Monitoring NCAA Transfers

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Re: NCAA Transfers, 2014 Edition

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Kaza now has to learn "the process."
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

ramfan85 wrote:Kaza now has to learn "the process."
Poor bastard……..
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I thought it was "da process"?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Sweet!

The Affiliates ‏@RIAFFILIATED 52m
Antoine Mason chose Auburn over Providence. Put up 25 ppg last year at Niagara. Will come in and get major minutes for Bruce Pearl. (ESPN)
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

i feel so badly
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I've seen Mason play. PC is probably better off without him.
Wild ball hogging terrible shooter.
Kind of kid who could disrupt an entire offense.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

their fans felt he was the final piece to a definite ncaa bid. delusions of grandeur....young and inexperienced back court, 1 real ball handler, no outside shooting, 1 guy who can play off the dribble but cant shoot and has a bum shoulder. besides henton their front court will leave a lot to be desired on the offensive end. I see a lot of games in the 50s/60s in Providence this year. I certainly like our chances to end the losing streak and do so in a road game.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Any PC fan that thinks they will be as good as last year or better is doing a disservice to cotton and batts. Like batts wasn't a leader? That doesn't matter?

They beat us by a point with our team in turmoil(hares absence, transfers figuring out they aren't very good, frosh stars learning). Outside of henton they aren't very good. Worry about us? Aren't they @brown again? They better worry about going 0-2 on hope street.

Kaza? Hahhaah.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

PC should have one of the best defenses in the country. Correctly stated though, there is legitimate concerns on the offensive end. Most figured have a proven scorer would eliminate some of the concerns on where the offense would come from ... But when you bring back only 3.6% of your guard minutes from last season, there are going to be major growing pains with that group.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

as i said, expect a lot of games in the 50s in Friartown this year. Defense is great, but IMO good offense beats good defense in college hoops. it is hard to overcome 10 minute scoring droughts no matter how stingy your defense may be. you are also basing this claim largely off a freshman (Chukwu) who has never played against men that will push him around, a Clev State transfer and a PG who hasn't shown the ability to endure the physicality of Div 1 hoops and appears to be pretty fragile.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote:as i said, expect a lot of games in the 50s in Friartown this year. Defense is great, but IMO good offense beats good defense in college hoops. it is hard to overcome 10 minute scoring droughts no matter how stingy your defense may be. you are also basing this claim largely off a freshman (Chukwu) who has never played against men that will push him around, a Clev State transfer and a PG who hasn't shown the ability to endure the physicality of Div 1 hoops and appears to be pretty fragile.
Well, Desroisiers while limited offensively, was one of the better defensive centers in the Big East last season. Between him and Chukwu, even if Chukwu struggles with the physicality, both of them should be able to do a fantastic job of locking down the paint. Henton, while an average defender, will be backed up by Bentil, who projects to be one of the better defensive players in this recruiting class. Harris, who was a defensive liability at times last year, will be backed up by Jalen Lindsey, who projects as the Friars best all-around recruit, but was known last season for being the best perimeter defender for Huntington, who plays all of the top programs/recruits in the country. Lomomba from Cleveland St., another one of those lengthy players known more for defense than offense. And then of course Dunn, who when healthy, is an elite level defensive player at the D1 level. I would be surprised if they weren't a Top 25/30 defense with those players. Offense though? Different story.Lots of games in the 50s might be overstating it though, might want to scale that back to the 40s.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Its fair for the Fryas to have optimism right now. Still, looking from Kingston at them, there isn't anything that makes me believe our team won't beat them. I actually forgot about Fortune leaving.

Even with the 7 footers and Henton, I think we may be the more physical team that game. EC is just huge, JT is a monster and then down low we will be big, especially if JR can play the 3. BUT JR is anything but physical, tall for the 3 though.

I mean big in terms of muscle and in some cases a little height.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

agree with that RJ, still think it will be long season in friar-town...your two best returning scorers, Harris and Henton, are not good defenders or ball handlers. While Bentil may become a defensive force, he will be a liability on offense, so will you sit one of them to get him in the game? Your center position will give you basically zero points, so they better block 20 shots. I think next year you have one of those teams that are tough to coach, a bunch of talent but not very interchangeable. These guys give you good offense but defense is lacking, these guys make us tough defensively but who will score. We have had teams like that in the past and they have made for long seasons. On top of all that you lost an AA guard who undoubtedly made Harris and Henton look better than they are, especially with Henton it will be interesting to see what he can do when he is the focal point of the defense. I would guess his touches go up but his points go down without Bryce drawing the attention of the defense.
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:I've seen Mason play. PC is probably better off without him.
Wild ball hogging terrible shooter.
Kind of kid who could disrupt an entire offense.

Rod, I have not seen him play but value your opinion if you have seen him more then once. Would you say he has a game similar to Gerard Coleman but a better FT shooter?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Pretty much. He relies on his athleticism to get to the basket,
doesn't have a great handle, and really can't shoot or pass.
Honestly I think he'd be more of a disruption than an asset.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

A 25 pt. per game scorer at Niagara, will equate to about half that in the SEC.

He won't be anything special.

A little different level of competition, don't you think?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

IF PC's new players turn out to be the real deal, like EC and Hassan and develop quickly, and Dunn stays healthy and Henton has a beast of a season like Cotton did last year, then PC could be in the conversation for an NCAA bid.

That's asking a lot. More likely they are NIT candidates, at best.
woodennickel1
ARD

rodfromcranston wrote:Pretty much. He relies on his athleticism to get to the basket,
doesn't have a great handle, and really can't shoot or pass.
Honestly I think he'd be more of a disruption than an asset.
Thanks, I kind of had a feeling this might be the case. The only thing I read that I really liked about his game was he got to the line a lot and was a decent ft shooter.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

No one will have a season like Cotton in PC black for quite some time, not taking away from what they have moreso pointing to what a great player he was. He truly made everyone around him better, and for that reason I think someone like Henton will actually see his numbers flatten or even go down from last year. Lindsey is their best hope for someone coming in right away and contributing on both ends of the court. Hassan turned out to be a great defensive player, but looked lost for the first 10-15 games, expect the same from Bentil and Chukwu. The jump to college is a big one, especially for bigs playing interior defense against grown men.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Would have been interesting to have seen a Napier/Cotton matchup late last season.

Napier had more help, but PC for some reason has always given UConn fits.
woodennickel1
ARD

bigappleram wrote:No one will have a season like Cotton in PC black for quite some time, not taking away from what they have moreso pointing to what a great player he was. He truly made everyone around him better, and for that reason I think someone like Henton will actually see his numbers flatten or even go down from last year. Lindsey is their best hope for someone coming in right away and contributing on both ends of the court. Hassan turned out to be a great defensive player, but looked lost for the first 10-15 games, expect the same from Bentil and Chukwu. The jump to college is a big one, especially for bigs playing interior defense against grown men.

I agree the freshman may struggle at first but I can see a guy like Desroisiers stepping up on offense more this year. He was pretty highly touted coming out of high school and I can see him taking a more active role with Batts gone.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

cant see a guy (CD) who averaged 4ppg and 3 ppg respectively in 2 playing seasons making a huge jump in his 4th year in a college environment....sure he will make slight improvements with more PT and with no other interior threat on the team, but he is slow and soft, and clearly shot blocking is his greatest asset to your team.

I also love seeing a URI topic sitting on the top of your board....similar to the 11 page Terrell thread. The comments about the A10 vs BE are laughable. Does your fan base watch any basketball besides BE hoops?

RJ, you keep saying you can't base it on 1 season, but why not? That is all there is to measure the new BE vs the A10....the old BE history and credentials are irrelevant in the conversation. You can continue to say its 1 season, and your ignorant fan base can keep laughing at the notion, but the ncaa committee, national media and most basketball experts would agree that the conferences are on on similar levels. You had Buzz leave 1 of the 2 most marquee gigs in the league, your TV ratings similar to Public Access TV, one of your upper echelon teams last year (PC) had to literally win the conference to sneak into the tourney, Cotton had a season for the ages but no one outside New England ever heard about it. And you want to pretend all is rosy? Yes it is, if you are a mid major conference, which you are...just like the A10.

Looking at this upcoming season do you expect a huge uptick from the BE? No McDermott, No Cotton, no players even close to their caliber still in the league. No undeniable top 10 team...dysfunctional st johns will be picked to finish near the top and likely tank away the season. marquette, creighton, depaul and butler will all be average to below average teams. So next year you have Nova and G'town (u better hope) as definites and then a lot of question marks....we have VCU, Dayton and GWU who should all be pre-season ranked 10-35 range. I would venture to guess come next March the leagues will once again be on equal footing....then you can say "well you cant base it only on 2 seasons".
Jks1985
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Jks1985 »

Can definitely see Desrosiers average about 8pts, 8rebs, and 3-4 blocks per game. The guy is a blocking machine.

The biggest hole for PC is the 2 guard spot. Fortune leaving really hurt them. I guess it will have to be either Junior Lamomba or Jalen Lindsey (can he play the SG?) to step in there.

As long as Dunn stays healthy, I think PC will return to the NCAA's again this year. Henton is too good, and I think Harris, Desrosiers, and Dunn will really step it up.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

so you expect CD to basically double or triple his career production numbers in his 4th year in a college setting....that would be fairly abnormal. Its not like his minutes will double, so that seems like a high expectation. he is a 7 footer so yes he will block shots, but he is soft and slow. Not sure him turning into close to a double double guy is a realistic expectation.

I think your entire fan base is missing the boat on how much BC will be missed just because you have Dunn waiting in the wings...Dunn is an elite defender, and a great penetrator, but he is a lousy perimeter shooter and defenses will sag on him. Also a zone defense will completely mitigate what he does best. He is more of a true PG than Bryce, but not nearly as much of a threat as BC and much easier to contain. Henton was very good as the 3rd or 4th option with a PG drawing double teams, we will see when he is the man and the focal poing of the defense if he can still put up those numbers....he is an undersized 3/4 with PF skills but a 2G body. He does yeoman's work for PC, but I am not sure he is the stud you want to rely on to carry a team offensively.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

BAR, I've said all along you can't base it on one or two seasons, but need 5 (minimum) to say one is firmly planted with or ahead of another. Why? Because any one team can have a good or bad season. I say that with respect to my own team. PC has not been good for 10 years. While I may not think it is simply lightning in a bottle, from the perspective of one good year out of 10, I would want to see a strong sample before proclaiming their greatness. I think the same thing can be said for many of those emerging A10 teams from last season ... Does one or two years prove anything, or just a special group of kids that temporary elevated their respective program to the next level? That's my profession though, everything we analyze is trend based, to avoid outliers and inconclusive data. The gap has clearly closed though, the combination of the A10 elevating performance (1-3 bids to 3-5 bids) and the Big East losing certain programs has minimized what used to be a significant difference.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

VCU, Dayton, St Joe's and GW are emerging programs? 2 of them were ranked #1 in the last 10-12 years, 1 of them went to a FF a few years ago, and Dayton has been a basketball hotbed for decades. Did you just start following the A10? Further i said fine discount last year, look towards this year....do you see much changing? We may lose 1-2 bids, but likely its neck and neck when all is said and done for total ncaa bids. I am not saying A10 is better, I am saying they are very close to equal. Yes the Big East brand carries more cache and name recognition, entirely based on history and programs that are no longer in the league, but moving forward there is no reason to believe the leagues will have a ton of disparity in the near future.

Reading your board is a joke....your fans are putting PC and Dayton against each other like its the NY Yankees and the Cranston East Bolts. Do your fans watch basketball? Do they realize Dayton was an Elite Eight team last year and will likely be a pre-season ranked team this year or very close to it. What rock do they live under? It's embarrassing for folks like you who seem to know their stuff.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote:VCU, Dayton, St Joe's and GW are emerging programs? 2 of them were ranked #1 in the last 10-12 years, 1 of them went to a FF a few years ago, and Dayton has been a basketball hotbed for decades. Did you just start following the A10? Further i said fine discount last year, look towards this year....do you see much changing? We may lose 1-2 bids, but likely its neck and neck when all is said and done for total ncaa bids. I am not saying A10 is better, I am saying they are very close to equal. Yes the Big East brand carries more cache and name recognition, entirely based on history and programs that are no longer in the league, but moving forward there is no reason to believe the leagues will have a ton of disparity in the near future.
St. Joe's has been to 2 NCAA Tournaments since their amazing run back in '04. Both times they were a high seed eliminated in the first round.

George Washington made their first tournament run since 2007, where they became a mediocre A10 team.

Since 2004, Dayton has made 2 NCAA Tournaments. Unlike St. Joe's, they do post a 4-2 record and have an Elite 8.

St. Louis, who has been the best of the bunch in the past 5 years, lost most of their roster. Without the past 3 years of appearances, they hadn't seen the NCAAs since the 2000.

And of course there is UMASS, which has a questionable coach, and made their first tourney appearance last year since when, 1996?

There is absolutely zero consistency with any of those teams for me to turn around and say there is a comfortable sample for me to say that will keep up. VCU is the one constant.

I feel I have been more than fair in my assessment of both conferences, to say that the Big East still holds an edge, although that has diminished a little more each season.

As for your statement about bids, you are probably correct. When you have 14 teams, you should get 4 or 5 teams in the tournament every year.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

"Since 2004, Dayton has made 2 NCAA Tournaments. Unlike St. Joe's, they do post a 4-2 record and have an Elite 8."

So given the above please explain how your ignoramus fan base puts PC at such a higher level than Dayton. It's laughable and shows the ignorance and arrogance of the PC fan base. In that same time you have made 1 appearance and lost in the first round.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote:"Since 2004, Dayton has made 2 NCAA Tournaments. Unlike St. Joe's, they do post a 4-2 record and have an Elite 8."

So given the above please explain how your ignoramus fan base puts PC at such a higher level than Dayton. It's laughable and shows the ignorance and arrogance of the PC fan base. In that same time you have made 1 appearance and lost in the first round.
Who put PC higher than Dayton? The only time I saw Dayton was brought up is because some of the rumors of Josh Fortune was that a big reason he was choosing to transfer was because people around him were telling him he could move to a big-time power program (like a UNC or Kansas). His list that was released seemed like the list of someone who misjudged terribly. Most PC fans aren't putting PC above Dayton, Colorado, Cal, Minnesota, etc., just saying that the move is lateral at best in many of those situations and that he whiffed on his expectations on where he thought he would end up. The only slightly negative comment on Dayton was:

"As far as Dayton, Colorado or Memphis go, they are relatively close in success one way or the other, but you are looking at it the opposite of how it should be considered. It's not whether PC is better, it's whether those programs are such an upgrade over PC that he gives up a starting gig at PC to transfer to them. That makes no sense. You don't transfer to the A-10 as an upgrade. If what Boston says is true, it sounds like Fortune had heard some talk that he could go to one of the big time programs, and that talk turned out to be untrue. Otherwise it would have happened by now, or we would have heard of the schools."
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

most of the Fortune thread in last 1-2 days is your fan base shitting on Dayton and Colorado as inferior to the mighty PC, and your whole 1 and done tourney appearance in the last decade. call it like you see it, its right there for you to read. your fan base is largely ill-informed, arrogant and living in the past. oh besides the dumb comments about dayton there are also a couple wonderful comments wishing Fortune physical harm. great ppl you got there.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I suggest you reread the thread. No one said PC was superior to those programs. The worst comments were saying it's not an upgrade to go to a school like Dayton in the A10 given his present role with PC, a starter on a NCAA team playing several minutes a night. For that, most called Dayton, Colorado, and most of the other programs lateral moves. A few argued why he might see them in a more positive light. But there was certainly no shitting on those programs. If you think that, I would encourage you to reread.

And I think it's fair to somewhat mock Fortune given what happened. Apparently those around him thought his value was a lot higher than it was. They thought UNC and Kansas, they've gotten Colorado and Dayton, and even in that, they've gotten zero offers. However I do agree, some people can be pretty classless, but that is consistent of every program. You'll always have a few knuckleheads in every fanbase.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

[quote="bigappleram"]most of the Fortune thread in last 1-2 days is your fan base shitting on Dayton and Colorado as inferior to the mighty PC, and your whole 1 and done tourney appearance in the last decade. call it like you see it, its right there for you to read. your fan base is largely ill-informed, arrogant and living in the past. oh besides the dumb comments about dayton there are also a couple wonderful comments wishing Fortune physical harm. great ppl you got there.[/quote]

Hyperbole at it's best; MOST of the Fortune thrread is crapping on Dayton, Colorado. I'd love to link the thread to show how full of crap you are; but I'm sure it's not allowed. As far as PC's "great fans" wishing Fortune physical harm; shall we revisit the Billy Baron thread and what the classy Rhody fans said about him? How about the Jordan Hare thread before he decided to return? Terrel thread anyone? Fans get excited in the heat of the moment.

If you want to settle the argument about which league is superior; ask yourself honestly if you could switch leagues, would you?
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

seanmc94 wrote:
bigappleram wrote: If you want to settle the argument about which league is superior; ask yourself honestly if you could switch leagues, would you?
No……You, pal, are in a league of your own.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

did someone ask for water? i didnt hear a call for the PC hall monitor to come around....one of your few educated fans and I were having a convo.

never remember anyone wishing physical harm to any of those guys (baron, hare, holton)....some vitriol for sure, but i never read lines like "I hope he breaks a leg" and "i hope he tears an ACL" .

another classic from your board is the guy pontificating that last year was the high water mark for the A10 and next year it will revert back to the old disparity.....does that moron not realize the old disparity was because of Syracuse, Uconn, Notre Dame, Pitt, etc. Your fans are morons and you fit right in with them. Like I said, you guys are like the old high school QB waxing poetic about the days he threw for 300 yards against his cross town rival....its pathetic.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

and to answer your question, switch TV contracts, absolutely....switch leagues, nah.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If it's still ok to talk about actual transfers...

theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The Eastern 10, formerly known as the big east, will have to prove itself to be what their fans think they are. So far they haven't. As much as I despised the big east, it carries over to the E10. The conference is like a shill politician with a big campaign fund. Arrogant, full of shit and trying to convince people they accomplished great things when all they did was simply pedestrian.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

theblueram wrote:The Eastern 10, formerly known as the big east, will have to prove itself to be what their fans think they are. So far they haven't. As much as I despised the big east, it carries over to the E10. The conference is like a shill politician with a big campaign fund. Arrogant, full of shit and trying to convince people they accomplished great things when all they did was simply pedestrian.
The New Big East: the Hillary Clinton of basketball leagues!
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

74 +1!!!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Until there's a new school next to Coleman's name I think we need to think he's a possibility
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

6 page thread, 100 replies, 2 idiots wish fortune physical harm. 2%=most to you BAR?

Again, take a stroll through the Hare/Terrell threads and read the flattering things read about them. Might make you give pause about chastising other fan bases about stupid comments.

Please continue with the clever name calling. It really adds weight and intelligence to your argument.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

seanmc94 wrote:6 page thread, 100 replies, 2 idiots wish fortune physical harm. 2%=most to you BAR?

Again, take a stroll through the Hare/Terrell threads and read the flattering things read about them. Might make you give pause about chastising other fan bases about stupid comments.

Please continue with the clever name calling. It really adds weight and intelligence to your argument.
The idiot returns...
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Anything intelligent to add; or just the name calling?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

seanmc94 wrote:Anything intelligent to add; or just the name calling?
For you? Just the name calling......SCREW!!!
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

BillyBoy=keyboard tough guy...

Maaaa! The meatloaf!!! We want it!

I never know what she's doing back there...
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Mods: Can we "deport" Sean now, please?
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

seanmc94 wrote:BillyBoy=keyboard tough guy...

Maaaa! The meatloaf!!! We want it!

I never know what she's doing back there...
seanmc94: Why is it, really, every time you mention meatloaf and someone's mother that I go I-C-BALLISTIC?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Because it's neither the first time, nor the second????? No. It's just that you never-ever learn….to leave our Keaney Blue friends alone!!!!!!!!! Especially, Billyboy.

REMEMBER THIS??????
Well, seanmc94, you're an easy search with Google! You've got more profiles on more sites than President Prism! Tally 'em up and you've got your own Meta-Database of posts!
Screw your mama's meatloaf, boy, she must have a whole freakin' buffet laid out for you…. :lol:
Hey….They still use dumbwaiters, or do you just self-serve???? 8-)

P.S. You know what would be hilarious???? If Abu did get out of his LOI.
P.P.S. You know what would be even funnier???? If Dunn did announce that he's transferring -- because he heard a NEW LONDON STREET RUMOR -- AND THEN THOUGHT ABOUT IT AND LIKED THE IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

seanmc94 wrote:6 page thread, 100 replies, 2 idiots wish fortune physical harm. 2%=most to you BAR?

Sean does it ever get exhausting trying to police a rival's message board for every little thing said about your team? Have you ever considered maybe its an uphill battle? Do you know any actual people you could maybe try and interact with? I'm worried about you...
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Instead of calling on the moderators to ban Sean, why don't people just personally block him. The board got a lot better when he was added to my foe list. If anyone needs help on figuring out how to do this I'd be happy to help.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RhowdyRam02 that's what I did. If enough people blocked him, it would be like he wasn't even there .....
Slava Ukraini!