'14 MA SG Jared Terrell (URI Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: '14 MA SG Jared Terrell (Offer)

Unread post by bigappleram »

and i think ACC vs A10 and Boston vs Kingston are likely bigger factors. but that's just me.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

We need to nut up, go out there and recruit this player to Rhody. Of course it doesn't look good at the moment, but someone from Rhody needs to explain to Terrell that Murphy doesn't make decisions for BC, his relationship with his head coach is much more important than his relationship with the 2nd assistant to the head coach. It's up to Dan now to lay out all the reasons Terrell should come to Rhody. Including the benefits of being close to home, while not being too close to home.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

bigappleram wrote:and i think ACC vs A10 and Boston vs Kingston are likely bigger factors. but that's just me.
So, why weren't they factors in September, when we were final 2?
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Billyboy78 wrote:
RoadyJay wrote:Billyboy

Do you recall your response to this tweet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, I'm old, remind me.

"I like his attitude. That also confirms what most of us thought. Yes, he was a Preston recruit, but it was the coaching change that was the last deciding factor in his recruitment."

This sums up how many of us feel. Preston was important, but he couldn't do it without Dan. Even with Hare. Dan and Preston were a good team. That's the real thing that I think has been lost. But I also think Cox and Dan can be a good team.

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

So, why if PMurph has this svengali spell on JT didn't it work the first time?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I don't know, why didn't BC get him the first time?
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

bigappleram wrote:and i think ACC vs A10 and Boston vs Kingston are likely bigger factors. but that's just me.
That's why you're "bigappleram"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

were they even recruiting him? they werent in the final five list, and before that i was not aware of his list.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Running Ram wrote:We need to nut up, go out there and recruit this player to Rhody. Of course it doesn't look good at the moment, but someone from Rhody needs to explain to Terrell that Murphy doesn't make decisions for BC, his relationship with his head coach is much more important than his relationship with the 2nd assistant to the head coach. It's up to Dan now to lay out all the reasons Terrell should come to Rhody. Including the benefits of being close to home, while not being too close to home.
Ooooooooooooooooooooooooh, some logic right there. Wow, how about that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RoadyJay wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
RoadyJay wrote:Billyboy

Do you recall your response to this tweet?

No, I'm old, remind me.

"I like his attitude. That also confirms what most of us thought. Yes, he was a Preston recruit, but it was the coaching change that was the last deciding factor in his recruitment."

This sums up how many of us feel. Preston was important, but he couldn't do it without Dan. Even with Hare. Dan and Preston were a good team. That's the real thing that I think has been lost. But I also think Cox and Dan can be a good team.

I don't doubt that Cox and Dan can be a good team. I just think in this specific case, we'd have a much better chance at landing Terrell if Preston was still at URI and not at BC.....and my tweet also pretty much sums up what I felt about Baron at the time and my excitement about the Hurleys. I am still excited about Dan and our future. I just want to land that one huge recruit. EC was a big one. This one would be bigger.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

You guys could go around on this forever (and just might),
but the main question now is, do we actually have a legitimate
chance to land this kid?
Preston is gone. He told me Friday that he loves his alma mater, and
it was a painful decision. Class guy all the way.
Let's leave it at that, and move to who's here and who might be coming here.
Dan as our head coach, needs to personally step up. If he can't out-recruit Preston, we have a problem.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

'14 MA SG Jared Terrell (Offer)

Maybe bigger on paper, as in a higher ranked recruit, but I don't think he is or will be better than EC

Last edited by RoadyJay 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:were they even recruiting him? they werent in the final five list, and before that i was not aware of his list.
Of course they recruited him, but I don't think Jared even had a Boston team or an ACC team in his final 10.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

bressler3south wrote:
adam914 wrote:Then I'll say again, if Preston is the only reason he is going to BC, then I wish Preston would have done the same thing when he was here.
He won't be the ONLY reason!!!!!!!!!!! Drop this myopic nonsense already!!!!!!!!!!!!
If Preston Murphy has this magical power, then he should market himself with a "PMurph Doll' as a substitute for Viagara.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm certainly "up" for that.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:You guys could go around on this forever (and just might),
but the main question now is, do we actually have a legitimate
chance to land this kid?
Preston is gone. He told me Friday that he loves his alma mater, and
it was a painful decision. Class guy all the way.
Let's leave it at that, and move to who's here and who might be coming here.
Dan as our head coach, needs to personally step up. If he can't out-recruit Preston, we have a problem.
You're right, there is no more sense in arguing this. It's the uncertainty of the situation that is unsettling. Once the new coaching staff and the new roster are all set, I'll be ready to move on and be a diehard fan until they put me in the grave.
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I think if we get a final visit Dan takes him down.....just a gut feeling he signs with us if we do get one more visit. I definitely have faith in Dan and his ability to recruit. Keep the faith fellas. Terrell to URI will happen!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Gonebarongone wrote: Can we not tiptoe around this? He's going to BC because of Preston Murphy.
Man kinda pompous to assume you know exactly the one reason he is going there, isn't it?
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

I think if we land Jared, we should be in the top third of the A-10 next year. Without I'm honestly not sure.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

What restaurant is this ?.. Have Garrick pick up the tab !

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I expect us near the top third regardless. With him my expectations will be raised.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Tom98 wrote:I think if we get a final visit Dan takes him down.....just a gut feeling he signs with us if we do get one more visit. I definitely have faith in Dan and his ability to recruit. Keep the faith fellas. Terrell to URI will happen!
If he leaves Chestnut Hill without committing, we should be in his driveway when he gets home. I don't know what to believe about where Jared is in this process, but if he doesn't commit while he is on campus at BC, then to me that means he isn't totally sold. I don't think missing out on Jared would break our program, but getting him could go a long way to making it.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:I expect us near the top third regardless. With him my expectations will be raised.
Agree
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Wow! You'd have four solid players to be here for years.
Imagine, Terrell, EC, Garrett and Hassan, with a decent supporting cast?
Would be our most talented team since the 1978 Sly Williams Rams.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah, and that supporting cast would have a ton of size, which is a nice quality to have in a supporting cast.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

6'7". 6'7". 6'8".6'10". Not exactly Arizona, or even UMass or PC sized.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Missing Iffy from that line....6'7 x 2, 6'8 x 2 and 6'10. Pretty good for URI standards. Perimeter shooting would still be a hole.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

If Jared is really as good as EC then our team is made. All Dan has to do is close the deal this time. If not, Matthew Butler is the x-factor. The best 2 scorers on the team were blocking his playing time last year and the point guard play was subpar. He could really step up this year. Things can look very different with a quality point guard. I would love to get Terrell but I am looking forward to next season either way.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

'14 MA SG Jared Terrell (Offer)

rodfromcranston wrote:Wow! You'd have four solid players to be here for years.
Certainly is exciting to think about.

I think we have a shot based on Dan's relationship with the kid.

For me, it comes down to this... JT has to be willing to swallow his pride a bit and come to a less sexier program/conference.

JT maybe wanted to come here the last time, but when his friend Abu put the NC State cap on it was probably tough for JT to put on a URI cap.

Same decision now. No one will fault him or question him for putting on a BC cap. Those around him are likely pulling for BC, especially his AAU coach. BC is a sexier pick for him and his program.

We aren't a sexy pick... yet. We landed guys like EC and Hass because conference and sexiness of the pick weren't of the greatest importance. They were looking for the best possible fit.

If JT were picking based on which fan base wanted him more, then we are the clear victors! Cheers to us!

Last edited by RoadyJay 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

For informational purposes only (not for argumentative purposes), Terrell was being recruited by BC as early as December of 2011.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RoadyJay wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Wow! You'd have four solid players to be here for years.
Certainly is exciting to think about.

I think we have a shot based on Dan's relationship with the kid.

For me, it comes down to this... JT has to be willing to swallow his pride a bit and come to a less sexier program/conference.

JT maybe wanted to come here the last time, but when his friend Abu put the NC State cap on it was probably tough for JT to put on a URI cap.

Same decision now. No one will fault him or question him for putting on a BC cap. Those around him are likely pulling for BC, especially his AAU coach. BC is a sexier pick for him and his program.

We aren't a sexy pick... yet. We landed guys like EC and Hass because conference and sexiness of the pick weren't of the greatest importance. They were looking for the best possible fit.

If JT were picking based on which fan base wanted him more, then we are the clear victors! Cheers to us!

I'm pretty sure that all 12 of BC's basketball fans would like to have him.
Last edited by Billyboy78 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

TERRELL OR BUST.

It's not often you can land a top 75 player.

Bring it home dan, bring it home.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Supposedly Iffy is 6'6" according to Abu Bakr.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't think of size just in terms of height, though. Even though Iffy and Watson aren't 7'0", they are still big-bodied guys that should be able to bang down low, especially in the A10. Hare is tall, but has length even more than height, plus bouncy athleticism.

Being able to bring size off the bench is a luxury that not a lot of A10 teams have. JR played a lot of 4 for us this past season. There just aren't a ton of good 7ft, back-to-the-basket post players around.
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Ram Stampede!!! »

rodfromcranston wrote:6'7". 6'7". 6'8".6'10". Not exactly Arizona, or even UMass or PC sized.
Any chance Hass grew an inch or two?
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Preston Murphy #32
Jared Terrell #32

Carry on...
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

ElmCityRhody wrote:Preston Murphy #32
Jared Terrell #32

Carry on...
lol that only works in "go fish"
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

“@HoopDreamsmag: "There was never a visit set up for Providence College, I had no plans to visit the campus at all" -Jared Terrell"” #pcbb

Im pretty sure that this alone...makes Jared a URI fan lol
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Love Murphy, yes he's a class act, but he's now the enemy, I believe URI offered as much as they could have, certainly what would have put him in the highest paid assistants club in the A10. I don't hold his decision against him in the least, I get taking care of your family, but he choose to leave our family and now immediately he is recruiting against us for our biggest target and possibly one of our best chances to put together a legit run in the NCAA's starting this coming season and lasting likely 3-4 years of straight appearances. Sorry PM, right now you are public enemy number one.

Jared Terrell, ask yourself what Murphy really believes, everything he tried to sell you on about Rhody, a program he knows inside and out or everything he is trying to sell you on about BC a program that has yet to take its new form. If Preston is honest, then he still believes you and Rhody are a great match. Dan get out there a bring this young man into the fold.

On a separate note I'm going to have some fun right now, just pondering possibilities...what if Jim C had an idea JT was looking to get out of his LOI from OSU and hired the shit out of Murphy to likely land Terrell? Is it even possible in terms of timeline? And that's not even my wackiest theory on the matter.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

If we can ever get this kid and Hare comes back bigger, determined and even a little meaner, we could really have something.
ram12
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ram12 »

I think it's really going to come down to where Jared sees each program. BC has the "sexier" conference but, although while not in a complete rebuild they definitely have some real work to do over the next 3-4 years to have a legit shot in their conference to make an NCAA tournament appearance bid. URI has great facilities now, which I hope he comes back to see. A-10 is the most under rated conference in the country with some very tough competition and with him believe we instantly have a shot of a tournament appearance. In any case, he's not going to PC and that makes me happy. Hope it turns in our favor.
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

I don't think Jim Christian is a big time conference coach, I think he was a pretty bad hire for BC. He was a very good small conference coach, but faltered at TCU. What makes anyone think he is going to take BC to the top half of the ACC. I hope JT takes his past medoricracy in the Big 12 into consideration. If he comes to URI, with the team we have in place, NCAA bids will come a plenty. There is a pretty good chance he may never see the NCAA's at BC after taking a beating in league play every year. I hope he considers that.

Go Rhody!!!
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

ram12 wrote:I think it's really going to come down to where Jared sees each program. BC has the "sexier" conference but, although while not in a complete rebuild they definitely have some real work to do over the next 3-4 years to have a legit shot in their conference to make an NCAA tournament appearance bid. URI has great facilities now, which I hope he comes back to see. A-10 is the most under rated conference in the country with some very tough competition and with him believe we instantly have a shot of a tournament appearance. In any case, he's not going to PC and that makes me happy. Hope it turns in our favor.

Sorry Ram12, I had the same thought at the same time.... Funny stuff... Didn't see your post until I submitted mine.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

That would be one of my key selling points, for sure. If you want to play in the tourney, which every kid does, your best chance is here.

Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Looks like PC is officially out, but the BC visit was very good. Fingers and toes crossed.
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

What happened to committing to a school because you like the school and what it has to offer? I just feel like JT is looking at a school based upon one of it's assistant coaches.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

RoadyJay wrote:That would be one of my key selling points, for sure. If you want to play in the tourney, which every kid does, your best chance is here.

I agree. It's funny. When was the last time we've been able to tell a kid URI is their best chance for the tournament?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

If he wanted to go to an NCAA, PC would have clearly been the choice.
There are some other factors at play here.
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

RhodyJay, I agree with you on your EC JT comparison.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Even though they play the same position, EC and JT are
very different type of players.
EC is smoother, and has a better shot.
Terrell is bullish, and loves contact with his drives to the hoop.
JT has an NBA body already.
Having both plus Garrett on the floor at the same time would be
similar to when Mobley, Wheeler and Murphy would be on the floor together,
and drive opponents crazy.
When they'd stretch the defenses, they'd dump it down low to ARD and Luther.
These guys could have a ball doing the same with Hassan, Gil, Hare, Watson or whoever
is wandering around the hoop.
HARD TO GUARD! It works.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Even though they play the same position, EC and JT are
very different type of players.
EC is smoother, and has a better shot.
Terrell is bullish, and loves contact with his drives to the hoop.
JT has an NBA body already.
Having both plus Garrett on the floor at the same time would be
similar to when Mobley, Wheeler and Murphy would be on the floor together,
and drive opponents crazy.
When they'd stretch the defenses, they'd dump it down low to ARD and Luther.
These guys could have a ball doing the same with Hassan, Gil, Hare, Watson or whoever
is wandering around the hoop.
HARD TO GUARD! It works.
Rod, you're making me drool. I'm still hopeful Dan can pull a rabbit out of a hat.
Slava Ukraini!