12/10 | Army | 2:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 12/10 | Army | 2:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Much needed win. Got sloppy but I liked the bounce back. Martin can rebound but he’s kind of a problem on offense. Unfortunately, he’s getting a lot of open* shots and cannot capitalize.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago Is this a one-off or will we play there next year
I think it's a one-off, but no confirmation either way from the schedule announcements
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Ok nice to finally get a much needed win !!

Great to see Carey back that only helps us

Let’s get our NET out of the dreaded 300s !!
We went from 306 to 290
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago Yikes start to half lol
Based on Archie's demeanor in the first half and how they came out of the locker room for the second half, I think they got their asses chewed the hell out at halftime. I wasn't really surprised by the slow start to the second half, they walked out of the tunnel like they were heading to a funeral
From my vantage point, there clearly were few times Coach get in the face of few players coming off the floor, apparently pointing out the errors. To me clearly not pleased with the often repeated mistakes. Coaching, teaching going on. No one seems immune from this actions by Archie. Good to see.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

FB played there about 15 years ago…lost in OT,
but what an amazing place that is.
If you ever get a chance…

I’ve never been to Annapolis but I hear it’s even more beautiful.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Much needed win. Got sloppy but I liked the bounce back. Martin can rebound but he’s kind of a problem on offense. Unfortunately, he’s getting a lot of one shots and cannot capitalize.
He needs to start knocking those shots down - such a solid player in other aspects of the game but his shooting (particularly on open 3s) is bad. I think if he hits a few he will get on a roll.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Yep, having lived in the Hudson Valley for 40 years, place is amazing. Two highlights, got to sit in on many Coach K practices, he was very generous with time for local high school coaches. The other, at football games tailgating, people just leave booze, food etc on the tables, return to post game tailgating with everything untouched!! That would not happen at Gillette. Great place, educational, historical (the chain) on and on.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

When one bad team plays another bad team positives are meaningless. This was still a close game until late in half two,
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Freeman 23 %
Malik. 21 %
Bassy. 17 %

Those 3 point % are awful , 27 % as a team
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I don’t know about anyone else, but although we are three and seven, we lost five of those games by five points or less. I know we’ve looked terrible most of the time, but that still has to give us hope.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
I cant stand it

Basically a couple high schoolers doing the games and none of them have any freaking talent

Pretty sure the vast majority of this board could do better

Like complete a single sentence without stammering my god
I hate to pile on, because they are young and learning, but its also kind of driving me crazy that they keep calling us a second half team. I guess maybe we've played a little better in the second half of a few games, but how can you be a second half team when the game ends after the second half and you've lost 7 of your 9 games.
In the first 9 games URI was -41 in the first half and +5 in the second half. A 46 point swing through 9 games, I'd say it's fair to call them a second half team
Fair enough. I guess it's a matter of semantics a little, but to me a "second half team" wins games with their play in the second half and closes out games strong.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago I don’t know about anyone else, but although we are three and seven, we lost five of those games by five points or less. I know we’ve looked terrible most of the time, but that still has to give us hope.
Gives me hope!

That's also why I factor in how it's sucked that we've been down so many players all year.

Look how big of a difference Jalen Carey just made

How different is the Brown, BC and PC games with him?

How do the first three games of the year go with Bray and Bilau?

How much will Ant Harris make a difference if he gets on the court?

The thing now is cleaning up the stupid turnovers that's really held us back a lot.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago When one bad team plays another bad team positives are meaningless. This was still a close game until late in half two,
Man, you couldn’t be more wrong. When a young rebuilding team continues to learn how to win games, it’s a positive. We were all worried about Army coming back late, and we made vital plays and never let them catch us as Brown did. When you’re a veteran team that has high expectations, these are the games that frustrate fans. We aren’t at that stage right now. Any win right now is a positive as Archie said in the post game. Winning cures a lot of issues in the locker room.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago Yikes start to half lol
Based on Archie's demeanor in the first half and how they came out of the locker room for the second half, I think they got their asses chewed the hell out at halftime. I wasn't really surprised by the slow start to the second half, they walked out of the tunnel like they were heading to a funeral
URI led 41-27 at halftime.
Why would Archie chew their asses out at halftime when URI led by 14 points? Seems he would be congratulating the players, giving positive feedback, tweaking a few things. But if he is chewing them out with a 14 point lead, I’d say he chews them out every halftime.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

The first five minutes of the game did not look like basketball, either team…
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Watching our girls play @Quinnipiac

Quinnipiac has three professional adults calling the game

Just wanted to reiterate how embaronsing our TV situation is.
LamonteUlmer15
Michael Andersen

Unread post by LamonteUlmer15 »

re watched the game looking for the positives that led to that double digit first half lead. First thing I noticed was that all of our first 20 points came from shots inside the paint, and essentially all of them were taken within 10 seconds of shot clock, either in transition off turnovers or off a quick assist pushing up the floor off an Army miss. This team needs to play fast at every opportunity. I think the best option for that is One of Samb, Bilau, or Tchiku on the floor at a time for the vast majority of the game. With an already clogged up half court offense due to abysmal 3pt shooting I think we are so much better off making up for lack of size with team speed and hustle plays than forcing the two big lineup. Also allows for more development for Hutch/Weston, really want to see what they can do in that setting.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

LamonteUlmer15 wrote: 1 year ago re watched the game looking for the positives that led to that double digit first half lead. First thing I noticed was that all of our first 20 points came from shots inside the paint, and essentially all of them were taken within 10 seconds of shot clock, either in transition off turnovers or off a quick assist pushing up the floor off an Army miss. This team needs to play fast at every opportunity. I think the best option for that is One of Samb, Bilau, or Tchiku on the floor at a time for the vast majority of the game. With an already clogged up half court offense due to abysmal 3pt shooting I think we are so much better off making up for lack of size with team speed and hustle plays than forcing the two big lineup. Also allows for more development for Hutch/Weston, really want to see what they can do in that setting.
Yeah but when we have just one big in, especially Samb we can't guard aaaannnybody

Especially noticed when Samb was all alone down there he got killed
LamonteUlmer15
Michael Andersen

Unread post by LamonteUlmer15 »

LamonteUlmer15 wrote: 1 year ago re watched the game looking for the positives that led to that double digit first half lead. First thing I noticed was that all of our first 20 points came from shots inside the paint, and essentially all of them were taken within 10 seconds of shot clock, either in transition off turnovers or off a quick assist pushing up the floor off an Army miss. This team needs to play fast at every opportunity. I think the best option for that is One of Samb, Bilau, or Tchiku on the floor at a time for the vast majority of the game. With an already clogged up half court offense due to abysmal 3pt shooting I think we are so much better off making up for lack of size with team speed and hustle plays than forcing the two big lineup. Also allows for more development for Hutch/Weston, really want to see what they can do in that setting.
Yeah but when we have just one big in, especially Samb we can't guard aaaannnybody

Samb is also a liability on the glass, more of a reason to not play two of them at a time imo. Would love to see Samb's minutes shrink. Quickness and jumping ability from Carey/ Weston allows for a more versatile defense and way more transition opportunities directly off of rebounds. Especially in A10 play when you aren't seeing too many huge teams
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

LamonteUlmer15 wrote: 1 year ago

Samb is also a liability on the glass, more of a reason to not play two of them at a time imo. Would love to see Samb's minutes shrink. Quickness and jumping ability from Carey/ Weston allows for a more versatile defense and way more transition opportunities directly off of rebounds. Especially in A10 play when you aren't seeing too many huge teams
Yeah Samb is in dire need of the weight room

Same with Alex and Bilau

Bilau I give a pass because I'm pretty sure he just went several months without being able to lift with that shoulder injury.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Tough to stay in the lineup at 6'8" when you're playing 18 minutes and grabbing 0 rebounds, and you're not really an offensive threat unless you're cutting or feeding off someone else's offense. His rebounds per 40 is currently sitting at 6.4, more akin to a 2 or a 3.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago

Tough to stay in the lineup at 6'8" when you're playing 18 minutes and grabbing 0 rebounds, and you're not really an offensive threat unless you're cutting or feeding off someone else's offense. His rebounds per 40 is currently sitting at 6.4, more akin to a 2 or a 3.
I agree SG, if Samb can't contribute on the boards or defense, he needs to sit.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago
I cant stand it

Basically a couple high schoolers doing the games and none of them have any freaking talent

Pretty sure the vast majority of this board could do better

Like complete a single sentence without stammering my god
I hate to pile on, because they are young and learning, but its also kind of driving me crazy that they keep calling us a second half team. I guess maybe we've played a little better in the second half of a few games, but how can you be a second half team when the game ends after the second half and you've lost 7 of your 9 games.
In the first 9 games URI was -41 in the first half and +5 in the second half. A 46 point swing through 9 games, I'd say it's fair to call them a second half team
Good info, Rhowdy. Thanks.

I will pay attention to this as the season progresses.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago

I agree SG, if Samb can't contribute on the boards or defense, he needs to sit.
Something (him sitting more) to watch for going forward.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago

I think it's fair to say Bray is an emotional player and will have ups and downs in terms of confidence.
Don’t think he was thrilled not being in the closing lineup. Can’t say I blame him. He’s better than Thomas
Some clips of Bassy’s second half.

Bray is definitely better than Thomas but Thomas had a great second half. My guess is Archie stuck with the hot hand.
Thanks for the vid, Stevey, as I was able to listen to the game but not watch.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago
ram1980 wrote: 1 year ago Almost looked like freeman was sulking on bench at end of game again. Something to watch.
I think it's fair to say Bray is an emotional player and will have ups and downs in terms of confidence.
Don’t think he was thrilled not being in the closing lineup. Can’t say I blame him. He’s better than Thomas
I don't disagree.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Another thank you for Cox--Samb should have been living in the weight room last year.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago Watching our girls play @Quinnipiac

You sure they're not students in Quinnipiac's Ed McMahon School of Communications?
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago

You sure they're not students in Quinnipiac's Ed McMahon School of Communications?
Lol yeah
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bray is definitely better than Thomas but Thomas had a great second half. My guess is Archie stuck with the hot hand.
Yeah Bray had too many dumb turnovers at the end there. Thomas was making better decisions with the ball.
In the last 7 minutes Miller made 4 Subs:

Line up at 7 minutes: Leggett, Martin, Tchikou, Freeman, Carey
  • 6:51 - Turnover Freeman - Freeman Out - Thomas In
  • 6:08 - Bilau for Tchikou
  • 5:03 - Turnover Carey - @ 4:53 Carey Out - Freeman In
  • 4:40 - Turnover Freeman - @ 4:11 Freeman Out - Carey In
Very clearly Miller is emphasizing turnovers. 3 TO’s in last 7 minutes all resulted in player almost immediately removed from the game.

Thomas, Leggett and Martin played the entire last 7 minutes with zero TO’s.

Freeman never returned after his TO at 4:40. Within 2 minutes 11 seconds (6:51 to 4:40) Freeman (2) and Carey (1) combined for 3 TO’s.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Yeah Bray had too many dumb turnovers at the end there. Thomas was making better decisions with the ball.

Very clearly Miller is emphasizing turnovers. 3 TO’s in last 7 minutes all resulted in player almost immediately removed from the game.

Freeman never returned after his TO at 4:40. Within 2 minutes 11 seconds (6:51 to 4:40) Freeman (2) and Carey (1) combined for 3 TO’s.
Archie with the Zero Turnover Tolerance. I can dig it.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago

Archie with the Zero Turnover Tolerance. I can dig it.
Goes back to his point about not wanting to call the timeout since we had turned it over 3x in the last 3 ATO’s.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

'Professional' is a stretch. They were struggling with basic rules of basketball at times.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago

'Professional' is a stretch. They were struggling with basic rules of basketball at times.
I didn't watch the whole game so maybe so, but still they were comfortable up there. Sounded like pros to me. Hardly anyone's ESPN+ crew is great though of course.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I watched the early minutes of the Quinnipiac games and in that brief span saw several gaffes. When URI put in a basket to tie the game, the announcer called it Rhody up one. Later URI put in a trey to take the lead and the scoreboard gave the basket to Quinnipiac and it stayed that way for the longest time and the announcers never corrected it.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Not a bad crowd considering our record. First win I saw this year in person. Glad for that.
Yes 5238 decent number for sure
This was the first game of the PC 5-Game Mini-pack
Some PC fans bought the mini-pack to get the PC ticket and have little desire to go to all of the 4 other games - maybe none of them.

I think this Army was the worst attended game to date this season.
Note the picture of the student section - students very lightly attended
Some students are squatting in the 200 sections because there are so many season ticket holders not attending and better seats can be had.

The actual people in seats was well below 5,238 - unfortunately.
5671FDE9-953A-4274-B1CB-7CB43BB06FEB.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Not a bad crowd considering our record. First win I saw this year in person. Glad for that.
Some PC fans bought the mini-pack to get the PC ticket

I think this was the worst attended game to date.
Note the pic of the student section - students very lightly attended
Some students are squatting in the 200 sections because there are so many season ticket holders not attending.

ramster...I think the only way to crack the attendance code is...take a panorama of shots around the arena at some point in the game...maybe 8 shots, count all the people, then post it, and have a "closest to the right number gets two tix to the Milwaukee game (second place gets 3)" contest.
I get what 'attendance' is based on...but were there really even a thousand people at the last game? It would be hi-larious if EZ B had a "guess tonight's attendance" contest with a fan right before the NPMOM.... "...OOhhh...sorry, tonight's attendance is actually 5,238, not, 817. But, give it up for Fred!"
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

Some PC fans bought the mini-pack to get the PC ticket

I think this was the worst attended game to date.
Note the pic of the student section - students very lightly attended
Some students are squatting in the 200 sections because there are so many season ticket holders not attending.

ramster...I think the only way to crack the attendance code is...take a panorama of shots around the arena at some point in the game...maybe 8 shots, count all the people, then post it, and have a "closest to the right number gets two tix to the Milwaukee game (second place gets 3)" contest.
I get what 'attendance' is based on...but were there really even a thousand people at the last game? It would be hi-larious if EZ B had a "guess tonight's attendance" contest with a fan right before the NPMOM.... "...OOhhh...sorry, tonight's attendance is actually 5,238, not, 817. But, give it up for Fred!"
NYGFan,
Last February I was doing just that, counting the people in their seats. It was easy because the actual attendance was so low as compared to the 4,000 or more that was being reported in the Box Score.

I was at the WBB Game Wednesday and it was comical as they said they could not report a good number because they did not scan tickets, but that is ironic since they do not ever report scanned attendance anyway.

There were more people at the WBB game Wednesday at 11am than there were at MBB Wednesday night or the MBB Saturday afternoon, and they were certainly much louder and enthusiastic at the WBB game.

Doesn't seem that the long discussed "Beer at games" has made any difference in attendance either.

It truly is about fielding a good team and winning. Win and they will come, lose and they will not come.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Some PC fans bought the mini-pack to get the PC ticket and have little desire to go to all of the 4 other games - maybe none of them.

I think this Army was the worst attended game to date this season.
Note the picture of the student section - students very lightly attended
Some students are squatting in the 200 sections because there are so many season ticket holders not attending and better seats can be had.

Until the team gets really good, those Saturday afternoon starts will always be tough to get students to attend. It’s a prime time for off campus parties. I believe the youngsters call it dartying.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Daytime on campus parries on weekends? Neva heard of such a thing…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938