Game #22: @ Fordham - Sat Feb 1, 7pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Re: Game #22: @ Fordham - Sat Feb 1, 7pm

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Tom98 wrote:I am more upset with Gil's poor defensive play. It is completely inexcusible for him to commit the tech he did. Hurley should bench him for the next game for that. I don't care... that is playing selfish and not thinking of his team. He is the worse defensive player I have ever seen. He commits lazy fouls every game and it needs to stop.
Gil seems to play well against good teams with a strong frontcourt and horrible against teams he should dominate. Does he take nights off? Is he overconfident against weaker teams? He needs to bring his A game every night no matter the opponent.
'No Mercy.'
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Sweep The Leg wrote:
Tom98 wrote:I am more upset with Gil's poor defensive play. It is completely inexcusible for him to commit the tech he did. Hurley should bench him for the next game for that. I don't care... that is playing selfish and not thinking of his team. He is the worse defensive player I have ever seen. He commits lazy fouls every game and it needs to stop.
Gil seems to play well against good teams with a strong frontcourt and horrible against teams he should dominate. Does he take nights off? Is he overconfident against weaker teams? He needs to bring his A game every night no matter the opponent.
This board is insane sometimes. Bench him for the next game? He got out rebounded and gave up a basket and was pissed and made a poor decision...it happens..I would've done the same thing...so would have Dan Hurley....I'm sure next time he will think twice but I think he learned his lesson and it didn't cost us the game. He played an otherwise good game they just killed us on the boards which I'm sure will be an area of focus.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The loss last night pretty much validates what everyone here doesn't want to admit: URI is again, for the 3rd year in a row, without a doubt one of the worst teams in the A-10. There really is not all that much that separates URI from Fordham, Duquense, and GMU. We are still not yet a mid tier level A-10 team.

Last night was the best shot at an A-10 road win. The remaining road games are all against appreciably better teams (VCU, SBU, Dayton, UMass) and a win will be a tall prospect.
Last edited by RF1 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I am bothered by all URI losses, but to lose to a crappy team like Fordham and do it three years in a row at Rose Hill really is grating. Fordham has the biggest asshole fans in the conference. These supposedly A-10 fans bragged about rooting for URI to lose to LSU. Talk about being petty and small minded, they win hands down.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Given the date and the fact that Bill Murray was at the game, I had the horrible thought that Rhody hoops had become like the movie Groundhog Day. History repeating itself again year after year with another bad team and another loss in the Bronx and Bill Murray there to take it all in. I just hope this miserable three year pattern is broken very soon.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It will be easy, just get better players in here.

Simple, right?

RF1, you're right on with your analysis of this team.

We can beat almost any A10 team at home, and lose to all of them on the road.

I think our only shot at a road win, is at Dayton. For some reason, we love to play them.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Speaking of GMU, that has to be the best 0-7 team ever, in this conference anyway!

They can't get over the hump. They play everybody, including the top teams, tough. Just can't finish.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I felt worse that Bob Hurley watched this debacle.
His opinion of a game is more telling than Bill Murray's.
Players not boxing out is a fundamental breakdown.
Sr. is the master of fundamentals, so he must've held his nose
during parts of the game.
Best part of the game was Alexa.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

^Haha yes it was and i think bill murray would agree
Common sense is not common.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Really had my hopes up.

Can't believe Fordham just pushed us around. Even their guards, they played like it was 1on1 and made 5-6 footers. At times Hassan was pushed on the ground at times. Our guys did not want to rebound with Fordham. Which hurts. You can't let a team shoot and get the ball back and shoot until they finally score every time down.

Hurts, nothing Hurley can do if his kids are scared to rebound with big bodies or just can't.

Between having a week to prepare. 0-6 team. Ability to hop into the middle tier of the a10. Fordham just bullying us on the boards and their drives.

Also I don't like Jon severe one bit. STRONGLY dislike him.

And for every good thing Gil does, he seems to do something equally bad. He seems to be slimmed down, chiseled and focused. Shame that he gives a negative for every positive, wish he could be a + player out there.

Still, how good does Rhody look when the ball is moving and guys are cutting, which we got at the end with munford and a few easy lay ins. Their offense looked awesome on those set plays and then they couldn't stop the offense of : 1on1 guard to the basket and then Fordham crashing the boards knowing they would get it. Incredible.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Losing sucks, but have you guys been paying attention? It's really hard to go on the road and win in this conference, and a team like URI has to be hitting on all cylinders to get the job done. There's no reason to start attacking our players over this one, they just weren't good enough last night. I think March 5th will bring about a different result.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

As I said earlier, #30 exposed what a complete lack of toughness Gil has. Pushed out of position repeatedly, throws a sissy elbow with the ref 5 feet away after getting embarrassed on 3 straight Fordham offensive RBs, and earlier ducking/not watching as an alley pop was thrown to him. 22 games into the season, and despite a few good games, no where near as advertised. Sorry guys I very rarely vent on our players, but he is the most frustrating underachiever for what he was supposed to be coming in. Before everyone attacks me, play back the offensive sets of Fordham and focus on Gil. Weak.
There I have vented and feel better!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, Hurley Sr. has watched a few of our games this year...has he seen one that we played well in?

Wonder if he's talked to his son about any of what he's seen.

Think we could use him in our practices or on the bench during games?
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Iggy1979 wrote:Will not miss X, sorry
Miss him on defense. Not offense. Pretty simple.
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

A bit of topic, but why do we have pictures of Mike Powell and Jordan Hare staring at me from opposite columns when I open the official URI gorhody.com basketball page?
Yes, I am in a bitchy mood today.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Didn't someone say TJ was limited due to cramps?

Would have been a different game if true.

Frazier wouldn't have been able to do what he did last night.

As for the inside game, a joke. Fordham has had NO inside game all year. Until last night, that is.

We really need a guy like Watson. Biruta is not a center, and Martin's a frosh. Even having Aaman would have helped.

No need to talk much about Iffy. Basically useless right now.
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Rambone, yes TJ started cramping up in the first half and it continued for the rest of game
Common sense is not common.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Not sure we need two coaches at full blast.
Bob has been known to physically threaten players.
As Bobby told me, there's a lot of stuff he couldn't get away with
in college ball.
He's judge, jury and executioner at St. Anthony's. He's also the sole reason
that school exists.
Still think we could use a George Blaney type on staff.
Ramtastico is right about Gil's lack of toughness last night.
Odd, because he doesn't always play soft. He was a bear against GMU and Dayton.
The silly fouls bother me more than anything else.
I have to say, Gil is a terrific passer. All the more reason to use him in a high post
around the free throw line against the zone.
Something that we just don't do.
We need interior toughness next year. If reports of Animal Battista, aka Earl Watson are
correct, he's flattening our guys in practice.
Of course, we heard that about Oneykaba, too.
This kid who'll be here Sunday,Rokas Gustys, is supposed to be one tough number.
He's also a Lithuanian, and hoping Gil is a reason for him wanting
to come here.
Gil can help him adjust to URI and college ball, and Rokas can show him how
to bang people around.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Did not see nor hear the game. Question, Matthew Butler; playing time in this game? His stat line? Should he be getting major minutes to learn rather than watching? I am ready to turn the page to next season.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, it seems Gil plays tough at home, and Caspar Milquetoast on the road.

Maybe because he seems to get in foul trouble more on the road, and is afraid to mix it up?

He and Hassan do tend to get pushed around more on the road, I guess it's just the refereeing angle.

They just need more help. That kid Rhoomes picked last night to be a bear on the boards, something he hadn't done all year.

The Fordham board has been all over Pecora, to get more aggressive with their frontcourt, and drive the ball with their guards, instead of just chucking up 3's all game, like they've done all year.

Well, they found their foil last night, with our depleted frontcourt, and TJ's cramps.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote:Rod,
In my response to GBG I was attempting to explain the reasons why URI is ranked #11 Nationally in 3 point defense. Foremost I was trying to counter the arguement that our 3 point defense ranking could simply be a matter of luck as was being conjectured.
I have seen Garrett play numerous times - both last year and this year - I know his game viewing in person
I loved Tyson, Jiggy, Silk, Spud Webb, Mugsey Bogues, etc.
But I absolutely loved when Magic Johnson played PG at 6'9".
But my main point is I love our current guards' height AND strength now in EC, TJ and X. Plus their aggressive defense - no doubt in my mind that is why we are 11th in 3 point defense - not just a stroke of "good luck".
AND I expect our ranking to go even higher as these 3 guys play together the remainder of the season.
And while I like the play of many point guards that have been shorter than 6' I will always prefer the 6'2 and taller PG.
It's ironic that Fordham shot 47% from three after this discussion. I almost need to take responsibility for the jinx.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

GBG, you might be right.

Fordham has been missing wide open 3's all year.

Not last night.

Even with our shortcomings as a team, if we played them 10 times at their place, we'd win most of them.

Last night was an anomaly.

Sort of like last year, when we won at St. Louis. We made everything. The rest of the year, we couldn't hit anything. Freakish.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

We also shot a good percentage against Dayton last week. That is not the norm this year.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think our guys let the whistles take them out of their game on the road.
You can see it when a call doesn't go their way. The body language is
so noticeably negative.
Of course picking up fouls also physically takes them out of the game.
Mental toughness is what helps on the road.
In Penders' time here, we were known as The Rhode Warriors. We played so well on
the road, that Penders took a home game at Keaney vs. West Virginia and moved it
to MSG, and beat the Mountaineers badly there.
Those teams had Silk playing with a bullet in his arm, and guys like Garrick, Evans and Green.
Those guys never backed down to any team.
Still, you still need talent to go with the mindset.
To date, we don't have the mindset and we don't have enough talent.
It'll happen, but obviously not this season.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Also, for a while now we've played good defense.

Last night, we took the night off. TJ's issues most likely cost us the game.

That wasn't the only reason the defense sucked, but it happens.

For us to win, especially on the road, most everything has to work. We played well offensively. We played lousy defense. We shot our usual crappy FT percentage. One out of three.

Even against Fordham, not good enough. Still might have been, if they didn't pick last night to make their 3's.

And Rod, very well put. That's why everything depends on recruiting going forward. Like you and 105 just said, it's not happening this year. For it to happen in the future, well you know.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Post game show in case anyone (like me immediately deleted the game off my DVR or turned off the video stream):
http://www.920whjj.com/media/podcast-ur ... asketball/
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

was there as well, cant believe we have dropped two straight to them in the bronx. awful

bottom line, we can't win when Gil doesn't get 30+ minutes...i wonder how many minutes he averages in wins vs losses?
once he gets in trouble he then plays hollow D so he can stay in the game for offense. i think he is an average defender at full throttle. below when he is playing cautious. its an easy formula until we have more front court depth.

for those offensive "play" guys, they ran 1 on 1 ISO for 10 minutes and we couldn't do anything to stop it. We aren't good enough in zone I guess or that was an option, though they are a decent outside shooting team and we likely could have gotten burned quick there. Frazier is a good player, our perimeter D made him look better. Up to that point it was a strong point of the season, including our Defesnive 3pt%...Fordham guards owned us. Severe shot it 85-90% of the time he caught it. X foul trouble hurt us. Not sure if that last play by X has you disgruntled Iggy, but he brought us back from 10 down single-handedly and was efficient down the stretch. he probably was fouled on that play, but the game was lost already.

Hassan had a great opening 10 mins, and then disappeared for final 30 save for a couple blocks. still have to love the idea of 3 more years of him and EC, who was solid again tonight. They couldn't stop us on offense when we were at full strength, problem was we weren't for large stretches and their back court outplayed us. as some have said we are probably good enough to beat or lose to anyone in the league, on any given night. two more big chances coming up.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

section(105) wrote:Did not see nor hear the game. Question, Matthew Butler; playing time in this game? His stat line? Should he be getting major minutes to learn rather than watching? I am ready to turn the page to next season.
Butler played 10 minutes, mostly in the 1st half when Munford was in foul trouble. He took one three and missed it. All zeros on the stat line otherwise. He just doesn't bring a whole lot to the table at the moment.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

bigappleram wrote:bottom line, we can't win when Gil doesn't get 30+ minutes...i wonder how many minutes he averages in wins vs losses?
(Gilvydas Biruta) struggled with foul trouble and saw just 24 minutes of action. Rhode Island is 4-8 when Biruta has four or more fouls in a single game and 6-7 and when playing 25 minutes or less.

Source: http://gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/2013 ... 0201qiaem3
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

I think the most frustrating thing for me is our fast break, it sucks. How can we have a 3 guard lineup and yet no one who can make a decent pass on the break. Earlier in the year, I was annoyed how everyone was taking it themselves instead of passing to the open guy. I was wrong, they're better off taking it themselves.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

BFC wrote:I think the most frustrating thing for me is our fast break, it sucks. How can we have a 3 guard lineup and yet no one who can make a decent pass on the break. Earlier in the year, I was annoyed how everyone was taking it themselves instead of passing to the open guy. I was wrong, they're better off taking it themselves.
Yet in the 3 guard lineup, there is no true point guard. After seeing Garrett live yesterday, I'm convinced he's exactly what we need. He is the true definition of a point guard.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:
BFC wrote:I think the most frustrating thing for me is our fast break, it sucks. How can we have a 3 guard lineup and yet no one who can make a decent pass on the break. Earlier in the year, I was annoyed how everyone was taking it themselves instead of passing to the open guy. I was wrong, they're better off taking it themselves.
Yet in the 3 guard lineup, there is no true point guard. After seeing Garrett live yesterday, I'm convinced he's exactly what we need. He is the true definition of a point guard.
and our 3 guard line up we lost to a 4 guard line up
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The most positive thing I saw in the game was the play of Reichel. He is a SF and can't play inside. But, he has the size to be a peripheral defender and he is beginning to hit shots and make lay-ups. I hope this continues against stronger opponents.

URI needs help inside. When an opponent has three trey threats, our inside players can get no help.

EC was great; I'm beginning to take that for granted and don't praise him enough.
NCAAs or Bust!
ram12
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ram12 »

X is a huge boost to our team, but he has had too many big plays at the end of games where he has just blown it. EC will fill in any losses for him next year with the addition of a solid PG (hopefully Garrett).
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

X scored the last NINE points for us last night.
Guess that's blowing it.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Even if you have a true point guard, you can't count on him leading the break every time. Every guard should be able to run a 2 on 1 fast break.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

IMHO, I think our fast break isn't as productive as one would like cause; it becomes a slower break cause it starts with dribble moves rather than an outlet pass, and that results in us not having a numbers advantage......it would be interesting to see how many fast break points we get per game....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Matthews has missed several breakaways this season.
Two on missed dunks.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I remember Jimmy Wright having trouble making layups in his freshman year. Just couldn't finish after making good moves to the basket. Sometimes, with talented kids, you see this and feel it's going to change quickly. It sure did with Jimmy.
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

A few have mentioned this already, but JR played great yesterday. Hope that continues. Strange to me how rapidly Big O disappeared, and hasn't even shown flashes since.

Frazier was great, but I hate watching Severe play. Glad he didn't come here.
Go Rhody!
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Andrew wrote:A few have mentioned this already, but JR played great yesterday. Hope that continues. Strange to me how rapidly Big O disappeared, and hasn't even shown flashes since.

Frazier was great, but I hate watching Severe play. Glad he didn't come here.
Agree with all points. I had mentioned previously that I wished Severe was on our team. After all that has come out on him, I'm now glad that he's not here. I think he'd be a major distraction.
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

I was in attendance, and I remain confident that we have the right pieces in place to be successful in the future. But wow was our defense bad that game. They killed us with the dribble drive offense and Gil was manhandled down low. It's too bad Iffy struggles so much with fundamentals we could have used him on the glass.
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Our guys have been getting beat to the hoop with regularity this year, remember the fire-hydrant from SLU, he got to the rim every possession during that game. It's not just the man-up D that stinks, I've noticed this team is horrible at coming over to help. That needs to improve as well.
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Proof that there is no justice in life.
Check out Alexa Datt's husband.
This guys does interviews on the Washington Capital's weekly
show. He's a real gavone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:Proof that there is no justice in life.
Check out Alexa Datt's husband.
This guys does interviews on the Washington Capital's weekly
show. He's a real gavone.

I once dated a girl who said (with a lot of people around) that she would never date a guy simly on looks. Naturally, I dumped her.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Its taken me a few days to deal with this, and want to revisit the boards.

I do not blame Dan for the free throws. I don't think you can.

This is 100% on the players. Jimmy and Billy Baron are perfect examples of what practicing free throws can do for you. They both practice in the dark. Often. A lot.

You should be able to shut your eyes and make a f$*#&ng free throw. It's the same no matter where it is. There's no weather, no one defending you, the ball is the same, the shot is taken from EXACTLY the same spot on the floor, at a rim that is exactly the same height and distance away as any other court in the country.

You should practice enough that it is a mechanical reaction to put a ball into a hoop.

If you continually suck at shooting free throws - it is without a doubt, unquestionably, undeniably because you are lazy. You don't care enough about basketball or this team to take time out of the other areas of your life to practice.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote:Its taken me a few days to deal with this, and want to revisit the boards.

I do not blame Dan for the free throws. I don't think you can.

This is 100% on the players. Jimmy and Billy Baron are perfect examples of what practicing free throws can do for you. They both practice in the dark. Often. A lot.

You should be able to shut your eyes and make a f$*#&ng free throw. It's the same no matter where it is. There's no weather, no one defending you, the ball is the same, the shot is taken from EXACTLY the same spot on the floor, at a rim that is exactly the same height and distance away as any other court in the country.

You should practice enough that it is a mechanical reaction to put a ball into a hoop.

If you continually suck at shooting free throws - it is without a doubt, unquestionably, undeniably because you are lazy. You don't care enough about basketball or this team to take time out of the other areas of your life to practice.
This is literally the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life. Taken to it's logical conclusion, everyone that doesn't shoot 100% is lazy. Where is your line between hard working and lazy? Caring about your team and not? 80%? 65%? 68.253%? Is that the Blue Man line? Really dumb. But, easy to say with internet anonymity. Doubt you would say that to Hassan.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

have to agree with GBG....did you not read about Shaq shooting 1000 free throws a week, working with shot doctors, psychiatrists, rick barry, etc. Its not just repetition or desire, that's a naive observation. These guys all work hard on their games.

we arent a great shooting team, we arent a great foul shooting team. that is the correlation and that only. stop with the nonsense that our guys dont work on their foul shots, the coach himself has clowned fans for making such stupid comments.
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I don't want to add fuel to the fire here BAR, but 1000 shots a week is next to nothing to some of these guys. Great shooters get in 1000 shots a day when they are working on something.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody Guy, it was just to make a point not to be taken literal....it was well documented how hard Shaq worked at free throws with little to no tangible results coming from it. That is all I was getting at. I realize great shooters put up huge numbers of shots per day.