Dana Tate Transfers to Siena

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: Dana Tate to Transfer

Unread post by DC_Rams »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago No, guys, perhaps i wrote that wrong. I meant his costly tech at WVU was the last game he played, right? I wish he could’ve left us off a better performance, that’s all I meant. I truly love Dana as a person, I didn’t mean that as a shot.
I didn't view it as a shot at all. You're right. His tech did seriously cost us. It was a dumb decision from a great kid.

You've been nothing but supportive of Dana from day one on this board.
Thanks for the the backup stevey. I was hoping everyone else knew better than that.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Yeah I figured you meant the tech. I backed that up right away
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I told you so. This is particularly meant for NJRhodyFan.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I just don’t think the tech cost Rhody the game. A few turnovers by Harris in the last 4 minutes. The bad pass by Tyrese. The poor performance by Jeff.
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I just don’t think the tech cost Rhody the game. A few turnovers by Harris in the last 4 minutes. The bad pass by Tyrese. The poor performance by Jeff.
I’d have to go back, but I think that tech is what allowed them to pull away.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I just don’t think the tech cost Rhody the game. A few turnovers by Harris in the last 4 minutes. The bad pass by Tyrese. The poor performance by Jeff.
Cant cost you the game we weren't leading. Was it dumb? Yup, cost us the game nope. So many transfers lately. Yes most didnt have a roll but Dana did and would have if he returned from suspension. Leaves zero margin of error this year!

And why do we want Dougherty? Wasnt highly recruited or ranked very high at all. Kid didnt play on a bad ND team. That is a reactionary thought process.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

The funny thing is that coming into this year he looked like he could be the player to break out the most and also had worked hard in the offseason while also being very personable and friendly. He made some mistakes that were outside of basketball and interferes with the on the court. He was friendly with Cyril and as excited as any player I have seen to come to URI. He will contribute for a program for sure if he gets his head on straight. Bad ending here for Tate and URI. I really thought he was going to be very valuable the next three years.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Dana just retweeted Bill Koch's tweet.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago
Cant cost you the game we weren't leading. Was it dumb? Yup, cost us the game nope. So many transfers lately. Yes most didnt have a roll but Dana did and would have if he returned from suspension. Leaves zero margin of error this year!

And why do we want Dougherty? Wasnt highly recruited or ranked very high at all. Kid didnt play on a bad ND team. That is a reactionary thought process.
We were tied at the time or the tech, right? Or down 1 or 2.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

How is Rhody’s APR looking after these endless transfers and Sheppard’s grades?

I understand there is a level of churn in 2019 college basketball but it does seem like Cox has the transfer rate running a little hot right now?
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago

We were tied at the time or the tech, right? Or down 1 or 2.
Down 1 WV ball. No doubt it cost us a chance at the game but didnt cost us the game.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

The hits keep coming. I wish that Dana could have stuck it out. He was a decent player that seemed to shine in situations where the refs were letting them play. Hope everything works out for him going forward.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

I may be way off on this, but did he perhaps envision himself the heir apparent to CL with just one year to go?

Now with the emergence of Harris, Walker, and possibly Doherty and maybe even Richards, not to mention Toppin, perhaps he doesn't see that happening and wants a fresh start somewhere else.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

STC wrote: 4 years ago How is Rhody’s APR looking after these endless transfers and Sheppard’s grades?

I understand there is a level of churn in 2019 college basketball but it does seem like Cox has the transfer rate running a little hot right now?
Well, in fairness, 2nd year coach, he's still shaping the team to be a "Cox Team" as opposed to a leftover "Hurley Team"

Sometimes, that could be a bad thing, but in this case, from what we have seen thus far, I willing to give Cox a blank cheque and see where this goes
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I’m disappointed. Maybe it’s me but I think that many of athletes who enter the transfer portal are showing a major weakness of character. Whatever happened to owning your own mistakes and persevering to redemption? Those are the players I want on my team.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago
STC wrote: 4 years ago How is Rhody’s APR looking after these endless transfers and Sheppard’s grades?

Well, in fairness, 2nd year coach, he's still shaping the team to be a "Cox Team" as opposed to a leftover "Hurley Team"

Sometimes, that could be a bad thing, but in this case, from what we have seen thus far, I willing to give Cox a blank cheque and see where this goes
Hammond and Mading were Cox guys and to a lesser extent Tate since he came during the transition but still was buying into Cox at the time. This is more then rounding out a roster with Cox’s guys.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago I may be way off on this, but did he perhaps envision himself the heir apparent to CL with just one year to go?

Now with the emergence of Harris, Walker, and possibly Doherty and maybe even Richards, not to mention Toppin, perhaps he doesn't see that happening and wants a fresh start somewhere else.
I have no way of knowing, of course, but would suggest that, if he were unsuspended, we'd not be having this "maybe he thought______" conversation at all.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

A left over Hurley team?????? Cmon, Cox had the #1 recruit class in the A10 his first year. And most were his guys. He gets no blank check from me.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Without knowing the infraction, it's impossible to know the severity of the punishment. Maybe this length of discipline was necessary.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago A left over Hurley team?????? Cmon, Cox had the #1 recruit class in the A10 his first year. And most were his guys. He gets no blank check from me.
Wow.

You're like that lady in the old Hanes underwear commercials: Inspector 12.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

This sucks - I really liked Dana. I don’t know that he is ever more than a 6th or 7th man on the level of team we want to be and if he has wants to go somewhere and be the man I can respect that, because I think he could be the best player on a lot of teams. But there is a lot of value in being the 6th man on a top 25 team.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

A left over Hurley team?????? Cmon, Cox had the #1 recruit class in the A10 his first year. And most were his guys. He gets no blank check from me.
"Wow.

You're like that lady in the old Hanes underwear commercials: Inspector 12."

You are just flat out wrong. Cox took over a team who went back to back NCAAT with the #1 recruit class in the A10. He was on this team for like 4 years. He is a really good coach, but his roster management has me scratching my head.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I'm just saying, you're tough, is all. You don't give an inch, etc etc etc
Last edited by rhodyfan3000 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

child
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

are you going to be ok?
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Wishing Dana the best! Great kid, good player. I see him going to a lower conference and starting. Not sure if that was ever in the cards for him here.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It's almost like the way things are going, everybody who doesn't start or doesn't have a great chance to play a lot wants to leave.

I know that's not always the reason guys transfer, but it seems like it.

Cox is going to have to figure some things out.

It's becoming more than just a coincidence.

This " big happy family" is scattering to the wind.
Last edited by rambone 78 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

One thing to consider. Cox recruited these student athletes for Hurley. If he’s head coach does he recruit them for himself? Does he recruit differently?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I really don't get all of these mid-year transfers-- Unless they already have a commitment from another school and another coach, this leaves them very little time (eg around 3 weeks) to do due diligence where they might fit the best. And are they also assuming that they will be granted a waiver at the start of next season?

Wonder if he wants to stay in New England?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It is really hard to have a strong opinion on player personnel matters when you (we) simply don't have all the details, context and nuance.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

STC wrote: 4 years ago

Hammond and Mading were Cox guys and to a lesser extent Tate since he came during the transition but still was buying into Cox at the time. This is more then rounding out a roster with Cox’s guys.
Hammond and Mading were Boswell and Sutton recruits.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Whatever happened to change Dana's situation is between him and Coach Cox. I wish Dana all the best. I really enjoyed his enthusiasm and bursts of energy.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Could there be a fundamental flaw in the way this staff is recruiting?

Yes just about every recruit comes on board saying they want to stay and be part of a success story.

But along the way something's not working. Kids are kids, but this is ridiculous.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Weren't they recruited for Cox? Which kinda counters Stevies post.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago

One thing to consider. Cox recruited these student athletes for Hurley. If he’s head coach does he recruit them for himself? Does he recruit differently?
Cox didn’t recruit Dana. Boswell did.
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Weren't they recruited for Cox? Which kinda counters Stevies post.
I said that tongue in cheek....
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I wish Dana Tate the best in his future endeavors and URI has always had the tradition of being nothing but supportive towards student athletes that part ways. There will be no Patrick Ewing like stuff going on, I am certain of that.

At the same time, I'll give Coach Cox the benefit of the doubt on this that it was handled correctly on behalf of the team and the university.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I don't know the particulars of either of our recent transfers but in general, I do not think mid year transfers are a smart way to get the most out of your available eligibility, even if you need to sit a full season with a year end transfer.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago

Cox didn’t recruit Dana. Boswell did.
Ok. Cox and other asst coaches recruited these players. The larger point is if Cox is head coach are his assistants recruiting Tate, Harris, etc. or is Cox looking at other players? That’s the question. These players were recruited for a Hurley head coach.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Could there be a fundamental flaw in the way this staff is recruiting?

Yes just about every recruit comes on board saying they want to stay and be part of a success story.

But along the way something's not working. Kids are kids, but this is ridiculous.
....not suggesting Dana’s situation is similar at all, but I think the “disease of me” kicks in for many recruits that playing time is precious and when they don’t get enough of what they expect they move to somewhere to get more.....the kids just wanna play the game regardless of where.....I suppose in some cases, their heads get filled at early ages that they are stars......not exactly a news flash here, but I do think this is a factor and makes coaching very challenging to dole out playing time and win n games....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

If this were a team on the decent and in trouble, two quick mid season transfers would be a possible red flag of an ailment.

But that isn't the case at all. The team is evolving and on the upswing, and that last game was a very impressive victory with the Tenn announcers throwing superlative after superlative at it. Walker is a tremendous addition, which was a true Cox recruit, and we are all familiar with the history of Cox keeping Harris committed when he first became coach.

The elder statesmen players, Jeff, Fatts, CL, and even Tyrese all buy into his system. And his recruiting prowess is full speed ahead.

IF this were year 6, and this kind of roster change were occurring, perhaps the judgement would be slightly different. But this is year two, give the coach some space and the flexibility to make his own personnel moves.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago I wish Dana Tate the best in his future endeavors and URI has always had the tradition of being nothing but supportive towards student athletes that part ways. There will be no Patrick Ewing like stuff going on, I am certain of that.

At the same time, I'll give Coach Cox the benefit of the doubt on this that it was handled correctly on behalf of the team and the university.
Y'never know...there may be limits to what URI can, or wants to share, about this situation. Reluctance to do that (which might be in the best interest of URI AND Dana) may hold things up and be seen as obstruction. Until you know...you just don't know. The whole thing is just really odd. IF whatever happened gets to be public...going to be a whole lotta people saying "Whaaaaaaaat?" either in reaction to what he did, or how it was handled - one or the other (I have no idea which) ..almost guaranteed.
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

Unread post by cRAM4finals »

I was a big Dana Tate fan from day one. He just seemed like a very athletic kid with lots of energy. I always called for him to come in when we needed a burst. Was one of my faves until earlier this year when I watched him after getting pulled during the Manhattan game I think. Never high-fived the full bench as guys normally do when they come out. Went straight to his seat and pulled up his hoodie. Think that happened in the first half. Just sat there and pouted. His under his hoodie. Never engaged or applauded the team. Seemed like he sat that way the rest of the game. That changed it for me. Disrespectful to coach and teammates. Then WV tech didn’t help win me over either.

Listen, I really wanted him to be a big contributor. I made a call that he would be a difference maker to people who would listen. I hate being wrong. I don’t know where it came off the rails, but that’s when I took note. My point is you need to show respect your coach and your teammates. If he struggled with that, he needed to find a better situation that worked for him somewhere else. I hate that I was wrong about him being the type player at URI I thought he would be, but maybe it will work out that way somewhere else.

Best of luck Dana.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

The mid year transfer seems dumb to me but it has become a norm almost, to the point where if you want to make a move it may actually make sense to do so now so because a lot of teams have openings (from their mid year transfers) and you aren’t competing for the space on the roster with an immediately eligible and unknown potential freshman.

I am not upset about Cox’s roster management. Dana is the first player to leave that I think could have contributed more than 5-10 mins a game, but I also don’t think on a fully loaded cox roster he is getting more than 15-20 mins a game ever.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Maybe this puts a little more texture on the mid year transfers- 97 already!!!!!

http://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2020
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Who knows what is going on? The team is 8-3 and hitting its stride. Others are becoming available for transfer all the time.

You can lose your minutes immediately to the guy on the bench and your future to some other transfer. That’s modern cbb.

I always thought he was very limited.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Have no idea what is up with Tate, but I do know that during Manhattan game he was visibly upset about getting the quick hook and was totally disengaged during timeouts with his hood up.. not knowing anything else, it still seems like there was something festering there. How do you keep these kids happy.. 13 players can't play 30 minutes a game.. always thought he was going to be a tj type player. Hustling diving team leader.. just didn't work out.. hopefully he finds what he wants.. going to be interesting to see how Cox evens out these classes..
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Rhody72, you were right. I stand corrected.

Really bummed about this one. Loved Tate. I think now a days, if kids see a reduction in playing time, they begin to look elsewhere. Sad about this one.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I don't think he left over minutes.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago I don't think he left over minutes.
I would agree with this- he was getting about 20 per game this year and then it looks like something happened.
He was definitely not as outgoing/gregarious as he was during most of last year.