How would you rate Coach Cox for the 2020 - 2021 Season?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

How would you rate Coach Cox for the 2020 - 2021 Season?

Poll ended at 3 years ago

A+
1%
A
No votes
A-
No votes
B+
No votes
B
1%
B-
2%
C+
4%
C
17%
C-
20%
D
37%
F
16%
Incomplete
1%

Total votes: 81

steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: How would you rate Coach Cox for the 2020 - 2021 Season?

Unread post by steviep123 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Blue Man, a C grade is defined as "average" overall by you, me, and everyone else I would think.

No way shape or form should Cox have gotten a C.

He was WAY worse than a C. I actually considered giving him the ol' F bomb as a grade, but gave him some credit for some of the transfers he brought in.
It's fair and accurate to give a high grade for quality and quantity of transfers and a poor grade for his coaching/use of them.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

For the record - I voted a D, and it probably would have been an F if there were any Covid stoppages. I think he deserves some credit for either running a disciplined or lucky program that didn't have any significant issues, when almost everyone else did.

However, in a way, this colors the rest of what happened. He had his roster intact for most of the year, and it got worse as the year went on and teams were able to scout us, culminating in a three game losing streak, and losing seven of eight down the stretch. The off-season transfers certainly didn't help, but Toppin's production was mostly replaced, and the weakness of the 2019-20 team - outside shooting - wasn't ultimately helped by the players brought in. The coach is the GM at the college level, so that falls on Cox too.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The biggest damning factor about Cox's coaching this season, was the almost total lack of defense toward the end of the season.

Defense is about hard work and dedication...and it didn't look like they wanted it bad enough.

Fundamentals and discipline were weak and almost nonexistent far too often. No direction from the top, whatsoever.

Some here think that all of this will improve next season. What basis does anyone have to support that? Pixie dust?