2/2 | St. Louis | 4:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2/2 | St. Louis | 4:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago

Takes some time to finish that bowl of crow.
But it’s a rebuilding year, right? Come on. You can’t have it both ways. URI wins and you say people should eat crow. URI loses and nobody should say anything negative because it’s a Rebuilding year.

Next 9 games will be very exciting. Yesterday’s victory was tremendous, especially following the Duquesne and UMASS games.

Martin had an A10 Rookie of the Week pair of games although Toppin will likely get that award.
Langevine had an A10 Player of the Week pair of games and I hope he gets it as would be well deserved (queue the Langevine FT criticism chorus :o :o )

But agree losses probably bring out 3-4 times the number of comments :(
Crow in the sense that they’ve written off the team and their capability to win games. It’s a rebuild in the sense that the entire NUCLEUS of what lead us to the promised land is gone! That’s my opinion.

If your negative about the team one game, and the next adjustments are made, kudos should be given. If Dan believed this team would make a tourney run this year, he would’ve stayed. His stock was as high as it was going to get, therefore, he bolted.

Don’t get me wrong, I want heads to roll when we lose, but then the reality of the situation strikes me back down to earth.
Good points
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We could definitely use another guard or 2....Thompson is who he is....he giveth, and he taketh away....and that won't change.

Here's to hoping Hammond can shoot it....and who knows, we might be able to pick up a shooter if Tertsea leaves.....
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago We could definitely use another guard or 2....Thompson is who he is....he giveth, and he taketh away....and that won't change.

Here's to hoping Hammond can shoot it....and who knows, we might be able to pick up a shooter if Tertsea leaves.....
That's next year of course, Rambone, but this year still has a long way to go.

Look at Martin!
Consider that Martin and Harris still are only Freshmen and they keep improving. Langevine keeps improving and only his first year starting.
I'd say the upside trajectory for this year's team is higher than for last year's team that was loaded with experience. That is what makes this team so exciting. We have a legit shot at winning the A10 Tournament.
I'll think more about next year when this one is over.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years agoIf Dan believed this team would make a tourney run this year, he would’ve stayed.
With the UConn job open and offered to him? Nope.

I know he’s his own worst enemy at times, but I really feel for Jermaine Harris. This season has been so frustrating for him. You can see it. Yesterday, he came out aggressive, even with the ill-advised threes, and then a few minutes later, he’s on the bench for the next hour. I don’t necessarily blame Cox for his management of his playing time- almost all coaches bench a guy with two first half fouls. But, I do now believe that any real growth in Harris’s game is going to come in the off-season, not this season.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

RhodysRelevant wrote: 5 years ago So hearing martin had a sick dunk, an another aalley oop? anyone have any video clips where i can catch those plays?

Here are tyrese’s highlights at the end RhodyRelevant
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

Thank you so much, long night at work and plumbing disaster before bed, much appreciated!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

You're welcome. I wouldn't be surprised to see the whole game posted soon
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhodysRelevant wrote: 5 years ago Thank you so much, long night at work and plumbing disaster before bed, much appreciated!
Sorry to hear that...plumbing disasters are a serious drag...I can relate.
The day before Thanksgiving, I clogged our kitchen sink...grabbed a plunger and promptly blew out all of the pipe connections underneath.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

the_one_mike wrote: 5 years ago I find it woefully disappointing that the threads following a loss have twice as many posts within 24 hours. Criticizing Cox, freaking out about the team, etc.

Pull off a major win and basically nothing from the peanut gallery.

Ironic.
Can't blame me. I was Post A Minute Pete. 🙂
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I think Harris has big potential as a scorer, but not like Langevine. I really like his mid-range game; he has a nice shot. I have a feeling he has 3-point range, and coach gave him a shot at it last night, and it didn't work out. I don't see him as a banger either. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up more like a stretch four/five: top of the key, face the basket sort of player. He cannot jump well right now; not sure if injuries or not. Sure wish he could see some more action, but Coach seems to have him on a short leash. Agree with BAR on Tyrese potential. I am going to try to stay level headed as the Davidson game will be very tough to win.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Once Jermaine gets his fouls under control they'll run more plays for him and he'll be good for 10+ points a game. Mark it down.

He started off strong last night with 4 points in first 3 minutes but picked up his 2nd foul soon after. He's very active on defense for a big guy, and I love his motor.

Tyrese is so talented, he's a joy to watch. And I can't wait to see Dana play more consistently. He's another player who'll be in double figures regularly by next year.

The rebuild is real ... and it's gonna be real entertaining!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

UCH21377 wrote: 5 years ago I think Harris has big potential as a scorer, but not like Langevine. I really like his mid-range game; he has a nice shot. I have a feeling he has 3-point range, and coach gave him a shot at it last night, and it didn't work out. I don't see him as a banger either. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up more like a stretch four/five: top of the key, face the basket sort of player. He cannot jump well right now; not sure if injuries or not. Sure wish he could see some more action, but Coach seems to have him on a short leash. Agree with BAR on Tyrese potential. I am going to try to stay level headed as the Davidson game will be very tough to win.
Agree with all of this.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Did anyone else notice one of the best defensive plays ever in this game?

When Dowtin got the ball stolen, fought two guys down the court all outnumbered, poked the ball loose then blocked the shot and got thr ball back going down the other way.

Was insane.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yes, Harris had 2 early fouls, but he didn't commit another one in the game and only played a few minutes in the 2nd half.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago Did anyone else notice one of the best defensive plays ever in this game?

When Dowtin got the ball stolen, fought two guys down the court all outnumbered, poked the ball loose then blocked the shot and got thr ball back going down the other way.

Was insane.
Guilt can be a great motivator
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago Did anyone else notice one of the best defensive plays ever in this game?

Was insane.
Right,
it was an outstanding block and they had two guys at the basket and we only had Dowtin.
But on top of that, he came back down the court and hit a 3 pointer!!!!
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

We should start an over/under of the amount of time it will take JH to get his first two fouls of each game. I think a good time would be three minutes for the over/under. And I’ll be the first to say that it will happen under three minutes in the next game. I’m thinking about the two minute and 45 second mark.

Another point I would like to raise, does it seem to anyone else that JH’s fouls all look basically the same in each game? You have the shoulder into the opponent’s chest and the reach in foulds he seems to always commit. They could save time in the television broadcast by simply playing prior versions of those fouls before each game so we don’t take the time to review them during the game.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago We should start an over/under of the amount of time it will take JH to get his first two fouls of each game. I think a good time would be three minutes for the over/under. And I’ll be the first to say that it will happen under three minutes in the next game. I’m thinking about the two minute and 45 second mark.

Another point I would like to raise, does it seem to anyone else that JH’s fouls all look basically the same in each game? You have the shoulder into the opponent’s chest and the reach in foulds he seems to always commit. They could save time in the television broadcast by simply playing prior versions of those fouls before each game so we don’t take the time to review them during the game.
I rewatched the game on TV. The first foul both announcers were surprised at - neither saw a foul and neither did I.
The second foul, Harris had the ball and there was not much contact but the SLU player flopped like he was hit by a truck. I hate those fake fouls as they try to fool the ref.

But much of Harris’ bench time minutes went to Thompson primarily And also to Tate.

Martin is now getting 37 minutes or so and Thompson is now getting Harris minutes - something I would never want to see happen. Don’t know why Thompson gets so many minutes but it is what it is