The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by steviep123 »

jcru wrote:I knew that would bother him, but as they say... true story
Bother who? Me or True Point? If you think that bothers me you don't know me at all.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

sf2010, your comment makes absolutely no sense to anyone but you. What does inventing the internet have to do with planning a .gif image and spending an hour to make it?
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

It's cool, stevie! At least someone is getting use out of it.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

URI also interviewing Celtics assistant Micah Shrewsberry. https://t.co/xXNn0SeM9Z
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Cox had his interview today.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I do not hate the Micah Shrewsberry interview.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote:URI also interviewing Celtics assistant Micah Shrewsberry. https://t.co/xXNn0SeM9Z
Billy your link brings us to the Goodman tweet about Cox/Dooley/Becker. Did you give us the wrong link?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Shrewsberry is one of the very few non-Cox candidates that intrigues me. I've said before that I don't think there is any value proposition in hiring a coach that has been at a smaller school for more than a year or two. If they were special, they wouldn't still be at the small school. I would rather try to nail finding the next special coach than play it safe with a reasonably competent Joe Q. Coach. To me, Cox could be special, Shrewsberry could be special. I think Nate Oats could be special. I would bet my house that Dooley and Becker are not special.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

That’s a pretty big fish and probably Cox’s stiffest comp. goodman’s Latest tweet says URI interviewed Shrewsberry.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:URI also interviewing Celtics assistant Micah Shrewsberry. https://t.co/xXNn0SeM9Z
Billy your link brings us to the Goodman tweet about Cox/Dooley/Becker. Did you give us the wrong link?
Goodman was just responding to his own tweet to break the Shrewsberry news.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

“We will be good when we are good.”
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Officially a Lamar Odom redux now
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody83 wrote:
=> eye roll emoji
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote:Officially a Lamar Odom redux now
===> head shake and face to palm emoji.....
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Well, it’s out in the open now. It’s Cox or bust for Harris.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Tell him, "don't let the door hit ya..."
gorhody
Abdul Fox

Unread post by gorhody »

jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Was at my older brother's yesterday for Easter in Tiverton. Alumnus and follower of the program. "Hurley's gone." "Yeah, that sucks"

"They're going to hire the assistant coach"

"But this isn't like when Jerry D got hired, and Lamar promised to stay if he got hired, right? There aren't any players like that this time around"

errrrrr
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Will Dana's tweet be next?
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Oh, they are all going to weigh in, don't worry. They know the decision is close, now is the time to threaten the mass exodus.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Shrewsberry is definitely an interesting option.
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

I just paid for my season tix because I wanted to watch Cox coach.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote:That proves absolutely nothing, TP.

Now, if you had done that 15 years ago, THEN you might have had a point.
I had no point other than it is highly doubtful that anyone "stole" anything "from you," including an image you supposedly put onto the internet two decades ago. If a thing you made is showing up on a google image search from dozens and dozens of sources (none of which appear to be the website where you originally uploaded it), that is kind of cool I guess, but if someone uses one of those images they didn't "steal" it from you.

Also, the image in question was a trademarked image, and a version of a trademarked image that you uploaded to the internet is not exactly "your" thing in the first place. The concepts of public domain and public use are both applicable here. If the image was some sort of original artwork then maybe it would make sense to say someone else using it had stolen it.

All of this is entirely besides the actual point, which is: who cares.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Wow...Hurls has to be mad pumped, smiling ear to ear and maybe laughing like a hyena. Either his friend gets a HC job and MAYBE his recruits stay with him, or, he gets to HIRE his friend and get the guys he recruited anyway. Hurls: "Winner winner chicken dinner" Cox has to be pretty jacked up, too, I would think.

"Chief, looks like we have a hostage situation here"
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Hurley Show wrote:I just paid for my season tix because I wanted to watch Cox coach.
silly...there's no connection there....
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Hurley Show wrote:I just paid for my season tix because I wanted to watch Cox coach.
silly...there's no connection there....
Just a joke because the recruits are campaigning for Cox.
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Tate just had a similar tweet.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......IF we loose JH due a coach hire other than Cox, that would be huge disappointment, but shit happens when coaching changes come calling......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Its COX or see ya in 10 years.
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

As we've discussed exhaustively here, if they hire Cox, it will not be for any one particular recruit. There is value in retaining your roster and a large and high quality recruiting class, obviously, because if you do not have any players then you don't have a team. But only a true imbecile would try to compare David Cox's candidacy for a head coaching position with Jerry DeGregorio's. Jerry D would never have gotten a job coaching at any level; Cox will have a D1 job this year or next year whether URI hires him or somebody else does.

Also don't understand why a person would have a problem with a player or recruit weighing in on who they want the next coach to be. People here are weighing in despite it not having any impact on their life and despite the fact that they don't appear to have any earthly idea what the hell they are talking about.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Dana.....Behind my brother all the way on this one! Love Cox and our relationship, only coach I’m willing to play for https://t.co/XGUT9UKyIM
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If it's not Cox, the whole class is gone.....and some players too.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

We've always known that, and so has everyone involved. I guess I'm not really sure what the fire drill is about all of a sudden.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Actually, that link you posted proves my point, because the ones that are copies of the one I made have the same color blue as the ones I made, and it looks like all of them link to this site. Whereas the ones with the dull light blue letters don't link to this site, and were likely created by someone at the school.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:We've always known that, and so has everyone involved. I guess I'm not really sure what the fire drill is about all of a sudden.
I wasn't sure about Dana though. He loves the school too.
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Billyboy78 wrote:If it's not Cox, the whole class is gone.....and some players too.
Agree Billy. Some people say it doesn’t matter, hire the best coach. I would keep our players, and recruits. Cox has earned his shot, in my opinion.
steviep123
Sly Williams

I don't know much about Shrewsberry, but looking at his Wiki page, doesn't seem to have any Div 1 head coaching experience (was a head coach from 2005 to 2007 at Indiana - South Bend, an NAIA school). Other than a brief stint as an asst at Purdue, he's been with Brad Stevens (Butler, Celtics) since 2008. I don't see him any more intriguing than Cox. (Although not less intriguing either).

What's clear is that the 3 recruits that tweeted either thought for sure that Cox was coming earlier and are now not as confident or just want to do what they can to make sure it is Cox.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

This just seems like jack-wagon-ry... (although, I probably qualify for TP's last sentence in the post above) Whatever...

But, if Cox isn't HC here, he becomes an assistant @ UConn, and if Tate goes to UConn, make no mistake, he'll be playing for Hurls, not Cox. So, let's say he goes to UConn anyway, and then the following year, DC gets a head coaching gig at a lower school...does he transfer to follow him, or is he just mouth-spouting checks he can't/won't ever cash?

D Tate ‏ @DTateJr1
D Tate Retweeted Jermaine Harris

Behind my brother all the way on this one! Love Cox and our relationship, only coach I’m willing to play for [​IMG]
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:Dana.....Behind my brother all the way on this one! Love Cox and our relationship, only coach I’m willing to play for https://t.co/XGUT9UKyIM
BS
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Bjorn right now.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote:We've always known that, and so has everyone involved. I guess I'm not really sure what the fire drill is about all of a sudden.
Because they are hearing it first hand. I think this Shrewberry or Dooley news woke them up.
steviep123
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:As we've discussed exhaustively here, if they hire Cox, it will not be for any one particular recruit. There is value in retaining your roster and a large and high quality recruiting class, obviously, because if you do not have any players then you don't have a team. But only a true imbecile would try to compare David Cox's candidacy for a head coaching position with Jerry DeGregorio's. Jerry D would never have gotten a job coaching at any level; Cox will have a D1 job this year or next year whether URI hires him or somebody else does.

Also don't understand why a person would have a problem with a player or recruit weighing in on who they want the next coach to be. People here are weighing in despite it not having any impact on their life and despite the fact that they don't appear to have any earthly idea what the hell they are talking about.
Agreed!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote:I don't know much about Shrewsberry, but looking at his Wiki page, doesn't seem to have any Div 1 head coaching experience (was a head coach from 2005 to 2007 at Indiana - South Bend, an NAIA school). Other than a brief stint as an asst at Purdue, he's been with Brad Stevens (Butler, Celtics) since 2008. I don't see him any more intriguing than Cox. (Although not less intriguing either).

What's clear is that the 3 recruits that tweeted either thought for sure that Cox was coming earlier and are now not as confident or just want to do what they can to make sure it is Cox.
I think they probably saw the same tweet as people here did reporting that URI is definitely going to interview at least one other candidate. I'm sure they are trying to advocate for their choice, as is their right. Who knows what they'd been previously told about the search process and whether the news of the other interview came as a surprise. I would guess that nothing has really changed substantively other than more information is public.

I would still be pretty shocked if the next coach is anyone but David Cox.
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

jcru wrote:Officially a Lamar Odom redux now
One of the many reasons I can't wait for the Cox hire will because it starts the countdown to when jcru officially disappears from the board. Just like when it was Hurley, he will continue to comment up until the point Cox has success. Then we won't hear from him until the next coaching change saga.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Boy you're in for a rude awakening
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

It’s decision week, names are leaking out, players likely thought Cox was a certainty...that’s the sudden cause for alarm. I am betting we lose 6/7/8 players if we go a different direction. Fatts, Dowtin, Cyril, Tertsea, Adams, Harris, Tate and Martin.

Talk about a rebuild. DONT DO IT THORR, it’s not worth the gamble.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I guess I'm being a little selfish. I'm too old to go through another total rebuild and sucking for at least 2 years. There might only be 4 or 5 scholarship players left....and not good ones.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote:Image

Bjorn right now.
Uh, no. This situation is not really special. It is the same thing every AD goes thru during any coaching change. This is his job. I can guarantee you he does not feel that way. He's doing his diligence and will make whatever decision he thinks is right, and it won't have anything to do with who tweets what or who emails him or anything else.