Coach’s Shows 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Re: Coach’s Shows 2022-23

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago

Jimmy Ball, a walk on guard, and Sebastian Thomas were the guest following Miller.

Miller said scheduling is very tough for P5 schools and specifically mentioned the 20 games that P5 Conferences play now plus the role of the TV Networks in arranging the P5 Conferences playing one another that also takes up valuable potential games for Mid Majors. Tammi Reiss said she had the same difficulty getting quality games when she put together this year's schedule. She said she could not get P5 or Big Programs to play. It's a problem.

Miller mentioned effort multiple times and said we need to play unselfish basketball.

Miller is looking forward to the rest of the conference games, playing 3 upcoming home games and the A10 Tournament.
Interesting that he mentioned "unselfish basketball". Sometimes I felt like Brayon was being too selfish with the ball.
I felt that the unselfish basketball was a reference to Freeman and how we can now become unselfish. I never bought that Freeman had to take so many shots because the rest of the team was so inept. At any rate, we will see now how the team does. My guess is much more passing, less dribbling, more players involved in the offense. Hope so anyway.
Same, I just wanna see some unselfish basketball. No hero-ball, which is what Bray seemed to be good at.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jimmy Ball, a walk on guard, and Sebastian Thomas were the guest following Miller.

Miller said scheduling is very tough for P5 schools and specifically mentioned the 20 games that P5 Conferences play now plus the role of the TV Networks in arranging the P5 Conferences playing one another that also takes up valuable potential games for Mid Majors. Tammi Reiss said she had the same difficulty getting quality games when she put together this year's schedule. She said she could not get P5 or Big Programs to play. It's a problem.

Miller mentioned effort multiple times and said we need to play unselfish basketball.

Miller is looking forward to the rest of the conference games, playing 3 upcoming home games and the A10 Tournament.
Interesting that he mentioned "unselfish basketball". Sometimes I felt like Brayon was being too selfish with the ball.
I felt that the unselfish basketball was a reference to Freeman and how we can now become unselfish. I never bought that Freeman had to take so many shots because the rest of the team was so inept. At any rate, we will see now how the team does. My guess is much more passing, less dribbling, more players involved in the offense. Hope so anyway.
I guess one thing is we be better defensively without Bray
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 year ago

Miller talks about effort. Honestly I cannot think of a current or past player that I have observed giving as little effort and overall poor defense as I've witnessed from Freeman this season.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Miller talks about effort. Honestly I cannot think of a current or past player that I have observed giving as little effort and overall poor defense as I've witnessed from Freeman this season.
I’m glad he’s gone now
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Letting Oduro rebound his own FT and dunk the ball was ridiculous
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

And that's the thing. Bray does have the ability to play good defense. He did it on occasion this year. He has quick feet and the ability to keep his man in front of him and harass him. The problem is that he only chose to do that when he felt like it. You see how quick he is with his feet on offense, then come down on the other end and see a guy go right past him. It is all about effort. The one thing that pisses me off is if a player isn't playing hard and up to his ability.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Can't coach effort or attitude. You either have it or you don't.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Both can be true. Freeman didn't have to take so many shots - but we are also that inept.

This is where my eternal hope in Archie comes from: we get open shots. We just miss all of them. We have so many great plays and schemes that spring our shooters.

We rank 355/352 in FG%. 323/352 in 3pt %. So yeah, we're inept.

We'll get better when the talent improves. But Bray won't be addition by subtraction. We'll definitely get worse on offense - but it's not like we'll fall that far. Can't get any lower than the basement.

However, defensively you're losing a guy who's a negative in the DBox +/-. In a system like the packline, your lead guard being bad at defense and understanding the system hurts everything.

Unfortunately, Bassy is somehow worse. While a negative in the DBox, at least Bray gave you something on offense. Bassy is somehow a positive on the DBox but he's so negative on offense that his entire box +/- is something I didn't know was possible. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen an OBox of -4.0. That means in 100 possessions, Bassy gives you 4 points less than an average player. That's incredibly bad.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

You may want to turn away, the following URI Offensive stats are...OFFENSIVE.
2023 Offensive Offense.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

PU.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Does anyone remember if Bray took a charge this year or get floor burns from diving for loose balls. Eg TJ Buchanan,
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago It baffles me that people don’t see potential A10 caliber talent in Weston and Tchikou. It’s only glimpses but they are only first year players.
I agree on Weston but not on Tchikou. He seems to get off balance too easily. This is part of the reason that he s such a ineffective finisher. Yes, he is improved but can anyone remember a single big man in the A 10 that he is better than right now. ?
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago It baffles me that people don’t see potential A10 caliber talent in Weston and Tchikou. It’s only glimpses but they are only first year players.
I agree on Weston but not on Tchikou. He seems to get off balance too easily. This is part of the reason that he s such a ineffective finisher. Yes, he is improved but can anyone remember a single big man in the A 10 that he is better than right now. ?
Patience my friend. You wouldn't even be seeing much of either of these guys if we had a truly competitive and developed team. So don't expect to compare them to other, more established teams. I completely understand your concerns with Tchikou, but give him some time to develop. We don't get too many 4* bigs that are ready to play. (And when we do, they catch holy heck from some for being immature)
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago
How many other A10 centers are first year players? Jalen Deloach from VCU seems like a pretty good comp for Alex. Averaged 4 and 3 in 15mpg as a FR last year. 9 and 7 this year as a sophomore. Bigs always take longer.