The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ms1111
Frenchy Tomlin

Re: The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by ms1111 »

Jcru the uconn board is missing you. Go back.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm a counter puncher, you know, like Trump.

If you attack, you will get a response.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Easy choice here and it's David Cox

If it's someone else we are in a world of hurt
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Made local news. Thorr is listening.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Trust me on this one, DC. If Cox gets the job, you don't want that to be the story.

You want the story to be Cox got it because the school is confident he was the best choice out there.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

jcru wrote:Trust me on this one, DC. If Cox gets the job, you don't want that to be the story.

You want the story to be Cox got it because the school is confident he was the best choice out there.

I’ll agree.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Yeah, like I said, people like my brother out on the "outer rim" so to speak, don't know that is the story, even if it is.

Keep it that way.
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

If Thorr Bjorn screws this up and hires anyone other than David Cox as his next mens basketball Head Coach he better update his resume because the next 3 to 5 years are going to be exactly like the 3 to 5 years just before he hired Hurley. And the blame will be all Bjorn's to own.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Hurley Show wrote:I just paid for my season tix because I wanted to watch Cox coach.

Does that mean you're going to bo by "Cox Show" now? ;) :lol: :D
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reckless jake wrote:If Thorr Bjorn screws this up and hires anyone other than David Cox as his next mens basketball Head Coach he better update his resume because the next 3 to 5 years are going to be exactly like the 3 to 5 years just before he hired Hurley. And the blame will be all Bjorn's to own.

Just my opinion, but...silly comment
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

jcru wrote:You don't like me BB87, I get it. But, I represent people out there who don't post on these boards. People who live in the area, who are not close the program, but follow the program, and form their own conclusions based on what they see and hear.

You know, the kind of people the university is trying to attract to these events = the kind of people you can't stand
Have got no problem with those type of people. Do have a problem with people like you who come to post on the board only when there is some type of drama happening and being a negative poster about it. Last time you were really active on this board was during the so-called Hurley collapse and you happily joined in on the "Hurley has the the worst loss in school history" wagon. It's like you only come out of the woodwork when something bad is happening. No one needs that. And every so often, I'm going to remind folks that you troll. That you feed off of negativity.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I disagree 87...I think when there is drama happening, we need "more" posters...more voices, more views...otherwise this would get boring af....
BleedBlue87
ARD

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I disagree 87...I think when there is drama happening, we need "more" posters...more voices, more views...otherwise this would get boring af....
I guess... I just think uninformed, misguided posts are not useful. That's just me though.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

Evidently we have many, many experts posting in this thread.....my eyes hurt......
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I disagree 87...I think when there is drama happening, we need "more" posters...more voices, more views...otherwise this would get boring af....
Yeah cool man, more "drama", more fair-weather fans, more trolls. Because actual basketball/sports/URI talk from people who know what they're talking about and care about the school is fucking Snoozeville.
Last edited by Puck Frovidence 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

Taylor Swift wrote:
Hurley Show wrote:I just paid for my season tix because I wanted to watch Cox coach.

Does that mean you're going to bo by "Cox Show" now? ;) :lol: :D[/quote

I was orinally Part of the Process, a Baron reference. I asked to change to Hurley Show. And now I requested another change. My request was for a neutral name so I don’t have to change again. “ I like Cox” would be interesting.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Puck Frovidence wrote:
Yeah cool man, more "drama", more fair-weather fans, more trolls. Because actual basketball/sports/URI talk from people who know what they're talking about and actually care about the school is fucking Snoozeville.
I think it's "cool" that there's both...with just one or the other, yeah, it would be "effing snoozeville."
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don't have a problem with the types of fans that only show up every few years. I find these kind of fans to be less informed and less in the details and having less of the pulse of what's going on than the die hards that are here every day. And that's totally fine. It's great, even - we need non-die hard fans. My issue, though, is when this kind of fan starts lecturing the people who know more than they do instead of trying to learn and asking questions. I have this problem everywhere - when a new hire shows up on the job and starts trying to change systems or procedures that have been in place, or when an election year rolls around and your dipshit neighbor or uncle or coworker all of a sudden has all these strong policy positions even though they haven't read a newspaper since 1994 because they watched some Tammy Lauren videos on Facebook or something. People should be more OK with not knowing what they are talking about. There's no reason why a functioning adult should be littering a message board with bad take after dumb take - on any topic. Again, I appreciate people coming out of the woodwork to be fans and support the team. The program needs that. I'm not sure it really needs irrationally angry people preemptively questioning the decision making process of the highly competent people who have put this program on such strong footing - entirely on the basis of their own neuroses about things that happened under very different people in very different times.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Puck Frovidence wrote:
Yeah cool man, more "drama", more fair-weather fans, more trolls. Because actual basketball/sports/URI talk from people who know what they're talking about and actually care about the school is fucking Snoozeville.
I think it's "cool" that there's both...with just one or the other, yeah, it would be "effing snoozeville."
I mean yeah NYG its all fun and games until life intervenes for awhile and you come back here looking for decent info/convos... and have to wade through 20+ pages of sludge for nuggets of content. It's not super fun.
Last edited by Puck Frovidence 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

NJRhodyFan wrote:If Cox isn't offered the head coaching position, you can take all the growth and momentum this program has built up the last 6 years and throw it out the window. It's not just about keeping the current roster intact and ensuring most (if not all) of the incoming recruits honor their commitments, although that alone should be enough to tip the scale in Cox's favor, and anybody saying differently should have their head examined. More importantly, it's about continuity. Aside from player development and the ability to succeed on the court, one of the most important attributes a head coach should possess is the ability to build and cultivate a strong supporting cast. I think we can all agree that Hurley did just that. We're in a unique position where we now have an assistant coach who's been groomed to take over the head coaching responsibilities, so why not take advantage of that opportunity? Continuity. He knows the players, the program, the conference, and seems to possess all the qualities that make for a successful head coach. I'm 100% on board with hiring Cox. Do that, and this program doesn't skip a beat in my opinion. It's very possible that Cox ends up being a better head coach than Hurley in the long run. We'll never know unless we give him that chance.
No, hiring someone else other than Cox is not going to throw away everything that was built the last 6 years. I think some people forget what I dumpster fire this program was when Hurley got here. I'm 100% on board with Cox and I'll be very disappointed if he's not the head coach but I think some people are being a bit extreme with what's going to happen if Cox isn't hired.

Also for those of you who know how these things work, is URI required to publicly post the job opening and interview a number of candidates because we're a state school? I'm with those who want to see some continuity and it was pretty impressive to see Xavier lose Mack and then only 4 days later announce Steele as their head coach.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

What kind of players can a guy like Shrewsberry bring in to play right away this year? Unless he can get some top JC or 5th year guys, we might be looking at at 4-26 type season. Can our program afford to take such a drastic step backwards after all of the progress that has been made in the past 4 years or so?
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

TruePoint wrote:I don't have a problem with the types of fans that only show up every few years. I find these kind of fans to be less informed and less in the details and having less of the pulse of what's going on than the die hards that are here every day. And that's totally fine. It's great, even - we need non-die hard fans. My issue, though, is when this kind of fan starts lecturing the people who know more than they do instead of trying to learn and asking questions. I have this problem everywhere - when a new hire shows up on the job and starts trying to change systems or procedures that have been in place, or when an election year rolls around and your dipshit neighbor or uncle or coworker all of a sudden has all these strong policy positions even though they haven't read a newspaper since 1994 because they watched some Tammy Lauren videos on Facebook or something. People should be more OK with not knowing what they are talking about. There's no reason why a functioning adult should be littering a message board with bad take after dumb take - on any topic. Again, I appreciate people coming out of the woodwork to be fans and support the team. The program needs that. I'm not sure it really needs irrationally angry people preemptively questioning the decision making process of the highly competent people who have put this program on such strong footing - entirely on the basis of their own neuroses about things that happened under very different people in very different times.
This is amazing on so many levels. Take yourself a little less seriously. It's good for the soul.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

jcru wrote:Do you think Cox put them all up to it or was it spontaneous? Sounds like someone gave them the green light.
You don’t really think that do you? David Cox is a finalist for the job and near the end of the process he tells the signed recruits to tweet that they will only play for him. I am sure that wouldn’t bother Thorr and impact his decision.

It was started because Jermaine Harris because he “heard different names”. I am sure it was a reaction to the NBC tweet that finalist are being interviewed this week and other tweets about Dooley and Shrewberry. All four recruits know each other and are supporting Jermaine and their coach. I believe they took it on themselves to express their commitment and wishes. Any recruit would do that.

For you to infer that Coach Cox would contact each of the recruits and ask them to publicly come out and threaten to leave is overboard on your part. You don’t know Coach Cox.
“We will be good when we are good.”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It isn't taking myself too seriously to want the space here to be used by people who know what they're talking about. Not even really sure what that has to do with me at all.
Mark Macon
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Mark Macon »

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The vote on this Board is 104 out of 124 for David Cox to be the next Head Coach. Those who oppose can be loud with many many post on this thread. It doesn’t change that 84% are in favor of Coach Cox.
BleedBlue87
ARD

Until I hear this from somewhere other than GoLocal, I doubt it is true.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

lol

This is not a credible report. Hell, for all I know it's legit, but there is no byline on the story and no source cited so I'm going to go with "click bait."
Mark Macon
Abdul Fox

Go Local may suck, but they had the UConn story right from the get-go.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

To be fair, a lot of people had it. They went with the rumors that were floating around message boards like this one and the UConn board and others. It turned out that those rumors were at least directionally correct that time. In this case, again, maybe they do have a source. But it is a very implausible story and there is nothing in their reporting that gives me any indication that they didn't just completely fabricate it.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Mark Macon wrote:Go Local may suck, but they had the UConn story right from the get-go.
1. They did.
2. Ugh...
Mark Macon
Abdul Fox

Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe Bill Reynolds gave it to Cordischi.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Dooley doing his best Dr wrong way Carothers impersonation.

GO RHODY!
Mark Macon
Abdul Fox

And unlike others (media) AT THAT POINT IN TIME, Go Local said it was a done deal at UConn, while others said it was likely.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Serious question...What makes it very implausible?
Based on a previous poster interaction with Dooley, shared here, the Dooley half of the story seems quite plausible.
What is it that makes the Thorr part implausible?
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I’m calling bs on the go local report. They also claim to have been the first to report Hurley to UCon. (They weren’t).
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Seems like a TMZ article to me.
Mark Macon
Abdul Fox

I think they are a joke like most of you, but they nailed UConn (and they were first). That's all I'm saying.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Serious question...What makes it very implausible?
Based on a previous poster interaction with Dooley, shared here, the Dooley half of the story seems quite plausible.
What is it that makes the Thorr part implausible?
Just does not feel like a Thorr move. I would not expect Thorr to be any more interested in the idea of sullying the program than Dooley would be into sullying the school.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Mark Macon wrote:I think they are a joke like most of you, but they nailed UConn (and they were first). That's all I'm saying.
Perhaps you are right but I remember seeing it in several spaces long before go local.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I distinctly remember something about ham, and it being glazed and baked.
Mark Macon
Abdul Fox

Would certainly have been "the shot heard 'round college basketball"
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Mark Macon wrote:I think they are a joke like most of you, but they nailed UConn (and they were first). That's all I'm saying.
What was the date of the golocal story? Because I had heard a story pretty close to what ended up happening weeks before the season was over. That was out there for people. Some posters on this board had it a few weeks before it actually happened. All golocal would have had to have done is gone with those rumors, which no respectable news outlet would do, and you could say that "had it first." The same thing in this case, they don't attribute any information to any specific source, which allows them go with anonymous message board type sources or even no source.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Dre3000 wrote:
jcru wrote:How do you recruit players with the head coach leaving in mind??

I thought the whole point of giving head coaches lengthy contracts was to make the recruits confident that the hc would still be there?
Is this serious? "Hey but every year we see Hurley's name mentioned with jobs, we know he's going to leave at some point where does that leave my son?"

"Well actually if I'm not hired as the next coach here contractually they have to pay me. There's a great chance I'm your son's next coach"

Seems like an easy conversation.
Dre for the win - Cox has been recruiting these guys to Rhody with every opposing coach shouting that Hurley was leaving soon and pretty much everyone knowing it. These are his guys. I also think he is probably a better coach then Hurley. My main concern with Cox is whether he has that drive to be great that Hurley had that will push the program farther. I don’t have evidence either way.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

rhodylaw wrote:I also think he is probably a better coach then Hurley.
Hey, TP. Does this phrase pass your "uninformed" and "nonsensical" test? I need a clarification here.

Cox is a better coach than Hurley. ?
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Could you imagine the incoming freshman class next year with Pitino?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Go Local - throw enough shit against the wall and use the one that sticks to justify you are credible.
They are not a credible new source and we all know that.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I could care less if the golocal story is 'first'...more interested in whether it's true or not.
But, unless Slick 'walks throguh those doors', my guess is we'll never know...
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Please do explain , Pitino fans, the following and how exactly it would work:

- Pitino would instantly bring in a great Freshman class if he were hired

- the Ryan Center would be full for each game because Pitino is coach

- Pitino can work this magic and bounce to another job without leaving a stinking compliance mess
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

ATPTourFan wrote:Please do explain , Pitino fans, the following and how exactly it would work:

- Pitino would instantly bring in a great Freshman class if he were hired

- the Ryan Center would be full for each game because Pitino is coach

- Pitino can work this magic and bounce to another job without leaving a stinking compliance mess
You are correct. You would take the good with the bad. Doesn’t matter, not happening.