Roster 2020-21

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: Roster 2020-21

Unread post by steviep123 »

We really need another body especially if the Ms have to sit a year. Otherwise it’s

Fatts
Leggett
Toppin
Walker
Harris
Wood
DJ
Sheppard
Ousmane
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

With Long and Tyrese leaving other players saw a decent coach and program like us offered playing time and they pounced
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Malik Martin erases the Tyrese Martin departure and the recruitment of Tre Berry in one swoop.

Even Cole recruitment would also seem unlikely at this point.

Pure shooter or hold the ship.
Glad to have Martin, but that is a little drastic to say it erases Tyrese and Berry. Don’t underestimate how much the scoring of Tyrese will be lost. Very Good couple days overall.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago We really need another body especially if the Ms have to sit a year. Otherwise it’s

Fatts
Leggett
Toppin
Walker
Harris
Wood
DJ
Sheppard
Ousmane
Malik will definitely have to unless the transfer rule passes but I believe i saw a tweet saying the twin towers will only miss games in the first semester
nchof
Abdul Fox

Unread post by nchof »

Dino611 wrote: 4 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago We really need another body especially if the Ms have to sit a year. Otherwise it’s

Fatts
Leggett
Toppin
Walker
Harris
Wood
DJ
Sheppard
Ousmane
Malik will definitely have to unless the transfer rule passes but I believe i saw a tweet saying the twin towers will only miss games in the first semester
They have to be enrolled at the school for 2 full semesters in order for it to count. In this case they were not enrolled at uri for spring 2020 so they would need to sit for all of next season like Malik
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody19/21 wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago This has gotta be the first time in history a school has gotten three transfers in a day with the same initials!

MM
It’s hilarious that you even noticed this.
I was thinking the same thing.... Someone should make an M&M meme for it
.......time to bring back some RosdyJay type signs with an M&M logo etc.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago This has gotta be the first time in history a school has gotten three transfers in a day with the same initials!

MM
As an MM I love it! 🤙🏼
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

We really need another body especially if the Ms have to sit a year. Otherwise it’s

Fatts
Leggett
Toppin
Walker
Harris
Wood
DJ
Sheppard
Ousmane

Cox is probably holding that last scholly for a grad or Juco transfer that can
help right away. If the rule passes than look out A10 we could have 6'8,6'9,6'10
across the back line and 6'5, 6'6 out front playing a big line up. That would be a tough zone to
penetrate.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Zone defense, what's that?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Good to keep at least one scholarship open. You never know when an opportunity might pop up, or keep 2 open in case of twins.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

nchof wrote: 4 years ago

Fatts
Leggett
Toppin
Walker
Harris
Wood
DJ
Sheppard
Ousmane
They have to be enrolled at the school for 2 full semesters in order for it to count. In this case they were not enrolled at uri for spring 2020 so they would need to sit for all of next season like Malik
Are you certain about this? That is not what the sports media are reporting.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago

I think the fact that they did not play the 2nd half of the 2019-20 season could mean that they would be eligible to play by around Christmas, similar to how Walker was handled. Of course of the rule change passes they could play immediately, but I doubt seriously even without the rule change, that they would have to sit out the entire 2020-21 season.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

I think the fact that they did not play the 2nd half of the 2019-20 season could mean that they would be eligible to play by around Christmas, similar to how Walker was handled. Of course of the rule change passes they could play immediately, but I doubt seriously even without the rule change, that they would have to sit out the entire 2020-21 season.
I think the timing doesn't start when you leave the other school. It starts when you enroll in your new school. And besides that, I'm pretty sure that even though they didn't play basketball at Maryland the 2nd semester, they were still in school.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Transfer rule should be 1 semester, not 2 and not none.
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago

I think the timing doesn't start when you leave the other school. It starts when you enroll in your new school. And besides that, I'm pretty sure that even though they didn't play basketball at Maryland the 2nd semester, they were still in school.
So shoulder Walker have sat out the entire season at URI then?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Was he still enrolled at Georgetown during 2nd semester? He was already here.
nchof
Abdul Fox

Unread post by nchof »

Was he still enrolled at Georgetown during 2nd semester? He was already here.
Walker enrolled for 2nd semester that is why he was able to play mid season. From the NCAA website you need to sit out 2 semesters at the school you transferred to before eligible. The NCAA also just grants waivers when it feels like it so maybe we hope for that because it is an interesting situation.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

This team is going to have problems scoring if Fatts does not return.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I recall Cox saint he was disappointed Walker was not eligible to play at the start of this season. He was hoping for a waiver.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

This team is going to have problems scoring if Fatts does not return.

Only if the transfers aren't eligible. If they are then it will be different
but with Toppin, Abou and the twins they should be able to pound the
inside virtually at will. That will open up the outside shot for Sheppard.

But if the transfers aren't eligible I think your spot on.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I don't even want to think about the team if Fatts stays in the draft and the transfers aren't eligible....we wouldn't even win 10 games.
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

CHICO 78 wrote: 4 years ago This team is going to have problems scoring if Fatts does not return.

Only if the transfers aren't eligible. If they are then it will be different
but with Toppin, Abou and the twins they should be able to pound the
inside virtually at will. That will open up the outside shot for Sheppard.

But if the transfers aren't eligible I think your spot on.
I agree if Sheppard is enough of a point guard to distribute.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

According to Bill Koch's article in the Projo, all 3 transfers will need to sit a year unless the rule changes:

"What does all this mean for 2020-21? That largely depends on a potential rule change that is suddenly popular in Rams circles. The NCAA is doing away with its controversial waiver process and could allow players to transfer once in their respective careers without sitting out the mandatory two semesters in residence. The Mitchells and Martin would all be sidelined for the entirety of next season under the current setup."
Bleed Keaney Blue!

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That would be awful better pass this new rule
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

If it does pass, Cox needs to get Jermaine, Makhi and Antwan on board with all playing around 20 mins a game. That leaves some minutes at the 4/5 spot for other guys including Jacob who is now the only player not named Fatts who she be getting more than 25 mins a game next year.

Also, if it does pass we are in good shape with the twins and Martin not able to transfer again, presume at least a few of the Frosh will get minutes and be happy enough to stay. This is not the last year we will be dealing with transfer issues, to the last year we will be benefiting from the transfer rule.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

FROM RIVALS FRONT PAGE

Rhode Island - David Cox did a phenomenal job landing four commitments in four days earlier this week, all picking Rhode Island over a power conference suitor or two. First it was Abou Ousmane, who should be a nice piece down low. Then it was Makhi and Makhel Mitchell, two talented interior presences that left the Maryland program and are one-time Rivals150 prospects.

Lastly, Malik Martin, the younger brother of former URI standout Hassan Martin, will bring his nearly nine point and four rebound averages from Charlotte. The Rams did lose a few to transfer, but hasn’t everyone? They will remain among the upper-crust in its league for the foreseeable future.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago ...
Also, if it does pass we are in good shape with the twins and Martin not able to transfer again, ...
If the new transfer rule does NOT happen, the twins could transfer as grad students for their final year of eligibility.
NCAAs or Bust!
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago
Also, if it does pass we are in good shape with the twins and Martin not able to transfer again, ...
If the new transfer rule does NOT happen, the twins could transfer as grad students for their final year of eligibility.
Way to take lemonade and make lemons
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 4 years ago
No, I simply was correcting what I thought was a factually inaccurate statement.
I'm delighted the twins might be coming to URI and have no reason to think they would transfer again.
NCAAs or Bust!
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Sorry - just busting chops a little. Meant in a kidding manner.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

We need either a grad or JUCO Transfer if the transfer rule doesn't pass.
Either Ellis, Cole or Gage would fit the bill.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

You gotta admit, Ellis would be huge, even without the transfers being eligible, if Fatts stays.

The front court would be inexperienced and take a hit, but man would that back three be in pretty solid shape.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

No.
When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade...you tell those lemons to go #$@! themselves!
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

When life gives NYGiants fan lemons, he yells at the lemons.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago When life gives NYGiants fan lemons, he yells at the lemons.
Yep, to a point. But, when it gets to being a lemon monsoon, like we're going through now...ya just move on....
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
No.
When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade...you tell those lemons to go #$@! themselves!
heh, You're a regular Cave Johnson.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Time to reset that roster yet again....
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Well there is a sign of the times.

Abou Ousmane deleted.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Plenty of room for Evan Cole, it would seem.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Seriously? What the actual Fuuuuuuuuuuck?!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago Seriously? What the actual Fuuuuuuuuuuck?!
Should you even be surprised anymore?

Not a day goes by lately without something wacky going on.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I think we should just wait until November 1st to see what the roster is going to look like. And even then, who knows...
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I think we should just wait until November 1st to see what the roster is going to look like. And even then, who knows...
Hell, we may still not be allowed gatherings of more than 5 people in November.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Here’s my unofficial depth chart (If transfer rule passes) based on the current roster. Obviously Martin is going to get a healthy run as a 2G to spell Fatts or Sheppard, but didn’t want to dupe names/positions. You could also move some other guys around and play big or small. But my point is to show we have some nice depth. I like this roster.

G - Fatts - Wood
G - Sheppard - Leggett
F - Toppin - Martin - Johnson
F - Harris - Walker
C - Mitchell - Mitchell
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago Here’s my unofficial depth chart (If transfer rule passes) based on the current roster. Obviously Martin is going to get a healthy run as a 2G to spell Fatts or Sheppard, but didn’t want to dupe names/positions. You could also move some other guys around and play big or small. But my point is to show we have some nice depth. I like this roster.

G - Fatts - Wood
G - Sheppard - Leggett
F - Toppin - Martin - Johnson
F - Harris - Walker
C - Mitchell - Mitchell
We can survive with that group.

I feel like the only guy we could add is a guy like Ellis or Wilkins from Tech. Good ol combo guard.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago If it does pass, Cox needs to get Jermaine, Makhi and Antwan on board with all playing around 20 mins a game. That leaves some minutes at the 4/5 spot for other guys including Jacob who is now the only player not named Fatts who she be getting more than 25 mins a game next year.

Also, if it does pass we are in good shape with the twins and Martin not able to transfer again, presume at least a few of the Frosh will get minutes and be happy enough to stay. This is not the last year we will be dealing with transfer issues, to the last year we will be benefiting from the transfer rule.
What on earth did Jacob Toppin do this past season that makes you think he has earned more than 25 minutes per game next year? He should earn his minutes like everybody else. Jacob is a good athlete with nice length so he has a lot to work with and I like his potential, but he also has a lot to work on to earn those kind of minutes.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

The Mitchell's want to play together not spell each other. Either way, hope they buy in to DC's philosophies.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago The Mitchell's want to play together not spell each other. Either way, hope they buy in to DC's philosophies.
With that, it's likely to make it tougher to get another good freshman big in here.....we saw what happened with Ousmane.

If we do have a season starting this fall, the twins are likely to be eligible....so how many minutes in the frontcourt is someone that's new likely to get?

And what about any other transfer or grad transfer big?

Not even counting the fact, that what if the twins really aren't that good?

Before I get jumped on, I'm NOT saying they won't be, just asking.

In this brave new world, kids want instant minutes, whether they deserve them or not, and if they don't get them or think they might not get them, they leave.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago
Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago The Mitchell's want to play together not spell each other. Either way, hope they buy in to DC's philosophies.
With that, it's likely to make it tougher to get another good freshman big in here.....we saw what happened with Ousmane.

If we do have a season starting this fall, the twins are likely to be eligible....so how many minutes in the frontcourt is someone that's new likely to get?

And what about any other transfer or grad transfer big?

Not even counting the fact, that what if the twins really aren't that good?

Before I get jumped on, I'm NOT saying they won't be, just asking.

In this brave new world, kids want instant minutes, whether they deserve them or not, and if they don't get them or think they might not get them, they leave.
Nothing wrong with asking the question on the Twins. They haven’t proven it a the D1 level yet. We are happy to have them and expect them to be factors, but to just assume we are all set is not a given. Harris gives us solid minutes, but never turned into a star despite his very high ranking. It would be great to add another big, but it looks like it will be tricky unless it is a project and doesn’t expect to play right away