2019 Offseason Discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2019 Offseason Discussion

Unread post by bigappleram »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Cox needs a younger vet on staff. Not a first time coach. I love TJ, but he needs to cut his teeth at a lower level school first.
Agree, Cox needs a Cox. Meaning he needs what he was to Hurley, someone young, hungry but with high level experience. He needs a younger version of himself. Can't have a staff comprised of 2 veterans and 2 neophytes. Need some strength in the middle.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Cox needs a younger vet on staff. Not a first time coach. I love TJ, but he needs to cut his teeth at a lower level school first.
Agree, Cox needs a Cox. Meaning he needs what he was to Hurley, someone young, hungry but with high level experience. He needs a younger version of himself. Can't have a staff comprised of 2 veterans and 2 neophytes. Need some strength in the middle.
10000% agree
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Would this mean that Carroll is getting healthy? If TJ ended that statement with an exclamation point, I assume it's something good.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Highly doubt Carroll returns.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

You start your “need” definition with “someone young”. Cox wasn’t young when he first took the Assistant job with Hurley.

Ty is a young coach that is focused on Recruiting.
Cox needs his other two Assistants to be experienced in player development, game planning and help with recruiting.
Unfortunately TJ doesn’t have any player development experience. He has shown he can game plan and has helped with recruiting last year (before all the Assistants were in place). My gut is TJ’s first Assistant job is somewhere else. I wish it was at URI. I don’t think Cox can afford to have Ty and TJ as Assistants right now with their experience and skill set.
“We will be good when we are good.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

With the assistant job posting, that makes it pretty clear Carroll isn't returning.

Would be too bad for TJ, as he's obviously very popular with the team....hope it doesn't come back to bite us.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Any old timers like skinner, martelli type guys would be great. The consigliere needs experience.
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Bring back Penders or Al!

Hey you never know....ha ha

Penders could help with the uptempo game.

Al could help run the flex offense.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
You start your “need” definition with “someone young”. Cox wasn’t young when he first took the Assistant job with Hurley.

Ty is a young coach that is focused on Recruiting.
Cox needs his other two Assistants to be experienced in player development, game planning and help with recruiting.
Unfortunately TJ doesn’t have any player development experience. He has shown he can game plan and has helped with recruiting last year (before all the Assistants were in place). My gut is TJ’s first Assistant job is somewhere else. I wish it was at URI. I don’t think Cox can afford to have Ty and TJ as Assistants right now with their experience and skill set.
Young in relative sense, in college basketball coaching young is still in your early to mid 30s. That is what I think Cox needs, someone who will eventually become a head coach but is still on their upward trajectory, however they bring with them a good resume of high level experience in the areas you identified bc i agree that is where we need help. TJ and Ty are limited due to their newness, cant add a ton to game planning and dont have player development pedigrees.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago With the assistant job posting, that makes it pretty clear Carroll isn't returning.

Would be too bad for TJ, as he's obviously very popular with the team....hope it doesn't come back to bite us.
Bite us how? While some may be sad if TJ left, it would have zero impact on the roster.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I only mentioned that due to the positive impact TJ had on the team motivational wise.

I still think he was at least partially responsible for the late season improvement in attitude, if not the play itself.

The turnaround started right after Carroll left and TJ took his position on an interim basis.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Someone like Geoff Arnold, who gets you into another recruiting area.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Tyson Wheeler?????
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

eli#10 wrote: 5 years ago Tyson Wheeler?????
I've heard no
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I say why not. Certainly an interview is justified.
You heard no--by who??
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Has this been made official by the university? Seems like a big deal to hire a AC.
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think Tyson would be good he has lots of experience in coaching with Fairfield and he is like 43 years old
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think Tyson has been passed over more than once when we've had coaching vacancies.

I guess they don't feel he's a good fit for some reason. But it's not the school's call, it's the head coach who makes it.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......Cox needs an assistant that can attract and develop big men......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago Sounds like TJ might have got bad news about the promotion.....
Meaning??
Someone asked him on Twitter and TJ responded that it wasn't work related.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago Someone like Geoff Arnold, who gets you into another recruiting area.
I've been thinking lately how strong Cox recruits his area that people claim he could recruit. Ppl always claim to recruit an area or attribute an area to a guy, but Cox really delivers. This juco on top of all the other dmv guys is really a lot of players. Like DH pulled Langevine and Munford from NJ and we thought we would be jam packed with NJ guys. I think you could toss Hassan Martin in with the NJ thing.

But really just pointing out that Cox really does have pull in that dmv area. Really impressive.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Take away the fact that Tyson played here and we all love the guy, what does he bring to the table as an assistant coach and recruiter? I am assuming that this hire would be for the top assistant job. Is an assistant from Fairfield really what we should be shooting for? Same with TJ. Absolutely love the guy and want him here forever if possible. But this hire is too important and he isn't ready for that spot yet.

Again, its nothing personal against those guys, but this is going to be an important hire. Has Tyson been bringing in big recruits to the Fairfield level? I honestly don't know, I don't follow them at all.

I really feel like we need to look beyond ex-players and people that we all love and root for. The goal here should not be a feel good story about an ex-player.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago Take away the fact that Tyson played here and we all love the guy, what does he bring to the table as an assistant coach and recruiter? I am assuming that this hire would be for the top assistant job. Is an assistant from Fairfield really what we should be shooting for? Same with TJ. Absolutely love the guy and want him here forever if possible. But this hire is too important and he isn't ready for that spot yet.

Again, its nothing personal against those guys, but this is going to be an important hire. Has Tyson been bringing in big recruits to the Fairfield level? I honestly don't know, I don't follow them at all.

I really feel like we need to look beyond ex-players and people that we all love and root for. The goal here should not be a feel good story about an ex-player.
Agreed. Will be interesting to see what happens. Per URI's job board, today is the last day the applications can be submitted.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
adam914 wrote: 5 years ago Take away the fact that Tyson played here and we all love the guy, what does he bring to the table as an assistant coach and recruiter? I am assuming that this hire would be for the top assistant job. Is an assistant from Fairfield really what we should be shooting for? Same with TJ. Absolutely love the guy and want him here forever if possible. But this hire is too important and he isn't ready for that spot yet.

Agreed. Will be interesting to see what happens. Per URI's job board, today is the last day the applications can be submitted.
Uh oh, better finish my application up then! Wait until you guys see the offense I am drawing up.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago

Uh oh, better finish my application up then! Wait until you guys see the offense I am drawing up.

Please feel free to use me as a reference and be sure to attach your resume as a PDF, Word Docs are not accepted at this time. :lol:
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

(I love summer but) is it November yet?
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I think we’re gonna be kind of good next season.
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That’s our transfer from Gtown???
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

reef wrote: 5 years ago That’s our transfer from Gtown???

The one and only

Antwan Walker
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......for me, with all incoming transfers, I will take a wait, see and comment later approach......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice to see the boys working hard
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Fatts says he wants to gain 20 pounds.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Hey, this could be our shooting coach!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great article by DISano

I have a feeling Dowtin is going to be a successful coach down the road
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Looks like Harris may have had some work done on his foot. He just posted a picture with some crutches and wearing a boot on Instagram about two hours ago.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I think we should not underestimate how well Dowtin will do as a pro player before a coaching career.
Interesting to note that Jeff had a better fg% ,3 pt%, ft %, offensive rebounds , more steals, better assist to turnover ratio than Grady of Davidson.(The only stat that Grady was better than Jeff was defensive rebounds) And now Grady gets a look from the NBA-

This all done with not nearly the support and shooting support that Davidson had.

Kinda of reminds me of Steve Blake of Maryland who had a 13 year NBA career after being 1 2nd round pick.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I think we should not underestimate how well Dowtin will do as a pro player before a coaching career.
Interesting to note that Jeff had a better fg% ,3 pt%, ft %, offensive rebounds , more steals, better assist to turnover ratio than Grady of Davidson.(The only stat that Grady was better than Jeff was defensive rebounds) And now Grady gets a look from the NBA-

This all done with not nearly the support and shooting support that Davidson had.

Kinda of reminds me of Steve Blake of Maryland who had a 13 year NBA career after being 1 2nd round pick.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

McRam wrote: 5 years ago I think we should not underestimate how well Dowtin will do as a pro player before a coaching career.

Agree.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

McRam wrote: 5 years ago I think we should not underestimate how well Dowtin will do as a pro player before a coaching career.

Not so sure about this though...
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago

Not so sure about this though...
I don’t think either is an NBA player. They are both very good college players, but neither would be drafted or would be late second round picks. If Dowtin or Grady go to play in Europe they might succeed, but I just don’t see it in the NBA.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

No boot on for Jermaine
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Who was the 3rd guy? Didn't look like CT or Tyrese...kinda looked like Preston but have to imagine as a graduate he isn't still working out with the team. Also worth noting was Marial squatting 60% less weight than Fatts, should tell you a bit about how much strength work that kid will need to get to what is necessary at Div 1 level.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I believe that was Walker.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

The other big thing for Harris, other than health, is strength. He got stripped off the ball or knocked off a rebound often.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Cyril with the haircut
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Who was the 3rd guy? Didn't look like CT or Tyrese...kinda looked like Preston but have to imagine as a graduate he isn't still working out with the team. Also worth noting was Marial squatting 60% less weight than Fatts, should tell you a bit about how much strength work that kid will need to get to what is necessary at Div 1 level.
The three big guys are Cyril, Harris & Walker.
BAR a weightlifting expert :oops: with the 60% less comment. You forgot the weight of the bar which is either 35 lbs or 45 lbs.
so Mading is using somewhere between 32-35% less weight. This last few months is the first time he has been in a legit S&C program. The others are 1-3 years ahead of him.
The exercise isn’t a heavy weight exercise. It is more about the depth of the squat and the smoothness (slower motion). They are doing this on an incline as well.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Who was the 3rd guy? Didn't look like CT or Tyrese...kinda looked like Preston but have to imagine as a graduate he isn't still working out with the team. Also worth noting was Marial squatting 60% less weight than Fatts, should tell you a bit about how much strength work that kid will need to get to what is necessary at Div 1 level.
The three big guys are Cyril, Harris & Walker.
BAR a weightlifting expert :oops: with the 60% less comment. You forgot the weight of the bar which is either 35 lbs or 45 lbs.
so Mading is using somewhere between 32-35% less weight. This last few months is the first time he has been in a legit S&C program. The others are 1-3 years ahead of him.
The exercise isn’t a heavy weight exercise. It is more about the depth of the squat and the smoothness (slower motion). They are doing this on an incline as well.

I was about to say- not easy with the incline at all.