Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Re: Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago If I see one more guy wearing a mask driving alone lol
I questioned this myself, but was told certain delivery persons are mandated to do so...such as Meals on Wheels, CVS pharmacy deliveries, blood vials, etc.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyrudder wrote: 3 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago 456 new cases in RI today. Numbers steadily increasing.
My feed from RIDOH shows 375 today...

Nm, i can answer my own question.
There were also cases reported from prior days.

When reporting these "new cases" for single days it is also important to note the number of tests that results were shown for.

It's more about the percent positive from the testing - which continues to go down.

So were there 375 new cases with 10,000 test results or was it for 20,000 test results?

Rhode Island is in 1st place in testing per million residents.

Rhode Island is now at 2,781,579 tests per million population. RI population is 1,059,361 so were are not far from an average of 3 tests per resident.

Next closest is Massachusetts with 2,306,082 per million, Alaska with 2,284,265 per million

The number of test results are not even by days - so the positive test results will not be evenly distributed either.

So when a day has 375 and people go Holy $%#^ what a disaster, there were likely 20,000 tests given. Another day might have 150 positive results but only 8,000 test results. Need to go by percent positive - as the state shows in the daily bar graphs.

FFCBDE61-FFB6-449B-BD20-4EAD2095CA2F.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Today Friday 399 new positive cases

Tests prior day = 18,882 tests

Percent positives prior day = 2.1% which is the average for this week. Compares to a 2.2% average for last week.

For the year to date by week - percent positives cases:

Jan 2 - 7.4%
Jan 9 - 6.6%
Jan 16 - 5%
Jan 23 - 4%
Jan 30 - 3.3%
Feb 6 - 2.7%
Feb 13 - 2.2%
Feb 20 - 2.1%

Percent new cases steadily reduced from 7.4% in early January to 2.1% now.

Number of tests per day has increased as Rhode Island continues to lead all states in this category

DC4D0597-390B-40F7-9E5D-8FA388BDCB7E.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What’s more accurate the World o meter or Johns Hopkins as far as deaths and cases ??
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

They are both accurate
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago They are both accurate
World O Meter has 437 cases for RI today. So, one of them is wrong.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

These are positive cases. Most are probably school kids being tested for sports with no symptoms. It's not like thousands are dying every day.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think Johns Hopkins USA deaths are over 10 k lower than World o meter
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

There are many different data collection sites:
NY Times
Johns Hopkins
Worldometer
RIDOH and all State Health Organizations
CDC
CNN
covidtracking.com
Mayo Clinic
usafacts.org
kff.org

important is to track the performance within the pool - some may be earlier or later by a day, some may define categories slightly different (in RI there are cases 1st time then there are also cases whereby the same person has multiple positive cases.

Bottom line is cases are dropping worldwide and quickly in the US

Johnson and Johnson is getting approved in the US this weekend - more vaccines coming
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhody 3rd in cases per 1M pop behind both Dakotas
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It's strange that RI has been so high in positive cases relative to the population. Providence has been especially bad.

Everyone I've seen when I've come to RI is wearing a mask, for months now.

CT positive rate is down to just over 2%.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago It's strange that RI has been so high in positive cases relative to the population. Providence has been especially bad.

RI Positive Rate is 2.1%
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Testing is way up, that is a reason for the higher numbers.

The issue now is that in some major cities, the infections are starting to rise again, due to the fact that the more people who are infected in those areas, that increases the chances that new variants will emerge there that are more infectious.

This happened in LA, and is starting to happen in NYC.

Vaccinations have to continue to increase as soon as possible, the more people who are protected, the less chance that the variants will spread.

I think things will be way better by late spring/early summer.

We might need another booster shot next winter, and get them once a year in the future, just like the flu shot.

By the way, the flu hardly exists anymore...that will happen with covid, but it's going to take a while to get there.

Also, a recent study has said that if you got the flu shot, that reduces your chance of getting severe covid.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The biggest factor about all this to me is, the vaccines are supposed to keep people out of the hospital and out of the morgue, especially the older and more vulnerable among us. Early data is indicating just that.

If I end up getting infected but only have a mild case or no symptoms at all, I can deal with that.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 3 years ago There are many different data collection sites:
NY Times
Johns Hopkins
Worldometer
RIDOH and all State Health Organizations
CDC
CNN
covidtracking.com
Mayo Clinic
usafacts.org
kff.org

important is to track the performance within the pool - some may be earlier or later by a day, some may define categories slightly different (in RI there are cases 1st time then there are also cases whereby the same person has multiple positive cases.

Bottom line is cases are dropping worldwide and quickly in the US

Johnson and Johnson is getting approved in the US this weekend - more vaccines coming
Moderna is also already testing a booster to try and combat the SO. African variant.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Testing is way up, that is a reason for the higher numbers.

The issue now is that in some major cities, the infections are starting to rise again, due to the fact that the more people who are infected in those areas, that increases the chances that new variants will emerge there that are more infectious.

This happened in LA, and is starting to happen in NYC.

Vaccinations have to continue to increase as soon as possible, the more people who are protected, the less chance that the variants will spread.

I think things will be way better by late spring/early summer.

We might need another booster shot next winter, and get them once a year in the future, just like the flu shot.

By the way, the flu hardly exists anymore...that will happen with covid, but it's going to take a while to get there.

Also, a recent study has said that if you got the flu shot, that reduces your chance of getting severe covid.
Masks have greatly reduced flu cases and even cases of the common cold.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So today the PROJO and RIDOH report 467 cases. So now people here will get upset

BUT

There were 24,177 negative tests so the positive rate was only 1.9%

1.9% is good news - not bad news. Trend continues lower and lower and lower

RI reports 9 COVID deaths, 467 additional cases
Journal Staff
The Rhode Island Department of Health on Thursday reported nine coronavirus-related deaths and 467 additional cases of COVID-19.
Of the 467 additional cases, 387 were people who tested positive for the first time on Wednesday, and 80 were people who tested positive for the first time on previous days.
That brings the total toll in the state to 2,496 deaths and 125,185 known cases.
There were 163 COVID-positive patients in Rhode Island hospitals at last count, on Tuesday, down from 168 reported yesterday. Thirty-four were in intensive care; 17 were on ventilators.
In addition to the 467 additional cases, the Health Department reported 24,177 negative tests, for a 1.9% positive rate. If only those testing negative for the first time are counted, the positive rate was 20.5%.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm waiting for bar areas to reopen in RI.

However even after they do, I won't go during busy hours of the day.

At my age, I'm an afternoon drinker. By 9-10 o'clock, it's nighty nite most of the time.

When I was in my 20's and 30's, my night started at those hours.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago So today the PROJO and RIDOH report 467 cases. So now people here will get upset

BUT

There were 24,177 negative tests so the positive rate was only 1.9%

1.9% is good news - not bad news. Trend continues lower and lower and lower

RI reports 9 COVID deaths, 467 additional cases
Journal Staff
The Rhode Island Department of Health on Thursday reported nine coronavirus-related deaths and 467 additional cases of COVID-19.
Of the 467 additional cases, 387 were people who tested positive for the first time on Wednesday, and 80 were people who tested positive for the first time on previous days.
That brings the total toll in the state to 2,496 deaths and 125,185 known cases.
There were 163 COVID-positive patients in Rhode Island hospitals at last count, on Tuesday, down from 168 reported yesterday. Thirty-four were in intensive care; 17 were on ventilators.
In addition to the 467 additional cases, the Health Department reported 24,177 negative tests, for a 1.9% positive rate. If only those testing negative for the first time are counted, the positive rate was 20.5%.
Actually that is odd, because positive cases on the RIDOH the past 3 days are 433, 420 and 399 respectively (https://ri-department-of-health-covid-1 ... rcgis.com/) Wonder where the Projo is getting their numbers from.

That said, the cumulative positive test can be overhyped either too positive or too negative depending on how many surveillance tests are done that particular day. Because the percent positive of those getting a test just for travel or job is pretty microscopic right now, in my opinion the number to watch is the proportion of positive tests vs first-timers tested. Based on the RIDOH data, the very recent trend is:

433 positive tests / 2505 1st time tests = 17.3 %
420 positive tests / 2423 1st time tests = 17.3 %
399 positive tests / 2121 1st time tests = 18.8 %

Doesn't tell us a whole lot I don't think, but interesting to track over time. Even if the percentage stagnates in the near term, that is a good sign based on the general easing of restrictions and warmer weather combined with more people getting fatigue with staying home.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I think bars opened already.
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ruckus
It was said that new cases are getting worse these last days.

I just don’t see it in the RIDOH data or any data.

Can you determine that things are getting worse in RI?

What am I missing?

RIDOH numbers currently show the lowest numbers of 2021 for:
  • Percent new cases from testing
  • New Hospitalizations
  • Total Cases per 100,000
A851964E-C1CB-4272-AD2F-369A1D5DF1C5.jpeg
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Of the 437 additional cases, 399 were people who tested positive for the first time on Thursday, and 38 were people who tested positive for the first time on previous days.
That brings the total toll in the state to 2,502 deaths and 125,622 known cases.
There were 168 COVID-positive patients in Rhode Island hospitals at last count, on Wednesday, up from 163 reported yesterday. Thirty-four were in intensive care; 19 were on ventilators.
In addition to the 437 additional cases, the Health Department reported 21,425 negative tests, for a 2.0% positive rate. If only those testing negative for the first time are counted, the positive rate was 21.1%.

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago It's strange that RI has been so high in positive cases relative to the population. Providence has been especially bad.

Hmmm.....maybe it's not about the masks? Shh..... That's gonna upset some apple carts....
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago I think bars opened already.
I hope so...sat in one last night. They did require two open seats between parties, but at least it's a start.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 3 years ago 958D6B71-8F1B-4B92-8401-9A4B2205D91F.jpeg
Go easy, or you'll be labeled a white supremacist.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Since when has KB been a meme page?
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago The biggest factor about all this to me is, the vaccines are supposed to keep people out of the hospital and out of the morgue, especially the older and more vulnerable among us. Early data is indicating just that.

If I end up getting infected but only have a mild case or no symptoms at all, I can deal with that.
This is my feeling as well - as soon as the 65 plus crowd, and younger with conditions get vaccinated we can go back to life and not care about infections anymore. Infections were never the problem, it was WHO was getting infected that caused the hospitalizations and deaths. We shut down the world to keep older and sicker folks safe, YET these are overwhelmingly the people who I see breaking protocol to go about their business. I personally have not been inside a restaurant in a year, my elderly parents never stopped and neither did most of their friends.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Its a shame people can't go more than a few hours without throwing little childish political temper tantrums anymore. This place used to be fun.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

More progress

“The decline in patients hospitalized with COVID-19 was really rapid,” Suner said. “The numbers started to plummet — both the numbers statewide of positivity rates and the number of hospitalizations. Therefore, we didn't have enough appropriate patients to pull into the field hospital from our [main] hospitals and we started discharging at a high rate. We came to zero a couple of days earlier than we anticipated.”

Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago Since when has KB been a meme page?
What a pathetic and embarrassing display that was.
Go Rhody
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Ramster that is pretty pathetic with the memes. Want me to post memes of the idiots who were mask deniers and are now dead, Herman Cain for one.

The funny thing is I'm not even arguing with you on the overall point, the numbers are staying fairly steady and I think it's a good thing based on the looser behavior.

The reason it is not inconclusively getting better based on the numbers you circled in the chart above...these numbers are produced every Tuesday for the prior week's numbers, and the prior weeks numbers are from 2 weeks ago. So this week's "weekly" numbers are posted Tuesday from last week's data and include the President's Day holiday, so it is not apples to apples one week to the next. Especially the total new cases per 100,000 since I would expect that to be lower with the total tests down due to the holidays.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

meme.JPG
RF1
Ernie Calverley

SBU President dies from Covid

Unread post by RF1 »

The 62 year old President of St Bonaventure died today as the result of complications from Covid-19.

St. Bonaventure President Dr. Dennis R. DePerro passes away after battle with COVID-19 - Mar 01, 2021
https://www.sbu.edu/news/news-items/202 ... h-covid-19
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah saw that on the broadcast terrible news
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

This has to stop or the entire NCAA tournament is gonna fold in the first round. Just test every day.
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....just heard on Yorke’s show, news that URI campus positive rates are up, and community is being asked to recommit to protocols.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

People are letting their guard down too early.

Us older folks are going to be OK, because most of us will have been vaccinated already.

But the issue is, if cases spike again it could cause more variants to emerge that could compromise the vaccines for everyone.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Preston Santos.jpg

U Mass Player Preston Santos puts it all out on IG, about his leave for mental health issues. Very insightful guy who is addressing it head on.

Whether anyone wants to admit this or not, COVID and the lockdowns do have an impact on these kids.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......saw in NY Daily News, a 16 team NIT will be played in Texas......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ......saw in NY Daily News, a 16 team NIT will be played in Texas......
Good deal, glad to hear it.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Rhody mens soccer in a pause til the 17th.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Kansas dropped out of the Big 12 tournament with a positive case. This is the most annoying thing ever.
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Younger people who haven't been vaccinated are still going to get the virus and cause these things to continue to happen.

Just got my 2nd shot, and I'm ready to start going out to eat again in a couple of weeks. And have a couple of beers of course lol.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Are we going through another spike in cases now ??
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Are we going through another spike in cases now ??
No.
New York Times Data for US - New Cases per Day Graph
CBF7B8A1-5691-423E-AA8B-EF2CC29A67D6.png
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 3 years ago Are we going through another spike in cases now ??
No.
New York Times Data for US - New Cases per Day Graph

CBF7B8A1-5691-423E-AA8B-EF2CC29A67D6.png
Anything big happen in January that would’ve changed how they report?

Nothing to see here..
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I had my first shot today , wasn’t expecting it but I went for regular doctors appointment on Wednesday and they asked if I wanted the vaccine so I figured might as well get it