negative...but this could totally screw up this rest of this recruiting cycle. We all know how important this class is...just not good. It seems like the Assoc HC title is a ticket out the door here.
I think it's actually the last card we have to play. There are more than 300 D1 programs. Only one has Preston Murphy, yet somehow all the others get players. We will be fine. Just have to make a good hire here.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Iggy, let's hope whoever he brings in has a PROVEN track record of results on the recruiting trail.

Not just a promise of having connections.

I have a feeling that one of the reasons Preston decided to leave, is that landing good recruits for Rhody is a tough sell. A lot of work, with no guarantee of results.

Yes, this program has come a long way from where it was a couple of years ago, but there are still a lot of disadvantages compared to the big boy schools. And always will be.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Rumor: Preston Talking to BC about joining Christian' St

Unread post by McRam »

Rhodymob05 wrote:So after his recent promotion, and him congratulating new recruits and saying how excited he was for the future. And representing himself at the opening of the new facilities. It was all fake
Let's assume he knew he was probably leaving, would it have been better if he bad mouthed us, discouraged Jarvis, and acted like a jerk until he left. Of course not. As best I can tell, he acted with class and appropriately.

It is entirely possible and probably likely that Preston and URI have been talking since his "promotion" and for whatever reasons, Preston felt that URI was not giving him enough reasons to stay. Maybe money, maybe ACC or maybe frustration with closing the deal on so many recruits.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

How long was Preston the lead recruiter before DH came?
rams13
Jim Eitner

Unread post by rams13 »

As much as losing Murphy hurts future recruits, that loss can be lessened with a good hire.
My worry is with the current players.
Garrett must feel misled (how can he trust the staff).
I don't know about Martin, but Matthews is a PM guy from Michigan. After such a good freshman year..he would have major conference options with 3 years of eligibility if he wanted to leave.

This should be the worry moving forward.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Once more, EC and Dan have a very strong relationship.
How many players have you seen tell their coach he loves him?
So, let's stop that baloney and leave it on the PC board, where some idiot says Preston left a sinking ship.
Now, as for bringing in some proven recruiter, forget it.
You're not getting some wanted hired gun for the money they were paying a known quantity
in Preston.
This has to be a smart hire. Someone who knows the AAU circuit, and the people
who pull the strings. Maybe someone with no college experience, but one
who knows where the bodies are hidden. Someone slick, who can sell ice to an Eskimo.
Maybe we can clone Ed Cooley?
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Listen to Rod. Ok, not always. But definitely in this case lol. Last post was spot on.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

My uncle once bought an Edsel. I'll see if the salesman is still alive.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

This is devastating to me! Maybe some of you guys can turn the page already and "nut-up" as I've read, but I'm pissed! I'm pissed at the timing, visa vie its relativity to Garrett's letter signing, I'm pissed that the university did little to keep Murphy and I'm pissed Murphy decided to leave. I don't care about the details! I don't care if the university was in no position to compete with the offer PM received from BC. I don't care if PM will make 4x the money. I don't care if we replace PM with Phil Jackson. I'm upset and I get to be upset. I love Preston, always have, stated here long ago that from the time he was a player I knew he would be a good coach, he's always been very heady. I'm sure I'll get over it as soon as real life news trumps basketball news, but as for today I feel betrayed, by PM, by URI, by circumstances out of anyone's control, it doesn't matter the details, it doesn't matter why PM ended up jetting, just that it sucks. No, the sky is not falling, so I'll step back and let the dust settle, I'll see where things are in few weeks, but for now all I can think is THIS REALLY SUCKS EGGS!!! Perhaps some day I'll be back in that 99% that would welcome PM back with open arms, but as of this moment I hope BC's basketball program continues to be a pile of steaming shit, don't get me wrong, I still love PM, but he's highly skilled and now he works for the enemy.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's a big pile of stinking money BC is giving Preston. That's 260K reasons to leave. Can't blame him for it. Who knows what URI did to try to keep him. We'll probably find out soon. Hopefully Preston and or Dan issues a statement at some point.

I'm not happy either, but we've got to move on.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

To RunningRam, and all the others ready to jump off of the Newport Bridge, the Old Industrial National, and from the roof of Chaffee:
Read "The April Fools' Day" thread.
NOW YA KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE!!!!!!
WELCOME ABOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Love Preston too bad! Wish him Luck! Jimmy Christian wanted the URI job twice and didn't get it maybe a little payback? All's fair hopefully this means we sign up for a home in home with BC for a while.

Time for Hurley to earn his money we need two more quality signs in the next month and Hare back in town. Assistant coaches are everywhere make a good call here DH. Hoping for a recruiter as good as Preston that might be more help on the bench during games than Preston was.

The ship is headed in the right direction this should not be a big deal if DH does his job.

GO RHODY!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

rams13 wrote:As much as losing Murphy hurts future recruits, that loss can be lessened with a good hire.
I don't know about Martin, but Matthews is a PM guy from Michigan. After such a good freshman year..he would have major conference options with 3 years of eligibility if he wanted to leave.

The timing could be he'll of a lot worse. Preston brought us EC. Garrett is signed. I don't see it affecting the last two spots this year. And they should have time to recover for 15
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Bress, I was around for the April Fools debacle, a dark day that still haunts. And yes this despair feels similar, but I wasn't as fond of JH as I am of PM. I realize the sky is not falling now as it did then. I realize that we have a much more solid base and a good head coach going forward, which we did not have when JH left for Georgia, but as I've said I'm fond of PM and it hurts that he no longer is on our side. This is the last time I'll state that it doesn't matter how much money, how much prestige, the contract terms. I don't care if it was an offer PM couldn't refuse, I don't care if Thorr told PM to take a hike, I don't care who or what the factors were/are, PM is bringing his talents to the enemy and it pisses me off to no end. Rhody can't hang on to one of their best recruiters in my life time, an alumn that the fan base is very fond of, I'm pissed and get to be pissed, it doesn't make me feel like the sky is falling, it makes me feel like we lost a great asset to an enemy, I want that particular program to crash and burn, the same program that royally screwed Al Skinner. I hope the ACC asks them to leave after the next decade of debauchery.
Go Rhody!!!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I always chuckle when some fans say that Dan needs help with Xs and Os. Let's not confuse players' lack of execution with coach's lack of strategic aptitude.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Iggy1979 wrote:
rams13 wrote:As much as losing Murphy hurts future recruits, that loss can be lessened with a good hire.

The timing could be he'll of a lot worse. Preston brought us EC. Garrett is signed. I don't see it affecting the last two spots this year. And they should have time to recover for 15
And then there's the Hare thing...
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So why couldn't URI have matched the $260k or at least come closer than they did?
If it's a business which we all agree it is wouldn't it have made business sense to do as suggested?
So now we risk losing current recruits, current players, have to go out and recruit a new assistant, etc.
And to think we blew over a million dollars paying out CFL when we canned him. That million makes the extra $130,000 or thereabouts we would have needed to pay PR seem like a pittance.
You get what you pay for
A sad day in the URI men's basketball historical timeline.
Best recruits we have had at URI in Mathews, Martin, Garrett, and involved with many other respectable names for 2015. I don't buy AT ALL the comments being made that part of his leaving was convincing kids to come to URI.......no way.
URI needs to up the assistant coach pay if they want to play. I wonder what Hurley is thinking about this.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Preston was instrumental to our recruiting efforts the last few years, but as I said before there are 300+ programs and only one Preston. So it is possible to get players without him. Other programs do it all the time. Someone else is going to have to step up; hopefully the whole staff does.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Not sure that's fair, Ramster. To what level do you think URI's assistant salary pool would need to be to prevent ACC-swimming-in-football-cash schools from scooping up any assistant they want?
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Dan needs help recruiting, and not because he can't, but because its a tough scene out there and he needs all the help he can get. Dan does not need help on X's and O's IMO. The team is rebuilding with talented but some young players, Dan can't draw up the plays and execute them, he's exhausted his eligibility. Dan and staff actually game plan and are good at it, something we didn't know about for the prior decade plus under the old regime.
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I get you ramster. How much business sense does it make to not pay PM? I guess We'll know when the dust settles...
Go Rhody!!!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Since the new coach will most likely have zero impact on '14 recruiting, I'm guessing there's no rush to make this hire.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Rumor: Preston Talking to BC about joining Christian' St

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

STC wrote:
BFC wrote:BC's going to have an ACC level assistant coaching staff to go along with a MAC level head coach.

This.

+1
I don't know. Even a school like BC in a conference like the ACC has a budget. There weren't a ton of home run hires out there. Maybe the AD thought getting a competent coach for a reasonable salary and throwing a ton of money at the staff was the better route. Christian has had some pretty good finishes when he had some talent. In a recruiting rich area like BC is in, maybe the AD is betting on Spinelli/PM killing it on the recruit in trail. Will be interesting to see if it works.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:Not sure that's fair, Ramster. To what level do you think URI's assistant salary pool would need to be to prevent ACC-swimming-in-football-cash schools from scooping up any assistant they want?
I already said that in my post, simple $260,000 would have kept the best recruiter URI has had since Jim Harrick.
Would have let us sleep,better about Garrett.
Would have kept us from having to go out and recruit a replacement
Would have kept us in the running for all the current players we are recruiting in Michigan including Eric Davis.
Would have kept a very viable HC in waiting on the staff in the case that Dan Hurley moves on in near future.
Would have showed the basketball world that URI is "thinking big"in the world of college basketball.
Would have maintained the possibility that Jordan Hare plays for URI next year
Would have made me a happier URI alum than I am now
Would have made Dan Hurley happy
Would have kept one of URI's very cherished alumni to stay home.

TP, I think I am being very fair, just looking at the business......not keeping PM here at URI was not a good business decision.
Giving CFL a 10 year contract was a horrible business decision, as was hiring him in the first place, as was giving him a 1 year extension as was having a contract that required us to pay him over a million when he was fired with a year to go.
The money to keep PM here was peanuts in the world of the college basketball business.
This money is peanuts.

Call me unfair if that makes you feel better TP.
This is sad, stupid, unfortunate and in the short, medium and long run will cost URI FAR more than the $130000 or so that it would have cost in in recruits, talent, prestige, ticket sales, advertising, etc.
The job will be filled but Preston Murphy will never be replaced.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

He is gone.....a source says.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

There is no way under the current state of affairs (state U. ) that URI could pay $200K plus for an assistant BB coach. We don't want to be a mid major and we don't think of ourselves as a mid major....It is what it is - at least for now. We have the advantage of having a top notch on campus facility and a quality HC with good young talent in the program. A sold out building and deep runs into NCAA tourney going forward are the only way to change what we are. We still are on the cusp of making that run and a strong start next season should fill the seats and create the necessary buzz.

Perhaps with my rose colored glasses on we can say that losing a top talent like PM to a big money offer that can't be refused somewhat ups our reputation a bit?

Good luck to Preston Murphy and sincere thanks from this alum for being a great Ram. We will welcome him back someday hopefully.....
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

WHO is gone? Hare?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:Not sure that's fair, Ramster. To what level do you think URI's assistant salary pool would need to be to prevent ACC-swimming-in-football-cash schools from scooping up any assistant they want?
I already said that in my post, simple $260,000 would have kept the best recruiter URI has had since Jim Harrick.
Would have let us sleep,better about Garrett.
Would have kept us from having to go out and recruit a replacement
Would have kept us in the running for all the current players we are recruiting in Michigan including Eric Davis.
Would have kept a very viable HC in waiting on the staff in the case that Dan Hurley moves on in near future.
Would have showed the basketball world that URI is "thinking big"in the world of college basketball.
Would have maintained the possibility that Jordan Hare plays for URI next year
Would have made me a happier URI alum than I am now
Would have made Dan Hurley happy
Would have kept one of URI's very cherished alumni to stay home.

TP, I think I am being very fair, just looking at the business......not keeping PM here at URI was not a good business decision.
Giving CFL a 10 year contract was a horrible business decision, as was hiring him in the first place, as was giving him a 1 year extension as was having a contract that required us to pay him over a million when he was fired with a year to go.
The money to keep PM here was peanuts in the world of the college basketball business.
This money is peanuts.

Call me unfair if that makes you feel better TP.
This is sad, stupid, unfortunate and in the short, medium and long run will cost URI FAR more than the $130000 or so that it would have cost in in recruits, talent, prestige, ticket sales, advertising, etc.
The job will be filled but Preston Murphy will never be replaced.
ramster, you responded to ATP, not me. But I share his opinion on this. Money is an issue. If we had another $150k lying around then I'm sure they'd have "stepped up." If I had $150k lying around I'd pay off my student loans, redo my kitchen and go on vacation to the south of France. Unfortunately, I don't and neither does URI. That's our lot in life. Have to learn how to win with cards your dealt.

I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill here with your comments. On a personal level I think it is fair for us to disappointed Preston went to BC, but from a business standpoint it's just another day in college basketball. This happens every year to tons of programs. The show will go on.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ramster, I do agree with what you said about the assistant pay.

If we want to get somebody good, especially an experienced hand, URI has GOT to increase their pay from the 100K Preston was making.

I would guess they offered more to Preston to stay, but nowhere near 260K. We should be paying the assistant/associate head coach in the 150K range. That's close to the average in the A10.

Like I said before, maybe Dan will even have to cough up some of HIS pay, or say part of the buy game guarantee to make it happen.

When revenue starts to increase with NCAA bids, then of course the entire staff needs to be bumped up.

This is a fact of life in college BB today. Has to be done.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TP,
I could say you made a mountain out,of a molehill with all of your comments about Connecticut football versus boston college football.
I absolutely do not agree that I am making a mountain out of a molehill.
You and I are very much opposite on this coaching change - very different places.
BC can make pay changes like this because they are private, maybe so, but that certainly did not keep public school Connecticut from becoming a national power in men's and women's basketball.

Sure to some $130,000 is a lot of money. But that is the market price for PM. Boston college saw that, URI did not.
The conte forum gets poor attendance, the BC program gets trashed by many, but this hiring of uri grad jim Christian was a great one, and the hiring of PM was a great move. Watch for BC football and BC basketball to ratchet up with the improving ACC.
This is a big loss for URI in my opinion. Sorry you and some other just see it as a molehill and a bump in the road. Does not surprise me quite honestly.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Spook5365 wrote:Just got a tip someone big might be leaving the program and its not a player. Anyone else hearing anything?
Good call on the tip spook5365, just wish it hadn't been right.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It isn't that they didn't see Preston's value. It's that they don't have the money. I can see the value of a Ferrari; that doesn't mean I can buy one.

Maybe someday the program will be better situated to compete financially in cases like this, but we just aren't there now. I'm not saying you should be happy about it, or that URI should accept it as it's long-term lot in life. You brought up UConn, but they didn't get good by paying their coach a ton of money; they got good by finding a coach at the right price that allowed them to later be able to pay their coaches a lot of money.

Right now, today, there isn't a damn thing URI could do about it. The best they can do is nail the hiring of his replacement.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:It isn't that they didn't see Preston's value. It's that they don't have the money. I can see the value of a Ferrari; that doesn't mean I can buy one.

Maybe someday the program will be better situated to compete financially in cases like this, but we just aren't there now. I'm not saying you should be happy about it, or that URI should accept it as it's long-term lot in life. But right now, today, there isn't a damn thing they could do about it. The best they can do is nail the hiring of his replacement.

As I said college basketball is a business.
Boston college sees that, Connecticut sees that and providence sees that.
To lose URI Head Assistant Coach Preston Murphy to Boston College to be a second assistant is a shame, as low a point in the program as we have had in a while.
To those who think $130,000 is a lot of money my point is that is what the market is for Preston. This could cost URI more than the $130,000 in recruiting, "reputation as a player" in major college basketball, etc.
Wonder if Lamar odom starts hanging around Boston now.

Sure only thing uri can do now is nail a replacement, but you don't replace Preston Murphy - that will not happen no matter how rose colored your glasses are.

Sad for URI.

Preston Murphy was a "mountain" for URI basketball. Time will show that in the short,medium and long term.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I also worry about some current players transferring to boston college or elsewhere. Also the pipeline that we had so effectively built to michigan. And the negative impact on the 2015 recruiting class. And on Jordan hare possibly returning. And what does this inability to retain his top recruiter and head assistant due to money do to dan hurley's state.

Nothing good can come of this.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote:Since the new coach will most likely have zero impact on '14 recruiting, I'm guessing there's no rush to make this hire.
Coaches are paid on the state's fiscal year, which begins June 1. Look for an announcement late May.
Preston's strengths were identifying players and getting involved with them. That has already happened for the last two scholarships, so I don't see this having much immediate impact. Whether Spreewell comes to URI, for instance, won't be impacted by Preston leaving.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

To go to BC, you need to meet their admission standards.
I can't see anyone leaving to follow an assistant coach.
Stop the chicken little stuff, please.
There are other pipelines to build.
We have a huge amount of talent right here in New England.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

ramster wrote:

I also worry about some current players transferring to boston college or elsewhere. Also the pipeline that we had so effectively built to michigan. And the negative impact on the 2015 recruiting class. And on Jordan hare possibly returning. And what does this inability to retain his top recruiter and head assistant due to money do to dan hurley's state.

Nothing good can come of this.
I don't see how you can say that Ramster when we don't know who the replacement is. Say it's Kevin Freeman from UConn. Great resume as a player, connections in New England and NJ. Whose to say someone like that couldn't be BETTER than Preston. URI has had great teams with no Michigan players; the next assistant will have his own connections.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Still waiting for a statement from Dan and/or Preston. Or Thorr. Is Dan pissed? Maybe.

Would be nice to hear something.

You know, like thanking him for his service, etc.

I hear you, Ramster. It would have been nice to keep Preston. At what cost though? And I don't mean just moolah.

If URI were to bump up Preston to say 200K/year, what does that say to Murray and Carr? I know they haven't produced recruits yet like Preston did, but do you think they would be happy?

URI has to look at this as a financial move, like it or not. URI is not yet ready or able to increase their assistant salary pool to that level.

The timing of this is what hurts. If BC had come after Preston a couple of years from now, after URI goes Dancing and everybody is making more money, then would Preston have stayed? Maybe.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:To go to BC, you need to meet their admission standards.
I can't see anyone leaving to follow an assistant coach.
Stop the chicken little stuff, please.
There are other pipelines to build.
We have a huge amount of talent right here in New England.
Rod,
I guess what pisses me off is when TP says that I am making a mountain out of a molehill. That just pissed me off quite honestly.
To those who also just dismiss the thing as only about money and uri can't afford to pay what BC paid, I just struggle with that.
I read chicken little things on this board al the time, every day.
I am not chicken little, I like where the program us going even more than you and disagree with some of your own negativity towards recruiting of late, I just think that some on this board, especially TP are underestimating the loss of Murphy.
I've said my piece on Preston's loss and done with it. Let's see how it plays out but in my opinion this was a huge mistake to,let this guy get away.
Hope to be proved wrong.

Time will tell.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Let's put this into perspective: Yes, Kentucky Basketball is Kentucky Basketball, but think of the hits it took during the past 10 days. ORLANDO ANTIGUA named head coach at South Florida. Three days ago, he snags his pal and fellow Kentucky assistant. former NBAer and Calipari-loyalist, ROD STRICKLAND as his #1 assistant.
Okay, Calipari has to think fast, which for him, he doesn't care whom it affects: CALIPARI STEALS LONGTIME ASSISTANT AND CHIEF RECRUITER BARRY RHORSSEN FROM PITT. Rhorssen is the guy who has been MR. NYC for Pitt's jamie Dixon for the past decade.
Instead of having a nervous breakdown about this, and it's been a shocking 24 hours, put your faith and loyalty in Coach Hurley to get something done. Not just "something," but HUGE, because he knows damn better than all of us as to what he's got to overcome.
Think about it: He got to rally his team; reassure his prized recruit; figure out the Hare deal, which with Murphy's defection, could bring closure to this chapter; HE is the one who is going to have to close the deal with any recruits to complete the 2014 Class; and he's got to find a superstar-stud recruiter out there for the Future.
That's some list of priorities.
P.S. Oh yeah, he's got to get that door fixed.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The reaction of some here is as embarrassing and short sighted as anything I've ever seen. Should be happy for Preston to get a pay day, sad to seem him go on a personal level, and ready to move on to the next thing. All the rest of the hand wringing and pearl clutching is a waste of energy. Especially the positing of all the possible nightmare scenarios that may follow....the whole roster transferring to BC and never signing another recruit ever, etc. Just nonsense.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yeah, I'm about done with this thread.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:The reaction of some here is as embarrassing and short sighted as anything I've ever seen. Should be happy for Preston to get a pay day, sad to seem him go on a personal level, and ready to move on to the next thing. All the rest of the hand wringing and pearl clutching is a waste of energy. Especially the positing of all the possible nightmare scenarios that may follow....the whole roster transferring to BC and never signing another recruit ever, etc. Just nonsense.
You minimizing Preston's leaving is "as embarrassing and shortsighted as anything I've ever seen"

On the contrary, TP,
I very happy for Preston and his family. I was happy for jim Christian when he got the BC job. In fact I will be rooting for Boston college in the ACC to kick butt next year and the years after. Because of Christian and Murphy.

Put very simply TP, You and I are just far apart on this subject and the implications of Murphy leaving, simple........ leave it at that. Save all the drama type words I just can't keep up with it.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

bressler3south wrote:Let's put this into perspective: Yes, Kentucky Basketball is Kentucky Basketball, but think of the hits it took during the past 10 days. ORLANDO ANTIGUA named head coach at South Florida. Three days ago, he snags his pal and fellow Kentucky assistant. former NBAer and Calipari-loyalist, ROD STRICKLAND as his #1 assistant.
Okay, Calipari has to think fast, which for him, he doesn't care whom it affects: CALIPARI STEALS LONGTIME ASSISTANT AND CHIEF RECRUITER BARRY RHORSSEN FROM PITT. Rhorssen is the guy who has been MR. NYC for Pitt's jamie Dixon for the past decade.
Instead of having a nervous breakdown about this, and it's been a shocking 24 hours, put your faith and loyalty in Coach Hurley to get something done. Not just "something," but HUGE, because he knows damn better than all of us as to what he's got to overcome.
Think about it: He got to rally his team; reassure his prized recruit; figure out the Hare deal, which with Murphy's defection, could bring closure to this chapter; HE is the one who is going to have to close the deal with any recruits to complete the 2014 Class; and he's got to find a superstar-stud recruiter out there for the Future.
That's some list of priorities.
P.S. Oh yeah, he's got to get that door fixed.
and
TruePoint wrote:The reaction of some here is as embarrassing and short sighted as anything I've ever seen. Should be happy for Preston to get a pay day, sad to seem him go on a personal level, and ready to move on to the next thing. All the rest of the hand wringing and pearl clutching is a waste of energy. Especially the positing of all the possible nightmare scenarios that may follow....the whole roster transferring to BC and never signing another recruit ever, etc. Just nonsense.
Agreed.

While I'm a bit down that Preston is gone and wish he was staying, I am happy for his payday and happy for the work he has done here both as a player and in the last 4 years of building us back up. Let's hope his efforts of the past 4 years are the start of a foundation of something special.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I disagree. I think the biggest impact is in the recruiting area. Most players that Preston was working on may now be lost as he was the main and possibly the only link to the program. They probably haven't had enough time to make bonds with anyone but Murphy at this point in the process. I do not minimize the loss of Preston on current and incoming players as he will be missed. He likely was one of the main reasons several players came or committed to URI. These players are however much further along and have developed additional relationships with other players and coaches which should offset and minimixe the Murphy loss. This is not the case with high school players that were being recruited by Murphy.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Why is it embarrassing and short sighted that fans here are concerned about the negative implications of Murphy leaving? This departure will very much set the program back in recruiting and further delay getting back to the desired level. We saw what happened with the departure of Skerry (Baron was never able to overcome that) and what happened this fall signing period (no signings for URI) after Bobby bolted. I am happy that that Murphy is bettering his situation and career but that is not my primary concern (it is his and his action validates that). My concern is for URI hoops.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

RF1 wrote:

Why is it embarrassing and short sighted that fans here are concerned about the negative implications of Murphy leaving? This departure will very much set the program back in recruiting and further delay getting back to the desired level. We saw what happened with the departure of Skerry (Baron was never able to overcome that) and what happened this fall signing period (no signings for URI) after Bobby bolted. I am happy that that Murphy is bettering his situation and career but that is not my primary concern (it is his and his action validates that). My concern is for URI hoops.
There's no way of knowing that this will "set the program back." Skerry's departure was a killer because Baron hired that international guy to replace him. Huge mistake! Eventually, things turned around with a good hire -- Preston. There were a lot of factors around no spring singings this year, and to pin that all on Bobby leaving is inaccurate.
This is a crucial hire for Dan, no doubt about it. But to say that Preston leaving is going to kill the program is a knee-jerk reaction.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Thx Iggy
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Momir was hoped to be a big time recruiter due to his being a coach at Oak Hill. So much for that.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

My head hurts from reading this last page of posts...somebody wake me up when our whole 5 win team transfers to the ACC.