THIS Year (2014-15)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Next Year

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Officially pumped - looks like a legit NCAA team for the first time in years.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I thought it was great seeing Hare out there, too. And while these were just drills and scrimmages, lots of shots going in.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Was Terrell in that video? I didn't see him.
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

That might have been him shooting a 3 at the 3:19 mark.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re:

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Was Terrell in that video? I didn't see him.
I caught him a couple times. Dont remember any specific plays but I remember seeing him standing in the huddle a couple times.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Re:

adam914 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Was Terrell in that video? I didn't see him.
I caught him a couple times. Dont remember any specific plays but I remember seeing him standing in the huddle a couple times.
Yeah, watching it back again, he was in that huddle right at the beginning.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

he has a dunk or two in there on break outs, and i believe a jumper as well. #32
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

I'm still not sure if we should be talking about an NCAA tourney berth. I'm expecting a 20 win season, but NCAA's are a stretch. Don't get me wrong I'm hoping they exceed expectations, but you remember what happened to our high hopes last year
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Keaney.Blue wrote:I'm still not sure if we should be talking about an NCAA tourney berth. I'm expecting a 20 win season, but NCAA's are a stretch. Don't get me wrong I'm hoping they exceed expectations, but you remember what happened to our high hopes last year
I tend to agree. I am looking for a major step forward this year, but next year is where I have my hopes on a tourney. With EC and Hassan as juniors and Terrell and Garrett as Sophomores.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I tend to agree, but I bet the players don't.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I've been hoping for a tourney birth for many years and that won't change.

Expectations? The team to play hard basketball and DH to shine a little more for on the court stuff.

Dan is a Master of the offseason. That video is awesome.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RAM67 wrote:I tend to agree, but I bet the players don't.
Well thats good though, tourney should always be the goal for the players/coaches.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Keaney.Blue wrote:I'm still not sure if we should be talking about an NCAA tourney berth. I'm expecting a 20 win season, but NCAA's are a stretch. Don't get me wrong I'm hoping they exceed expectations, but you remember what happened to our high hopes last year
Agree - It would require roughly 10 wins of improvement to get on the bubble. I imagine another bit of improvement of this year, like around 6 wins to get to 20, and then another step forward in 2015-16. With all of the younger players on the roster now, I think that would be a good mark to shoot for, and if you wildly exceed expectations, even better.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I did some math on some of the losses last year. If we had shot 75% from the line in the games we lost, we would have won 4 more games. Free throw shooting cost us last year. That has to improve greatly. So, that would have given us 18 wins. I don't think 23-24 wins this year is out of the question. Get on that free throw line in practice, especially when the legs are tired!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I think the NIT is within reach, though.
Slava Ukraini!
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

I honestly expect PC like results next year. An NIT team that could be good enough to pull together and win the conference tourney and auto bid to the dance.

At least close to the bubble next year. There's really no excuse.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

except PC had an AA senior guard, and the core of their team (Henton, Batts, Council) with loads of experience. We have a team where our 5-6 best players have 1 year or less of college ball.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Billyboy78 wrote:I did some math on some of the losses last year. If we had shot 75% from the line in the games we lost, we would have won 4 more games. Free throw shooting cost us last year. That has to improve greatly. So, that would have given us 18 wins. I don't think 23-24 wins this year is out of the question. Get on that free throw line in practice, especially when the legs are tired!
I know what you're saying, but only 20 teams in all of D1 shot 75% from the line. Also can't assume that all of those games would have played out exactly the same way had we made a couple more free throws. In general, though, I agree with your points that we weren't that far off from a few more wins last year and we need to be a better free throw shooting team.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote:except PC had an AA senior guard, and the core of their team (Henton, Batts, Council) with loads of experience. We have a team where our 5-6 best players have 1 year or less of college ball.
I will give you that. I'm going on what the 2 players that were here last year were able to do by the end of the year. I'm expecting a huge jump in their game, and honestly even a minor jump for either of them would make them in the top few at their position in our conference.

I also think that with the depth we have, we won't "have" to play certain players.

A lot of this hinges on how good Jared Terrell is, and I would argue that as a freshman he'll be a better player than X was as a senior. At least I expect him to not hog the ball like X did and shoot 30%. At 220 lbs he doesn't strike me as the player who has to shoot, and will have the body to go inside and finish if there's no shot to take.

I honestly believe that losing X will benefit this team simply because he won't be there to take and miss so many shots.

It certainly is a far fetched thought, but PC wasn't all that talented and relied solely on Cotton. We certainly don't have a player of his caliber on the roster this year, but I think overall this is a better team than PC was last year.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The areas of JTs game that need the most work are his shooting and ball handling, and his game is nothing like X's. Regardless of his FG% X was a much more polished offensive player than JT is currently, you just cant compare a SR to a FR. JTs immediate contribution will be felt on defense and in transition, he could struggle early on in the half court. You may be putting a bit too much stock in him singularly, for example, I would not expect him to have even close to the impact on the offensive end that EC had last year. Realistic for JT is 8ppg, 4 rebs, 2 steals and you should be happy with that. Great numbers for a FR, but nothing that will drastically alter our success on the court when taken in isolation. Overall our team is heading straight up, and in time this cast of players should certainly be better than last year's PC team, they got by largely due to the out-of-the-world play of Bryce Cotton. We will be a much more balanced and athletic team, but young teams have growing pains and I expect some more for next year especially in the early going. We have 3 important pieces - Terrell, Garrett and Hare - that didn't play a minute of Div 1 basketball last season. That cant be ignored or overlooked.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote:We have 3 important pieces - Terrell, Garrett and Hare - that didn't play a minute of Div 1 basketball last season. That cant be ignored or overlooked.
Yeah this is a very important point I think. Lets not fall back into the same traps as past years of expecting too much from guys who haven't seen the court yet.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

TruePoint wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:I did some math on some of the losses last year. If we had shot 75% from the line in the games we lost, we would have won 4 more games. Free throw shooting cost us last year. That has to improve greatly. So, that would have given us 18 wins. I don't think 23-24 wins this year is out of the question. Get on that free throw line in practice, especially when the legs are tired!
I know what you're saying, but only 20 teams in all of D1 shot 75% from the line. Also can't assume that all of those games would have played out exactly the same way had we made a couple more free throws. In general, though, I agree with your points that we weren't that far off from a few more wins last year and we need to be a better free throw shooting team.
I would also add that you can do this sort of thing every year. It's a bit of a misnomer that good teams win close games - More often, good teams win games big, that way a couple bad breaks (some careless turnovers, free throws missed, etc.) don't swing the outcome of the game.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Good points, but I didn't even have to look at numbers to know that free throws cost us a few games last year. Missed front ends of one and ones, missed free throws in critical situations. Many of us commented here after games about how free throws were a big reason we lost. Guys like Hare and Iffy will never be good free throw shooters. But they have to go from being terrible to being at least OK. And all the rest of the guys have to get better. Without looking at numbers, I'd bet that EC was the only one who shot them at a good percentage. There were many reasons that we lost 18 games last year, but free throws were one of the big ones.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This team should be at least a solid NIT club by the end of the season, and if things break right, could make the NCAA tournament.

That's my take on the subject. If we end up winning less than 20 games, it will be a disappointment imo. Stay healthy and eligible, and we should get there.
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Friar fans will not like that article. How long will it take before one of them posts here to dispute it?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Can't wait to see reaction from PC fans to that article. It all sounds good, but until we beat them, it means nothing.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Oooooh, the top spot in Rhode Island basketball for a year. Now there's a lofty goal.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I believe the author of this piece is "The Warrior Friar", so hopefully PC fans will flip out on their board and not here.
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

He mentions "URI won’t go quietly into the night on December 6". Does this mean that the URI-PC game is on December 6th this year? A Saturday instead of a Thursday?
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

I think it's December 10th. (per Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports)
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Hilarious that one NCAA berth and all of a sudden PC are this insurmountable foe we are finally able to take down. Hubris and ignorance, a lethal cocktail.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

The story's PC-URI date is incorrect and there are plenty of other errors in this piece that should have been caught before it went public.

I just laugh at these kind of articles. Just baiting a reaction. Honestly, URI has nothing to say to PC right now -- they need to earn it on the floor both head to head and with NCAA berths.

PC has the head to head winning streak.
PC has been in the Dance twice since we have
PC owns the majority mindshare in RI

URI has lots of work to do. It starts this year but I don't want to hear any smack until we earn something.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Exactly! We haven't had a winning season in years, let alone a tournament.
Let's worry about our own program's development.
There are miles to go, before we can start any chest pounding.
The article seems to have been ignored, so far, on Scout.
It makes some points, but it's a long way until December.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I don't care enough about Providence to only view URI in relationship to them. But, every positive he mentioned about Rhody was spot on, and I can't wait to watch this backcourt develop.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

I agree, beating PC is nothing compared to the goals that we have for this team. It's like step one, coming out top 4 in conference will be much more difficult then beating PC on the road.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Beating PC will always be goal #1 for me. Of course there are much higher goals. That's just a personal one for me.
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

CT Rhody wrote:I agree, beating PC is nothing compared to the goals that we have for this team. It's like step one, coming out top 4 in conference will be much more difficult then beating PC on the road.
I agree. I wouldn't say this game is my top priority. Sure I'd like to win it. I'd like us to win every game. But I'd be much happier to see our team top 4 in this very underrated conference. I do like how the author is trying to revitalize this rivalry. There is nothing wrong with getting people excited as it is good for basketball in this state as a whole.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

A PC vs URI rivalry with real stakes is a good thing. Looking forward to the day when this game is a signature win for an NCAA bound team; ala the 90s
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That day is almost upon us, if not this year then next. URI is a big man and maybe a wing away from a deep run NCAA team.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

I think we have the pieces now. By the end of last year we were very competitive in every game but with Biggie hurt and Powell out we did not have the players to rotate through the guard spots. X leaving will hurt some but I think his D will be replaced immediately by Terrell. TJ will be better playing closer to 20 mins a game than 25 to 30. We had no PG for most of the year last season. I know things change quickly but this should be a very successful season
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I don't think we are this player or that player away from a tourney team, I think we are X months/year away from that and the only reason is youth and inexperience. An experienced group of EC, Hassy, JT and Garrett plus the other parts is an NCAA team IMO. They just need to mature and gel, who knows how quickly that happens.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Tom Penders @TomPenders · 14h
I've been to some #RhodeIsland summer practices . Danny @dhurley15 can really teach and coach . The M&M boys, Matthews and Martin can play!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Good thing Chris Martin's a really great guy because he could probably kill you with his bare hands.

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Where's Gil?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The M&M boys are gonna lead us to the promised land...and play their way into the NBA in the process. Both have NBA bodies, once their skill sets catch up sky is the limit. EC certainly further along but Hassan may have a higher ceiling. Exciting times ahead for Rhody hoops!!!!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

I am less hopeful of Hassan's NBA potential. Should be an awesome college player though.
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

rhodylaw wrote:I am less hopeful of Hassan's NBA potential. Should be an awesome college player though.
If he can develop a consistent outside shot then I think he has even more potential then EC. He has elite level athleticism and defensive instincts, especially when it comes to shot blocking. If his offensive game catches up at all, lookout.

I can see both if them being potential 1st round picks though. EC just needs to keep working on his right hand. Good defenders are going to start to force him right and I thought he had a little trouble with that towards the end of last season.
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

Let's cool the 1st round NBA talk for now and just hope for productive sophmore season from both of them. They have a long way to go until they're popping up on draft boards, including propelling their college team to the postseason.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Agree with KB.
Both kids have to develop their games to even think about
the NBA.
Let's worry about how they do on the court and how much they improve year to year.
We're lucky to have them both, but let's not put the cart before the horse.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.