Understanding the NIL

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Re: Understanding the NIL

Unread post by NHRamFan »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 weeks ago spent my money on myself today and it was FAN-tastic !

red’s is great - highly recommend it !

you see - i am not afraid to simply walk away … no problem … if that’s where this road leads to then that’s where it leads to
Now that you've declared that walking away is simple, we can only hope you also walk away from KB. It's good that you've found something else to FAN about.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NHRamFan wrote: 3 weeks ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 weeks ago spent my money on myself today and it was FAN-tastic !

you see - i am not afraid to simply walk away … no problem … if that’s where this road leads to then that’s where it leads to
Now that you've declared that walking away is simple, we can only hope you also walk away from KB. It's good that you've found something else to FAN about.
People finally catching on to what I've been saying for a couple years....dude is beyond insufferable
Last edited by Rhody15 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 weeks ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 weeks ago

So what does your alternate universe look like?

NIL is dumb, only idiots donate, and the coaching staff should be able to identify and land talent who want to be here for the right reasons at limited cost?
The NIL is dumb, form your own conclusion on the intelligence of donors, I'm not.
In the very near future, player procurement will be funded by something very different from the $25 from the 5,000 fans (that don't exist here).

This is not PC. You already let us know that PC has 'price is no object' donors. (btw, that is not what it looks like, just sayin')
If someone else is already saying, "I/we got this, no matter the price", and NIL is everything....
a) shouldn't PC have a Final 4 contending squad this year?
b) are you contributing just to ease the load for some other rich(er) dude?
Do I think I alone am easing the load? Of course not. $300 in the scope of a multi-million dollar enterprise is nothing. Do I hope that I'm playing the part (with thousands of others) of helping to ease the burden? Sure.

NIL is only part of college basketball. You still need to identify the right guys, develop guys, they have to be interested, etc. But I would hate if my coach was losing guys he wanted solely because he couldn't compete financially.
Well...and now "sports", "college sports" at that...comes with a freeking "burden". Beautiful...
I guess here's what y'all are saying to Fannie the MegaDonor's burden..?

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I donate to football, basketball, and the business school.

But it's not much since I'm retired with a fixed income and limited investments.

Spread thin and now adding an NIL donation is really stretching it.

Since winning Powerball is unlikely lol it's the best I can do.

I'm sure I'm not alone here.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

tsk tsk tsk... i said i wasnt afraid to walk away..

i am going to wait to see how you guys donate and pay salaries to the players and see how good of a job you do being the owners of the team
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 3 weeks ago

People finally catching on to what I've been saying for a couple years....dude is beyond insufferable

maybe there is a function to block the people that repost me so that you can enjoy your day more ?

because, we all know.. well.. you blocked me... well, in theory i guess
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Studs pretty much nailed it but we’re depending on a PC fan to be the voice of reason around here.

This is pathetic. It’s getting as bad as the baron 2.0 days.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 3 weeks ago

ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

its ok R15.. its ok ... we are here for you in a supportive, non judgmental way

rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 weeks ago Studs pretty much nailed it but we’re depending on a PC fan to be the voice of reason around here.

The irony in my scolding here is that it's better for me to have you not fund NIL. So... sure, don't fund NIL. People who donate are idiots.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 weeks ago I donate to football, basketball, and the business school.

But it's not much since I'm retired with a fixed income and limited investments.

You're closer to alone than you think. At least you do SOMETHING to donate.

My vitriol isn't directed at you, or anyone who puts whatever money they feel comfortable with where their mouth is.

If you're donating to the program, you're already in an overwhelming minority. I think it's a fair take if you donate already to say "I don't feel like donating again because I'm giving what I can now" - that's reasonable and should be applauded.

My problem is this weirdly vocal and obsessive group of people who will do nothing but bitch while not writing a single check to URI or it's players, simultaneously condemning the program and it's NIL efforts, and not understanding the connection between the two.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 weeks ago Studs pretty much nailed it but we’re depending on a PC fan to be the voice of reason around here.

The irony in my scolding here is that it's better for me to have you not fund NIL. So... sure, don't fund NIL. People who donate are idiots.
Why do you give a crap what URI does?
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Blue Man wrote: 3 weeks ago
rambone 78 wrote: 3 weeks ago I donate to football, basketball, and the business school.

My vitriol isn't directed at you, or anyone who puts whatever money they feel comfortable with where their mouth is.

If you're donating to the program, you're already in an overwhelming minority. I think it's a fair take if you donate already to say "I don't feel like donating again because I'm giving what I can now" - that's reasonable and should be applauded.

My problem is this weirdly vocal and obsessive group of people who will do nothing but bitch while not writing a single check to URI or it's players, simultaneously condemning the program and it's NIL efforts, and not understanding the connection between the two.
you're making it super easy to say fuck it and not buy any tickets, buy rhody gear for the fam, buy the food, buy the drink.

P Bruins are looking better and better with each post you make.
:lol:
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago

So because I'm not a fan of URI, I should not have a general opinion on how I think fans of any program should value contributing to NIL?
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 3 weeks ago

you're making it super easy to say fuck it and not buy any tickets, buy rhody gear for the fam, buy the food, buy the drink.

LMAO dude if my posts about your shitty opinions on NIL donations are enough for you to stop going to URI games you are exactly proving my point about this "fan base."

Holy hell dude. Enjoy AHL hockey mr super fan! The board will become slightly more readable. Can you get a group discount at the AMP and clear a couple others out with you?

Sowwy I hurt your widdle feewings.

Give to Rhody's NIL
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

LMAO dude if my posts about your shitty opinions on NIL donations are enough for you to stop going to URI games you are exactly proving my point about this "fan base."

Holy hell dude. Enjoy AHL hockey mr super fan! The board will become slightly more readable. Can you get a group discount at the AMP and clear a couple others out with you?

it's quite the opposite, you're doing a disservice to the program and athletic dept.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Encouraging fans to stop being fans. Wow. I'm sure the URI Ticket Office would love to see this conversation....
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

A poster on a message board is being mean to me so I'm not going to stop going on the message board but I will stop buying tickets and team gear is one way of reacting I suppose
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

it's quite the opposite, you're doing a disservice to the program and athletic dept.
HAHAHAHAH I'm dying right now. This is too perfect.

"I hate the idea of giving money to the players that play for the basketball team I supposedly root for, but because I disagree with one fan on the internet, I am going to give more money to the minor league hockey team that plays in the building my college rivals do and support them."

Buddy, I ain't the program or the athletic department. I'm a fan who has season tickets and donates and gives to NIL because I would like the team I root for to be good and I seem to understand the realities of collegiate basketball better than you do.

I am sorry that my ideas are more defensible and are probably closer to accurate than yours, that you take that as an insult.

I am not sorry that I don't take kindly to you and others bashing the program I love and give money to because you are too ignorant to the realities of today's collegiate basketball landscape.
Last edited by Blue Man 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago Encouraging fans to stop being fans. Wow. I'm sure the URI Ticket Office would love to see this conversation....
How I imagine Billyboy's phonecall:

"Um...hey, ticket office? Yeah there's a guy on the message board who's completely unaffiliated with URI saying mean things about people who don't donate or buy tickets to see URI basketball."

"Yeah, he donates and buys season tickets, but he has mean things to say about people that don't!"

"The mean things? Oh well things like "if you don't give money to the program while you do nothing but complain that you're a clown."

"Oh yeah, the people he's calling clowns? Yeah, I mean they aren't donating or buying anything and their opinions on going to basketball games are completely based on how they feel about message posters, but think of how this makes you look!"

"No I get that he doesn't work for URI or have anything to do with URI besides being a fan...yeah I mean, the things might be true that he's saying...but they're MEAN"

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago Encouraging fans to stop being fans. Wow. I'm sure the URI Ticket Office would love to see this conversation....
well, you can't be a fan and a "whiny, miserable, dick who likes to complain"...I mean...one must choose, right? :lol:
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

How I imagine Billyboy's phonecall:

"Um...hey, ticket office? Yeah there's a guy on the message board who's completely unaffiliated with URI saying mean things about people who don't donate or buy tickets to see URI basketball."

"Yeah, he donates and buys season tickets, but he has mean things to say about people that don't!"

"The mean things? Oh well things like "if you don't give money to the program while you do nothing but complain that you're a clown."

"Oh yeah, the people he's calling clowns? Yeah, I mean they aren't donating or buying anything and their opinions on going to basketball games are completely based on how they feel about message posters, but think of how this makes you look!"

"No I get that he doesn't work for URI or have anything to do with URI besides being a fan...yeah I mean, the things might be true that he's saying...but they're MEAN"
Actually, we are buying tickets, concessions and merch, which is a lot more than what is spent on NIL by 99% of fans. But you want a fan to go to P-Bruins and to take other fans with him instead of going to URI games. I'm sure Archie would love seeing even fewer fans than we had last year.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

It's as simple as this

Those with NIL can compete. The more NIL, the better your team can be. Yes, you need a good coach and other amenities, but NIL directly impacts a programs success in today's current landscape.

Either donate to it or STFU and anyone encouraging people to donate to NIL IS doing what is best for the program because the best we can do as fans is to buy tickets and donate to get better players. Period. So yes, you are objectively a worse fan if you get your panties in a wad over donating to NIL. So fucking dumb getting worked up over ten fucking dollars.

Give money to help team win, that's all it is! Nothing else!

But yeah, let's advocate against making the team better! Makes so much sense! Or just stop blabbering about it, because heaven forbid you influence others to not give to Rhody Excellence. That DIRECTLY HURTS THE PROGRAM. Get real.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

"I hate the idea of giving money to the players that play for the basketball team I supposedly root for, but because I disagree with one fan on the internet, I am going to give more money to the minor league hockey team that plays in the building my college rivals do and support them."

Buddy, I ain't the program or the athletic department. I'm a fan who has season tickets and donates and gives to NIL because I would like the team I root for to be good and I seem to understand the realities of collegiate basketball better than you do.

I am sorry that my ideas are more defensible and are probably closer to accurate than yours, that you take that as an insult.

I am not sorry that I don't take kindly to you and others bashing the program I love and give money to because you are too ignorant to the realities of today's collegiate basketball landscape.
I do buy the tickets, i do buy the gear, i do buy the food, i do buy the drink, i do buy the 50/50, i do support other programs.

I'm not doing the NIL, I'm tapped out.

can I stay now?

Edited to remove offensive term/language - TP
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

hey you, you fucking retard.

I do buy the tickets, i do buy the gear, i do buy the food, i do buy the drink, i do buy the 50/50, i do support other programs.

can I stay now?

you dumb fuck.
Hey, you fucking piece of shit. I guess you think "retard" is a sick burn, but using it shows you suck at life. Be better. A lot fucking better
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Really gentlemen!

Between ECR and his relentless music video posts and the foul mouth antagonists, this Board has really become a drag.

Can we talk Rhody basketball and agree to disagree, but do so with some kind of decorum?
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

i call for a message board "timeout"

guys.. we are a RAMily !

let's keep it civil
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 weeks ago

can I stay now?

you dumb fuck.
Hey, you fucking piece of shit. I guess you think "retard" is a sick burn, but using it shows you suck at life. Be better. A lot fucking better
no, i know what I said.

thanks for your concern though.

and fuck you too.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 weeks ago Really gentlemen!

Between ECR and his relentless music video posts and the foul mouth antagonists, this Board has really become a drag.

Can we talk Rhody basketball and agree to disagree, but do so with some kind of decorum?

umm.. my musical posts are in essence a post and

like when i tell R15 how much i love him.. and i do... so much.. i admit it

LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago

So because I'm not a fan of URI, I should not have a general opinion on how I think fans of any program should value contributing to NIL?
I for one appreciate RJ and his insights, even though he is a Pee Cee fan. Actually, I enjoy his posts more than some of the "so called" Rhody fans on this Board.

I despise Pee Cee though, but dont mind him.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

you could block me...

R15 has., .. well.. in theory he has....
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 weeks ago

you could block me...

R15 has., .. well.. in theory he has....
I would, if I knew how to. I'm not that tech savvy...I'm an old lady.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

ha.. i hear ya.. i am not to tech savy either - outside of copy and pasting youtube posts :)
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Keep it classy.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Amen.

Apparently, Rhode Island came in 1st out of 50 states for rudeness. This site is starting to become proof positive.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

and that's why i left the northeast and haven't looked back !!!

it is much easier being nicer !

so everyone please chill !

no need for personal insults but there is need for other points of view !
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 weeks ago

can I stay now?

you dumb fuck.
no, i know what I said.

thanks for your concern though.

and fuck you too.
A witty retort to my ideas. You’re definitely on the winning side hahahahhahaha.

Oh my God dude enjoy the amp this year! They’ll be lucky to have such a diehard fan!

Give to Rhody's NIL
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

...geez...the busting of the gold-stuffed piñata...like what should've happened from the get-go...who could have ever seen something like that coming? :o (Hint: they are regularly trashed here and have no right to complain about anything - those people)

I mean, even the players (er, players' lawyers) knew all along that the go-fund-me would amount to pennies on the dollar compared to the true value. But, since this could take a few months to sort out, everyone please, still donate as much as you can want to NIL this year.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

thank you - now i can sleep at night knowing that i am not to be blamed for not donating $10/month and costing us the ncaa.. as opposed to blaming… ummm… i don’t know … a guy making $2 million a year …
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

“For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil”
GO RAMS
RhodyNorth
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by RhodyNorth »

Don’t really get the victory lap here. This is going to widen the gap more. Even if the university is in charge of NIL, donating to it will be pretty important for Rhody to remain competitive.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhodyNorth wrote: 3 weeks ago Don’t really get the victory lap here. This is going to widen the gap more. Even if the university is in charge of NIL, donating to it will be pretty important for Rhody to remain competitive.
How much has been raised so far?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

More proof of what an absolute wild wild west debacle this has been:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... awsuit-nil
RhodyNorth
Frenchy Tomlin

RhodyNorth wrote: 3 weeks ago Don’t really get the victory lap here. This is going to widen the gap more. Even if the university is in charge of NIL, donating to it will be pretty important for Rhody to remain competitive.
Yeah yeah yeah, not a drop in the bucket. Doesn’t make it any less important for us or any team not in the P6 class of TV deals.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhodyNorth wrote: 3 weeks ago
Yeah yeah yeah, not a drop in the bucket. Doesn’t make it any less important for us or any team not in the P6 class of TV deals.
Seriously...I think people would be interested. Why not share how much has been raised so far?
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

And it continues

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ources-say

BTW, I agree. This makes it even more difficult for schools at our level to compete and even less likely our pittance of a donation will matter. The chasm just opened wide and we are screwed unless some master plan for competitiveness involves revenue sharing from the big boys to the rest of us.
RhodyNorth
Frenchy Tomlin

RhodyNorth wrote: 3 weeks ago

Seriously...I think people would be interested. Why not share how much has been raised so far?
Seeing we never got an update after 25k on the 50k challenge, I’ll hazard a guess that we did not reach it. I would have to imagine small time donors are under 100k. Ryan and Fascitelli will be carrying the load (as expected).
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I agree with others who posted that next coaches contract is for less, not more and the difference goes to NIL.

I don’t mean next coach as someone other than Archie, just the next contract. It may be Archie, it might be someone else.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 3 weeks ago I agree with others who posted that next coaches contract is for less, not more and the difference goes to NIL.
For that to work, you need a solid GM. who will actually probably be more important than the coach if'n ya wanna compete...
We're getting there tho...we have players with agents, a busted open golden goose, next probably a few lawsuits from schools being "whiny complaining dicks" about distribution, then maybe a players' union, salary caps, trades...