The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

People keep forgetting about Christion Thompson. He has 2 more years also.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Gonebarongone wrote:
bigappleram wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote: Welp...I had realized I spent too much time on a message board typing dopey replies and getting into it with others. I still read all the game threads for, mostly, pretty good insight not found in other media. I just find the coaching stuff pretty interesting. And, again, I am saying I think he stays. Thanks for your comment, though. Hope everyone here is doing well.
PS Magical season? A good team with great guards playing a weak schedule. It will become magical with a few wins.
A weak schedule? Wasn’t our OOC SOS Top 5 in the country. Don’t let facts get in the way. Convenient you realize you posted too much just as we started winning. Would love to know how many posts you have made since the Fordham game last year to now. You are a wolf in sheep’s clothing and you aren’t even good at that. Let’s bring back your posts about Xavier Mumford. You have been wrong since Day 1. Carry on troll.
Non conference SOS (kenpom) is #67. Tell me what you think the five best wins are. I posted after last season very positively about DH. You can look it up since you are so obsessed. My opinion on him has changed. It's OK to change in life as you take in experience. I thought he was going to bounce from URI as soon as he could. I was wrong. I thought losing Preston and Bobby would hurt his recruiting. It did for a few years until this class but this is a good one. I still hate his sets in big spots and, probably, what will cost URI a deep run. But the fact that there is a run to be discussed is a testament to him. I just got tired of typing the same stuff over and over replying to weirdos like you.
Our 5 best wins- Seton Hall, PC, Bonnies, Charleston and Davidson. All 5 are tourney teams fwiw. You love quoting Ken Pom when it suits your fancy, we had one of the best OOC schedules in the country which is why we were able to endure a season in a really Down league year yet maintain equity in the polls, lose games and stay ranked, and earn the highest seed in program history. Not a magical season? A 365 day conference winning streak, wire to wire regular season champs, taking down another ranked Big East opponent, ending a 7 year losing streak to PC, highest attendance in history of Ryan Center. But you’re right just another season.

You are a shameless troll, whose every theory about the game, the players and the coach has been proven wrong. You had a great epiphany that you posted too much, conveniently when all our metrics started to uptick. There isn’t a fan in sports, of any team, that would exhibit the behaviors you do. You aren’t even good at being a troll. Buh bye
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

theblueram wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:Yea TP ive flipped sides. Oh well. I never thought Ollie leaving was possible/a year or two ago DH wasn't #1 contender.

DCRam I don't think we are so bad next year. Definitely not multiple years. But Rebuild to what? 16 games in a row? Doesnt have to be that.

I think URI will be back quick to playing with most teams on every night. Playing with the best on our best nights. And contending for an A10 title.
Heck, Jermaine Harris is playing the 4 next year along with Fatts, Jeff at the point and Cyril down low. Then we have some young, really good guards coming in. If one of them shines, look out.
Totally agree. I think the team is set up nicely to contend next year. Then absolutely the year after that.

But struggle next year? The starters will have tons of experience. And skill. Dowtin/Fatts/Langevine. That is more than most teams have.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ram1980 wrote:If next years class is as good as advertised I can picture a st joes of this year type run... Struggle at the beginning getting use to college game and being there right at the end of conference tourney
Sure, maybe. But Jermaine Harris is going to be a beast. And CT will be back. Akele will be a senior. So, I think "rebuild" is a bit outlandish.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I don't know why, but I think Layssard will make a Berry type of improvement next year and contribute 15 minutes or so a game. Maybe I'm crazy...
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Billyboy78 wrote:I don't know why, but I think Layssard will make a Berry type of improvement next year and contribute 15 minutes or so a game. Maybe I'm crazy...
A little crazy... but not THAT crazy. I mean after Berry's first year here who would have thought he'd be starting this season?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

URI'21 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:I don't know why, but I think Layssard will make a Berry type of improvement next year and contribute 15 minutes or so a game. Maybe I'm crazy...
A little crazy... but not THAT crazy. I mean after Berry's first year here who would have thought he'd be starting this season?
I know he played against scrubs, but he was very aggressive on the boards and showed some skills. I don't see many skills in Preston and I don't see any in Tertsea, but I do see some in Layssard. It wouldn't shock me to see him get minutes next year.
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
URI'21 wrote:
I know he played against scrubs, but he was very aggressive on the boards and showed some skills. I don't see many skills in Preston and I don't see any in Tertsea, but I do see some in Layssard. It wouldn't shock me to see him get minutes next year.
Agreed. 15-20 minutes to supplement Cyril & Jermaine as a big wouldn't surprise me either
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

URI'21 wrote:
Once again, I know it was against scrubs, but Big Mike played 35 minutes this year, scored 19 points (9-13 from the field) and had 10 rebounds. He did something with his garbage minutes whereas Preston and Tertsea did basically nothing with theirs.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think we will be a nice team next year. We could use a knockdown wing shooter with the last open scholly. Either a juco or 5th year.

That could be the difference between an NIT type team or at least a bubble NCAA team.

Dan needs to stay. Not just for the recruits. Frankly all this talk about other possible offers is tiresome imo......hell our season isn't over yet.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I agree on Laysard also he may contribute next year and if not next year definitely as a senior like Berry did

Also I just read that Georgia is interested in Slick Rick Pitino
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Would be a perfect match.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think our 4 recruits have very possibly a higher ceiling than our current seniors.

I don't mean that as blasphemy either.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

reef wrote:I agree on Laysard also he may contribute next year and if not next year definitely as a senior like Berry did

Also I just read that Georgia is interested in Slick Rick Pitino
I guess they didn't learn from Jim Harrick.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I apologize, not a rebuild, but not. 25-7 team. Maybe 19-12 or 17-14....but we have some reacclimating to do.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rambone 78 wrote:I think our 4 recruits have very possibly a higher ceiling than our current seniors.

I don't mean that as blasphemy either.
I agree. Keep everyone on board and I think the team in two years could be the best team in the history of the program. Obviously so much of that is based on projections and depends on player development, so I'm not predicting it I'm just saying the potential is there. And I say that with full appreciation for all of the great teams that have come thru here, this year's record-setting team included.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
steviep123
Sly Williams

I think next year, of course they'll fall a bit from this phenomenal year, but will still be in contention for a top 4 spot in the A10 and at be near the bubble at the very least.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

And just think, when Harris, Adams, Martin and Tate are seniors, Terrence Clarke will be a freshman!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Guys. I'm begging you here. I feel like I'm repeating myself, but we really need to be less sensitive about this stuff. It is part of the territory, and it will be for as long as Hurley is the coach and we have success, which is want we all presumably want.

People that who have a good feel for this situation have been telling you that Hurley has at most one job left in him and if he goes he will go to a truly elite program; that he doesn't want to do anymore rebuilds; that he and his family are happy in Rhode Island; that the guy is wired differently and isn't chasing the money, he just wants to have things needs to succeed; etc.
This has been repeated like a talking point from all people with any ties to him. The person that leads this story is suddenly absent again. Right around the time every year they go absent. Then 6 weeks later it comes out that DH was a little closer to the door than we all thought.

It's not mutually exclusive to be a good person and take a new job.
Because it’s so much fun to have threads that slam Dan- liar, traitor, I’ll never trust a word he says again?! Who wouldn’t want to stick around to read those?
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

steviep123 wrote:I think next year, of course they'll fall a bit from this phenomenal year, but will still be in contention for a top 4 spot in the A10 and at be near the bubble at the very least.
I said it a month ago, next year's team feels like it could be very similar to that 2014-15 team. That's pretty low on the rebuild scale. Does Pitt or UConn with sanctions feel like an NIT team next year and a tournament team after?
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:I think next year, of course they'll fall a bit from this phenomenal year, but will still be in contention for a top 4 spot in the A10 and at be near the bubble at the very least.
I said it a month ago, next year's team feels like it could be very similar to that 2014-15 team. That's pretty low on the rebuild scale. Does Pitt or UConn with sanctions feel like an NIT team next year and a tournament team after?
I disagree , Fatts, Jeff, Langevine and whatever the bench can produce, plus best class ever (possibly) with NCAA experience is better.
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Yeah, I think it’s not a bad comparison, but the primary difference between next year’s team and the 2014-15 team will be experience. Yes, there will be potentially four freshmen getting significant minutes, but Jeff, Cyril and Akele will have played in 3+ NCAA tournament games and two A10 championships; Fatts and Christion will have played in the NCAA tournament and A10 final. The biggest struggle for that 2014-15 team, IMO, was that nobody on that team had ever won anything and they seemed to have a mental block that prevented them from getting over the hump. They didn’t know how to win big games yet. The leadership on next year’s team will not have that issue. I think that could be the difference between a near-miss like they had in 14-15 and being on the right side of the bubble. Plus, depending on how ready these freshmen are, next year’s team is probably more talented 1-8/9 than the 14-15 team. I think this team should be a NCAA tournament team next year, with a floor of being a top seeded NIT team.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think it's going to be a matter of how fast they gel, as to whether they are an NCAA tourney team.....as we've seen, the whole body of work during the regular season is of major importance, so our OOC performance will be a big factor.

We will have a lot of new players....and we probably will have another that we don't know of yet, that last open scholarship.

I expect major improvement as the season goes along. We will need to finish strong. This season, we did more than enough to get in, before the last week or two.....likely will not be the case next year.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

rambone 78 wrote:I think it's going to be a matter of how fast they gel, as to whether they are an NCAA tourney team.....as we've seen, the whole body of work during the regular season is of major importance, so our OOC performance will be a big factor.

We will have a lot of new players....and we probably will have another that we don't know of yet, that last open scholarship.

I expect major improvement as the season goes along. We will need to finish strong. This season, we did more than enough to get in, before the last week or two.....likely will not be the case next year.
I think next year we have a season like Davidson just had.

Have a couple key hold overs and a crop of young talent.

Start slow as the new guys learn the system and get acclimated then turn it on in the 2nd half and go on a run
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Dan seems to be improving as a coach every year too. Not just his demeanor but his play selection, use of personnel (tho that probably was easy when you have 8 starters :-) ) game prep (except for St Joe’s), etc. I imagine he’ll continue to improve in developing the Fab Four.
Slava Ukraini!
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

Tillerson out as Secretary of State........Dan Hurley is the leading candidate to replace him......
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What I like about Fatts and Jeff....those two are our best at seeing the floor and getting guys open shots.....

Will be so key next season.....they will really help with the development of the freshmen.....

And the open scholly needs to be filled by an experienced hand too....could make the difference between us making the Dance or not.....

Ramulous, lots of jobs available in DC...but who in their right mind would want one of them? What a shit show.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Ill Take Dan as secretary of state. Rebuild.

I don't call DH a liar or traitor. IDK if criticism for not playing Berry rises to that level.

The Connecticut stuff? Whatever. Its a top job IMHO. And he now has elbowed his way to the top of the heap of coaches not at destination positions. Thats all.
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Ill Take Dan as secretary of state. Rebuild.

I don't call DH a liar or traitor. IDK if criticism for not playing Berry rises to that level.

The Connecticut stuff? Whatever. Its a top job IMHO. And he now has elbowed his way to the top of the heap of coaches not at destination positions. Thats all.
I could name 30 jobs better than UConn, including Pitt. It USED to be a top job. For reasons repeatedly stated by many on here...it's not. Any BE job outside of DePaul is a better gig than UConn. Last years Georgetown opening was a better gig than the current state of UConn. Shit, the Rutgers opening a few years ago was a more attractive gig compared to the current state of UConn.

You could argue that Georgia is a more attractive opening than UConn, although I seriously doubt Rhody gets spurned for Athens again.
collegehoopsjunky

Unread post by collegehoopsjunky »

mstyles22 wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:Ill Take Dan as secretary of state. Rebuild.

I could name 30 jobs better than UConn, including Pitt. It USED to be a top job. For reasons repeatedly stated by many on here...it's not. Any BE job outside of DePaul is a better gig than UConn. Last years Georgetown opening was a better gig than the current state of UConn. Shit, the Rutgers opening a few years ago was a more attractive gig compared to the current state of UConn.

You could argue that Georgia is a more attractive opening than UConn, although I seriously doubt Rhody gets spurned for Athens again.
I don't think you understand what is happening. None of it is good in my opinion. I think Jans or Musselman should be the UConn target. Isaac Chew is the best prospect. If I were URI I would quickly look to Isaac Chew if Hurley left. It may be an upgrade. Seriously. I forgot his assistants name but he is an ace recruiter sitting next to him at Texas A & M. I read about Chew somewhere on another message board and then researched him.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Isaac Chew? GOH...

We would lose every recruit. DH likely will stay (fingers crossed) but if he doesn’t, Cox is our guy.
steviep123
Sly Williams

I hope it doesn't come to this, but should it, my short list would include (in no particular order): Cox, Preston Murphy, Luke Murray, Bashir Mason, Nate Oats. What I'm most confident in, would be Thorr's ability to make the right hire. He hit a home run with DH six years ago, and I trust that he and Dooley will make the right choice again if it came to it. Here's hoping we don't have to find out for at least a number of years!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

Looks like Tubby Smith isn't expected to last the day at Memphis:

Penny Hardaway is a leading candidate to take over.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Fatts and Tubby--not even close--Fatts is my man......
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Coaches mentioned for high profile jobs - Thad Matta, Tom Crean, Jeff Capel and Kelvin Sampson.
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I can see all those guys getting decent jobs
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

bigappleram wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:
bigappleram wrote:
A weak schedule? Wasn’t our OOC SOS Top 5 in the country. Don’t let facts get in the way. Convenient you realize you posted too much just as we started winning. Would love to know how many posts you have made since the Fordham game last year to now. You are a wolf in sheep’s clothing and you aren’t even good at that. Let’s bring back your posts about Xavier Mumford. You have been wrong since Day 1. Carry on troll.
Non conference SOS (kenpom) is #67. Tell me what you think the five best wins are. I posted after last season very positively about DH. You can look it up since you are so obsessed. My opinion on him has changed. It's OK to change in life as you take in experience. I thought he was going to bounce from URI as soon as he could. I was wrong. I thought losing Preston and Bobby would hurt his recruiting. It did for a few years until this class but this is a good one. I still hate his sets in big spots and, probably, what will cost URI a deep run. But the fact that there is a run to be discussed is a testament to him. I just got tired of typing the same stuff over and over replying to weirdos like you.
Our 5 best wins- Seton Hall, PC, Bonnies, Charleston and Davidson. All 5 are tourney teams fwiw. You love quoting Ken Pom when it suits your fancy, we had one of the best OOC schedules in the country which is why we were able to endure a season in a really Down league year yet maintain equity in the polls, lose games and stay ranked, and earn the highest seed in program history. Not a magical season? A 365 day conference winning streak, wire to wire regular season champs, taking down another ranked Big East opponent, ending a 7 year losing streak to PC, highest attendance in history of Ryan Center. But you’re right just another season.

You are a shameless troll, whose every theory about the game, the players and the coach has been proven wrong. You had a great epiphany that you posted too much, conveniently when all our metrics started to uptick. There isn’t a fan in sports, of any team, that would exhibit the behaviors you do. You aren’t even good at being a troll. Buh bye
Correct. Not a magical season. Not one of those five teams has any chance of the final four and and even a S16 run would be a surprise. 0-2 against top 25 kenpom. 2-2 against 25-50 and 2-2 against 50-100. Lost to the best teams and were middle of the road against the next 8. And then, literally, played 22 teams outside the top 100. Would a few wins here change how this season went? Absolutely. Magical right now? That actually makes me laugh. College of Charleston? Lol.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Conveniently have some more free time right now?
Go back to the PC board.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

mstyles22
Kenny Green

adam914 wrote:

YES! Upward and Onward!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's great news. Let's see after the season's over. I hope he still feels the same way......
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Gonebarongone wrote:
bigappleram wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote: Non conference SOS (kenpom) is #67. Tell me what you think the five best wins are. I posted after last season very positively about DH. You can look it up since you are so obsessed. My opinion on him has changed. It's OK to change in life as you take in experience. I thought he was going to bounce from URI as soon as he could. I was wrong. I thought losing Preston and Bobby would hurt his recruiting. It did for a few years until this class but this is a good one. I still hate his sets in big spots and, probably, what will cost URI a deep run. But the fact that there is a run to be discussed is a testament to him. I just got tired of typing the same stuff over and over replying to weirdos like you.

Correct. Not a magical season. Not one of those five teams has any chance of the final four and and even a S16 run would be a surprise. 0-2 against top 25 kenpom. 2-2 against 25-50 and 2-2 against 50-100. Lost to the best teams and were middle of the road against the next 8. And then, literally, played 22 teams outside the top 100. Would a few wins here change how this season went? Absolutely. Magical right now? That actually makes me laugh. College of Charleston? Lol.
Jesus. You sound like a delight. You remind me of my one co-worker who is a big college hoops fan (San Diego State). I received approximately 5 texts from him all season, all after losses. NOTHING during our 16-game win streak, then we lose to Bonnies and he's like, "Looks like your boys finally played a good team and ran out of gas."

How dare Rhody fans get excited about this season?! Guys, GoneBaronGone says relax. We're almost guaranteed to lose at some point in the next week or two, so don't watch the games or get your hopes up about anything. Just sit there and crunch the KenPom numbers about how bad we are.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

He’s not a Rhody fan. My guess is a PC fan in disguise or a prime psych ward candidate.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rambone 78 wrote:That's great news. Let's see after the season's over. I hope he still feels the same way......
I’m sure Thor is already considering enhancements to keep Hurley happy.
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hey we're a very good team when we play our best. We don't always play our best. We can be frustrating at times losing late leads for various reasons.

But we're here. We have a chance to make this a magical season. Can we? A matter of opinion, like always.

I just want to see us play well and let the chips fall where they may. If we have a late lead tomorrow, finish. That's all I ask.

Dan and the guys know what they have to do, and are quite aware of what they need to improve on.

Rhody74, I'm sure he is....but it's up to Dooley to give the go ahead. It's all about the money.

I expect more charters....more money for the assistants...and an announcement on a practice facility soon.

Dan? Yup, another contract extension, with a little more money.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Yea I hope they all play their best. Put your best foot forward.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Jeez peeps calm down.

Dan Hurley is making URI money, lotsa money.

The University of Rhode Island has proven it need no longer bow to Smith Hill or beg to make basketball decisions. Ancient history folks. Tom Penders walked away 30 years ago! Sure it was painful, different times!

I fully expect admin will step up and give Hurley the tools he needs to keep making URI more money. He’s happy, his family is happy y’all should be happy.

Calm down, enjoy your team! No Tobacco Road jobs or elite legendary P5 jobs open. Connecticut, Georgia and Pitt aren’t. Louisville might be but it’s a mega train wreck at the moment.

Relax....
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

With some of the things I've been reading online from different "sources", you'd think Dan already has his bags packed for Storrs! With the pending investigation into the men's basketball program, potential sanctions that come with it, plus the fact that UCONN is trying to get out of paying Ollie the remainder of his contract due to the "just cause" firing, are we to believe that top level coaches will be flocking to work for that employer?? Maybe I'm being naive, but I think Dan can do much better than UCONN. Not a very desirable situation at the moment.