Thorr Bjorn to Remain AD at Rhode Island

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Thorr Bjorn Rumored to be Strong Candidate for Xavier AD

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

rodfromcranston wrote:DARYL! DARYL! DARYL!
Agreed, especially if there will be no external search.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: If Thorr leaves-the list !

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Well ATP, thank God he brought the Hurleys here before he left.

He's left the BB program in good hands. I'm sure he's discussed this with them, and they're OK with it.

As to what happens next, I have no idea. This might not be a good time to be without an AD, with the conference situation in flux, but it's out of URI's control. Would there be an interim AD? Hopefully Jasper?

Whoever the next AD is, if it turns out to be a poor hire, the Hurleys will be out of here sooner than later. That's reality, not specualtion.

I think Rod would agree. Right?
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

WALTER! WALTER! WALTER! Walter Boyle that is! If he is not available, there is no hope for us...
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Wow, is this next hire critical.

The whole future of the athletic dept. rides on this one. That includes the Hurleys' future here.

Jasper would seem to be the logical choice right now. Let's just hope Dooley agrees, especially if Dan and Bobby support the move.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I can see the Projo is all over this news. Not.

You could probably get more info from the towel boy, than those clowns.
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

Big difference between posting on a message board and having the adequate confirmation to put it in print. I'm sure SGreenwell, ATP and the rest of the admins here could attest to that.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Kevin McNamara did tweet on this topic and they logged a preliminary report, but correct that there's likely not enough confirmed information available from multiple, trusted sources to warrant a follow-up at this time.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

To be frank.....I am more concerned with who our basketball coach is rather than who the AD is......the coach is the face of athletics at URI.....the president being a big proponent of sports is also important....

....to boost the AD's salary to keep him here would be a waste , IMHO......I would rather see that boost go to the basketball coaching staff if Hurley becomes as successful as we hope he does....and we can emulate Butler and VCU who have kept good coaches from leaving....

....who are the AD's at Butler and VCU ???

.....I believe even I could do an exemplary job as AD if given the chance.....and I am not joking....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ramulous, I agree with you, but the AD is important to the overall direction of the program.

URI has had their share of AD's who have made many poor decisions in the past. Too many and too often to list.

The president depends on his AD to make those decisions. Yes, Dooley has the final say on the most important issues, but he relies heavily on Thorr making the right recommendations.
Rhody Blue
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody Blue »

OBRAM - mentioned PAt Narduzzi a former URI football player who transferred from Youngstown State where his dad had been a head coach. I searched at one point and found he is making in the range of 525 k to be the def coordinator at Mich State. Pat is a solid guy and tremendous football mind. He will be a head coach soon IMO
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

The thing about Daryl, is his close relationship to the Hurley's and
the basketball prgram in general.
He's got the background and the personality to succeed here, and
everyone at URI knows him.
I hope they don't need a dumb search committee to find someone right under their noses.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, didn't Thorr and Dooley bypass the search committee routine to hire the Hurleys? Same with Rizzi?

If Thorr is indeed gone, hopefully Dooley can avoid that dog and pony show also.

Nothing like academics on a coaching search committee. No clue.

Wasn't Lamar on the committee after Harrick left? That was a circus.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Lamar being on the search committee was the reason Bobby Knight refused to interview here
after Jerry D left.
He blasted the school in a New York paper interrview.
Said he'd never be part of a school where a player had a say in a coach being hired.
Good point. Tail sure wagged the dog then.
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

And that's why the school has to keep its own counsel here. Yes, the Hurleys should feel good about who URI hires, but they can't have the final say or anything close to it. That would immediately cut the AD's power and ability to make tough decisions. The school itself is going to be around far longer than any one of its coaches and the AD must have both the vision and freedom to act as such.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yes, the Hurleys can't make the call on a new AD, but they need to be supportive of the choice.

Their expertise needs to be utilized. Dooley is smart enough about these things, to know who to listen to.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Jasper would be a good choice. I still wish Tom McElroy had been given more of a real shot. He had big time skills and goals. But everyone on campus bitched and moaned about his personality. Too bad. He had the pedigree we needed. Anyway, Jasper sounds like the solid choice.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Ramblinrose wrote:Jasper would be a good choice. I still wish Tom McElroy had been given more of a real shot. He had big time skills and goals. But everyone on campus bitched and moaned about his personality. Too bad. He had the pedigree we needed. Anyway, Jasper sounds like the solid choice.
Tom McElroy was an ASS
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

Would love to see D Jasp as the AD, though they might be looking to bring in a more experienced administrator.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It is a pretty sobering situation when you consider that Bjorn going to a much smaller school that has no football and sponsors less varsity athletics programs is considered a career upgrade in terms of salary and position.

URI
Undergrdauates: 14,546
Post Graduates: 4,549
Total Students: 19,095
Athletic Programs: 18 (8 men's incl football, 10 women's)

Xavier
Undergrdauates: 4,540
Post Graduates: 2,405
Total Students: 6,945
Athletic Programs: 16 (8 men's with no football, 8 women's)
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Yes, but RF1, they are going to more than double his salary.
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

8 years as Assistant GM of the Pawsox isn't enough experience as an administrator?
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

If Thorr does leave as it looks will happen, I can't but help think that the main reason is really the financial constraints he is under at URI. While I am sure higher salary and playing in a better conference are factors, the frustration of what he couldn't do at URI is probably the biggest motivation for change.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Agreed.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Maybe you guys just hang out in more altruistic circles than I do, but I think pretty much everyone I know would jump at the chance to double their salary with the #1 factor for moving being doubling their salary.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

BFC wrote:Maybe you guys just hang out in more altruistic circles than I do, but I think pretty much everyone I know would jump at the chance to double their salary with the #1 factor for moving being doubling their salary.
While I agree - we're comparing living in Rhode Island to living in Ohio. And Thorr or any AD isn't like most of us going paycheck to paycheck. I'm sure it gets to a point where it's just numbers in your account.

I think there's a TON of stuff going on behind the scenes involving Dooley, the budget, the general stagnant nature and resistance to change of this state and the university, etc...
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Ramulous wrote:To be frank.....I am more concerned with who our basketball coach is rather than who the AD is......the coach is the face of athletics at URI.....the president being a big proponent of sports is also important....

....to boost the AD's salary to keep him here would be a waste , IMHO......I would rather see that boost go to the basketball coaching staff if Hurley becomes as successful as we hope he does....and we can emulate Butler and VCU who have kept good coaches from leaving....

....who are the AD's at Butler and VCU ???

.....I believe even I could do an exemplary job as AD if given the chance.....and I am not joking....
If you don't think this job is important all I'll say is Ron Petro and Jerry D.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

It isn't just Rhode Island to Ohio, it's Rhode Island to southwestern Ohio, and take it from someone that has lived in both southwestern Ohio and Rhode Island, there's no comparison. Rhode Island is just a better place to live, particularly for someone who has lived most or all of his life in the northeast.

If you've never spent time in southwestern Ohio, it's like Kentucky. Many of you probably have preconceived notions of what Kentucky is like. Well, that's exactly what the Cincinnati/Dayton area is like too.

I'd rather work for what Thorr's salary is now in Rhode Island than make double that and have to live in that part of Ohio.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Look at the people since Mo Zarchen.
Mac Boston, came and went. Who knows if he was good or bad.
John Chuckran? Got rid of the real Ramettes for being "too slutty".
Ron Petro, let Skinner walk. Hired Harrick, but backstabbed him when he agreed to
return to URI after leaving for Georgia.
Also, hired Jerry D. Most horrible sin any AD here ever committed.
Hired Baron after his infamous, "We're reaching for the stars on this hire!" Yeah, right.
Was he the one who oversaw the insane CFL extension?
McElroy? Didn't like the culture in the Athletic Department.
Thorr, brought in new blood in the Athletic Dept. Oversaw the disasterous football flip-flop.
Hiring Hurley was epic.
Yes, it's important who is AD, because of who they hire and the decisions they make
regarding all programs at URI.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

You need to have experience in dealing with the NCAA to be an AD. You also need someone who can be a leader in the conferences in which URI competes as well as the conferences we might want to compete. Those who think anyone can do this job is clueless. Fortunately, there will be many choices as good or better than Thorr.
NCAAs or Bust!
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Has anyone noticed that CVS stock hit an all time high today. TRyan as always helped out a great deal, but with all the stock options , he could buy the
Dunk 4 times over. I wish we could have at least a Stony Brook type all purpose stadium that can be used for soccer, football, host the Scholar Games( I know it has been disgraced), but it was a good program, and convert Meade into the outdoor track.

Well, we don't know if Thorr is gone, but if he is, I think he is the best AD I every encountered at URI. If you donate money to athletics, you get a response, not like the Fund for URI , you donate to that and nobody ever give you thanks.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I really have great respect for Dooley. I think he is going to be remembered as one of our greatest presidents. Have you seen the campus lately? It is amazing. He is finding the funding to make URI great. If he needs to hire a new AD I have faith it will be a great hire. If you get a chance, talk to him. He is approachable and really takes interest in concerns. He really seems to have the best interest of URI at the forefront of what he does. With him as pres I don't have the sky is falling attitude that was so easy (and justified) for athletics.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

This is from our own Smarty Barrett...

http://rhodyrampage.com/2013/03/13/rhod ... ers-radar/
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

What a day. We lose Wes Welker and Thorr within hours.
What is really upsetting as a fan is the fact that we seem to be standing still while this new conference takes what they want.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Fair well, Thorr. And thanks for your service!

Rhody will be OK. I trust President Dooley to hire a worthy replacement.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Updated: Thorr Bjorn is the new AD at Xavier

I'm sure Thorr consulted Dan and Bobby about his move. Maybe they aren't too happy about it, but I'm sure they understand his reasons for leaving, and wish him the best.

Hopefully the search for a new AD doesn't become too long and drawn out. While I would like to see Jasper get the job [and probably Dan and Bobby would too] who knows what will happen.

I do think that Dooley will make a good choice. It's absolutely imperative that he does.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Mike Laprey via twitter:
"RIP accuracy. In the rush to be first, I bid thee farewell."
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Kingston »

This may have been posted but I'm sure this spells the end for football. Giving the age of his kids and the general uptrend in all URI athletics SOccer new coach with promise men's track a powerhouse same said for baseball in the northeast at least. I feel THorr must have felt pretty comfortable in his long term future here. This does not even take into consideration that the Hurleys may be the best hire in college basketball. I think we'll see the. Writing is on the wall for football and he doesn't want to be in charge when that program disappears . That could be a black mark on him for any future jobs. This is the case or the A10 is done as we know it. In good news PC lost today.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think you may be right about football, but I hope to hell that Thorr isn't leaving because he thinks the A10 is doomed. And that it spells trouble for URI BB and the Hurleys.

I prefer to think he knows that football is doomed here. That I can live with.

Or maybe it's really all about the money.
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

Section104 wrote:Mike Laprey via twitter:
Hmm. Why would he tweet this? Even if that story is jumping the gun, isn't Thorr going to end up at Xavier eventually anyway?
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

So, we have an official within the URI Athletics Dept calling out the lack of accuracy in the RhodyRampage.com story posted above.

How do we read into Mike's tweet? Accuracy may mean the RhodyRampage article was not 100% accurate, but it may not mean that Thorr isn't gone.... at least not "officially"... whatever that means these days.

The only items being reported in Dave's story are 1) Thorr has accepted the Xavier AD job and 2) the announcement will happen following the conclusion of the A10 tournament (as I posted earlier in this thread). At least one of these must be inaccurate.

Perhaps "accepting" the job is not yet official, as in signed documentation. However, there may be an agreement in principle between Thorr and Xavier. Who knows?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah, my opinion is that this isn't the New York Times. I don't have more sources. It's being reported that it is a done deal, so I updated the thread title. I guess maybe its better to hedge. I'll modify the title for now.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Section104 wrote:Mike Laprey via twitter:
So what exactly does this mean?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Reports: Thorr Bjorn is the new AD at Xavier

I take Mike's tweet to be more a comment about the state of modern media than as a cryptic rebuttal of the report.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Agreed, TP. I think it's a done deal too, but it's most likely not yet "official".
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Hey guys, just saw all of this. I stand by the piece. ATP summed up the two bits of news, which is all I reported. I was honestly very paranoid about saying anything. Was in no rush to be first, but have not heard anything otherwise to make me retract any of it.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Good job, Dave. I haven't seen anything you reported disputed anywhere.
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Rhodyhooopz wrote:
Ramblinrose wrote:Jasper would be a good choice. I still wish Tom McElroy had been given more of a real shot. He had big time skills and goals. But everyone on campus bitched and moaned about his personality. Too bad. He had the pedigree we needed. Anyway, Jasper sounds like the solid choice.
Tom McElroy was an ASS
Retweet.
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Bye bye Thorr bye bye !!
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Well, better to have had a good AD like Thorr that other schools want, then to have an AD that did not do a good job. I think Thorr was here about 5-6 years. When he was picked in 2007 or 2008 insiders of URI Athletics told me they felt that he would eventually move on, but to school with big time football like Umass. Who knows he could end of at a school like Umass in a few years. Xavier seems to be a stopping off place for many coaches and AD's also.
URI maybe the only State University that aspires it Athletics to be like a small Catholic college (Assumption), rather than a State University.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

OBRAM, URI is hamstrung by being in a very small state with no big thinkers in the state house.

The athletic dept. will sink or swim on it's own. Even if the Hurleys bring us considerable basketball success, with the increased revenue from the NCAA associated with that, that by itself isn't going to be enough to support the increased financial committments needed to fully fund sports at URI.

That money is going to have to come from outside. That's why it so important to hire someone that will continue to increase fund raising, as Thorr was doing, but maybe on an even greater scale. The good news is, with success that money should come, as more and larger donors should get on board.

Dooley's been doing that for the academic side. Athletics has to follow suit.

Forget state money. URI should be prepared for even less from them in the future. I think they know that.